Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 08:22   #76
BHPian

Hot Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
I'll ask someone to bring this post to my wife's notice, lets see if I get a hotwheels bug for my birthday .
Did you mean this-
Beetle - my B'day present-img_1482.jpg
Old 1st April 2010, 19:24   #77
BHPian

You are indeed a very very lucky man, as many of us are, who have wives that endure our automotive obsessions with patience and smiles! What did you give your wife in return? This year, my wife turned a milestone in years and I got her a car that was manufactured in the year she (and for the record, I) was born. Now go out for a loong romantic drive with your wife! Enjoy!
Old 1st April 2010, 23:53   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Your head light lenses are upside down -- those "eyebrow" areas should be on top. I also wonder if they are bus lenses as the fluting is horizontal instead of vertical (these would be fitted sideways on the bus and then the fluting would be vertical).

You probably already know that the bumpers are the wrong year. I've seen the right style bumpers made locally so perhaps that's an option.

Have fun with the restoration.

BN
Byas, i too felt the same, but on close inspection, found Hella at the bottom and arrow mark saying its UPRIGHT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
I was under the impression that this purple bug was a restored one.
From the photos and works pending it looks like a unrestored specimen with lots of money still to be spend on it. srisha, if you dont mind please reveal how much you had to pay for it?. Being a left hand driven vehicle it should definitely have come at a handsome discount
There was a left hand bug for sale in ebay from Poona .was quoting 2 lakhs
This purple bug was restored by me 2.5 yrs ago for my friend. He sold it to someone in HYDERABAD.

Once Srisha got in touch with me for a car, i could only think of this car since,

1) This was a KA registered car and since Karnataka has lots of stringent regulations about registering out of state cars, this was the best buy.
2) This car was purchased at Rs 3.53 lacs, inclusive of transportation, well better than any Beetles that were available for sale across India.( That Pune car is worth half the price quoted)

What makes you think a LHD car offers huge discounts

The car is undergoing some mechanical refinements, since the car had run only 47 kms in 2.5 yrs, with NO TLC. And that is BAD for any VW.

Kishore, any old car purchased will have certain refinements you need to do. This only betters its prospect of being a daily driver, while some guys prefer a show piece that can run only once a year.

Any guy owning an old classic or a vintage would understand my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congratulations on the super gesture. Wish you many years of happy motoring ahead. The bug can make for a great daily driver once mechanically fit. Cosmetics can keep happening later...

I too noticed the reversed fluting, though if these are Indian repros they might be the way they were made.

You must change the bumpers eventually, this style simply does not match the car. If you are in the mood for splurging, you can order fabulous repros for about 400$ each, shipping extra. If you look hard though, a used set should come up locally.

Very rarely when you buy a car of this age will it be a no expense job. Even fully ready cars can deteriorate quickly. It is a given that work will always be required on these kind of cars. It took me the better part of 9 years to get my Beetle moving, and she still needs so much work. We all proceed at a pace comfortable to us - time wise, mechanic wise and money wise. Believe you me, a rolling restoration can be tremendous fun.
You are right Karl. Problems arose mainly due to keeping the car in a STATIC condition after restoration for 2.5 yrs.

About the headlights,i shall post some close up pics of the headlight lens, you might be able to decipher better.

Karl, you are right about the bumpers, they dont belong to this model. But this was the only pair of bumpers available during restoration. The towel rail bumpers are available in Bangalore, brand new, and asking price is 7500 - 8000 pair.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 1st April 2010 at 23:55.
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:27   #79
BHPian

Congratulations Srisha.
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:52   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Byas, i too felt the same, but on close inspection, found Hella at the bottom and arrow mark saying its UPRIGHT.

This purple bug was restored by me 2.5 yrs ago for my friend. He sold it to someone in HYDERABAD.

Once Srisha got in touch with me for a car, i could only think of this car since,

1) This was a KA registered car and since Karnataka has lots of stringent regulations about registering out of state cars, this was the best buy.
2) This car was purchased at Rs 3.53 lacs, inclusive of transportation, well better than any Beetles that were available for sale across India.( That Pune car is worth half the price quoted)

What makes you think a LHD car offers huge discounts

The car is undergoing some mechanical refinements, since the car had run only 47 kms in 2.5 yrs, with NO TLC. And that is BAD for any VW.

Kishore, any old car purchased will have certain refinements you need to do. This only betters its prospect of being a daily driver, while some guys prefer a show piece that can run only once a year.

Any guy owning an old classic or a vintage would understand my point.

You are right Karl. Problems arose mainly due to keeping the car in a STATIC condition after restoration for 2.5 yrs.

About the headlights,i shall post some close up pics of the headlight lens, you might be able to decipher better.

Karl, you are right about the bumpers, they dont belong to this model. But this was the only pair of bumpers available during restoration. The towel rail bumpers are available in Bangalore, brand new, and asking price is 7500 - 8000 pair.
At least, here in malayalanadu LHD cars trade at huge discounts to their right hand siblings, the usual trading prises of 123 benxz is 2-3 lacs but left hand drive 123 cars sell below 1 lacs
that is why I thoght that left hand cars sell at huge discounts
Old 3rd April 2010, 15:45   #81
BHPian

Pavan/Srisha,
Have you guys seen or test driven the vehicle when it was in Hyd, if not what makes you think it is poorly maintained?. It is in much better shape than before. I put in lot of effort, time and money into getting it to where it is today (see my post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...le-here-5.html) and you guys say it is poorly maintained. If this was the case then you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. I didn't sell you a rusting piece of junk so, please refrain from making these statements.
Thanks
Old 5th April 2010, 02:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new aquisition. Sorry but i arrieved at this thread late.
Old 5th April 2010, 11:55   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Did you mean this-
Attachment 319840
BTW nice bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Why dont you do the reverse, by one for your wife's birthday that way she will allow you to have one
Thats a wonderful piece of advice, in that way I would have to sleep outside. She has issued several warnings against by urge to get any more or new rides
Old 5th April 2010, 20:45   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automannj View Post
Pavan/Srisha,
Have you guys seen or test driven the vehicle when it was in Hyd, if not what makes you think it is poorly maintained?. It is in much better shape than before. I put in lot of effort, time and money into getting it to where it is today (see my post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...le-here-5.html) and you guys say it is poorly maintained. If this was the case then you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. I didn't sell you a rusting piece of junk so, please refrain from making these statements.
Thanks
Kalyan, thank you for visiting this thread,

The following reasons make me feel, the car was poorly maintained -

1. Car was dirty inside and outside, looked like as if it was not used for months and parked in a garage. Look at the front wheel in the pix which shows the dirt acucmulated. And other pictures for the rest of the area...

2. Break fluids leaking

3. Gear bedding completell worn out, car doesnt move in first gear

4. Car had run only about 50kms in the last 2 years, was the odo working or not? Because when we checked it is working

5. And other minor issues like starting problem, jammed brakes, corroded bumpers....

Kalyan, I know we didnt test drive the car, since this came as a gift and my had no choice but only to trust you when you claimed the car was serviced only a week before dispatch and also because this car was restored by Pavan few years back.

I am sorry, I cannot refrian by hiding the facts and will be vocal about these.
Attached Thumbnails
Beetle - my B'day present-photo0175.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-photo0177.jpg  

Old 5th April 2010, 21:56   #85
Senior - BHPian

Are boss there will always be issues with Old cars, it is part and parcel of owing them, you are lucky to have a beetle. And since Pawan is taking care, your baby will be all right.

You bought it, enjoy it (Quote from Love bug Herbie film) .
Old 5th April 2010, 22:25   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Are boss there will always be issues with Old cars, it is part and parcel of owing them, you are lucky to have a beetle. And since Pawan is taking care, your baby will be all right.

You bought it, enjoy it (Quote from Love bug Herbie film) .
@Manish, I am not at all worried about the current issues with the car, all we are saying is that the car was not well maintained while it was with the previous owner.
Old 6th April 2010, 12:20   #87
BHPian

The following reasons make me feel, the car was poorly maintained -

1. Car was dirty inside and outside, looked like as if it was not used for months and parked in a garage. Look at the front wheel in the pix which shows the dirt acucmulated. And other pictures for the rest of the area...
The front wheel is on spare tyre which I had to replace last minute and that is why it is dirty.
2. Break fluids leaking
There were no leaks before it left Hyd.
3. Gear bedding completell worn out, car doesnt move in first gear
The first gear was shaky even when I first received the vehicle. See my post.
4. Car had run only about 50kms in the last 2 years, was the odo working or not? Because when we checked it is working
It was sparingly used only over the weekends, It was not my daily vehicle. so what is the issue with running only 50kms. My friends baleno has only 3000kms even after 5 years of purchase so does this also make it a poorly maintained vehicle?
5. And other minor issues like starting problem, jammed brakes, corroded bumpers....
I never had starting problem when I had it. I told Pavan I took it out for a spin just 2 days before it left Hyd. As for corroded bumpers, it is very superficial and can be easily fixed.

Kalyan, I know we didnt test drive the car, since this came as a gift and my had no choice but only to trust you when you claimed the car was serviced only a week before dispatch and also because this car was restored by Pavan few years back.
Correction - I didn't say the vehicle was serviced only a week before it was dispatched. All I told Pavan was that the mechanic was present the day we took it out for a spin, checking out any last minute surprises.

I am sorry, I cannot refrian by hiding the facts and will be vocal about these.
All I am saying is that you should know the facts before you say something.
Old 13th April 2010, 00:10   #88
BANNED

Automannj.

Now its with us and i would rather say its better not to comment. Thank you for the car

Will send you the required documents to get the NOC , kindly send the documents at the earliest.

Some updates on the car.

1) Gearbox Bedding = Very funny thing happened here. I give the damaged bedding to 2 of my regular VW Spares supplier's. 1 week and they dont find it. Without this part, its almost impossible to start the car. Suddenly Srisha tells me he's gonna go Mumbai, i start making franatic calls to Delhi and Mumbai. Finally Ratilal tells me he has one lying with him. Off goes Srisha, gets the part, delivers the part at my house at midnight 12:30

This problem is now fixed

2) Starter = Had a bendex problem, found one suitable, and the starter is now fixed.

3) Dynamo = Brushes worn out and little trouble with the core, got them rectified and the dynamo is running fine, The electrician has taken liberty in adding a smaller pulley for faster charging.

4) Loading plate= Had become smooth and slippery, got it faced at the lathe and now is good to be used

5) Flywheel = Even this surface had become smooth, got it faced and now ready to be mounted back on the car.

We face clutch slipping and shuddering if we dont "FACE" ( Taking out a miniscule top layer- to achieve even, flat and gripping surface) loading plate and flywheel surface.

6) Engine = Nothing wrong with the engine, just cleaned and fitted back today.

All this done, now we need to finish the pending work, and finally after 3 weeks will be driven to Srisha's house, by weekend Hopefully.

1) Need to change engine oil
2) Need to change gearbox oil
3) Get the car washed thoroughly
4) Check the brakes again
5) Tune it and make it run better
6) Engine bottom air shrouds are missing in the car, need to fabricate them, this is vital for better engine cooling, Surprises me, why it is missing.
Old 2nd May 2010, 23:12   #89
BHPian

Finally my beetle has come home after a long 1 1/2 month, everything noted in the above post have been fixed except for the 1st gear shrudding issue.

The battery in the car had given away and was not charging and replaced with a new battery.

The car runs really well in the other gears except in the first gear. Any expertise is welcome.

Work still pending on the car is -

1. Bumpers to be chromed
2. Engine tin
3. Rear windshield
4. Rear view mirror which was damaged in the garage
5. Rubbing and polish
6. Tail lamps
7. Side mirrors
8. 1st gear shrudding to be fixed
Old 2nd May 2010, 23:19   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
Finally my beetle has come home after a long 1 1/2 month, everything noted in the above post have been fixed except for the 1st gear shrudding issue.

The battery in the car had given away and was not charging and replaced with a new battery.

The car runs really well in the other gears except in the first gear. Any expertise is welcome.

Work still pending on the car is -

1. Bumpers to be chromed
2. Engine tin
3. Rear windshield
4. Rear view mirror which was damaged in the garage
5. Rubbing and polish
6. Tail lamps
7. Side mirrors
8. 1st gear shrudding to be fixed

Ha ha... i know it took too long for you to actually own it.

Congratulations once again.

Once you get the car running fine, you dont need to worry about the rest. all the points mentioned can be completed stage by stage.

We must thank Zozimo from Goa who agreed to send us the Rear glass/ inside rear view mirror and the dashboard grab handles.

Good for you, somehow we are getting spares required, Firstly the Gearbox mounting, secondly the glass and the other fittings. The tail light lenses will be with me shortly. See you are getting there already.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks