Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 19:30   #31
BHPian

Great initiative ... will be watching this thread closely.

I have a question ... at the risk of sounding a bit idiotic:

W115 200D Restoration Project-img_0367.jpg

I have circled the _______ ... well, what is this thing?

I have seen this on old taxi Ambassadors, and the drivers invariably use them to pin their incense sticks ... can't imagine Germans airing their cars out with incense, though!

Would be nice to know ... anyone?
Old 29th April 2010, 20:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenParadox View Post
Would be nice to know ... anyone?
That is the Glow plug indicator, there is a element inside which lights up inside that indicates that the car is ready to start. In this case it should be a Bosch part. And of course it should only be on diesel or dieselized classics.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2010, 00:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
That is the Glow plug indicator, there is a element inside which lights up inside that indicates that the car is ready to start. In this case it should be a Bosch part. And of course it should only be on diesel or dieselized classics.
Thanks, but again...

1. What's a glow plug indicator? I mean, in numerous journeys, I have never seen this thing glow! (In an Ambassador, of course...)
2. "dieselized classics" ... sorry again, I was referring to apna Ambassador. It is a classic, in a different sense, but...

Or am I wrong? Please help!
Old 30th April 2010, 09:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenParadox View Post
Thanks, but again...

1. What's a glow plug indicator? I mean, in numerous journeys, I have never seen this thing glow! (In an Ambassador, of course...)
2. "dieselized classics" ... sorry again, I was referring to apna Ambassador. It is a classic, in a different sense, but...

Or am I wrong? Please help!
Diesel engines require glow-plugs to help starting in cold conditions. These are the heater elements inside the cylinder. These get turned-on when you switch-on the iginition and will go off after certain time ( say 1 to 2 minutes ). We should crank the engine only when the glow is completed. This ensures smooth and reliable start.

Now in modern diesel engines, glow on is indicated via an indicator on dashboard. It is a red coloured lamp with filament like indication. In older systems, we had this thing which you point out as an indicator. There is another heater coil inside it which is also turned on/off with the glow plugs. When you feel warmth emanating from it, you can consider as glow plugs are now hot and engine can be started.
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2010, 17:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Diesel engines require glow-plugs to help starting in cold conditions. These are the heater elements inside the cylinder. These get turned-on when you switch-on the iginition and will go off after certain time ( say 1 to 2 minutes ). We should crank the engine only when the glow is completed. This ensures smooth and reliable start.

Now in modern diesel engines, glow on is indicated via an indicator on dashboard. It is a red coloured lamp with filament like indication. In older systems, we had this thing which you point out as an indicator. There is another heater coil inside it which is also turned on/off with the glow plugs. When you feel warmth emanating from it, you can consider as glow plugs are now hot and engine can be started.
Thank you. That is very comprehensive.

Machdar, please continue ... sorry we took the thread a wee bit off-course.

Looking forward to more posts (and, if at all possible, better quality ... it is a beautiful car, so the pics should do some justice to its beauty...)
Old 30th April 2010, 17:54   #36
BHPian

Hey Golden paradox,

Pls feel free to keep intruding it ad to everyone's knowledge base. As regards the pics - this is the best my camera phone can do !! Will get my camera out when we start stripping the car right now am just collecting the stuff! Should get my hands on a becker radio soon!
Old 4th May 2010, 02:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
Hey Golden paradox,

Pls feel free to keep intruding it ad to everyone's knowledge base. As regards the pics - this is the best my camera phone can do !! Will get my camera out when we start stripping the car right now am just collecting the stuff! Should get my hands on a becker radio soon!
Got the radio yet? Await updates and pics...
Old 4th May 2010, 11:26   #38
BHPian

Well the radio has been found its on its way! So is the hub caps but they are on the way from the United states of America. I should get the shipments next week ! I just cannot wait to get my hands on the radio!!
Old 10th May 2010, 14:59   #39
BHPian

Guys update time,

My Becker Radio has arrived. Its in pristine condition. Attached are the pics ...
Attached Thumbnails
W115 200D Restoration Project-img_0412.jpg  

W115 200D Restoration Project-img_0411.jpg  

W115 200D Restoration Project-img_0413.jpg  

W115 200D Restoration Project-img_0415.jpg  

Machdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2010, 15:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys update time,

My Becker Radio has arrived. Its in pristine condition. Attached are the pics ...
Now that looks good. Is it in working condition ?
Old 10th May 2010, 15:48   #41
BHPian

Yes its in full working condition, refurbished and actually sparkling. Its in great shape !
Old 10th May 2010, 16:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes its in full working condition, refurbished and actually sparkling. Its in great shape !

Congratulations! Did you buy this from the U.S ?
Old 10th May 2010, 16:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you have to pay customs duty on this radio? If so how much? can you share with us more details on the radio thread on the forum?
Old 11th May 2010, 10:41   #44
BHPian

Hi Guys ,

Yes this came from US. I bought on ebay for $175USD paid about 15$ shipping and about Rs.4000/- customs duty nett nett about 12K. It may sound like too much but for its rarity and the condition it is in its well worth it. Actually I may end up having two as another one was picked up for me by a friend in the US.
Machdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2010, 11:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys ,

Yes this came from US. I bought on ebay for $175USD paid about 15$ shipping and about Rs.4000/- customs duty nett nett about 12K. It may sound like too much but for its rarity and the condition it is in its well worth it. Actually I may end up having two as another one was picked up for me by a friend in the US.
Happy to buy that for my W115 mate! if you wish. As that is the only thing missing on mine :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks