Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 21:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
I always have a thought in my corner of mind to buy a classic or 1980/90s mercs and have it as my daily drive.But i cant imagine running behind mechs and spares for it.

But some day or the other i will own one

All the best or the restoration Konjaril !! get us more pics too

Go ahead live your dream. We only live once . I realized my W124 dream when I could afford to. No regrets

Go for it man

Cheers
Old 10th July 2010, 22:52   #17
BHPian

Hey everyone, its very encouraging to see that you liked what has happened so far on the car,i will post more pictures guys, sorry for the suspense, i know it becomes annoying after some time but been a bit stuck with some office work.

Anyway i am sorry but i forgot to mention, the car is mechanically P.E.R.F.E.C.T, i mean i have wheel spun the car almost every time i was not careful with the throttle

We have removed the trims and all because the car was just a disaster from the interior point of view, but the best thing is, the wiring has got a plug-in arrangement, and the plugs dont go in any other plugs than the one its intended to go(now thats what the Mercs is about what say?) well there are glitches but ultimately we will sort it out, for the interior to be perfect we stripped down every switch and cleaned it carefully!

The exteriors were bad, the firewall had corroded, the people who worked on her believe it or not had stuffed some used Flex prints to stop the water from coming inside the car through the windscreen.

The clips and bobbins are another issue, they did break while dismantling, so will have to source new ones from Wurth.

@ GTO , Nandishpal and Harit, i haven't so far ordered or bought any parts , we in fact have gone and opened up the rotors and even the motors down to their armatures cleaned, soldered, greased them to get them to work, we got the wipers for the windshield, wipers for the headlamps, for the radio antenna etc etc all working. we are working on replicating the sunroof brackets ,as some of them had just given up.so i would say it has been a major cost cutting from that aspect. But we will get her to the highest level of finish possible.

@ Machdar how is your baby coming up? i can understand the high you might be getting by just working on her.

@ricky i 200% agree with you man!

@Prashant_benz that is my Modified hero honda CBZ, i have attached a pic

Anyway cheers everyone!!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-my-cbz-copy.jpg  

konjaril is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2010, 22:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by konjaril View Post
I will post more pictures guys, sorry for the suspense, i know it becomes annoying after some time..

Soooooooo...? Where are the pics/updates/anything?! We're all waiting!
Old 23rd January 2011, 00:15   #19
BHPian

Re: My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration

Phew !!! last July i had the post regarding my w126 and its really unfair, that i just didn't have any updates after that. guys the main reason has been a very very busy work schedule and took two gigantic projects at the same time.

Anyway here is something i want to share. we took the car and gave her a wash. Are contemplating of finishing her by feb- end and then start on the conti project .

Am extremely sorry for the crappy mobile phone pics, i will definitely get some better shots next time. now its just assembly and wiring. but, we only work weekends in the workshop, hence the feb-end time line.

oh and yes the car is not even polished yet and she gleams. the paint looks like it was painted yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-1.jpg  

My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-2.jpg  

My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-3.jpg  

My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-4.jpg  

My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-5.jpg  

My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-6.jpg  

My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-7.jpg  

My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-8.jpg  

My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-9.jpg  

My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-10.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2011, 08:59   #20
BHPian

Amazing restoration! Hats off konjaril! awaiting more pics and updates. Is this being carried out in pune? The side skirts look the same as the body colour, shouldn't these have been a different colour, giving the car a two tone look? Finally do we see this beauty on Pune roads soon?
Old 23rd January 2011, 10:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Amazing restoration! Hats off konjaril! awaiting more pics and updates. Is this being carried out in pune? The side skirts look the same as the body colour, shouldn't these have been a different colour, giving the car a two tone look? Finally do we see this beauty on Pune roads soon?
thanks kevin. yes the restoration is carried out in pune, viman nagar. About the dual tone theme, we had options of white+ off white or white + grey. hence you see the bumper unpainted yet. white + grey isn't exciting a lot of us. so we have decided for a white + off white combo.

you will see her on Pune roads by Feb end, right now i just drive her from workshop to home and back.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:10   #22
BHPian

Hey there fellow team bhpians. As u may have noticed the bumpers are not painted yet and are still grey. and one of the side cladding is white.

i want a vote from you guys on which would look hotter? so please put in your views- white +off white or white + grey?

Last edited by konjaril : 24th January 2011 at 15:12.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:19   #23
BHPian

my 2 paisa..

white + grey = staid and booring! white + off white = stately, royalty inside look!
Old 24th January 2011, 16:13   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

By gawd, that W126 looks spanking new. Congrats on getting so far. This is one of my favourite all-time sedans, hence the request : Could we please have more pictures, including of the side profile, rear and interiors? Thanks!

I vote for white + grey. W126 means dual-tone.
Old 24th January 2011, 16:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
my 2 paisa..

white + grey = staid and booring! white + off white = stately, royalty inside look!
yes i understand what you mean and thanks for the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
By gawd, that W126 looks spanking new. Congrats on getting so far. This is one of my favourite all-time sedans, hence the request : Could we please have more pictures, including of the side profile, rear and interiors? Thanks!

I vote for white + grey. W126 means dual-tone.
thanks for the comment GTO. yes i will definately upload more pics by this weekend as that day i dint have a digi cam.the side profile and rear i took were just burnt due to harsh sunlight and the mobile camera sucks in that department. hence didnt upload them.

Also thanks for the vote.
Old 25th January 2011, 10:17   #26
BHPian

White + grey. As GTO said w126 means dual tone and since you have maintained the originality of the car I think you should stick to the color scheme too.

Cheers on the Awesome restoration. Can I know where you procure your parts from? I have a w123 and am looking for some parts for it from a genuine seller or is there a website we can buy it from?
Old 31st January 2011, 23:32   #27
BHPian

Beautifull is the word. Loved her.
I vote for white+grey.
Old 9th February 2011, 23:05   #28

Hi Sunil, This is my first comment on the forum after watching the two of your threads since a long time. Congratulations on the projects these are priceless antiques that not everyone would be able to appreciate. I am looking at venturing a project on my conti as soon as I can figure out the financial intricacies. Help me with any information you think is appropiate.
Old 27th February 2011, 01:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by konjaril View Post
thanks kevin. yes the restoration is carried out in pune, viman nagar. About the dual tone theme, we had options of white+ off white or white + grey. hence you see the bumper unpainted yet. white + grey isn't exciting a lot of us. so we have decided for a white + off white combo.

you will see her on Pune roads by Feb end, right now i just drive her from workshop to home and back.
Hi. The car looks great! Can you tell me who is restoring it in Viman Nagar? I may want to get some work done to my E220.

Thanks
Old 27th February 2011, 01:54   #30
BHPian

you can P.M me for details. the car was done at viman nagar. opposite gigaspace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks