Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 18:44   #31
BHPian

Re: My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration

Awesome job and effort at restoring a beauty!

The best part about a Mercedes is you show them a bit of love and they shine like coming straight from the assembly line. That's the look of your car in those pictures brother.

Simply put I am glued to this.

I keep telling my wife: let's sell all our cars and get a Mercedes; any car with that 'star' will do just fine.

A Black C220 to start with!
Old 10th March 2011, 10:41   #32
BHPian

Thank you so much mandheers, i hope you all the best wishes for your c220 dream and will make sure i comment first on your post.
Old 10th March 2011, 10:49   #33
BANNED

Congrats Konjaril! The w126 is a tank. Great job and congratulations. I suggest you go for dual tone, preferably white and gray. Like GTO said, w126 means dual tone.

Also, please post some pictures of the final outcome. I somehow missed this thread otherwise i would have commented long back! Anyways, I was thinking of buying a w124 and restoring it in the near future. But the maintenance and other issues always kept me back. Seeing threads like these give me inspiration to go ahead.
Old 10th March 2011, 19:39   #34
BHPian

Hey Konjaril, congrats on your beauty. GTO and DMehta are right, dual-tone colours show off the beauty of those W126 series' lines to their hilt.

@mandheers, you're spot on with your take on the love of a Mercedes.

Now to wait for a fine set of pic
Old 12th April 2011, 12:57   #35
BHPian

Hey Sunil,

Have you got the beauty rolling on the streets of Pune yet?
Let us have a look too.
Do Share some pics.

Cheers.
Old 12th April 2011, 13:16   #36
BHPian

thanks a lot, D mehta, kartik krishnan and monaro CV8 for the comments. Yes the beauty is with me and am planning some nice SLR shoot for the same.

BTW i saw you are from pune too monaro, do you attend the pune meets?

Last edited by konjaril : 12th April 2011 at 13:17.
Old 12th April 2011, 19:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Excellent job konjaril. I too am a big time fan of the Mercedes and the W126 according to em was one of the last, real true blue stately cars, in the S class series.

From what i have read the car was owned by you previously too so the mechanicals, you would know of better. Nothing goes wrong with these tanks except maybe the fuel metering device which can be got from any Mercedes Benz breaker abroad. Why i said breaker is because a brand new one will set you back at least 40-50k Rupees.

Another area of concern after long periods of non use is the hydraulic suspension which used dual nitrogen ballasts in the rear to automatically level the car. There was a four wheel hyraulic suspension but i have seen very few examples of it in India, hence im presuming that yours would be a rear only HP suspension. Here the parts could set you back quite a bit. The shocks are frightfully expensive (but available) and the ballasts would have to be got from somewhere abroad only, which is also very steep but a small price to pay for this beauty. Refrain from any suggestions of doing away with the HP suspension. There are many idiots who will advice you that and in have seen some examples of it. The ride is completely off and the car behaves with a mind of its own. You dont want to spoil your restoration with such butchered jobs. This is only if the HP suspension is not working (I hope it it)

I have had the pleasure of owning two of such beauties, one, a 500SEL like yours and another more recently a 300SEL. Both gems but i must admit the power delivery and the wheel spin that the 500 delivers is altogether another story. This car is not about absolute brutal power, so much as it is about style, and the ease of drivability. It really handles like a much smaller sedan if you get used to its stretched length.

With that much rust it would have been more advisable to not paint with masking the vital parts that could be rust ridden. I hope it was completely stripped of all its trim.

Infact my(ex) 300SEL is also with a friend in Poona.

The wooden trims can be ordered from many sites abroad and are easily available in south East Asian countries as a whole. Just remove original and replace. What i had done on my 500SEL (which also had deteriorating wooden inserts) was to get a good carpenter to sand and polish the existing trim (its high quality Burl Walnut veneer for heaven's sake) and get a good carpenter who excels in lamination to give it a few clear poly coats and scrubbing and final polishing to make the old veneer look like a million bucks. We had previously tried this on a friend's 114 240D and the results were astounding. The interior would need a good wash and polish. As far as possible try to maintain the original leather interiors. I guess you would have to change the headliner as these are the most common things to give way but as far as possible, if you can avoid changing the original upholstery, keep the original one, even with a few stitches etc. Best put a nice cover on your seats after through repairs.

The electricals are another point of concern on the W126s. They are bullet proof, till they start going bad or till a newbie electrician tries his hands and gnaws off a wire or two in some trial and error fix. Get the electricals looked into ONLY from a guy who knows his Mercs. Trust me, you will save a lot of headache later.

Parts are easily available and not very expensive.

If there is anything you would want me to help you with just PM me. Ill be glad to help restore another one of my favourite marques. All the best with the restoration.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2011, 20:32   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Konjaril its an awesome job done. Having a look at the initial state the stately car was in and its condition now,the hard work shows.
As GTO and many others have suggested the white and grey combination would look befitting for the lovely car. Even the original Oxford blue shade on this car had grey side skirts/claddings fitted- another fantastic combination.
The older Merc interiors and stately looks on your tank distinguishes it from the newer ones.
The electronic niggles on the newer Mercs are disturbing no doubt, as no one pays a huge premium to buy problems.
Do post more and more pictures.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th April 2011 at 20:35.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:06   #39
BHPian

Konjaril, please ensure that the water drain pipes in the sun roof are replaced as they are prone to corrosion and water leaks inside spoiling the headliner.I found copper pipes locally made solves this problem permanently.Another observation in the picture of the dash-- the oil pressure guage was stuck on the number 3 whilst all other readings being zero indicated that the engine was not running.Although these engines literally are built to last forever mercedes advises replacement of the timing gears and chain after ten years which most owners dont do.If the mechanical history of this 126 is not known please consider replacing them.another weak area especially when a 126 has not run for long periods is the diaphram in the fuel distributor assuming your 126 is fuel injected.Would advise getting a complete unit whilst they are still available.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:36   #40
BHPian

Konjaril,
Some latest pics please? Hope we get to see this beauty soon at one of the Pune meets!
Old 18th April 2011, 12:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Excellent job konjaril. I too am a big time fan of the Mercedes and the W126 according to em was one of the last, real true blue stately cars, in the S class series.

From what i have read the car was owned by you previously too so the mechanicals, you would know of better. Nothing goes wrong with these tanks except maybe the fuel metering device which can be got from any Mercedes Benz breaker abroad. Why i said breaker is because a brand new one will set you back at least 40-50k Rupees.

Another area of concern after long periods of non use is the hydraulic suspension which used dual nitrogen ballasts in the rear to automatically level the car. There was a four wheel hyraulic suspension but i have seen very few examples of it in India, hence im presuming that yours would be a rear only HP suspension. Here the parts could set you back quite a bit. The shocks are frightfully expensive (but available) and the ballasts would have to be got from somewhere abroad only, which is also very steep but a small price to pay for this beauty. Refrain from any suggestions of doing away with the HP suspension. There are many idiots who will advice you that and in have seen some examples of it. The ride is completely off and the car behaves with a mind of its own. You dont want to spoil your restoration with such butchered jobs. This is only if the HP suspension is not working (I hope it it)

I have had the pleasure of owning two of such beauties, one, a 500SEL like yours and another more recently a 300SEL. Both gems but i must admit the power delivery and the wheel spin that the 500 delivers is altogether another story. This car is not about absolute brutal power, so much as it is about style, and the ease of drivability. It really handles like a much smaller sedan if you get used to its stretched length.

With that much rust it would have been more advisable to not paint with masking the vital parts that could be rust ridden. I hope it was completely stripped of all its trim.

Infact my(ex) 300SEL is also with a friend in Poona.

The wooden trims can be ordered from many sites abroad and are easily available in south East Asian countries as a whole. Just remove original and replace. What i had done on my 500SEL (which also had deteriorating wooden inserts) was to get a good carpenter to sand and polish the existing trim (its high quality Burl Walnut veneer for heaven's sake) and get a good carpenter who excels in lamination to give it a few clear poly coats and scrubbing and final polishing to make the old veneer look like a million bucks. We had previously tried this on a friend's 114 240D and the results were astounding. The interior would need a good wash and polish. As far as possible try to maintain the original leather interiors. I guess you would have to change the headliner as these are the most common things to give way but as far as possible, if you can avoid changing the original upholstery, keep the original one, even with a few stitches etc. Best put a nice cover on your seats after through repairs.

The electricals are another point of concern on the W126s. They are bullet proof, till they start going bad or till a newbie electrician tries his hands and gnaws off a wire or two in some trial and error fix. Get the electricals looked into ONLY from a guy who knows his Mercs. Trust me, you will save a lot of headache later.

Parts are easily available and not very expensive.

If there is anything you would want me to help you with just PM me. Ill be glad to help restore another one of my favourite marques. All the best with the restoration.
Sir , i deeply appreciate your offer for help and i will surely trouble you in the coming month for some links. As mentioned by you, my car doesnt have all four independent Hydraulic suspension. Although there is no trouble from the car mechanically whatsoever. I regularly make it a point to crank the car and keep it running on the weekends. As you suggested sir, i havent replaced the parts but opened up and refurverished most of the parts. the Car is truely a tank. every motor which was not working was opened and cleaned and as soon as they were put back they started functioning.

My current hurdle is the sunroof mechanicals. there are a few aluminium cast components which needed to be changed. so instead of buying them new, i am making them out of solid stainless steel as these were very weak components from the manufacturer themselves. I have reverse engineered the components and will get the components CNC cut. am attaching the pics too.
My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-untitled1.jpg

My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-untitled2.jpg

My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-untitled3.jpg

My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration-untitled4.jpg

Also i have maintained the leather seats and most of the upholstery.

The rust was a concern and the car was stripped of not only its trims, but we even removed the windscreen and glasses for denting and repairing before painting the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Konjaril its an awesome job done. Having a look at the initial state the stately car was in and its condition now,the hard work shows.
As GTO and many others have suggested the white and grey combination would look befitting for the lovely car. Even the original Oxford blue shade on this car had grey side skirts/claddings fitted- another fantastic combination.
The older Merc interiors and stately looks on your tank distinguishes it from the newer ones.
The electronic niggles on the newer Mercs are disturbing no doubt, as no one pays a huge premium to buy problems.
Do post more and more pictures.
Sir, i Agree with you totally about the opinions on the newer mercs. anyways i am just waiting for the sunroof to be finished and i will not dissapoint you and take some real classy high quality digital slr pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Konjaril, please ensure that the water drain pipes in the sun roof are replaced as they are prone to corrosion and water leaks inside spoiling the headliner.I found copper pipes locally made solves this problem permanently.Another observation in the picture of the dash-- the oil pressure guage was stuck on the number 3 whilst all other readings being zero indicated that the engine was not running.Although these engines literally are built to last forever mercedes advises replacement of the timing gears and chain after ten years which most owners dont do.If the mechanical history of this 126 is not known please consider replacing them.another weak area especially when a 126 has not run for long periods is the diaphram in the fuel distributor assuming your 126 is fuel injected.Would advise getting a complete unit whilst they are still available.
Sir, that is just an absolute splendid advice on the copper tubes. i will surely make it a point to replace them.

regading the oil pressure guage, its only a faulty connection and that will be rectified. as of now the engine still runs like a horse and can put modern cars to shame.

As you have mentioned about the diaphram sir, there is a minor niggle when the car is stalled for some time(read days) and i crank the car, the fuel pump starts throwing fuel from under the car. but as soon as the fuel pressure regulates,there is no fuel leakage and the pump behaves as there was no problem whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Konjaril,
Some latest pics please? Hope we get to see this beauty soon at one of the Pune meets!
He he. surely i will put up some high quality Slr pics soon. and yes i have made it a point,the next time i attend a pune meet will only be with this beauty! cheers

Last edited by konjaril : 18th April 2011 at 13:19.
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:45   #42
BHPian

Hi Konjaril,I was talking about the fuel distributor in the engine compartment. Your comment about fuel pumps leaking is a different problem.Your 126 should have twin pumps in the rear which become audibly noisy before they fail.And if one pump fails its better to replace both together.From where does the fuel leak? can you be more specific?
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Hi Konjaril,I was talking about the fuel distributor in the engine compartment. Your comment about fuel pumps leaking is a different problem.Your 126 should have twin pumps in the rear which become audibly noisy before they fail.And if one pump fails its better to replace both together.From where does the fuel leak? can you be more specific?

Hello Sir i was aware of the fuel distributor you were talking about and thankfully its perfoming flawlessly. the fuel leak i reffered to is from the bottom right of the vehicle adjacent to the rear wheel. also i didnt really look into it as it seldom leaks and only does so when the vehicle has been standing for more than a month.

The pump is audible but its not alarmingly loud. If i were to change the fuel pump do you have an idea how much would they cost? Thank you again for your answer .
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:13   #44
BHPian

If the pumps are audible its time to change them before a breakdown.They should be available for about ten thousand each and its best to replace both pumps at the same time.Please also consider replacing the timing chain and gear train if you intend to keep the car for some years and drive regurlarly.you should also replace the auto transmission oil filter, something that most owners neglect to do and end up facing avoidable problems.New headlight reflectors will give you good lighting as they tend to become dull with age .You have a lovely machine which will happily cruise at speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour.Look after her well and she will give you many enjoyable years of delightful cruising.
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:00   #45
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

An update would really be lovely - OR has this been updated elsewhere.

Interior snaps would make the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks