Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 12:30   #46
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Is this the Boat Tailed Lagonda you remember seeing at an event in Secundrabad.
Could be Wasif. I may have a picture of the car somewhere, need to fish it out. I remember the person driving it may have been a Parsi gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This Lagonda is air cooled!
Explains why the driver at the Secunderabad event was complaining big time of the very slow speed of the rally !!
Old 12th March 2009, 17:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

This Lagonda is air cooled![/quote]

Not the one in the picture I posted. You can distinctly see the radiator cap and sprout at the top or the grille.

Though Lagonda made an air cooled car around 1911 this is not it.

I don't remember their being any Lagondas in Hyderanad at any time.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

Attached are 2 pics of the MMF Lagonda, today with Mallya. These were recently given to me. Is this at that Rally in Hyderabad? Please check the background and comment as I am just guessing.
And this car was aircooled. And so is the secind car of Mr. Sanghi. And you know that cars like Franklin had dummy radiators, though aircooled.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Lagonda cars in India-lagonda.jpg  

Lagonda cars in India-lagonda-too.jpg  

Old 18th June 2009, 14:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

Not Hyderabad in these pictures. Car is the same as the one I posted. I still am not sure about the air cooled thing with respect to this car
Old 19th June 2009, 00:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not Hyderabad in these pictures. Car is the same as the one I posted. I still am not sure about the air cooled thing with respect to this car
Just curious, are you aware of any Lagonda model which was aircooled of a similar period?
Old 19th June 2009, 22:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attached are 2 pics of the MMF Lagonda, today with Mallya. .
Harit is this the car in shambles in Mallyas garage or is that some other car? One of my clients claims he has a lagonda parked there in very poor shape. Is this the same car?
Old 20th June 2009, 19:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious, are you aware of any Lagonda model which was aircooled of a similar period?
Harit.
I am aware of one model from Lagonda that was actually aircooled but it was not a very popular car and didn't last long. Will post details on these Lagonda cars soon.

The reason I have a doubt about this particular car not being aircooled is the clearly visible radiator cap on the top of the grill.

Now other air cooled cars that came with mock rads, to blend in with others, also had these but in the case of Lagonda their cars vere predominantly water cooled.

They didn't have any reason to give the appearance of water cooled with radiator cap like say Franklin for instance.

Also I have stood next to this car once in Hyd and I am sure there was water behind that chrome grille.

Its the last day of my weekend and I have just returned from a day long desert drive and am feeling too tired to pull out snaps and details on these cars, will oblige tomorrow.

Amol. don't know if this ar is now in shambles with Dr. VM but he did have a similar period Aston Martin which was in shambles. Maybe your friend confuses thes two.

TTFN

Last edited by wasif : 20th June 2009 at 19:09.
Old 21st June 2009, 01:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Harit is this the car in shambles in Mallyas garage or is that some other car? One of my clients claims he has a lagonda parked there in very poor shape. Is this the same car?
Amol, BTW, is this client of yours Vijay Mallya? Because the Lagonda lying with him in shambles was bought from a friend in Chennai. And he had sold this car directly to VM. See post of RDCM 1985 above. Before that it belonged to pharma guy also in Chennai who sold most of his cars to Pranlal, but this and a Citroen went elsewhere. When in Mumbai she was darkish green.

Quote:
Harit.
I am aware of one model from Lagonda that was actually aircooled but it was not a very popular car and didn't last long. Will post details on these Lagonda cars soon.

The reason I have a doubt about this particular car not being aircooled is the clearly visible radiator cap on the top of the grill.

Now other air cooled cars that came with mock rads, to blend in with others, also had these but in the case of Lagonda their cars vere predominantly water cooled.

They didn't have any reason to give the appearance of water cooled with radiator cap like say Franklin for instance.

Also I have stood next to this car once in Hyd and I am sure there was water behind that chrome grille.

Amol. don't know if this ar is now in shambles with Dr. VM but he did have a similar period Aston Martin which was in shambles. Maybe your friend confuses thes two.

TTFN
Wasifbhai, now please have a look at the photos of an unrestored Lagonda I had posted earlier. They appear to be similar models. And the car's photos I posted was 1000% air cooled. It was a relevation at that time. Today that car is in Indore.
Our fellow member Mr. Morris1948 may be able to check if this Lagonda is water cooled when he goes there the next time. Mr. Morris 1948, can you please oblige?
The Aston Martin is another car, maybe in shambles. But I had seen pics of her before VM bought her, yellow in colour and UP registered AND intact.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 21st June 2009 at 01:30.
Old 21st June 2009, 11:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wasifbhai, now please have a look at the photos of an unrestored Lagonda I had posted earlier. They appear to be similar models. And the car's photos I posted was 1000% air cooled. It was a relevation at that time. Today that car is in Indore.
Our fellow member Mr. Morris1948 may be able to check if this Lagonda is water cooled when he goes there the next time. Mr. Morris 1948, can you please oblige?
The Aston Martin is another car, maybe in shambles. But I had seen pics of her before VM bought her, yellow in colour and UP registered AND intact.

Cheers harit
Hi.
please be assured I don't doubt what you are saying. Its very interesting to know of an air cooled lagonda. i wish I had paid more attention to this when I saw the car. But I was probably 14 or so then so please forgive me.

Now when can we see pics of your Adlers and some of the other interesting cars with you, especially the Chargers and the closed Model A cars

Any idea how the Aston fell apart. what a shame to let this happen to such a delightfull little thing. They should have a death penalty imposed on people who do this to such machines !!

Last edited by wasif : 21st June 2009 at 11:11.
Old 21st June 2009, 11:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

TTFN
AAhha he did say Aston Martin but since it was a 30's car I assumed Lagonda, he told me it was in boxes. Any Info about this car Harit, Wasif? I think it had a Parsi owner before he bought it.

Last edited by the mole : 21st June 2009 at 11:24.
Old 21st June 2009, 13:52   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi.
please be assured I don't doubt what you are saying. Its very interesting to know of an air cooled lagonda. i wish I had paid more attention to this when I saw the car. But I was probably 14 or so then so please forgive me.

Any idea how the Aston fell apart. what a shame to let this happen to such a delightfull little thing. They should have a death penalty imposed on people who do this to such machines !!
You just condemned half the film industry! They have destroyed starting with Auburn to Camaro and lots of Yank Tanks in between.

Aston may have fallen apart as its turn had not yet come to be worked upon. But slowly the cars are coming out, and we are sure he knows what he has got, maybe the difficult cars will come out later. It was not in too good a condition when aquired.

My pics will follow soon.

Cheers harit
Old 21st June 2009, 13:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
AAhha he did say Aston Martin but since it was a 30's car I assumed Lagonda, he told me it was in boxes. Any Info about this car Harit, Wasif? I think it had a Parsi owner before he bought it.
Which car had a Parsi owner? The Lagonda or the Aston? I do not think that any had a Parsi owner immediately before Dr.VM. Aston came from UP, Lagonda from Chennai.
Old 21st June 2009, 15:31   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally saw the Mallya Lagonda a couple of months back, but engine was out, so I cant help by confirming air cooled. Currently the twin six Packard is being prepared, that will be a sight to see once done.
Old 11th July 2009, 22:07   #59
BHPian

Permit me to throw some light on the Mallya Lagonda. The car used to belong to Mr. Edhullah Shirazi, who was C. Ravikumar's (of the Jackie Shroff's 540K fame) partner in collecting cars, while they were together in Mumbai and then later on, in Bangalore. I was a close friend of Ravi's and am of Shirazi's too - the latter lives now in Bangalore. Yes, in the early seventies, they owned the Mallya Lagonda and I have Shirazi's word for it - it had a wicker work body, which deteriorated in the rain. Then they built the boat tail body on it. Shirazi recollected once to me about the Hyderabad rally and his complaining that he had to drive slowly. Shirazi thought nothing of driving the car all over the south. Ravi and Shirazi sold it to buy more cars and the person he sold it to, promptly sold it to Mallya. Shirazi and Ravi owned some rare beasts, till they parted company in the late eighties or early nineties. Ravi took the 540K and Shirazi several other wonderful cars, including a Mark II Jaguar. I used to be transfixed with the stories that they told and particularly remember them chuckling over a report in a car magazine about Mallya's Lagonda with a 'one off' boat tail body, recalling how they had it beaten out in some back lane of Mumbai. I'll try and get photos of the Lagonda from him. Shirazi is not Parsi, but is from Persia, belonging to an old and learned family of Bangalore.
tonrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2009, 11:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Permit me to throw some light on the Mallya Lagonda. The car used to belong to Mr. Edhullah Shirazi, who was C. Ravikumar's (of the Jackie Shroff's 540K fame) partner in collecting cars, while they were together in Mumbai and then later on, in Bangalore. I was a close friend of Ravi's and am of Shirazi's too - the latter lives now in Bangalore. Yes, in the early seventies, they owned the Mallya Lagonda and I have Shirazi's word for it - it had a wicker work body, which deteriorated in the rain. Then they built the boat tail body on it. Shirazi recollected once to me about the Hyderabad rally and his complaining that he had to drive slowly. Shirazi thought nothing of driving the car all over the south. Ravi and Shirazi sold it to buy more cars and the person he sold it to, promptly sold it to Mallya. Shirazi and Ravi owned some rare beasts, till they parted company in the late eighties or early nineties. Ravi took the 540K and Shirazi several other wonderful cars, including a Mark II Jaguar. I used to be transfixed with the stories that they told and particularly remember them chuckling over a report in a car magazine about Mallya's Lagonda with a 'one off' boat tail body, recalling how they had it beaten out in some back lane of Mumbai. I'll try and get photos of the Lagonda from him. Shirazi is not Parsi, but is from Persia, belonging to an old and learned family of Bangalore.
Is it possible to confirm if this Lagonda is actually air cooled or water cooled. There has been a lot of discussion on this point but nothing has been concluded on this.

Some pics of the car would be nice too.

Wasif

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks