Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2008, 22:11   #16
BHPian

Another MK V from Bahawalpur from pakwheels.com. There is another MK V photo in the same pakwheels thread but its such a family photo I don't think it appropriate to post it here.
Prewar Jaguars in India-bwp_334-mk-v-pakwheels.jpg

Just to get these 2 pictures in what seems to be becoming a whole new thread Numbers and details for these 2 Delhi cars are on the way.
Prewar Jaguars in India-scan3.jpg
Prewar Jaguars in India-scan0002.jpg

Last edited by Julian UK : 16th May 2008 at 22:21.
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2008, 09:44   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are a few Mk Vs

MYV 5343 was owned by a distant uncle back in the day in Madras or Calcutta. The car was being restored in Pune circa 2000, and I had no idea it was his car once, I had even gotten my hands dirty on it. My uncle said the car was ex Sultan of Brunei. I believe the car is now green, and in Jaipur.

Prewar Jaguars in India-31.5-lit.jagua-1952-convertable-once-owned-sultan-bruni.jpg
Prewar Jaguars in India-jag01.jpg
Prewar Jaguars in India-jag03.jpg
Prewar Jaguars in India-jag04.jpg
Prewar Jaguars in India-jag06.jpg
Prewar Jaguars in India-jag07.jpg

MSZ 6667 was spotted at a Madras (Chennai) rally.

Prewar Jaguars in India-jag02.jpg
Prewar Jaguars in India-jag02f.jpg

USB 2972 is seen next to the blue 120 at a rally in Delhi.

Prewar Jaguars in India-jags01.jpg
Prewar Jaguars in India-jags02.jpg

Collector Ramesh Thakker in Pune had this white Mark V drophead, sold a few years back. It seems to have a WBB regn., West Bengal. I could be wrong.

Prewar Jaguars in India-mark5.jpg

Film maker Muzzafar Ali and his silver Mark V

Prewar Jaguars in India-muzzafar.jpg
Old 17th May 2008, 12:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
One main reason why the car looked odd to me is the design of the fenders. As a child I was in love with the SS100 purely because if those beautifully exectuted front fenders 'dipping down' up front. The ones on Shroff's car appear much shorter and terminate higher up.
Yes both your eyes & your memories are keener than mine. The front fenders seem drastically edited probably remade locally! The rear ones are suspect too but the car is indeed an SS100
HarryWeslake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2008, 17:12   #19
BHPian

pics by karlosdeville

thanks greatly for the selection of pics you have posted, the ones of the MK V convertible where real interesting and I would love to get the chassis numbers of these two,
We do know that only 8 3 1/2 litre MKV DHC where despatched to India.
And with a guess half of these have appeared on this web site.
If we could get numbers we could start crossing them off the list and work out which ones survive
terry mcgrath
terry mcgrath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2008, 12:22   #20
BHPian

jawaharlal Nehru SS1 Airline

This SS1 Airline was sold new to India but is thought to have gone to Ceylon in the very late 1930's where it has survived and has been completely restored.
There is another SS1 Airline originally shipped to India which is now in Indore, Bangladesh registered [MPS9986]
There was a 3rd Airline sent to Calcutta India
Has anyone got any info or photos on these rare cars
terry
Attached Thumbnails
Prewar Jaguars in India-249175_a_b_a90mm.jpg  

Old 18th May 2008, 15:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry mcgrath View Post
This SS1 Airline was sold new to India but is thought to have gone to Ceylon in the very late 1930's where it has survived and has been completely restored.
There is another SS1 Airline originally shipped to India which is now in Indore, Bangladesh registered [MPS9986]
There was a 3rd Airline sent to Calcutta India
Has anyone got any info or photos on these rare cars
terry
So atleast I suppose this accounts for Nehru's car.

MPS 9986 would'nt be Bangladesh registered, but Madhya Pradesh registered, the state in which Indore lies.
Old 19th May 2008, 05:41   #22
BHPian

Indian motor vehicle registration details f

dear all
In many countries the goverment have kept old motor vehicle registration records and these can be accessed under certain conditions to obtaine old registration records o previous owners etc.
Certainly in India today records of all cars currently on the road will be recorded.
Does anyone know i anything like this survives they may be held in the individual states or?
Additionally cars in england had a logbook which gave details of initial registration colour etc and then recorded changes o ownership what documentation is there or an indian car irst registered in the 1930's or early 1950's.
It would be great to get a sample of one of these documents if somthing exists for an SS or an XK
terry
Old 19th May 2008, 19:07   #23
BHPian

SS Jaguar book

I thought I would attach some pics of the SS book we did back in late 2004. It was a limited edition book of only 500 copies of which only 50 were leather bound and the pictures show a leather bound copy with the brass ID badge used on SS1 cars
see also Paul Skilleter Books - PJ Publishing Ltd - Jaguar related books and magazines - PayPal enabled
terry
Attached Thumbnails
Prewar Jaguars in India-img_3425.jpg  

Prewar Jaguars in India-picture5-098.jpg  

Old 21st May 2008, 01:29   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Another MK V from Bahawalpur from pakwheels.com. There is another MK V photo in the same pakwheels thread but its such a family photo I don't think it appropriate to post it here.
Attachment 15664

Just to get these 2 pictures in what seems to be becoming a whole new thread Numbers and details for these 2 Delhi cars are on the way.
Attachment 15665
Attachment 15666
Hi Julien! The Mk V picture with family is actually me and my children. Go ahead and post it. There are two known Mk V's in Pakistan. One is wtill with the Nawab of Bahawalpur family and the other one was my daily transport for years till I sold it a few years ago.
Old 21st May 2008, 05:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohsin View Post
Hi Julien! The Mk V picture with family is actually me and my children. Go ahead and post it. There are two known Mk V's in Pakistan. One is wtill with the Nawab of Bahawalpur family and the other one was my daily transport for years till I sold it a few years ago.
Hi Mohsin,
You are very fortunate in having such cars in your family, a shame you sold the car, perhaps it would be more appropriate if you posted the picture here and or better still in the Nostalgic photos thread, it would be a valuable contribution. Any other photos of your family's motoring exploits I'm sure would be welcome here. Best wishes and happy motoring.
Old 21st May 2008, 09:42   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohsin View Post
Welcome aboard Mohsin! We've heard much about the good work you guys do in Pakistan. You probably wouldnt remember, but we met for a couple of minutes at the 2006 event in Bombay.

Firstly do take out a few minutes to go through the posting rules on the forum, they are fairly straightforward and simple. Post an introduction here as well for the benefit of others.

Introduce yourself - Team-BHP

Cheers
Karl
Old 21st May 2008, 21:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here are a few Mk Vs
Film maker Muzzafar Ali and his silver Mark V
Attachment 15710
This is the same car which I mentioned in an earlier post about the Kotwara Isotta Fraschini under Miscellaneous Vintage cars in India "....The Kotwara family also had a pale blue grey Mk.V Jaguar till the 1960s." Only, it was not painted in the concours style paintwork favoured nowadays. There was another Mk.V Jaguar in Lucknow but I don't have a clear recollection. A third was parked on one of the radial roads of Connaught Place in the early 1970s. Probably in regular use like the Kotwara Jaguar in the 1960s.
It's not clear why the MkV Jaguars are listed under pre-war Jaguars. Perhaps my knowledge is incomplete.
Old 22nd May 2008, 04:36   #28
BHPian

MK V's in this thread

Probably good that they are left here they still have prewar motors ie OHV not the twin cam.
Additionally my book the "Forerunners of Jaguar" includes the MKIV and MKV drop head coupes
see Paul Skilleter Books - PJ Publishing Ltd - Jaguar related books and magazines - PayPal enabled
Old 22nd May 2008, 20:14   #29
BHPian

Jaguars Racing in India 5 f

whilst there is indian involvment in motor sport now there appeared to be little activity of motor racing in India in the 1950's?.
We did come across 2 events in which SS jaguars competed
Calcutta Airport Sprints dec 1954 ER Isaac 1939 SS100
Calcutta Airport Sprints 2/1/1955 ER Isaac 1939 SS100
although these events may turn out to be one and the same event!
Does anyone know of these Calcutta Airport Sprint meetings did they get reported on in local press? and does anyone have any info on Isaac
regards terry
Old 24th May 2008, 00:25   #30
BHPian

pre war SS's in India

another person to buy an SS11 in july 1934 was Raj Bahadua Buta Singh
can anyomne shed ay light on who they are or where they were located in India
regards

Most Viewed