Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 01:52   #46

Hi Julian, Terry

Thanks for the welcome and the information.

The second line in my original post was supposed to read "There is at least one other pre-war Jaguar in Sri Lanka - An SS100 -...."

I've seen this car (the SS100) at close quarters several times and its in absolutely immaculate condition (sounds pretty good too!!!!) but I know very little about its provenance apart from the fact it was in terrible condition when first discovered.

There are two MK V in Sri Lanka that I know of - a DHC and a saloon. My MK I is a 2.4 litre and has been here since new.

With regard to the R-R 20hp Chassis 40 G9 from 1923(?), I believe it was offloaded in Ceylon - either on its way to, or from, Australia in 1924 - for demonstration purposes and was taken away soon afterwards. There are no records of the car being registered in Ceylon contrary to what's stated in some publications.

Julian, given your obvious interest in all things Rolls-Royce , it may interest you to know that I know of at least six pre-war cars still extant in Sri Lanka - to say nothing of the post war cars.

A question of my own now, did you ever come across any low chassis Invicta's in India? I know of one car that survived there until the late sixties. Curious to know if its still around (and safe).

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Prewar Jaguars in India-ss100.jpg  

Prewar Jaguars in India-jagmkv.jpg  

Prewar Jaguars in India-jag-mk1.jpg  

Old 25th June 2008, 05:34   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceylon View Post
it may interest you to know that I know of at least six pre-war cars still extant in Sri Lanka - to say nothing of the post war cars.

A question of my own now, did you ever come across any low chassis Invicta's in India? I know of one car that survived there until the late sixties. Curious to know if its still around (and safe).

Regards
If I remember there is an Invicta low chassis in Pranlal Bhogilal's extensive collection?? There might be a photo of it somewhere on the forum but it is rather difficult to track down previous posts,,,,,
Regarding the Rolls-Royces in Sri lanka, any photos/chassis numbers (from the ID plates on the engine side of the firewall) or means of requesting the owners to provide any numbers/details/history would be greatly appreciated by those attempting to update the records/history of Rolls-Royces that came to South Asia.
I presume that is your MK I in your last post, looks good.. how does she run?
I do hope the other Jaguar enthusiasts here are also appreciating your valuable contributions...............
Old 25th June 2008, 09:17   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regards
Lovely pics there. Keep them coming!

Bhogilal does have an Invicta S type, plus there is an ultra rare lovely Black Prince in Bombay as well, one of a handfull surviving.
Old 25th June 2008, 13:16   #49
BANNED

Hey nice to see all these jaguars.

One of my friend here at Bengaluru owns this below piece, 6 cyl inline 4.7 ltr
Attached Thumbnails
Prewar Jaguars in India-dsc03632.jpg  

Old 25th June 2008, 14:09   #50
BHPian

Lovely pictures of the Leaping Cats, especially the Sri Lankan cars, and the SS Airline in particular. But aren't we digressing from the purpose of the thread with some of the posts of late - questions and pix? Another one could always be started for all classic Jags, and yet another one for high-brow exotics in general (until they start getting their own dedicated ones as well), no?
Old 25th June 2008, 17:16   #51

Julian, Karlos,

Many thanks for the information. An invicta black prince in Bombay Wow!!

Regards
Old 25th June 2008, 19:49   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Julian, Karlos,

Many thanks for the information. An invicta black prince in Bombay Wow!!

Regards
You bet. Its a 47 model, in the family's ownership since 1960. I think under 12 cars were originally sold, with Meadows engines and a woefully under tested hydro kinetic (?) gearbox. These failed when new itself, so most were fitted with Jaguar running gear back then. I think 3-4 cars survive, and the Bombay car (a DHC) is the only one still surviving with original engine (though with a Borg and Warner box retrofitted). I remember seeing the car being restored in 2000, and it has since been featured in Classic and Sports Car and locally in BSM.
Old 10th July 2008, 12:39   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

I had earlier mentioned of a (possibly) prewar Jaguar that had come to Pune from Calcutta I think. Here she is at the April '01 rally in Pune. Im not sure on current whereabouts.
Attached Thumbnails
Prewar Jaguars in India-scan0001.jpg  

Old 15th July 2008, 16:55   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Harit tells us of another exciting cabrio.

Quote:
Attached are pics of BMX 6775. This was a regular participant in rallies in Mumbai in the 1970's. The owners were in Australia. The car was housed at the WIAA garages in Sasoon Dock. A Capt. Trivedi used to bring her out. Later the car was shifted to Juhu near Lido cinema and then exported to Australia. This was a piece of Mumbai history. Who the owner was and whether it is still with them I do not know.
Perhaps John, Terry and the others can throw more light on it?
Attached Thumbnails
Prewar Jaguars in India-1a.jpg  

Prewar Jaguars in India-2a.jpg  

Old 17th July 2008, 21:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

Mr Bhogilal has a Mark 10, Mark 5, ss100 and a few others i dont remember now. will go through the albums. Karl dont kill me for it.
Old 8th August 2008, 22:20   #56

Here is a picture of a SUPERB jag i took last year. I dont know exactly what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Prewar Jaguars in India-100_0596.jpg  

Old 9th August 2008, 11:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I had earlier mentioned of a (possibly) prewar Jaguar that had come to Pune from Calcutta I think. Here she is at the April '01 rally in Pune. Im not sure on current whereabouts.
if my memory serves right this was in zaheer vakils collection and is in bombay juhu area now. it had come to the workshop and i think it was the same car.

there is a similar one at my worshop right now. it is in bad shape and has to be restored. the fenders are damaged due to it being lifted by a crane to be loaded onto a truck by the owner.
Old 9th August 2008, 11:32   #58
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Here is a picture of a SUPERB jag i took last year. I dont know exactly what it is.
Is that a 1.5 litre four cylinder?
Old 24th August 2008, 18:18   #59
Senior - BHPian

the Jaguar SS100 in Bombay.
Attached Thumbnails
Prewar Jaguars in India-scan0010.jpg  

Old 25th August 2008, 13:52   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
the Jaguar SS100 in Bombay.
It appears to be a Delhi regn right? According to Harit this is the same Jackie Shroff car, which used to belong to the MD of Castrol earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Prewar Jaguars in India-ss01.jpg  

Prewar Jaguars in India-ss02.jpg  

Prewar Jaguars in India-ss03.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks