Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 19:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Whats up with the find of the year.

Any updates / pics ???
Well here is an update, but not the kind expected.
While I was away, a friend forwarded to me a scanned copy of an article published in a newspaper in south India. It is attached for reference, I hope that it can be enlarged and read. If not, then here are selected excerpts for your enjoyment. This is what they said about the Stutz:

1) " Vintage car collector Diljeet Titus purchsed the race car of 1929 make......"

2) " The four-passenger speedster, a Senior Stutz belonging to the M Series is essentially a racecar prototype adapted for daily use."

3) "......it was one of the early automobiles characterised by advanced engineering, low center of weight and an Excelsior racing engine, similar to that used by Duesenberg car, another racing automobile. The 115 hp Stutz can rev upto 145 km per hour."

4) ".........the first car that the company built in 1911 as a pilot model was placed 11th in the 500-mile Indianapolis car race. Since then, the car came to be known as a racing car."

For fear of being called arrogant, I refrain comments. But the noble Indian Stutz car is being linked to racing and Duesenberg. Ingenious indeed!

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-dc-stutz-2.jpg  

Old 10th June 2009, 20:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Hilarious. They also mentioned that the car is right hand drive when in the picture it is clear for anyone to see the steering is on the left.

Also "cigarette yellow" never saw a yellow cigarette in my life now brown yes black yes offwhite yes but yellow ciggies to tell more on these.

Who was the collector refered to who's family is said to have sold it on to the present owner.

Regarding the Duesenberg connection well Fred D did design the DV 32 for Stutz and both companies had a very similar types of plaques "Stutz 8" and "Duesenberg 8 "
Old 10th June 2009, 23:55   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hilarious. They also mentioned that the car is right hand drive when in the picture it is clear for anyone to see the steering is on the left.

Also "cigarette yellow" never saw a yellow cigarette in my life now brown yes black yes offwhite yes but yellow ciggies to tell more on these.

Who was the collector refered to who's family is said to have sold it on to the present owner.

Regarding the Duesenberg connection well Fred D did design the DV 32 for Stutz and both companies had a very similar types of plaques "Stutz 8" and "Duesenberg 8 "
I believe the newspaper got the picture reversed. The pictures posted by S.B.Jatti (Post # 9 in this thread) do show the car is RHD.

Last edited by travancore : 10th June 2009 at 23:56.
Old 11th June 2009, 11:50   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Agreed, there might be some glaring errors, but I must say I very glad to see an article of this sort appearing in the papers. We enthusiasts crave for such stories, especially when it is for such a rare car.
Old 11th June 2009, 14:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Agreed, there might be some glaring errors, but I must say I very glad to see an article of this sort appearing in the papers. We enthusiasts crave for such stories, especially when it is for such a rare car.
I dare say that the choice of words is slightly inappropriate. Just check the words above in bold. Glaring errors can be corrected, stories-tales will remain tales. So perhaps you did like the story about the exotic car in the jungle recovered by elephants?
But true stories, that is another matter.

Cheers harit
Old 11th June 2009, 14:25   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Well here is an update, but not the kind expected.
While I was away, a friend forwarded to me a scanned copy of an article published in a newspaper in south India. Cheers harit
I wonder what the motivation is behind such articles. If the owner is seeking publicity, I think I can safely say he is knowledgable enough to supply correct details.

Perhaps this can be put down to shoddy research & and no knowledge about the subject.

Aditya

Last edited by TractionAvant : 11th June 2009 at 14:32.
Old 12th June 2009, 15:02   #52

In an earlier post, someone mentioned the prospect of this car being at Pebble Beach. I have been to Pebble Beach on more than one occasion and feel compelled to respectfully suggest that this is quite THE LAST destination for this vehicle. The combination of a paucity of understanding and an excess of money has lead to the most ghastly and wholly inappropriate over-restorations often to be seen there.

The forward windscreen on this Stutz appears incorrect and, if so, should be dealt with. In other respects the vehicle appears in remarkably sound and original condition. Clean it up and leave it that way. To perform one of the vaunted "ground up" restorations would be be to reduce it to a replica and profoundly compromise its intrinsic value.

I hope its owners will appreciate the car for what it is and not be tempted to turn it into something that never was. Pebble Beach already has plenty of those.

Wumpletoad.
Old 12th June 2009, 15:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumpletoad View Post
I hope its owners will appreciate the car for what it is and not be tempted to turn it into something that never was. Pebble Beach already has plenty of those.

Wumpletoad.
I agree, I wish there is minimum intervention in this case. Preservation & not restoration is what comes to mind.

Quote:
The forward windscreen on this Stutz appears incorrect and, if so, should be dealt with.
Wumpletoad.
It does look a little out of place but when you compare it with pictures of other similar cars in posts no.6 & 15 the overall shape appears correct.

Aditya

Last edited by TractionAvant : 12th June 2009 at 15:47.
Old 12th June 2009, 20:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clean it up and leave it that way. To perform one of the vaunted "ground up" restorations would be be to reduce it to a replica and profoundly compromise its intrinsic value.

Wumpletoad.
Hello Wumps.

My thoughts exactly as mentioned by me in one of the posts in this thread. Unfortunately I was one of the minority who advocated this approach and scoffed at.

The patina on this car is something no amount of money will ever be able to buy.

Also like you mentioned the front screen is not original and would do with a proper replacment. Apart from this the dash and the instruments are not correct. It has been changed at some point with the addition of the present gauges in place of the beautiifull originals, wonder what caused this change.

Then we would need to get the missing parts for the rear windscreen / cowl and then as they say in your nick of the woods "Bob's your uncle " we are done.

Wasif
Old 13th June 2009, 02:55   #55

Quote:
Hello Wumps.

Also like you mentioned the front screen is not original and would do with a proper replacment. Apart from this the dash and the instruments are not correct. It has been changed at some point with the addition of the present gauges in place of the beautiifull originals, wonder what caused this change.

Then we would need to get the missing parts for the rear windscreen / cowl and then as they say in your nick of the woods "Bob's your uncle " we are done.

Wasif
Hi, Wasif,

I hadn't noticed the instrumentation - obviously quite wrong and very much out of character. I should pay more attention!

I think I might give some attention to the brakes as well. Early hydraulics can be a can of worms.

And Le Baron was a respected coachbuilder on most of the expensive American chassis during the 'twenties. The Depression didn't help them (nor Stutz!) and they were acquired in the 'thirties by Chrysler in much the same way as Hooper and Barker were acquired by Daimler (BSA) and Rolls Royce swallowed up Park Ward and Freestone and Webb.

Le Baron became responsible for the "Imperial" limousines but after the War and the introduction of unitary construction, there was not a lot for them to do and the name (together with the reputation of the marque itself), degenerated into a marketing device. As far as I recall, it was last applied to a very mediocre convertible which, at the time (1990's), was the cheapest model in the Chrysler range! Thus do all things pass.

To complete the Bob's your uncle maxim; ". . . . and Fanny's your aunt". I could tell you about a funny experience had in America with this strange expression but I might get into trouble, being a Newbie. However, I'm amused that it should still be known in India. We Brits have a lot to answer for!

Wumps.
Old 16th November 2009, 20:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
The latest aquisition of Mr.Diljeet Titus a 1929 - Stutz Lebaron -Speedster, dual cowl, dual windshield, with a vertical 8 engine, probably will find its way in the most desirable cars. Understand only 92 cars are surviving world over. I shall try and post some photographs shortly.
It appears this car may not be a 1929 but a 1930 Stutz Model M LeBaron 4-Passenger Tonneau Cowl Speedster

This is the correct name for this style of body.

This info has been provided by members of the AACA forum.
Old 24th November 2009, 00:16   #57
BHPian

Stutz

The information on the AACA forum is incorrect.

The correct information as confirmed by research from documents from The Stutz Club Inc. is as follows:

“Stutz, Series M-26, 4 Passenger Speedster with tonneau cowl and windshield”. This is the exact description used by the Stutz Motor Co. Of course the car is a 1930. This has been confirmed by the Engine Serial Number being amongst the last of the Series M produced by Stutz before this series was discontinued in mid 1930.

As you will note, the correct description uses “Series” instead of “Model” and the name of the coachbuilder Lebaron is nowhere used in the description of the car by Stutz Motor Co.

Kindly correct the post on the AACA forum!

Quote:
It appears this car may not be a 1929 but a 1930 Stutz Model M LeBaron 4-Passenger Tonneau Cowl Speedster

Old 24th November 2009, 00:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please post the link of the particular thread so that we can also see it.Thankx

Whats The status on the restoration?Any pictures?
Old 24th November 2009, 10:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
The information on the AACA forum is incorrect.

The correct information as confirmed by research from documents from The Stutz Club Inc. is as follows:

“Stutz, Series M-26, 4 Passenger Speedster with tonneau cowl and windshield”. This is the exact description used by the Stutz Motor Co. Of course the car is a 1930. This has been confirmed by the Engine Serial Number being amongst the last of the Series M produced by Stutz before this series was discontinued in mid 1930.

As you will note, the correct description uses “Series” instead of “Model” and the name of the coachbuilder Lebaron is nowhere used in the description of the car by Stutz Motor Co.

Kindly correct the post on the AACA forum!
Jatti Sir.

Could you please post soem coroboration on this info you say is correct.

I can't correct anything on the AACA forum without any coroboration.

Where did you get to see documents from the Stutz Club / Motor Company.
Old 24th November 2009, 16:17   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Jatti Sir.

Could you please post soem coroboration on this info you say is correct.

I can't correct anything on the AACA forum without any coroboration.

Where did you get to see documents from the Stutz Club / Motor Company.
Here is some of the research to be found in "The Splendid Stutz" a Stutz Club Publication. I have seen the original Sales Brochures on the Series M with the same information.

I am uploading a page from the "Information Book" on the Stutz.
Attached Files
File Type: doc STUTZ.doc (578.5 KB, 505 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks