Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2017, 18:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

So I asked some friends who know the Harley circuit in these parts and I believe this is somewhat one sided - the Pune mirror Harley story.

First of all, I would be surprised if on a ride like this the rider wasn't wearing a helmet. Sometimes pictures are without helmet just for posing purpose. So let's not assume he was an unsafe rider or didn't wear proper gear.

Secondly I believe that few riders stayed with the family till the end at the hospital. Some even came back from goa by cab to help. They only left family once all the formalities were over and body was handed back to wife and family. It wasn't like she was left alone to fend.

Now here's the final thing. In my personal view, if a fellow rider had passed away while we were going for a trip like this and if he was a friend or part of same group, I don't think I'd have a desire to continue at the event. I'd simply want to go back home and grieve. I suppose it appears from these stories that all the riders even from his group simply completed the event at goa.

So basically more to it than the somewhat one sided mirror report.
Axe77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 23:22   #17
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

While I would also refrain from getting carried away by what a tabloid has reported, it is time that the inherent risks of riding a high powered motorcycle is recognized with riders taking individual responsibility for possible untoward events, even fatal ones and not buy into fables of B* like brotherhood and what not and expect these motley groups to come to their rescue. Human beings are human beings, and just because a machine becomes a unifying theme for a group of people to come together does not mean that they have to subscribe to some higher calling. I ride motorcycles myself and have done cross country trips. I was in a potentially life threatening situation not too long in the past and absolute strangers came to my aid with tenuous links to bikes. Did that make any difference to the need of the hour? Absolutely not! Did the fact that they did not don the colors of a particular group with a motorcycling theme, commercial or otherwise, make a difference? Well, perhaps it did not do anything to enhance this legend of 'biking brotherhood', but at least, I am alive to write this post, and that is all that matters.

Bottomline, I am certain that a group of human beings could not have been so callous so as to leave a fellow rider lie in a pool of blood while they zoomed on to Goa. If they stayed on until the unfortunate victim was hospitalized and ensured the victim's family could take charge of the situation, they did what could be expected of them. After the fact, if there were individuals who had it in them to ride on despite the ghastly incident, they were perhaps not close enough to the victim to take time off to grieve and felt that they had done their bit to have at least ensured the victim was taken to the hospital. Lets give these guys a break, wearing a leather patch of a particular colour and straddling expensive machines does not make them any more or any less human than any of us.
hothatchaway is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 10:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
These are clips from today's newspaper. Online versions should also be available.

Please note, the other side of the incident (other riders side) is unknown at present.

I was driving to Goa in my V-cross on Thursday with friends. I could see a lot of Harleys throughout my drive to Goa and there were easily 500 odd Harleys on this route alone. We even caught up with a few of them and had a chat. The event was an all India event for Harley Owners Group (HOG) and such events usually have an Ambulance from what I could understand by chatting with a few of them. We did cross a Harley maintenance and road assistance van which was traveling with the group.

There were banners all along the Mumbai - Goa route welcoming the HOG's and their lunch gathering was before the start of Amboli Ghat descend.

I did not witness the accident but I passed it few minutes after it happened. There was a lot of commotion and lot of bikers had parked at the narrow section. We saw a Harley by the side of the road and red sand poured on the road (the kind used to cover oil spill). We thought that it must have been an oil spill from the bike. We could not spot the biker so stopped for a minute and asked if any assistance was required. The other bikers asked us to keep moving and not hold the traffic.

Also what I could see and notice is all of them were wearing helmets (even pillions). I did not spot a single biker without Helmet. Also most of them were riding fast and I was being passed easily when I was cruising at 100 kmph.

We got to know that the Biker passed away on Thursday night itself through other bikers. RIP! and may God give strength to his family.

I will wait for the complete details before I comment over this incident.
tazmaan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 11:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Superbike crashes in India

Link to original article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quote from Update
A day after the story was published, some of the members of the Harley- Davidson Facebook group claimed that the riders had stayed back with Saroj. One of them even posted a message saying almost 40 bikers were there when the accident took place and they all waited in the hospital with the family till the body was handed over.

However, some bikers from the same group claimed that the team was present there with the family when Pawar was taken to hospital, but left the hospital around 7 pm on the same day and headed to Goa to attend the event.
Link to Update

Sad to hear about what happened, honestly don't know what to believe. Also, another friend on Street Triple who was a very cautious rider crashed when a bike cut off in front of him from behind bushes.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2017 at 16:59. Reason: Merged some posts about the accident into this thread, so removing the duplicate newspaper cutting.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 13:32   #20
BHPian

RIP the departed.

Just one single point I'd like to highlight on the point being repeated in the article. The ride that the HOG member make to the meeting point is not part of the organizers purview since people come all over the country. It's logistically IMPOSSIBLE to plan for safety equipment for all of them.

I know the people that organize the India Bike Week, & they have all the necessary equipment with them, but only from the starting point onwards. The liability of reaching the venue is entirely that of the rider.

I can understand the emotional state the wife must be in, however there's no point in passing blame onto others.
rohansachar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 14:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Now here's the final thing. In my personal view, if a fellow rider had passed away while we were going for a trip like this and if he was a friend or part of same group, I don't think I'd have a desire to continue at the event. I'd simply want to go back home and grieve. I suppose it appears from these stories that all the riders even from his group simply completed the event at goa.

So basically more to it than the somewhat one sided mirror report.
That depends on the individual equation boss, and the individual person. Let's not refrain from projecting our values/judgments.

If you see where Savantwadi is - what would someone do? Ride back to Pune, tailing an ambulance at 130 am? (not a safe idea) Or at that late hour, simply ride the 60 km to Goa (per google) where good accommodation (and possibly supportive buddies) is already there, or just find some crummy hotel in Savantwadi at that hour,only to sit and grieve there alone?

PS: A relative is a top doctor. He selflessly takes out time even late at night to go meet sick 2nd/3rd order relatives / acquaintances who he barely knows. But when the person dies, he doesn't even go to the cremation, much less any mourning ceremonies. He says, "my dharma is to serve the sick, not grieve over those I can no longer help. I'd rather see another patient". Is that bad? hell no.
Drawing value judgments thus with limited context, over the internet in such situations isn't a good idea. Let's assume people are good unless we know otherwise, first hand?!

Last edited by phamilyman : 20th February 2017 at 14:31.
phamilyman is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 17:45   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That depends on the individual equation boss, and the individual person. Let's not refrain from projecting our values/judgments.

Drawing value judgments thus with limited context, over the internet in such situations isn't a good idea. Let's assume people are good unless we know otherwise, first hand?!
Actually the intent of my post was not to project or judge.

I'm only saying how I would have felt in similar circumstances on one very specific aspect. I am not saying whether its right or wrong or judging the others. To each his own and in any event they've provided all practical support they could have till the body was handed over.

I also meant that in the context assuming it was a group of riders from a common group riding from one city (I could be wrong on this of course). But I hear you - to each his own and depends on how well they know each other.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2017 at 18:10. Reason: As requested :)
Old 28th February 2017, 14:12   #23
BHPian

No matter how skilled a rider is and how much safety electronics his/her motorcycle has, road conditions have to be respected. With Indian roads being highly unpredictable, defensive riding is the ONLY way to go.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 10:06   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Let's say a small prayer for Reza's recovery (I believe he was a superbike owner). Most car enthusiasts from Mumbai would have met him someplace or another.

Quote:
On November 14, Reza Abid, an executive at Four Seasons Automobile, Mahalaxmi, was headed home on his bike when an Uber cab knocked him down in Bandra. The cab driver, who tried to flee but was caught by traffic constable Dadami Kadam posted at a traffic light nearby, had tried to enter a one-way lane from the wrong end when the accident happened. The impact of the collision was so intense that Reza Abid was tossed in the air and landed on his head.

Nahid, who was expecting Reza to be home by 8:30 pm, received a call instead informing her about the accident. “Merely 45 minutes before the call, I had spoken to Reza asking him what would he like to have for dinner. When I reached Bhabha, doctors told me that there was no hope of his survival.”
Source & Full Article
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 16:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

Let's say a small prayer for Reza's recovery (I believe he was a superbike owner). Most car enthusiasts from Mumbai would have met him someplace or another.

Source & Full Article
Woah, this is so sad to hear, knowing him I am quite sure it was not his fault. But the report doesn't mention anything about him wearing a helmet? I'm sure someone here can shed light on that?

Here is a video of me interviewing him when the Urban Discoveries campaign was going on. Such an amazing guy, will keep his family in our thoughts and pray that Reza makes a miraculous recovery soon!

quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 15:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, this is just some of what I've heard recently.

Got this on whatsapp, heard it happened at Charoti. Rider didn't survive.
Superbike crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20170403-3.03.23-pm.jpeg

This head-on collision between a Hyosung and Dominar (link)

Superbike crashes in India-hyosung_1.jpg
Superbike crashes in India-hyosung_2.jpg
Superbike crashes in India-dominar_1.jpg
quickdraw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 18:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post

[center]Got this on whatsapp, heard it happened at Charoti. Rider didn't survive.
This was a very unfortunate accident. Some guys were partying at Madh island till 5 AM. They went out for a ride after the party. Sleep deprivation and possibly riding under influence contributed to this.

The gear situation can be seen here -

Superbike crashes in India-4e72588707954214b0400fcaa8a70f47.jpg
Superbike crashes in India-7f352ab7d7634bce9b63943bedb9086d.jpg

The guy was from Mulund area. It is unclear how many were there in that group and what exactly happened. As per unconfirmed reports, it happened near a particularly tricky turn which comes bang after a hill which takes riders by surprise.

PS - Details as received from Whatsapp groups. Cannot confirm all particulars.

Last edited by sen2009 : 3rd April 2017 at 18:13.
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 18:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post

The gear situation can be seen here -

Attachment 1625938
Sen,
The pic you posted is of a Honda CBR600RR while Quickdraw posted about a fatal accident between Hyosung GT650R and Bajaj Domiar.
Unless, it was the same guy seen in your photograph riding the GT650R I am not sure these are linked.

Regards
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 18:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Sen,
The pic you posted is of a Honda CBR600RR while Quickdraw posted about a fatal accident between Hyosung GT650R and Bajaj Domiar.
Unless, it was the same guy seen in your photograph riding the GT650R I am not sure these are linked.

Regards
Hi Hiren, in that post quickdraw has posted about two accidents back to back. The first one was about a CBR which lost control on a particularly tricky corner on NH8 near Charoti, ~100 KM from Mumbai. My post was about that.

The second one he has posted about is a collision between Hyosung and Dominar. This I think happened within Delhi city, not totally sure. (Quickdraw has provided a news website link, however some people on whatsapp have different opinions of the incident. Once I gather something substantial, I will post).

As far as I know, the dominar was a new bike being ridden sedately at 40. The Hyosung guy did what superbikers do. He was riding at 100+ and rammed into the Dominar. Guess who died? The innocent guy.

PS - All my info are sourced from unreliable sources. I can be somewhat or dead wrong at times. As and when I stumble upon a different report (correct or otherwise), I will post them here.

@Mods, please advise if such information can be shared here as the factual basis cannot be immediately verified in most cases.

Last edited by sen2009 : 4th April 2017 at 18:46.
sen2009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 18:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post

PS - All my info are sourced from unreliable sources. I can be somewhat or dead wrong at times. As and when I stumble upon a different report (correct or otherwise), I will post them here.

@Mods, please advise if such information can be shared here as the factual basis cannot be immediately verified in most cases.
It's such a travesty that the Dominar rider had to pay such a heavy price. RIP. Thanks for clearing it up!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks