Team-BHP - The Riding Gear thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Ride Safe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/)
-   -   The Riding Gear thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/42000-riding-gear-thread-8.html)

I have purchased a Daijya helmet. I am aware of the controversy surrounding it and tried to get as much information as possible. Following are two contradictory mails that I have been able to dig up. I made my decision of purchasing Daijya for 3 reasons.
1. Within my budget
2. The mails
3. Checking them out physycally and found them to be excellent product.

I have reproduced the mails below. Note, first mail says "from: <---@jfmotorsport.de>". The second says "From: marushin-helmets.jp <info@marushin-helmets.jp>". I find the second more credible based on the email address and the language of the mail. The first one even has grammatical error. At the same time, I do not rule out I could be wrong.

Link to this mail
Quote:

to Sankar<---@gmail.com>
date24 September 2008 21:02
subjectAW: Are Marushin Helmets available India as Daijya Helmets?
mailed-byjfmotorsport.de

Hi Sankar,

this helmets is a illegal copy and a very cheap fake and has nothing to do with the original Marushin-Helmets. Not in safety and not in quality.

Sorry to tell you this.

Best regards
JF MotorSport GmbH
Ullrich Holzhausen
Link to this mail
Quote:

Date: Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:49 PM
Subject: Re: contact-form
To: Chetan Badami <chetanbadami@gmail.com>

Hi Chetan

Marushin helmets are sold in India as "Daijya" by our closed sales dealer name, Dream Bikes in western city of India by the name Pune.Protection is ECE 22.05 by European Standards. Dream Bikes should have the safety certificate.These helmets are made in Europe not in Japan. Trust this clarifies.

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Chetan Badami <chetanbadami@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Sir,

I am from India.... and want to buy a good helmet..... and I see Daijya as a brand of good repute here. I have heard that its a subsidiary ofMarushin Helmets, Japan.

Please let me know if the helmets are made in Japan and what are the safety levels that they match up to.

--
Regards,

Chetan Badami
+919820848886

Best regards
Hans Grubber
Dieselstr. 10
61239 Ober-Moerlen
Germany

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaynmantis (Post 1278557)
I have reproduced the mails below. Note, first mail says "from: <---@jfmotorsport.de>". The second says "From: marushin-helmets.jp <info@marushin-helmets.jp>". I find the second more credible based on the email address and the language of the mail. The first one even has grammatical error. At the same time, I do not rule out I could be wrong.

I mailed my query to marushin-helmets.jp and it was replied from JFmotorpsort.de. JFmotorposrt.de is the owner of Marushin brand. I acknowledge the grammatical error and the informal language but i don't believe the mail to be fake. All Germans are not known to speak good English. The person who signed the mail sent to me is the managing director of the company and sent from his personal email id, which i have removed including mine, when i posted it here.

Who signed the reply you got from marushin-helmet.jp ?

Btw why is planetDSG not selling (atleast not advertising Daijya helmets) on their website?? Why did they remove the complete range of Daijya helmets from their website? Something fishy? I don't think it took long for JFmotorsport to find out who was selling Daijya helemts here and speak to them...

Why can't i find information about Daijya helmets anywhere on the Internet. Only links that speak of Daijya helmets are links with Indian connection.

Which helmet to buy for Rs.1500 budget ?

You will get full face MPA helmets if you're willing to add couple of hundreds to your budget. Or else you can buy Studds or MPA motocross type helmets for under 1500.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithun (Post 1278883)
Which helmet to buy for Rs.1500 budget ?

See if you can find anything from the AGV-MPA range within your budget, or lookout for the Studds range. Considering you will be buying an Indian make, please buy one with an ISI marking only.

manson.

Quote:

Checking them out physycally and found them to be excellent product.

Even the cheap Chinese helmets look excellent on visual inspection. And we don't have the mechanism ourselves to test their quality other than placing our trust on known brands.

Quote:

Marushin helmets are sold in India as "Daijya" by our closed sales dealer name, Dream Bikes in western city of India by the name Pune.Protection is ECE 22.05 by European Standards. Dream Bikes should have the safety certificate.These helmets are made in Europe not in Japan. Trust this clarifies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 1278701)
Btw why is planetDSG not selling (atleast not advertising Daijya helmets) on their website?? Why did they remove the complete range of Daijya helmets from their website? Something fishy? I don't think it took long for JFmotorsport to find out who was selling Daijya helemts here and speak to them...

Why can't i find information about Daijya helmets anywhere on the Internet. Only links that speak of Daijya helmets are links with Indian connection.

Adding to this, I checked with the Planet DSG shop here in Bangalore and they don't give any sort of warranty for these helmets. Another reason for suspicion I would say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 1278701)

They do have Marushin helmets listed on their website.. Marushin

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavy_foot (Post 1279322)

Oh, so now they changed it to Marushin here as well huh? I wonder what took them so long :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavy_foot (Post 1279322)

Yes they do have. But Daijya lot disappeared.

I use a SHOEI RF1000 helmet branded Suzuki GSXR, alpinestars gloves, Joe Rocket jacket with pads and boots....dont even sit on a standing bike without a helemt...lol....seen too much of trauma, cracked skulls and broken bones in the Emergency as a surgeon....RIDE SAFE guys...we spend loads on the bike and minimal on safety kit which will eventually save us...cheers

It is not uncommon practice for companies to sell products under different brands like Acura-Honda, Mercedes-Maybach etc. etc. So I don't see it as strange when Marushin brands their product as Daijya. Considering Marushin are 3 to 5 times the price of Daijya and India being a huge market for 2 wheelers. It will seem to make marketing sense to launch a lower-end product that is more affordable. Why they stopped, I have no idea. Maybe it wasn't profitable considering a large percentage still buys helmets somewhere around Rs. 300-1000.

I accept that visual inspection is no proof for genuine quality. Its the only thing I can do. Say, Imported AGV or local AGV? I have to actual means to verify its claim except to trust the dealer and inspect them myself. I compared Daijya with other brands that are comparable in price and even with more expensive ones, and I'd say I'm pretty impressive with it. BTW I also bought an INDEX for 2500 for my wife. The index does not SEEM as good as Daijya. Not getting cheap on wife :). Its difficult to get her size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaynmantis (Post 1279646)
It is not uncommon practice for companies to sell products under different brands like Acura-Honda, Mercedes-Maybach etc. etc. So I don't see it as strange when Marushin brands their product as Daijya. Considering Marushin are 3 to 5 times the price of Daijya and India being a huge market for 2 wheelers. It will seem to make marketing sense to launch a lower-end product that is more affordable. Why they stopped, I have no idea. Maybe it wasn't profitable considering a large percentage still buys helmets somewhere around Rs. 300-1000.

Planet DSG eliminated Daijya from their product catalogue within a couple of days from when I quoted Sankar's email saga with Marushin on Castrol Power Passion Hunt: xBhp Hunts for the Most Passionate Biker in India!, an Indian motorcycle forum of which Planet DSG happens to be a co-sponsor.

Through the grapevine I had later gathered that DSG was trying to offload their entire Daijya inventory at really cheap pricing.

Do you yet think DSG suddenly realised that Daijya was a low volume and non profitable range? Or did they just gather that they could be in some serious trouble if anyone did take appropriate action against them.
Infact Daijya was one of the better selling premium (pricing parameter) helmets in India for those one or two years, so there is a slim chance that DSG stopped marketing Daijya due to low deman or zilch profitability.

manson.

Quote:

Originally Posted by virkdoc (Post 1279479)
I use a SHOEI RF1000 helmet branded Suzuki GSXR, alpinestars gloves, Joe Rocket jacket with pads and boots....

Pictures please!

manson.

Hey manson, thanks for those info. I agree what you say makes good sense.
But like I said, I could be wrong :Frustrati. Anyway I still like it stupid:

Not sure if these have been discussed here before, but the revolutionary new helmets with built in rear-view will be coming out late this summer. I've been writing to them regularly and they've promised to send pricing info as soon as it is launched in the market.

I think its going to make a huge difference to the motorcycling community:

Reevu motorbike helmets. Reevu - the world's first rear view helmet