Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 12:21   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? (Tips on buying a good helmet in post #78)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Yes this is the one! It costs around 5500 bucks. Has really good armor. Comes with Winter/Rain protection liner which is removable. The jacket is pretty heavy and also not too breathable. Even without the liner you will feel cooked when standing at signals, B2B traffic etc with all vents open. But once you start moving it gets better
:( can be a problem in Kerala's summer then. Its a big cold these days which I can adjust but need to get a jacket which will work during Kerala summer.
Old 20th January 2012, 12:52   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
:( can be a problem in Kerala's summer then. Its a big cold these days which I can adjust but need to get a jacket which will work during Kerala summer.
I have the DSG Nero and wear it to college daily which is about 70 km round trip. Yes, you get cooked inside it at signals/traffic jams initially, but after a few weeks/months of using, you don't feel as much sweaty. Also, I don't think Kerala has big traffic jams like we do have on every intersection in Mumbai! Haven't used it in Mumbai summers since I purchased it 3 months ago, so can't comment on that. But you can go for DSG Maze, which is great for summer usage, but then it isn't waterproof.
Old 20th January 2012, 14:41   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Cochin riders I know use Cramsters textile jacket, the Raptor. A textile jacket will make things much easier during the summer and both DSG and Cramster have options. If you dont sweat a lot, I would recommend the mesh jacket Nero though. Theres nothing like checking out first hand the options from both companies. AutoQueen, Cochin stocks both companies.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:54   #814
BANNED

I am picking Alpinestars T-GP Plus Air Jacket, Alpinestars SP-2 Gloves and pair of Alpinestars Fastlane Shoes as many friends told me that Leather ones are not suitable for indian weather and even small scratch leads to tearing the whole leather and need to replace that section which is again costly affair. Again textile ones are 33% cheaper than leather ones.
BTW have half face Vintage NOS Yamaha orange color helmat with bubble visior along with one Blue half face helmat and couple of old helmats which i use to use for other bikes, need input for good full face helmat available locally or dont mind importing one as well.
Old 20th January 2012, 17:47   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
..... many friends told me that Leather ones are not suitable for indian weather and even small scratch leads to tearing the whole leather and need to replace that section which is again costly affair. Again textile ones are 33% cheaper than leather ones.
What you have heard from your friends is wrong Ajay.

Leather is the most durable material in the riding gear business when it comes to longevity and protection to the one wearing it.

One of my good friends had a fall at triple digit speeds and slid on tarmac and gravel but was saved thanks to his two piece dainese leather suit. The suit only had minor scratches. If not for his gear, his injuries could have led to major road rash requiring skin grafts, etc. but in this situation, he was safe, thanks to his leathers.

Only downside is that leather will be hot in our tropical climate but with the option of vented or perforated leather suits it's not all that bad. As long as you are moving, you will have air circulation which will keep you cool. It only gets a tad uncomfortable in slow moving or stop-n-go traffic.

If leather tears very easily then it goes to show that the quality of material is not good or the product was not constructed using genuine leather.

I would suggest you to reconsider in the interest of your own safety and invest in good leather gear such as Joe Rocket, Alpinestars, Dainese, RJays, etc.

Regarding textile gear costing 33% less than leathers, let me say that buying a good set of riding gear is an investment... and most likely it will be a one time investment. And again, its a lot cheaper than a few days spent in the hospital Be safe mate.

Here is something everyone should read.

Last edited by n_aditya : 20th January 2012 at 17:49.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 18:13   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Yes this is the one! It costs around 5500 bucks. Has really good armor. Comes with Winter/Rain protection liner which is removable. The jacket is pretty heavy and also not too breathable. Even without the liner you will feel cooked when standing at signals, B2B traffic etc with all vents open. But once you start moving it gets better
Quote:
+1
I can vouch for this-(using it for 4 years now),its awsome,but its heavy,and in hot weather,it has the capability to roast you.For riding in hot weather,i would recommend cramster breezer series,however i have found cramster's build quality to be a notch below DSG's.
Old 21st January 2012, 05:15   #817
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Mr Blue, here's the map you asked for.
Attached Images

Old 21st January 2012, 11:32   #818
Senior - BHPian

For those of you looking for a really good , high quality, and durable stitching and textile/mesh jacket, with excellent detachable cold/rain protection, and great fit and looks, you should definitely consider the RJays Octane.

RJays Jackets - BIKES I RIDING GEAR I PERFORMANCE ACCESSORIES I SPARES

A riding buddy of mine picked it up from Singapore (long before they started to be available here), has had a few falls in it, and neither has the mesh torn nor has any stitching opened up, and the high quality hard armor (not foam) protected him perfectly from the impact as well without any shift. It is still going strong after almost daily use for 6+ years.

Highly recommended.
Old 21st January 2012, 13:07   #819
Senior - BHPian

My Recent buy, complete riding gear, After watching was discounts for 3 months , so my parents came back from US last week. Real steal was Speed and strength jacket which is priced at $ 300, got it for $ 120 in black out sales. Bought all of these from Amazon

Joe Rocket Goldwing Skyline Sport Mesh/Textile Mens Motorcycle Jacket - $ 50

Speed and Strength Hell 'n Back Jacket - $ 115

Vulcan NF-7008 Mens Armored Waterproof Textile Pants -$ 57

Bobster Cruiser 2 Goggles,Black Frame/3 Lenses (Smoked, Amber and Clear) - $ 20

FOX Youth Titan Race Knee Guard $ 25
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-speedstrength.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-fox_titan.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-googles.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-pant2.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-shift_kicker.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-joe_rocket_skyline_jacket_titanium_black.jpg  

Old 4th February 2012, 20:33   #820
Senior - BHPian

Just ordered these off ebay --> eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

surprisingly 0 shipping charges to Bangalore/India and seller has 100% positive feedback. I will only know when it is delivered.

(prospective KTM owners could consider this)
Old 6th February 2012, 18:31   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
surprisingly 0 shipping charges to Bangalore/India and seller has 100% positive feedback. I will only know when it is delivered.
Wow. Thats a nice deal. No shipping charges.

I can't really say much about the gloves by seeing the pics though. Would love to take a look once you get your hands on them.
Old 6th February 2012, 19:43   #822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Wow. Thats a nice deal. No shipping charges.

I can't really say much about the gloves by seeing the pics though. Would love to take a look once you get your hands on them.
Yes, Even I fell for whats advertised on the site about the materials used on it. The package shown had "KTM Powerparts" on it too + the seller has 100% positive feedback. The item has been shipped from Hongkong through Singpost - now god knows how long that is going to take. The seller did mail me saying it could take up to 15 days because of clearances/customs etc of different countries.
Old 7th February 2012, 10:07   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Even I fell for whats advertised on the site about the materials used on it. The package shown had "KTM Powerparts" on it too + the seller has 100% positive feedback. The item has been shipped from Hongkong through Singpost - now god knows how long that is going to take. The seller did mail me saying it could take up to 15 days because of clearances/customs etc of different countries.
At less than 1500 bucks, its a great deal. Even the local DSG/Cramster/ProBiker gloves are not that cheap. Looks like a great daily wear city glove (just a little "colorful" ).
Old 7th February 2012, 15:12   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho

At less than 1500 bucks, its a great deal. Even the local DSG/Cramster/ProBiker gloves are not that cheap. Looks like a great daily wear city glove (just a little "colorful" ).
As colorful as the Duke got to see its actual quality.
Old 7th February 2012, 16:05   #825
BANNED

Dear Shubz just see the country of this product, there are lots of duplicate items originating from China be careful, even though if they are having 100% ratings, check the same product in other USA sites and then decide, i'll post some reliable stores name who offers discount on geniune products.
Quote:
Just ordered these off ebay --> eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

(prospective KTM owners could consider this)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks