Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 13:30   #781
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Guys,

I have a 25$ amazon gift card. I would like to buy a pair of gloves and found this one
Amazon.com: MOTORCYCLE BIKER GLOVES CARBON KEVLAR LEATHER BLACK: Clothing

What will my duty be, if I buy it from Amazon.

After adding the shipping and tax its coming to 45$.
Less my gift car. Price is 20$.

But would like to know what would be the import duty on this.
Old 20th December 2011, 13:55   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
would like to know what would be the import duty on this.
Hi Imran, custom duties generally are charged at 30% of the invoice or bill value.

That said, it also depends on the mood of the customs officer. A couple of friends of mine imported helmets costing INR 10k (and more) but were charged nothing at customs. And on the other side of the fence, another friend was charged INR 3k for a helmet imported from USA (it cost him 10k for the lid + 3k custom duty).

The duty free limit was 25k earlier but now no such limit exists (as with the example above).

This might be of help to understand what you may end up paying but i'm not sure if it will provide the exact amount.

Last edited by n_aditya : 20th December 2011 at 13:57.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 23:13   #783
BHPian

Im looking for some good gloves for touring withing 2.5k-3k, DSG is out of stock, nothing is available in Chandigarh, i wanted to get DSG primial white color. Any suggestions ? I need the gloves within 3 days.
Old 21st December 2011, 23:16   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
Quick update/review of my gloves.

It's been close to 20 days since I received my gloves from bachoo motors. And just after two long rides, one of 200km and other of 700km, the RJays are coming off its shape.

Rjays gummed labels on the palm area have started to come out. All stitches are well in shape though, so that's a relief. Apart from these quality issues, the gloves are great for short or long rides. They are sold as mesh gloves, but even in the freezing temperature of North India they are good and keep fingers warm all the time. Haven't crash tested them so far, so will stay away from commenting on safety. The knuckles are not CF as on other gloves in the same price range.

Before going for the Rjays, I tried for the more trusted Revive glove from DSG. The glove for S/M size was out of stock. And DSG never replied back to my query! It's been close to 1 month now and they still haven't replied me back on the stock. Wondering if Bachoo motors informed them that I had bought gloves from them?

One more thing, I need to know how to clean/wash/wipe dust off my riding jacket (textile)? I think I read it on Xbhp to simply take the liner and armor off the jacket and put it into the washing machine like normal clothes. Is it the right way?

Last time when I took the elbow and shoulder armor out of the jacket, it took me more than one hour to fix them back in the right place. And I plan not to repeat the same. Is there any touch-n-go sort of method?
I had an RST jacket with inbuilt Armor, i just sent it to the drycleaner like any other Leather. Came back as good as new.
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:33   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aditya, it's a leather glove indeed. I had forgotten to mention this.
Shivank, do you remember the name of the gloves? Is it the Canyon gloves? I'm thinking of buying a pair but hunting for first hand user reviews. Do let me know. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Im looking for some good gloves for touring withing 2.5k-3k, DSG is out of stock, nothing is available in Chandigarh, i wanted to get DSG primial white color. Any suggestions ? I need the gloves within 3 days.
Check this out. I'm referring to the RJays Canyon Glove. Its a vented, short cuff, full leather glove. Its available in full black and black-white combo.

My gloves are due for replacement and i have shortlisted this one in black-white combo. Presently i'm looking around for alternatives before i buy a pair.
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:42   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360

Aditya, which one do you recommend from the ones at the link? Will anyone of these be good with simple trousers, for a ride to work everyday, apart from wearing these over a pair of jeans on the weekends?

The FOX RACING TITAN RACE KNEE GUARD for 3700/- says that it offers zero restrictions - any idea what this means?

Couple of cheaper alternatives here: On The Rocks :: Products - Knee Guards & Protectors

I'm planning on ordering a DSG Nero, apart from the knee guards. Anything better at about 5-6k?
The Nero is the best jacket one can buy under 100 USD. Go for it eyes closed; just ensure its an original
(I have one for the last 18 months and have done about 30k kms of touring in them)

As far as knee guards are concerned, I had recommend riding pants if you are looking at touring. If stunts then an Astar bionic 5500 I guess.
The knee guards become a pain in a while; also the local ones start messing around with your bones and it gets uncomfortable.
nitin.rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:46   #787
BHPian

Quote:
I had an RST jacket with inbuilt Armor, i just sent it to the drycleaner like any other Leather. Came back as good as new.
With the armor, do these dry-cleaners do the job fine??

Anyway, I have now decided to take the troublesome job of taking the armor out. Most probably, the jacket is going into the washing machine...;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Shivank, do you remember the name of the gloves? Is it the Canyon gloves? I'm thinking of buying a pair but hunting for first hand user reviews. Do let me know. Thanks.

Check this out. I'm referring to the RJays Canyon Glove.
Yes, Aditya, I have the very same glove which you have mentioned above, the RJays Canyon.

Apart from the Rjays label on palm area, everything is fine as of now. I hope it continues the same way. As this is my first time with leather gloves, I cannot comment on how they will fare compared to the competition. The gloves have now started to take the shape of my hand and are not uncomfortable anymore. There's a very neutral sort of air-flow actually (keeping both summers and winters in mind).

After riding with them through dense fog and bone-chilling cold for about 1 hour today, at around 3 am, my palms felt normal cold and were not left numb, like what used to be the case with my previous gloves.

One personal advice would be to not to go with the white and black combo. First, they are not at all as shining white as they look on the brochure. Second, it 's only a matter of few rides before they turn complete black, giving you dirty impressions on every ride...

I chose the white-black combo as I got too emotional thinking it would so match the bike and rest of my riding gear...
Shivank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:59   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....the RJays Canyon. Apart from the Rjays label on palm area, everything is fine as of now.
Do you mean that the palm area is intact and just the label stuck on the palm area has peeled off..?? And i guess this is a full leather glove including the palm area right?

EDIT: I can totally relate to the gear matching the bike since I too own a white bike . Thanks for the prior warning!
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:12   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Do you mean that the palm area is intact and just the label stuck on the palm area has peeled off..?? And i guess this is a full leather glove including the palm area right?

EDIT: I can totally relate to the gear matching the bike since I too own a white bike . Thanks for the prior warning!
Yes, everything like what you thought.

I do not have my camera here as of the moment and my cellphone is simply rubbish for the job, otherwise I could have clicked some pics and posted the same.

About matching concepts, keeping the lid aside-thankfully, everything gets dirty after the shortest of the rides possible..:(
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:28   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Aditya, I have the very same glove which you have mentioned above, the RJays Canyon. Apart from the Rjays label on palm area, everything is fine as of now.
That's great to hear. Thanks.

I have one more query though. The knuckle protection is not carbon fiber or Kevlar is it? I spoke to Zulfi today and he mentioned its plastic. I seriously doubt if plastic will provide any major protection against abrasion or impact resistance.

Quote:
The gloves have now started to take the shape of my hand and are not uncomfortable anymore.
Initially i found my pair of gloves to be a bit tight but in a few days they broke in well and fit like second skin.

Leather takes a few days to wear in. Once you get accustomed to leather gloves, you'll never want to wear any textile or mesh gloves.

Try and source a good leather conditioner like the one below. I use Eagle1 and spray some on the gloves and buff it off with a microfiber cloth. Makes them look like new and they feel nice and soft too. Do this at least once every month or so to prevent the leather from cracking.

The Riding Gear thread-111stepleathercleanerconditionereagleone3040616.jpg

Quote:
One personal advice would be to not to go with the white and black combo. First, they are not at all as shining white as they look on the brochure. Second, it 's only a matter of few rides before they turn complete black, giving you dirty impressions on every ride...
Thanks for the tip. I had almost set my heart on this. Will stay with the plain 'ol black one then. Please keep me posted about any other developments on this glove. I will hopefully be placing an order for these next week.

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd December 2011 at 19:29.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 00:07   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Check this out. I'm referring to the RJays Canyon Glove. Its a vented, short cuff, full leather glove. Its available in full black and black-white combo.

My gloves are due for replacement and i have shortlisted this one in black-white combo. Presently i'm looking around for alternatives before i buy a pair.
I need something for the winters, with Armor. So these wont do the job for me, its pretty cold here in the winters, so.
Quote:
With the armor, do these dry-cleaners do the job fine??

Anyway, I have now decided to take the troublesome job of taking the armor out. Most probably, the jacket is going into the washing machine...;-)

I think you will be better off sending it to the dry cleaners, they did a great job on my jacket.
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:41   #792
Senior - BHPian

Here is an update on the RJays canyon gloves and my initial impressions if i can say so....

Heard from Zulfi yesterday that Orion Yamaha (Bangalore) has stocks of the RJays canyon gloves. He also mentioned about Airoh helmets which i will come to later.

Orion is notorious for being low on stock or for products being out of stock for months together. So I called them today and checked if they had stock of the gloves so that I could see them in person and try them on. Luckily they did. Went over to their store and they had the RJays Canyon gloves in XL and M size.

Sizing:

I use the DSG Revive in M size so i was hoping this would be a straight fit but i was mistaken. The fingers were longer (i pinched them while i was wearing the gloves and i could grab half an inch or more of the leather) but the palm area was a snug fit.

Look-n-Feel:

Orion had the back-white combo in M size (one last pair) and it was looking nice but not as nice as it does in the brochure. Guaranteed to get soiled and stained in a ride or two. If you can manage to keep them clean, go for it.

Quality of leather felt good but on the finger area the stitches were really odd. I mean, the stitched area, where 2 pieces of leather meet is usually concealed inside the glove but this was glaringly visible on the outside. The stitch quality was not as expected too since i saw a loose thread in the thumb area on both gloves. Pulled on the thread and it became longer but stayed in place. Not sure if this is an extra thread (maybe from the bobbin(?), tailors could clarify better ) but otherwise the stitch quality in other areas of the glove were fine. I pulled on the leathers to see if the stitches gave way or if the leather ripped, luckily nothing.

Armor:

The RJays canyon gloves are equipped with plastic armor for the knuckles and Carbon Fiber/Kevlar material for the fingers. I was skeptical on the plastic armor but it looks sturdy. The armor is vented and so is the glove (not as many vents as the Revive so may not be very "airy" in the summers). The leather in these gloves is much thicker than the Revive and there is adequate padding in much needed area of the palm (just above the wrist where one normally gets bruised in case of a fall). These gloves look pretty durable and robust for protection against abrasion and impact.

Price:

Retails for Rs 2999/-but there is a special offer till 31st Dec 2011 so the gloves can be picked up for Rs. 2499/-

Go or No Go:

Overall these gloves are good VFM and i would recommend them. The perforations on these gloves for ventilation are far lesser than the one on the revive so i guess they will last much longer than my existing pair.

To give you an idea, please see the image below. The area that is encircled is where the gloves will tear and these perforations are present on the full length of all the fingers on the Revive gloves. This piece of perforated leather is thinner than the leather used on the palm or other areas of the glove, hence the limited life of the gloves.

The Riding Gear thread-dsg-revive-gloves.jpg

I've asked the staff at Orion to source a smaller pair for me to try on. Will decide to buy it if they fit me well.

To read about the Helmets click here.

Quote:
I need something for the winters, with Armor. So these wont do the job for me, its pretty cold here in the winters, so.
I remember reading about a winter glove - full leather gloves with warm liner being available in India but unable to recollect where i read this.

Please contact Performance Racing Store (Mumbai), Bachoo Motors (Mumbai) or PlanetDSG (Pune) for details. One of these guys might be having such gloves or can source a pair for you.

Last edited by n_aditya : 23rd December 2011 at 15:45.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:49   #793
Team-BHP Support

Adi - Are you looking forward to buy gloves? PRS has put the JR GPX 2.0 on sale, have a look Performance Racing Store. JOE ROCKET - GPX 2.0 GLOVES

The JR helmets are on sale as well for as little as 16K.
Old 26th December 2011, 10:51   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Adi - Are you looking forward to buy gloves? PRS has put the JR GPX 2.0 on sale, have a look Performance Racing Store. JOE ROCKET - GPX 2.0 GLOVES

The JR helmets are on sale as well for as little as 16K.
Thanks Sheel but i'm not too keen on full gauntlets, at least for now.
Old 26th December 2011, 13:18   #795
BHPian

I have a pair of DSG revive gloves. They are starting to get a little dusty. Was wondering how to clean them up. Any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks