Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2014, 12:27   #1981
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
[Sorry Doc I couldn't feel comfortable in the DMS boots]
They never feel comfortable initially (full grain 2-3 mm buffalo hide when new seldom does). They need to be run in. With a degree of discomfort, even pain, not to mention some bites and blisters even. But once they are bedded in, nothing comes close to toughness and longevity. And they become like a second skin. My 2004 DMS got retired just this year - because the sole finall parted from the upper. Partially, not completely. And both the upper and the sole still have not holde through. Over more than a DECADE of regular use (mainly riding admittedly, but still). They are so soft, that I can (and often do) simply slip them on without socks even, and ride with no issues.

My 2009 DMS is still going strong, with rides and treks. I feel it has at least another 4-5 years left in it.

I like your gear, but I have serious reservations about the utility or protection of those boots. They are not even regular army issue, but the after market ones bought by army guys. The sole clearly is nowhere close to construction or toughness or durability of even the army issue Hunters (both OG and camo), forget the DMS.

Last edited by ebonho : 7th November 2014 at 12:28.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 14:37   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I like your gear, but I have serious reservations about the utility or protection of those boots. They are not even regular army issue, but the after market ones bought by army guys. The sole clearly is nowhere close to construction or toughness or durability of even the army issue Hunters (both OG and camo), forget the DMS.
Totally agree Doc! Yes, these are not used in the Services. May be the level of commitment to break-in a pair of DMS boots was too less and the eagerness to get it and get going was too high! The sole is very light and slips on loose grounds... Even I would not recommend it now.

I'm planning to get the originals from 'M.E. Makatee & Company' MG Road and follow your Tips & Tricks to make it soft & usable!

BTW thanks Doc for your detailed analysis of Spartan jackets at Moto 101. Helped me decide.

Also, I came to know from Rynox Gears Facebook page that they are coming up with a "GT Air" Mesh jacket with 2 removable liners at around 5.5k directly pitching against the Cramster Breezers!
surjaonwheelz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 00:25   #1983
BHPian

Hi all,

I ride a white duke and want to get a jacket with the matching color sceme. However none of the VFM options provide a white colored textile jacket. Why is this? Is there some disadvantages to getting a white one apart from the fact that it will get dirty exponentially faster? On checking up online stores I found that majority of the jackets for women were of white/light color schemes. I want a jacket around 10k and for that budget no manufacturer has a light colored mens jacket. Am I missing something by wishing for a white jacket?
Old 9th November 2014, 12:02   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My 2004 DMS got retired just this year.
My 2009 DMS is still going strong, with rides and treks. I feel it has at least another 4-5 years left in it.
Can you please tell us where these DMS boots are available. As I am in Bangalore, can they be bought online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
I'm planning to get the originals from 'M.E. Makatee & Company' MG Road and follow your Tips & Tricks to make it soft & usable!
Are these the same DMS boots Ebonho was talking about? Can you please give us the contacts/address so that I can source from Bangalore.
Old 10th November 2014, 11:55   #1985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRam View Post
Can you please tell us where these DMS boots are available. As I am in Bangalore, can they be bought online.

Are these the same DMS boots Ebonho was talking about? Can you please give us the contacts/address so that I can source from Bangalore.
You wil get them in any military canteen (CSD) or army surplus shop in your city. Most cities with big army cantonment areas would have at least one. I do not know about Bangalore, but am sure you would find one there as well. Yes, these are the same DMS boots I am speaking about. Search this thread. I have given a lot of details on the same, along with photos of what they look like.
Old 10th November 2014, 18:11   #1986
BHPian

Got myself a AStar TGP R Air from Planet DSG over the weekend.
Rode today this jacket to office and really enjoyed the cool breeze that you get to experience with the mesh jacket. I have not yet removed the rain liner. Even then the feel was good. Cost me 15.5 k
The Riding Gear thread-dsc01895.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-dsc01894.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Hi all,

I ride a white duke and want to get a jacket with the matching color sceme. .. I want a jacket around 10k and for that budget no manufacturer has a light colored mens jacket. Am I missing something by wishing for a white jacket?
Look for AStar fending air jacket. Its available in white/black/red color. price will be around 12-13k if you can extend your budget beyond 10k. Or if you can extend the budget further then the TGP R Air like what I have got is available for 16k.
Old 17th November 2014, 19:42   #1987
Distinguished - BHPian

TBG full gauntlet gloves review

Someone stole one of my DSG Primal gloves . This led me to the search of another pair of gloves. Although i was happy with primal, the velcro quality is mediocre. Did not want cramster after reading -ve reviews about the brand as such. Hence zeroed down onto SPG Ares full gauntlet. Unfortunately(Or fortunately?) they were out of stock at all SPG outlets in Bangalore. When i called Lets gear up asking about SPG Ares, they mentioned that they have a better one called TBG(The Breed Gear) which is their inhouse brand. After listening to the features, i thought i will go and have a look before buying them.

So on a rainy Saturday went to their store in HSR. First look at the gloves and i was impressed. Build quality was much better than DSG . Leather was thicker(They claim it to be cow hide leather).A Large size fit excellent in my hand. They have the KNOX scaphoid protection system which is basically a hard piece of plastic stitched onto 2 places in the palm area which will make contact with the ground when you break the fall and let your palms slide on the tarmac rather than give a snappy reflex onto your wrist leading to the fracture of scaphoid bone as the leather grabs the tarmac. This system is available in the higher range of gloves but none of the the competition has it under 5K. Went ahead and bought a pair for Rs4000. After a month of using them daily for 2 hours in rain and shine here are my opinions about them.

Pros
1.Fit and finish excellent. The inside has a silky lining which acts as a barrier between your skin and leather.
2. No need to break in. I remember how achy my hands were till i could break in the primals. Fits like a glove, literally.
3.Have titanium plates on the wrists to protect them in case of fall. Better to have those plates on the gloves rather than inside your hands in case of an accident
4. KNOX scaphoid protection system
5. Palm area has an additional layer for gripping the handle bar

Cons
1. Bit thicker. Some may not like it
2.Take very long time to dry in case it gets drenched in rain.
3.Fungus grows in case its moist after drying. Need to take extra care to dry them properly . Never had the problem with fungus in my Primals even when wet

Overall i am very happy with the gloves and i would highly recommend these over the other full gauntlet gloves available in the market. In the price range of under 5K they are the best!

Short cuff gloves are also available in a variety of colors for 2999 bucks. They have all the features of the full gauntlet except the titanium plates since they dont come till above the wrists.

Ride safe
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 20:28   #1988
Senior - BHPian

Winter is here and its the perfect season to finally start using my leather jacket! Yay!

The Riding Gear thread-img_20141117_092319001.jpg
Old 19th November 2014, 12:52   #1989
BHPian

Fellows, I own a TB500 Twilight which I am presently running in (done about 1600 KMs). Planning to start off some long rides soon. Since I am based out of Chennai I am looking for a good Mesh jacket. I had gone to SPG showroom and found that the fitting of the armor was not perfect especially in the elbow area. Is there any multibrand jacket showrooms in chennai that I can go? I despise GP road so if there are any alternative suggestions, that would be much appreciated.

Another thing, I am commuting in city right now and looking for a city riding glove (not heavy duty, but enough protection in case of a fall), SPG does not have gloves. Can anyone suggest me a good pair and where I can get it? Thanks a ton for the help!
Old 19th November 2014, 18:16   #1990
Distinguished - BHPian

TBG Gloves + Cramster TRG2 feedback

I have been using my Cramster TRG2 gloves for years and I havent had any complaints till now. In fact I have been using the pair for so long that I cant recall when I bought them - sometime towards late 2010 or very early 2011, I guess. After all the years of hard use which includes commuting to office, occasional weekend rides etc: and a couple of spills, the leather on the finger tips has finally started to wear out on the left glove. It has gone through multiple monsoons and a trip to the Himalayas and lasted for ~ 4 years (if not more) which I feel is quite impressive.

I know Cramster has churned out more than a couple of poorly finished pieces of their gloves and knee guards but I have to give credit where credit is due, the pair I bought served me very well and has made me recommend the product on more than one occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
When i called Lets gear up asking about SPG Ares, they mentioned that they have a better one called TBG(The Breed Gear) which is their inhouse brand. After listening to the features, i thought i will go and have a look before buying them.
Thanks for the review Sagar, I had seen these the last time I had gone there but didnt examine them too carefully. 4K does seem to be a step up in terms of price when compared to other full gauntlet options but this one does throw in a lot of features. Now that my TRG2s are nearing the end of their life, I am thinking of upgrading to this if long terms reviews are positive. Do keep this thread posted as you clock in more miles.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 19th November 2014 at 18:18. Reason: Grammar
Old 19th November 2014, 18:43   #1991
BHPian

Guys need a few query answered and some suggestions as well regarding gloves , my main need is shielding my hand from cold . I am willing to sacrifice on the armor dept. for the sake of flexibility , I have previously tried armored gloves once and simply could not adapt to them . As such I need some suggestions regarding textile or lightly armored gloves available online( please refer to the link below , that or similar design is desirable) - I have tried every vendor from myntra jabong(for simple leather gloves , one would think they stock on them but nopes) to motorcycle gear specific vendors but cannot find anything that meets my need . budget is within 3k if possible .

Need some feedback on the brand SPIDI and how value for money it is , I see their products are priced around the mid bracket and are they worth it ?

Anyone here has experience purchasing gears from foreign vendors ? If yes then kindly some details on how complicated or otherwise the shipping is , based on my experience with an electronic item once , I was left in the dark for 2 weeks while the item was stuck at customs before they waved it on - can I expect similar treatment for gloves too ?

has anyone here dealt with this site , feedback please -
http://www.motosport.com/IN/motorcyc...ash-Tex-Gloves
Old 19th November 2014, 18:52   #1992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Guys need a few query answered and some suggestions as well regarding gloves , my main need is shielding my hand from cold .
The gloves in your link are actually proper armored gloves with the armor covered with the mesh type fabric on top so it is not visible. Not sure of the SPIDI brand though.

If its only for the cold, why not a leather glove that is sold by most helmet shops? If not, DSG has an option for 1999 which seems to be a good bet considering its a combo of Mesh & Leather with armor. Sounds like a good bet for that price.

Edit: Here is the link. Its DSG Phoenix - http://www.planetdsg.com/dsg-phoenix-gloves-p-1843.html

Last edited by abhinav.s : 19th November 2014 at 18:53.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 19:02   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
The gloves in your link are actually proper armored gloves with the armor covered with the mesh type fabric on top so it is not visible. Not sure of the SPIDI brand though.

If its only for the cold, why not a leather glove that is sold by most helmet shops? If not, DSG has an option for 1999 which seems to be a good bet considering its a combo of Mesh & Leather with armor. Sounds like a good bet for that price.

Edit: Here is the link. Its DSG Phoenix - http://www.planetdsg.com/dsg-phoenix-gloves-p-1843.html
Initially I was out for the usual leather glove as well to serve as stop gap measure but have simply failed to find one either here in local market/malls or online . Have found a few 150/200 bucks cheap foam leather gloves but those are just useless and very ill fitting . Here helmet shops are not stocked beyond cheap lids and studds as the premium offering .

Thank you for the DSG link ,the glove appears nice and might go for it , is it too bulky/thick ? I want maximum flexibility possible . The SPIDI glove appears quite thin(and if it is armored then even better) , 2k is no small amount so want to be sure before I purchase one or the other .

EDIT : Also how do I determine the best size ? Helmets have that chart to assist with online purchase , my guess is I am L though any benchmark one can compare against ?

Last edited by basuroy : 19th November 2014 at 19:05.
Old 19th November 2014, 19:11   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the DSG link ,the glove appears nice and might go for it , is it too bulky/thick ? I want maximum flexibility possible . The SPIDI glove appears quite thin(and if it is armored then even better) , 2k is no small amount so want to be sure before I purchase one or the other .
Don't personally own this but from the looks of it does not seem to be too bulky since its a combo of mesh & leather. Full leather gloves feel bulky/heavy.

Quote:
EDIT : Also how do I determine the best size ? Helmets have that chart to assist with online purchase , my guess is I am L though any benchmark one can compare against ?
An example sizing chart can be found here - http://www.goode.com/glove_sizing_chart.html
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 21:01   #1995
BHPian

Here's my 2 cents.

I have recently bought a pair of Cramster Flux Gloves. I have used them on a 150 Km trip to my native place. My opinion is that they are great. The grip was good, the fit is excellent (i use XL) fits in snugly. The finish is Good. I did not feel uncomfortable even though I was using any kind of of gloves while riding for the first time in my life!! But these are short and I am looking for a full gauntlet for the longer rides of future.
SDRam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed