Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2014, 19:02   #1846
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Any one use the Joe Rocket Reactor 3.0 jacket? It's a mesh jacket with leather lining and I'm wondering how it will hold up in Indian heat.
I've JR reactor 2.0 been using for last 4 years; pretty impressed & have soaked (real soak) in rains for 3 times & once in washing machine & leather still holds good. Last 2 years it has been abused & its still is good.

Reactor 3.0? Sorry no idea.
Old 3rd September 2014, 23:59   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I've JR reactor 2.0 been using for last 4 years; pretty impressed & have soaked (real soak) in rains for 3 times & once in washing machine & leather still holds good. Last 2 years it has been abused & its still is good.

Reactor 3.0? Sorry no idea.
Thanks a ton aargee. How does it feel while riding in traffic and on the highway? The 3.0 is coming to 14k plus 3k shipping or the 2.0 is 12k but no shipping to India. Is it very heavy and do you feel super hot in traffic?

Sorry about so many questions. I picked up the AGV Sport Laguna perforated leather jacket after reading reviews about how great the airflow was in summer and its turned out to be a sauna in Mumbai riding.
Old 7th September 2014, 18:35   #1848
BHPian

Hello friends,

Recently i have purchased a Desert Storm and have confirmed as rider with Royal Enfield that's taking us to Nepal next month from 5th - 19th Oct, 2014.

For this purpose, i need to build up my gear very fast as it's less than a month left. I need help from all experienced friends here. I have surveyed a lot and am very confused. As per the homework that i have done i have finalised/purchased the following items:

1. Touring Saddle Bag: Cramster: Colt: PURCHASED

2. Tank Bag: Rynox Optimus M: PURCHASED

3. Riding Jacket: to decide in between Hyperion or Helios Helios is for hot weather. Is Hyperion also for hot weather? What if we wear them in cold weather?

4. Gloves: I want to have dsg-hydro-waterproof-gloves for wet and cold weather and dsg-motomesh-gloves-black for Summers. Kindly let me know if my choice is ok. On trips i can carry both the pairs. I want my hands well ventilated in summers.

5. Knee Guard: to decide in between Thor Force Knee Guards and Alpinestars-bionic-knee-guards Personally i think Thor has an advantage as the thigh & shin parts accomodate leg movement whereas Alpinestars seems fixed.

6. Boots: i want to get Royal Enfield long-riding-boots/ as they are available in Lucknow which is just 80 kms from my Kanpur city and i can try them for comfort too.

I need your expert advise in the above matter friends so that i can build up my decent gear. I look forward to do many such rides in future :-)

Thanks & regards

Sandeep
Old 8th September 2014, 17:47   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
3. Riding Jacket: to decide in between Helios is for hot weather. Is Hyperion also for hot weather? What if we wear them in cold weather?
Hyperion is nothing but a slightly upgraded version of Helios that has leather instead of codura material. Both serve same purpose & both can be used in hot weather & if you use the inner liner (rain), both can be used to protect you from cold weather.

Quote:
4. Gloves: I want to have...I want my hands well ventilated in summers
Motomesh...NO NO!! We used to get DSG Revive which is nearly bullet proof; but I think it's no longer available. So pls try & settle with SPG Aries or DSG Primal

Quote:
5. Knee Guard: to decide in between...Personally i think Thor has an advantage as the thigh & shin parts accomodate leg movement whereas Alpinestars seems fixed
If you're getting original A* bionic knee guard...simply go for it. Nothing beats it

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything more.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 20:05   #1850
BHPian

Quote:

If you're getting original A* bionic knee guard...simply go for it. Nothing beats it

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything more.
Many thanks for your reply Aargee... i really appreciate :-)

So.. for riding jacket it's Hyperion. For gloves it's DSG Hydro Waterproof & DSG Primal as you suggest :-)

One question regarding Knee Guard... although i inquired today about Thor - it's out of stock. So i am left with further 2 choices: Alpinestars bionic SX knee guards (Rs.9,250/-) and Alpinestars boinic knee guard (RS.5,999/-)

Now my question is... in the former SX one, i dont see any the thigh & shin parts accommodating leg movement AND SEEM FIXED whereas the latter one accommodates leg movement. Please see the video here: Vs

Please clear this knee guard issue and i am done with my purchase. I really want strong knee guards and i like the way the latter one (and cheaper) accommodates leg movement. I hope purchasing from www.planetdsg.com is safe and genuine.

Also, what do you say about the quality of Royal Enfield Boots? Are they worth their salt?

I am sorry to bother you with so many links, video's and questions... please bear Aargee :-)

I appreciate all the help extended by you Aargee :-)

Thanks & regards

Sandeep
Old 8th September 2014, 22:58   #1851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So.. for riding jacket it's Hyperion. For gloves it's DSG Hydro Waterproof & DSG Primal as you suggest :-)
Up to you, but remember, leather + water combo isn't that great

Quote:
One question regarding Knee Guard...
Any day I would prefer Bionic knee guards; If you can pls, go back some 4-5 pages in this thread to see the discussion on the knee guards following the accident of my friend how a riding pant failed to protect his knees. May be those discussion give you some light.

About the motocross type of knee guards...remember the elastic loosens over a period of time. A pair that is carefully used can last some 35-40K Km or so.
Old 9th September 2014, 17:32   #1852
BHPian

Few queries :-

1) Anybody here used the Dirtsack Ranger thigh bag or the Spartan Hermis thigh bag? How useful or convenient is it to use while on the bike? Any feedback on the quality and utility.

I intend to carry some small items like hand sanitizer, face wipes, army knife etc.

My main concern is whether it will foul with my riding position on a P220, ie whether it will poke into the belly or hang/flap around on day long tours.

2) SPG Hercules boots users - How hot or uncomfortable does it get, considering this has a rainproof liner and no perforations for air flow?
Old 9th September 2014, 18:45   #1853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
1) Anybody here used the Dirtsack Ranger thigh bag or the Spartan Hermis thigh bag? How useful or convenient is it to use while on the bike? Any feedback on the quality and utility
I'm presently using Wildcraft's waist pouch to hold my wallet, mobile, Anker (including 2 cables), GoPro (case + helmet mount), wet facials (25 strips), all 3 vehicle docos, 40X40 MF to clean helmet, small sprayer to clean helmet visor. I'm sure it can still hold Swiss army knife as well.

Why I don't prefer thigh bag is because...
1. When it rains, first thing to get wet will be hermis being on thighs. But with waist-pouch, I can simply turn it to my back which will & HAS protected greatly from water. Since Wildcraft has a outer cover, it has protected my mobile to an extent (not 100%) from getting drenched in super duper rain for over 170+ Km
2. Personally its easy to remove the waist pouch & put it back if we remove the jacket. However, its not as easy to unwear/wear Hermis relatively

If you're in Chennai, I can give you mine which is never used for even a single ride for a great price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
2) SPG Hercules boots users...and no perforations for air flow?
I don't know about this one, but for sure, I'm using a hardcore water proof boots (A* Roam) which is for sure bad-ass when it comes to perforation!! Yes, legs get saggy & sometimes fingers turn red & hurt after a day long ride (read 14+ hours).

If you're planning to ride only during dry Weather, pls get riding boots with good ventilation. If you plan to use both dry & wet weather...Goretex riding boots is your best bet.
Old 10th September 2014, 10:44   #1854
BHPian

Thank you aargee for your insights.

The Hermis in particular did not look too exciting to me. The Dirtsack Ramger thigh looked interesting to me with better retention system. Pity I cant take a look at the products before I purchase.

The Cramster Hippo waistpack too seems pretty handy.

Goretex boots are unfortunately out of my budget right. May have to stick to some Indian make like those from SPG. Not very keen on Orazo or army boots, solely because of the laces.
Old 11th September 2014, 21:34   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I was considering getting a pair of gloves for a <3000 budget.

I was thinking about the DSG Primal till I read that they aren't suited for the monsoon. I was looking at all-weather gloves.

Primarily looking for knuckle protection because I've seen a lot of people getting their knuckles hurt after a fall.

Thanks.
Old 11th September 2014, 21:50   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I was looking at all-weather gloves
Summer - Need air flow & Winter - Don't need airflow. This itself defies the "All-Weather"

However, if you're looking to ride in Monsoon as well as Summer, then, pls get something similar to these...
1. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...ore-tex-gloves
2. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ex_gloves.html

Personally, I would suggest carrying 2 pairs; one to use during Summer & other during Winter & Monsoon, will work out much economical as well.
Old 11th September 2014, 22:06   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Summer - Need air flow & Winter - Don't need airflow. This itself defies the "All-Weather"

However, if you're looking to ride in Monsoon as well as Summer, then, pls get something similar to these...
1. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...ore-tex-gloves
2. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ex_gloves.html

Personally, I would suggest carrying 2 pairs; one to use during Summer & other during Winter & Monsoon, will work out much economical as well.
The ones you suggested are 5 times my budget

So, what would you suggest for summer and what for winter?
Old 11th September 2014, 22:42   #1858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
So, what would you suggest for summer and what for winter?
If I were to buy any Indian product, my first choice would be anything from SPG or DSG as they're all time tested.

Buy any perforated leather for summer use; the Primal you were saying itself is suffice for Summer.

These are good for Winter & Monsoon - http://www.planetdsg.com/alpinestars...ack-p-790.html OR http://www.planetdsg.com/dsg-hydro-w...es-p-1840.html

Anything from SPG & DSG will be good VFM.
Old 11th September 2014, 22:44   #1859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I were to buy any Indian product, my first choice would be anything from SPG or DSG as they're all time tested.

Buy any perforated leather for summer use; the Primal you were saying itself is suffice for Summer.

These are good for Winter & Monsoon - http://www.planetdsg.com/alpinestars...ack-p-790.html OR http://www.planetdsg.com/dsg-hydro-w...es-p-1840.html

Anything from SPG & DSG will be good VFM.
Thank you aargee.
Old 12th September 2014, 11:31   #1860
Senior - BHPian

Anyone looked at the options at the Dainese store in bangalore? How are the products/prices? I know the brand but not sure what's available , not had a chance to check it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks