Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 22:28   #1966
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Come on Doc, control your cannibalistic tendencies

I have been consulting some of the more well known riders about going the leather way. Most say no, just one said yes, with the old "better to sweat than too bleed" line ; the same (most) guys who say ATGATT have not gone for leathers for street riding.

Where are the SBK owners and track-day junkies on team BHP at ? I thought quite a few wear leathers based on the pics I've been seeing. Your feedback solicited.
Old 31st October 2014, 22:42   #1967
BHPian

I have never worn any leather jacket in my life. Most say that it cooks you completely in India weather. Are they really that unbearable, even in places like BLR?
Does it get as hot as a Mesh jacket with a rain liner inside (say, Spartan Helios + rain liner) or even worse?
Old 2nd November 2014, 08:31   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I have never worn any leather jacket in my life. Most say that it cooks you completely in India weather. Are they really that unbearable, even in places like BLR?
Does it get as hot as a Mesh jacket with a rain liner inside (say, Spartan Helios + rain liner) or even worse?
Mesh with built-in crash foam is the best. Leather was unbearable in blr in November. But mesh with rain liner is the worst.

The opinion is terms of comfort & not protection. All for Bangalore
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 21:19   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Mesh with built-in crash foam is the best. Leather was unbearable in blr in November. But mesh with rain liner is the worst.

The opinion is terms of comfort & not protection. All for Bangalore
Thanks sridhu.

I agree with mesh + rain liner. I have a Helios. I have experienced a few cases where I had worn the rain liner under my Helios(mesh jacket) fearing rain but later the Sun turned up very fiercely. I had such an experience recently where I had to crawl in traffic for 2 hours. By the time I reached office, it was around 11 AM and my shirt had become completely wet like I had taken a dip in water. At one of the traffic signals, I was feeling like I was going to pass out. However, it was easily manageable as long as I was on the move at anything above 40.

Since you say that leather is better than the mesh + rain liner combo, I think leather jackets are easily manageable on the highways, esp. perforated ones. But I wouldn't dare wear one in the City(I don't have any plans to buy it though)

Last edited by theredliner : 2nd November 2014 at 21:20.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 10:22   #1970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Does anyone have reviews/opinions on the following gear based on personal experience or that of close riding companions ?

1. Trackbreed leather suit
2. AGVSport Bullet leather suit
3. PGS leather suit
4. Alpine Stars Motegi leather suit
5. DSG Ripper leather suit
I'd recommend staying away from Alpine Stars - I've been using a AlpineStars Vector suit from '06 and at that time I was no intelligent, so went and bought one The problem with them is the quality/features of suit you get is not worth the premium you pay.

I'd suggest giving Trackbreed a try. They seem to be offering a lot of features for the price you pay. Another good alternative is the Joe Rocket 6.0 one piece suit.
vignesh.cv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:21   #1971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At one of the traffic signals, I was feeling like I was going to pass out.
I have had exactly the same experience wearing my leathers for a ride to the Konkan and having to pass through particularly nasty traffic in one of the towns we passed on the way. Even with the zip fuly down, I was cooking. I could feel waves of heat rise from my torso into my helmet. My face was red, temples throbbing. And most worryingly, I had stopped sweating. I was dry. I was having a heat stroke! No leather except for a ride in the mountains maybe. At least with the mesh you can take out the rain liner.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 20:56   #1972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I have had exactly the same experience ...
And most worryingly, I had stopped sweating. I was dry. I was having a heat stroke! No leather except for a ride in the mountains maybe. At least with the mesh you can take out the rain liner.
Ah. That's scary. I guess it'll be good only for those doing highway riding during nights. BTW, which jacket was that(name)?
Old 5th November 2014, 12:44   #1973
Senior - BHPian

Alpinestar

Is there an Alpinestar stockist/dealer in Bangalore or in India, who stocks ridding boots ?

This question is on behalf of a non-BHPian friend

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 5th November 2014, 15:21   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Does anyone have reviews/opinions on the following gear based on personal experience or that of close riding companions ?

1. Trackbreed leather suit
2. AGVSport Bullet leather suit
3. PGS leather suit
4. Alpine Stars Motegi leather suit
5. DSG Ripper leather suit
I use Alpinestars Carver suit for basic canyon riding and track days. Motegi is the newer version of it and has a better padding using TPR inserts. I wear the suit with an additional back protector. I find it a good value for the money I put, it has ample ventilation for riding on warm days.

It depends on what purpose you are looking to get a suit. Street riding? or tracks? If you are in India and you are primarily looking for street riding my suggestion would be to go for a two piece suit instead on a single. They are as protective as the single piece and easier to move around.

I have no experience with the other brands mentioned, but you must also consider Dainese. I think they have stores in India as well. I have a lot of my friends who ride with Dianese and vouch for it. The reason I chose AS over D is fit wasn't what I wanted and the ones I liked and fit me well were highly priced.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 18:27   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alpinestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Is there an Alpinestar stockist/dealer in Bangalore or in India, who stocks ridding boots ?
PlanetDSG, but they're having limited quantities, size & stock. Better is to order online as several stores are shipping to India. The cost of importing + custom tax will be <= the price sold in India

But remember to check if PlanetDSG is authorized reseller for A* in India
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 19:03   #1976
BHPian

Quote:

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
He might want to look at https://www.facebook.com/astarsdelhi

This store is listed on Planet DSG's site (http://www.planetdsg.com/dealers.php) as a dealer (Moto Madness) and last month, it started off as AStar reseller too. I have visited the store and was impressed with the range/stock - that I couldn't find something to meet my need/taste (cruiser gear) is the reason I couldn't pick anything.

Last edited by AlokSriva : 5th November 2014 at 19:04. Reason: Addded dealer's previous name
AlokSriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 09:49   #1977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Orion Motors, behind Forum Mall (Dairy circle exit from Forum mall) is an authorized reseller for Planet DSG and also stocks genuine A* products.

I haven't been there in ages so not sure of what kind of variants they stock.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 10:29   #1978
BHPian

Quote:

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Orion motors behind Forum Mall in Bangalore Stocks A*.
I recently picked up A* SMX6 Vented boots from there.
AMG_ang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 11:27   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah. That's scary. I guess it'll be good only for those doing highway riding during nights. BTW, which jacket was that(name)?
There's no name. They are just export leather jacket and pants made by a friend of mine with a leather garment business (exporting mainly to New Zealand). Here is a photo, but in more suitable weather -

The Riding Gear thread-dscn0064.jpg
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 18:43   #1980
BHPian

Hello Riders,

Thanks to all who posted in this thread, for helping me deciding on my riding gear!

Well I used to ride a modest Bajaj Platina for 7 years and 65k kms until recently I acquired the Royal Enfield Classic 350. And the equations changed, I suddenly felt the need of protective gear (Riding Jacket). I used to always use a Helmet (ISI Mark) and Pro-biker gloves (Rs.400).

After initial run-in period of my Enfield the hunt began in the following order:
1. Helmet - minimum DOT certified.
2. Riding shoes - which could be rough & tough.
3. Knee guards - only knee guards & not a combo of knee + elbow guards.
4. Riding jacket - Mesh for round the year use.
Note: These were my basic requirements. I opted for knee guards over riding pants which I'll buy later. The only motive was to move to a proper riding gear and get used to it. Regular usage was the highest priority and not for some extreme expedition.

1. I visited Pro Biker Helmet Store in MG Road, Pune to zero in on Vega Axor Black helmet for Rs.2,420/- Tried a few LS2s but I was strict with my budget.

2. Luckily my friend is in the Indian Army. As he could spare time I hit the CSD to pick up my pair of Jungle Canvas boots (PVC Sole) Rs.650/- with a pair of rubber in-soles.
[Sorry Doc I couldn't feel comfortable in the DMS boots]

3. I zeroed in on the Fox Raptor knee guards from a store in Pimpri, Pune. (Riding gear & tyre shop behind Poona Scooters) Rs.700/-

4. Riding Jacket, well that's when this thread came in so handy and Doc being from Pune was the icing on the cake!
I was for quite some time browsing motorcyclegear.com and revzilla.com for some closeout deals. But sizing was a big concern. Later almost made up my mind for AGV Sport Solare Mesh jacket, size S, from performanceracing.in at Rs.6,500/- But I dumped the option as I was not sure of the size.
Finally got the Spartan Icarus Mesh jacket from Moto 101, DP Road, Pune for Rs.4,799/- after trying out the Rynox Tornado (Mesh) Rs.6,200/- Stealth (Textile vented) Rs.6,800/- Cramster Breezer 4.0 (Mesh) Rs.5,450/- Breezer 4S (Textile Mesh) Rs. 5,950/-

Amongst the Spartans I chose the Icarus as it fit my bill and ticked all the right boxes. I can wear it daily!

Please find the pictures below. I still use my old pair of gloves and will upgrade to a decent pair sooner or later.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-1.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-2.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-3.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-4.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-5.jpg  

surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed