Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 15:16   #1951
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I have the same concern but only on the left knee. I pulled out the armor to check if it was placed incorrectly (upside down) but it wasn't. Maybe I need to reposition it or wear a thin pair of pants inside. I had an ugly red scuff mark on my left knee after a full day's ride.
I get actual bleeding there, small but noticeable. I tried changing the knox knee guards with the elbow guards from DSG Triton jacket, since they are much thinner. That didn't help much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The other problem with the Spartan pants is that they claim to be waterproof but are far far from being so. Heard the same about their Cordura jacket (Achilles? Adonis?).

On the last rain ride to Goa, my friend had bought these pants specifically for the ride. By the time we were 100 kms into the ride (the uber fantastic Varandha Bhor ghat - where it was coming down in celestial buckets) his inners were soaked.

I was wearing my Aussie Dri Rider WP pants, and while eventually I too got that first dreaded cold trickle, my inners were not even close to the wring-buckets-of-rain-water-out wet as his were.

I have "heard" that DSG's Nero pants (the one with the Adidas style side piping) are better on this score. Ashok (ashkamath) here wears them. Maybe he can confirm?
LOL, let me tell you my experience with the waterproofing of Spartan Odysseus pants. I took them on my maiden ride to Ladakh, all smiling and sure that nothing could stop me. From Chandigarh to Manali, I was in great pain due to knee guards, didn't wear them for the rest of the ride.

After Manali, we didn't get much rain. But then at Talangla all hell broke loose! Ice cold rain, hail and huge thunderstorm. I kept pushing through, thinking everything was waterproof.

Suddenly I felt a strange pain shooting down my balls. Turns out the Odysseus is not waterproof at a very strategic location - the rough patch under your ass. The water had seeped in, and it felt like someone had shoved an ice pack right down my bum . Horrible horrible feeling.
Old 16th October 2014, 15:31   #1952
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday was election day in Pune and my company had given us a holiday to allow us to exercise our franchise comfortably. So my duties done as a good citizen, I set off to check out the armor in the Spartan and Cramster jackets I was speaking of above. Happy to say that regardless of the fit, finish, material, features, look, etc., that one comparison settled the issue in my mind at least.

Let the photos tell the story ......

CE rated Spartan dual density foam back protector (the outer yellow part has a raised central section with a recessed border)

The Riding Gear thread-dsc02769.jpg

Thickness of 1 cm.

The Riding Gear thread-dsc02770.jpg

CE rated stamp on shoulder pad (type B - not the smaller lighter type A)

The Riding Gear thread-dsc02771.jpg

Outer part of shoulder and elbow pad (the elbow pad does not have a CE rating stamp incidentally, even though it looks exactly lie the shouldr one)

The Riding Gear thread-dsc02772.jpg

The inner part of the shoulder and elbow pad (elbow pad does not have the CE rating stamp here either)

The Riding Gear thread-dsc02773.jpg

Inner part of the Knox upgrade back protector (available in higher models, Hyperion onwards, as well as for Helios for 1500 extra)

The Riding Gear thread-dsc02774.jpg

Outer segmented surface of Knox back protector (CE rating stamp visible)

The Riding Gear thread-dsc02775.jpg

CE rating stamp of the Knox back protector

The Riding Gear thread-dsc02778.jpg

1 cm thickness of Cramster single layer plain foam back pad (non CE rated)

The Riding Gear thread-dsc02779.jpg

Shoulder and elbow armor (claim CE rated, but no rating stamp anywhere seen) with the back pad

The Riding Gear thread-dsc02780.jpg

Close up of shoulder and elbow armor (outer black hard plastic shell stitched to a thin yellow foam inner - no CE rating stamp visible anywhere)

The shoulder armor is 15 mm thick at its thickest central part, while the elbow armor is 10 mm thick at its thickest central part.

The Riding Gear thread-dsc02781.jpg

Inner yellow foam layer covered with a yellow cloth type layer (this layer would be max 3-4 mm thick - with the hard pastic layer maybe 2-3 mm)

The Riding Gear thread-dsc02782.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 16th October 2014 at 15:49.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 16:38   #1953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
After Manali, we didn't get much rain. But then at Talangla all hell broke loose! Ice cold rain, hail and huge thunderstorm. I kept pushing through, thinking everything was waterproof.

Suddenly I felt a strange pain shooting down my b***s. Turns out the Odysseus is not waterproof at a very strategic location - down he rough patch under your a*s. The water had seeped in, and it felt like someone had shoved an ice pack right down my bum . Horrible horrible feeling.
Taking the liberty to star out the words not acceptable here bro.

But I get the point. Most riders who have felt that first cold trickle on their hitherto perfectly dry and warm protected inners would .....

I think the weak area is the zipper. From there the water enters, trickles down between your legs, and then pools in between your legs where the V of your legs and buttocks makes a natural reservoir dam with the seat acting as the floor. You can actually feel the water sloshing there, working its way up your natal cleft (look it up), and you have this terrible dilemma in your mind as you juggle controlling your bike hurtling along at 80 kms per hour though the falling rain, the cold lake swelling between your thighs, and the urge to release that water level build up by moving.

Only the thought of that icy water coursing down your as yet dry and toasty legs and into your socks to then form additional downstream sub-reservoir pools at the bottom of each of your riding boots keeps your buttocks firmly anchored in place. Till such time as you stop and get off the bike (and promptly dance the jig) as the dam finally bursts. OR you keep riding, too chicken to stop, trying to delay the inevitable, and the dam bursts anyways as the water now flows over the curve of your seat and finds its way in twin streams down each thigh .....

Aaaaah, what bliss to be a rider in a thunderstorm!

My last ride with the quick drying moisture wicking inners (top and bottom) from Decathlon was a HUGE improvement in comfort levels though. Highly recommended as base layers. Even when the enemy finally breaks through, you do not feel sopping miserable like with wet cotton, and it dries off to a nice dry-ish non clammy soft non sticking layered feel within no time of the rain stopping and the air blowing though (if you have vented pants that is).

Guys, mods, sorry for the borderline graphic descriptive process. But believe me, for a rider, nothing is more important than dry underwear.

Last edited by ebonho : 16th October 2014 at 16:46.
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 17:56   #1954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Taking the liberty to star out the words not acceptable here bro.
======
Guys, mods, sorry for the borderline graphic descriptive process. But believe me, for a rider, nothing is more important than dry underwear.
Didn't know these words were not allowed, will go with nuts and buns in future

I did raise this waterproofing and knee-guard issue with Spartan, they said it's your fault and then stopped replying to my emails!

I gotta get me one of these inners man, do you mean the cycling shorts or is this something more specific to motorcycle riding? Cost and item name please, if possible.
Old 16th October 2014, 19:23   #1955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I did raise this waterproofing and knee-guard issue with Spartan, they said it's your fault and then stopped replying to my emails!
That's really not nice. I thought these guys were rider-friendly. Apparently to a point only.

Quote:
I gotta get me one of these inners man, do you mean the cycling shorts or is this something more specific to motorcycle riding? Cost and item name please, if possible.
There was a discussion on this before the Independnce day holidays. Let me search.

Here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3500834
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 19:17   #1956
BHPian

Are there any Shoei resellers in India? I plan to pick-up a GT-Air, and am hoping i can source it locally.
Old 20th October 2014, 16:24   #1957
BHPian

HELP NEEDED! Looking to buy riding pants for my upcoming Bhutan ride. Since it's going to be cold, need the pant to have a removable thermal liner.

Checked with DSG, and their Nero pant is no more available, some replacement for it is coming, which will take a while.

Don't want to go with any Spartan product, because of the horrible experience I had with their Odysseus pants.

Zeus seems to have a pant that fits my bill, but can't see any reviews for it. Anyone here use it?

Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 20th October 2014, 16:41   #1958
BHPian

Here are TCX-X Ride Waterproof riding boots, again, picked last week. Superbly comfortable not only while riding, but walking too!
The Riding Gear thread-img_20141020_155928.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20141020_155949.jpg

Unable to decide on riding jacket and gloves - have short-listed a few.. matter of taking the plunge
Old 21st October 2014, 01:55   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Went through the thread but could not find anything on what i'm about to ask and hence this post.

Is there anyone who has a KTM 390 matching riding Gear ( Read Jacket , Riding Pants & Riding boots ).

I have the LS2 as of now for the KTM and complete Riding Gear for my TBTS but looking for the perfect match for my 390
Old 21st October 2014, 14:57   #1960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Went through the thread but could not find anything on what i'm about to ask and hence this post.

Is there anyone who has a KTM 390 matching riding Gear ( Read Jacket , Riding Pants & Riding boots ).

I have the LS2 as of now for the KTM and complete Riding Gear for my TBTS but looking for the perfect match for my 390
If you are looking for KTM branded products then they have following two options listed on the KTM website -
Vented pant - 3PW1312203. Vented jacket - 3PW111123.
If you are just looking for color coding like orange/black or white then there are products from SPG, DSG and A* with that combination readily available.
the VTEC guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 14:29   #1961
BHPian

Team, has anyone placed any international orders for any products from Revzilla or any such websites for the riding gear. What is the experience on the customs charges, delivery timeline? Tried to order through Revzilla they do have restriction of minimum 300$ order.
Old 29th October 2014, 14:48   #1962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Team, has anyone placed any international orders for any products from Revzilla or any such websites for the riding gear. What is the experience on the customs charges, delivery timeline? Tried to order through Revzilla they do have restriction of minimum 300$ order.
Sir,

Revzilla is a very reputed/reliable site and I have dealt with them from within US.

They make sense when they talk of MOV of $300 as it would justify the higher shipping costs/customs etc. They usually ship the same day of the order, next day at most and then its up to the logistics company (They mostly use FedeX and UPS too)
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 22:57   #1963
BHPian

Does anyone have reviews/opinions on the following gear based on personal experience or that of close riding companions ?

1. Trackbreed leather suit
2. AGVSport Bullet leather suit
3. PGS leather suit
4. Alpine Stars Motegi leather suit
5. DSG Ripper leather suit
Old 30th October 2014, 11:06   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Does anyone have reviews/opinions on the following gear based on personal experience or that of close riding companions ?

1. Trackbreed leather suit
2. AGVSport Bullet leather suit
3. PGS leather suit
4. Alpine Stars Motegi leather suit
5. DSG Ripper leather suit
Woah! I am seeing a Ricci Tandoori some way into the not too distant future!
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 15:29   #1965
BHPian

Has anyone tried the a2z motorcycle superstore at Bhandup (Mumbai). They seem to the official dealers for DSG gear. A look at their shop doesn't look like they keep enough stock.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks