Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:02   #19801
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

One of my senior colleagues and his 15-year old son were killed in this horrific accident which happened last night.

Another colleague who was with them, when they were returning from a wedding reception from another city and were hit by a rashly-driven dumper truck, is in ICU and is battling for his life.

Both vehicles were over 100+ kmph, according to eyewitnesses. This happened near Pathakhera, Betul district, M.P.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_8774.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_8773.jpg
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:28   #19802
BHPian

Extremely horrific. Looking at the front, I believe the impact was more to the left side. The dumper could have either hit from behind and the car hit either the median or something on the left in high speed.

So sad to hear the loss of two lives for some reckless driving. RIP
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:35   #19803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
One of my senior colleagues and his 15-year old son were killed in this horrific accident which happened last night.

Another colleague who was with them, when they were returning from a wedding reception from another city and were hit by a rashly-driven dumper truck, is in ICU and is battling for his life.

Both vehicles were over 100+ kmph, according to eyewitnesses. This happened near Pathakhera, Betul district, M.P.
Truly Horrific sight seeing the condition of mangled vehicle. RIP the deceased ones.
I have driven in the night on quite a few occasions with my family on 2 lane roads without divider and I can say for sure one has to be extremely watchful as the lorry traffic will be high. Also the high beams from such vehicles can blind you. Until and unless it is a straight road, I will not overtake any vehicle.
Also I restrict my driving speed to around 70-75 kmph so that i am able to spot vehicles ahead of me as some of them may not have reflectors.
I guess the above accident is a result of overtaking gone horribly wrong.
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:40   #19804
Team-BHP Support

The roof seems to have been cut on the RHS to extract the occupants so difficult to gauge accident damage, but it appears from the pic that the cabin is pretty intact on the driver's side. Was the person at the wheel belted up? Doesn't appear so, looking at the seat belt position in the picture.

P.S. M.P. is notorious for wrong-side driving on highways. Before someone says it's prevalent everywhere, I agree but I've never found anyone elsewhere driving on the wrong side at normal pace as if they had every right to be there. I've had some heart-in-mouth situations on the fabulous Indore-Bhopal divided highway where you suddenly see a set of oncoming lights on your side of the highway around a blind sweeping section of road, and it's pure fortune whether you'll have enough space/time to swerve out of the way.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd February 2016 at 19:56.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 23:43   #19805
Senior - BHPian

Another incidence of lorry traffic and rashness.
Day before yesterday, I was driving to my maternal native village, and had done the same on 15th of Jan also. The lorry traffic and utter lack of discipline shocked me. One overloaded lorry attempting to overtake another, with zero thougt of oncoming traffic. Had to brake severely more than 7 or 8 times, brining Innova to complete halt from a good 100 kmph.
Bus traffic was also similar, specially private buses. At one place, a biker made a high risk overtaking move, and almost crashed head on with my Innova. People have literally lost sense of using road. This was once a stretch on which I drove Baleno just for relaxation. Now driving on that road is nuisance.

For roads with no dividers,I just avoid travelling at night. Too much stressful it is, and not worth taking so much risk. Also, on any road, wrong side traffic is something one has to watch out for. Avoid driving at night unless really required. An extra set of lights are a must for Indian highways if night drives are unavoidable. And never cross 60-70 kmph range, this helps to take more effective emergency moves. Always keep a lot of space between your car and any hcv. Dashcams are an absolute must, given the increasing risk and chaos.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 3rd February 2016 at 00:04.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 23:58   #19806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Seems like a horrific accident, may their souls RIP. Another victim of some rash driving of the trucks in this country.

Are the occupants of the car were wearing seat belts?
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:19   #19807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
..... Had to brake severely more than 7 or 8 times, brining Innova to complete halt from a good 100 kmph.
You let the cat out of the bag there!
With chaotic traffic, why 100 kmph?
anupmathur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:49   #19808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You let the cat out of the bag there!
With chaotic traffic, why 100 kmph?
Also, Isn't the vehicle on the wrong side of the road? Hope its not being driven on the wrong side of the road at 100KMPH and it was only brought there because some free space is available to cut and extract passengers.
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:14   #19809
Senior - BHPian

If you look closely at the pictures, the crumple zones haven't actually been used. This is the perfect example of small overlap crash test, that is now mandatory in US, in the real world.
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:53   #19810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Also, Isn't the vehicle on the wrong side of the road? Hope its not being driven on the wrong side of the road at 100KMPH and it was only brought there because some free space is available to cut and extract passengers.
The post which anupmathur is talking about is Post #19805 (with traffic + 100km/h mention) and the Dzire crash posted by RavenAvi in Post #19801 has only 100km/h mention. Both are different incidents, I think you got confused.
swift_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 11:51   #19811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
The post which anupmathur is talking about is Post #19805 (with traffic + 100km/h mention) and the Dzire crash posted by RavenAvi in Post #19801 has only 100km/h mention. Both are different incidents, I think you got confused.
Thanks Bro, for correcting

I am referring to post 19801 where the car seems to be on the right side shoulder of the road. In the same context, the other post is talking about driving on the wrong side of the road. Was wondering if this car is also driven on the wrong side of the road and the dumper came on the proper side, for a change? Hope that wasn't the case and the impacted car is moved to that edge, for want of space - post accident.
Old 5th February 2016, 20:59   #19812
BHPian

Somewhere near karnal, not sure how it happened.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160205_154907.jpg
Old 5th February 2016, 21:18   #19813
BHPian

A careless biker testing his fate.
Old 6th February 2016, 10:38   #19814
BHPian

This is so very typical of Gujarat , where two wheeler drivers ride with care a damn attitude ! The general perception of two wheeler riders here being , I will drive as I wish , if you wish to avoid legal hassles , you ought to save me . In the concerned video to if one watches carefully one shall observe that the rider has no where looked to his left to check for incoming traffic ..
sanjz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 10:56   #19815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
This is so very typical of Gujarat , where two wheeler drivers ride with care a damn attitude ! The general perception of two wheeler riders here being , I will drive as I wish , if you wish to avoid legal hassles , you ought to save me . In the concerned video to if one watches carefully one shall observe that the rider has no where looked to his left to check for incoming traffic ..
m.indiatoday.in/story/at-least-20-killed-after-bus-falls-in-river-in-gujarats-navsari/1/588826.html

A leading Gujarati daily claims that above incident occured in order to save a biker on wrong side at a corner. Two wheeler riders in Gujarat lack any sort of sense and they are often the one who lead to bigger crashes. Three young individuals riding on a bike and trying to race anybody who overtake them is the norm.
I have experienced this in almost all major cities of Gujarat. Helmet, rear view mirriors are absent on most of the two wheelers.
Driving on highways infested with indisciplined two wheeler riders take the pleasure out of driving, rather it adds upto a tiring drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks