Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2024, 19:56   #40141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
the car entering the main road, who could have helped to avoid this accident. The driver does not see the dashcam car and enters the main road without waiting...
I think that car was stopped / stopping at the instant of the collision. The driver's attention was focused on their right which is probably why they didn't seem to have noticed the wrongsider at all.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 22:35   #40142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Biker riding with impunity on the wrong-side ends up hitting not 1 but 2 vehicles. Rider is definitely hurt, pillion seems to be limping. When will these idiots ever learn?
I stay near where this happened. I am not surprised at all. Something like this was bound to happen given the rampant wrong side driving in the area.

For those of you interested in some details, here is some background: This happened in Nallagandla, Hyderabad. The car entering the main road is exiting Himasai Lake View apartments. Just adjacent to the apartment complex is the upcoming Aparna mall.

There is a U-turn/divider including a set of traffic lights a few hundred meters from the location, which is closed permanently with barricades (Thanks D-Mart!). There is a D-Mart located across the road. Thanks to the location, almost everyone who heads towards Tellapur/Wipro Circle have started driving in the opposite direction to join the main road. Grid locks thanks to wrong side drivers trying to get to the other side was a routine occurrence during weekends. One weekend, the situation got so bad that there was a traffic jam for around an hour. This was when Police decided to close the divider altogether instead of taking action. The next available divider is just after Aparna. The problem with closing the U-turn near this particular apartment is that it resulted in the construction workers and delivery guys working in Aparna mall and adjacent communities started driving in the wrong route to avoid an additional distance of 1 KM. Once the Aparna mall opens, this will only get worse. This is a 6-lane road with only 4 lanes functional. The last lane is always occupied by hawkers, people driving on the wrong side or parked vehicles. The situation on the D-Mart side is even worse.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture2.jpg

Red marker- accident site; Black marker - close divider; Green marker - Open divider
furyrider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 02:36   #40143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Biker riding with impunity on the wrong-side ends up hitting not 1 but 2 vehicles. Rider is definitely hurt, pillion seems to be limping. When will these idiots ever learn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
I stay near where this happened. I am not surprised at all. Something like this was bound to happen given the rampant wrong side driving in the area.

For those of you interested in some details, here is some background: This happened in Nallagandla, Hyderabad. The car entering the main road is exiting Himasai Lake View apartments. Just adjacent to the apartment complex is the upcoming Aparna mall.

Red marker- accident site; Black marker - close divider; Green marker - Open divider
I stay in Aparna Cyberlife, right adjacent to the building where this incident happened. While I have not witnessed the accident but I can confirm that people here drive on the opposite lane with utmost negligence. They have no fear of death.
I myself had few close calls like this and hence decided to honk mercilessly while driving out of the main gate of my society. And still people do not care at all.
Some of it is the civic body apathy where a mall is also upcoming and there are vendor trucks always parked outside these societies. And then people park their cars in the middle of the road to buy from these vendors.
I am just wondering what will happen once the mall is open for the public.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 11:24   #40144
BHPian

IIT Grad Riding a Superbike Dies In High Speed Crash In Gurugram, His Body Severed In Half:
Read on..

https://flip.it/bpfM2C
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_5756.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st April 2024 at 07:40. Reason: Minor edit.
virgopal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 14:13   #40145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
IIT Grad Riding a Superbike Dies
He left home at 6:00 am as per his flatmate. And dies at 6:10 am while doing 140 kmph as per the news report/cctv.

I understand the meaning of joy rides at early wee hours of the day. BUT, he was doing insane speeds within city boundaries just 10 minutes later. He should've given some time to adjust to the body's lethargy of the early morning. Should've given some time for the eyes to adjust to the color of dawn. Should've gotten a feel of the bike and surroundings. Should've given some time to the mechanicals of the bike to heat up just for the sake of mechanical sympathy. I believe, all these stands true for any rider of any sort of expertise in riding.

He was probably a novice and wasn't capable of handling a litre class in a proper way. Secondly, no mention of safety gear in the news, who knows what he was wearing.

Such a sad loss for a brilliant boy. /\

~NA.
Ride safe!

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st April 2024 at 07:40. Reason: Quoted post edited.
na_agrawal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 15:38   #40146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
He should've given some time to adjust to the body's lethargy of the early morning. Should've given some time for the eyes to adjust to the color of dawn. Should've gotten a feel of the bike and surroundings. Should've given some time to the mechanicals of the bike to heat up just for the sake of mechanical sympathy. I believe, all these stands true for any rider of any sort of expertise in riding.

He was probably a novice and wasn't capable of handling a litre class in a proper way. Secondly, no mention of safety gear in the news, who knows what he was wearing.
I disagree. Riding at 140 on public roads is illegal and dangerous for the rider as well as the other users of the road. I believe this particular road has speed limit of 50 KMPH only.

No matter your skillset, what time you ride at, no matter how awake you are, no matter your energy level, or your gear; you are bound to end up hurting/killing yourself or someone else sooner or later.
nicodash is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 15:53   #40147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodash View Post
Riding at 140 on public roads is illegal and dangerous for the rider as well as the other users of the road. I believe this particular road has speed limit of 50 KMPH only.
I never encouraged the idea of riding at 140 or more in my text above. However, the set of people who buy these superbikes are going to ride their machines at speeds even higher than this. It's a given. They're not taking this out of their garage to run errands. A few track it on tracks, rest all use such roads.

Sad situation but it's a reality.
na_agrawal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 12:04   #40148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
IIT Grad Riding a Superbike Dies In High Speed Crash In Gurugram, His Body Severed In Half:
A gory accident that severed the body of the 27 year old youth, an IIT Kanpur passout and also broke the Kawasaki Ninja bike into two pieces.

It's total callousness, overconfidence and miscalculation by the youth that caused this accident that was a great tragedy for all his near and dear ones. Youth and the appended adrenaline are always superb if put into usage for constructive activities. But not for such racetrack like reckless, overspeeding drives on our roads. The news commentator in the link below clearly says that the bike slipped on a curve that also had some obscure speedbreakers before crashing at that reported speed of 140 kmph according to other media sources.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st April 2024 at 07:40. Reason: Quoted post edited.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 12:29   #40149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
..says that the bike slipped on a curve that also had some obscure speedbreakers…
I think they’re referring to rumble strips. I myself have experienced momentary loss of control over the bike/car when there’s a rumble strip on a curve. I don’t understand the intention of and implementation by the road authorities.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 12:39   #40150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A gory accident that severed the body of the 27 year old youth, an IIT Kanpur passout and also broke the Kawasaki Ninja bike into two pieces.

It's total callousness, overconfidence and miscalculation by the youth that caused this accident that was a great tragedy for all his near and dear ones. Youth and the appended adrenaline are always superb if put into usage for constructive activities. But not for such racetrack like reckless, overspeeding drives on our roads. The news commentator in the link below clearly says that the bike slipped on a curve that also had some obscure speed breakers before crashing at that reported speed of 140 kmph according to other media sources.
My sympathies for his parents who have to live with this loss for the rest of their days. But I cannot muster up sympathy for the rider who lost his life due to unimaginable stupidity of his own. IQ and common sense don't necessarily go together.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 13:48   #40151
BHPian

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/9aEMrvTitAk?feature=shared

I have been riding/ driving over 45 years now, and still in one piece, thanks to common sense, following road rules, anticipation, courtesy & giving space to other road users and riding within my limits and capabilities.

It doesn't take much to be a little careful, understanding and riding within one's limits in the given road condition & situation to be safe.

Everyday, on the road, I see many reckless riders/drivers speeding way beyond the mandated speed limits, breaking rules with impunity (like no helmet, riding in no entry, breaking signals and much more).

A decade ago, there was always an argument against the big and powerful cars/bikes. People used to say " What's the point of owning these powerful car or bike? There's no proper road any way. All the roads are pot holed, badly maintained, no median strip, no well planned 6 /8 lanes etc"

Now, we have pretty good roads that are well laid, with median strip, side barriers and increased speed limit. The expectation is that the driver/rider would enjoy the better road infrastructure, ride/drive within the increased speed limits peacefully and arrive at destination safely. The reality is the opposite. The riders/drivers in present time have become more aggressive and reckless than they were a decade ago.

Let me give an example here. In Goa, before the present 6 lane road between Verna to Panaji (say about 20-25 kms) it was just a potholes 2 lane and drivers struggled to maintain 50 Kmph. It was impossible to drive at a higher speed because of the road passing through village, curvy & potholed road etc and commuters complained non stop about the pain they go through driving this stretch. Traffic block was a regular occurrence as Dabolim airport was nearby too.

Now, we have the new Zuari Cable stay bridge built and a 6 lane highway built and speed limit must be 80 or 100 kph. Time to travel has reduced from 1 hour to 15-20 minutes. But most drivers do excess of 120-140 kph regularly now. Some superbikes go excess of 150 kph. A small miss here or there and disaster strikes.

So, you have better infrastructure, but I believe our Indian mindset hasn't yet learnt to drive responsibly and within stipulated limits.

Anyways, call me insensitive, I have absolutely no sympathy for the deceased motorcycle rider as I have seen a lot of shenanigans from similar reckless riders. The point is, sooner or later, Karma catches up and everything has a price to pay. May be sooner or later, but they pay the price. Again some lucky dudes survive this phase.. Again put it on their Karma.
ashkamath is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 14:31   #40152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
My sympathies for his parents who have to live with this loss for the rest of their days. But I cannot muster up sympathy for the rider who lost his life due to unimaginable stupidity of his own. IQ and common sense don't necessarily go together.
My feelings exactly. The most cruel fate that can befall parents is to lose an offspring. All such parents will never quite recover from it and will carry the sorrow to their graves. In this case especially the manner of him going will haunt them for the rest of their lives. I can't imagine how a human body can be severed in half, whatever the impact, unless he was run over by something.

I half expect anytime to see in the headlines "bike involved in high speed crash, rider vapourized".
Gansan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 17:57   #40153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My feelings exactly. The most cruel fate that can befall parents is to lose an offspring. All such parents will never quite recover from it and will carry the sorrow to their graves. In this case especially the manner of him going will haunt them for the rest of their lives. I can't imagine how a human body can be severed in half, whatever the impact, unless he was run over by something.

I half expect anytime to see in the headlines "bike involved in high speed crash, rider vapourized".
Just yesterday, a father of a boy who was studying engineering at Galgotias came to me for his photograph and frame made as he passed away in a motorcycle crash few days back. The boy with his friend were on joy ride late at night and after crash both of then succumbed to their injuries. As usual, both of them were not wearing any helmets

The look of dread and distress in the face of a father who lost his young boy is still haunting me one day later. There is no bigger pain than a father who lost his young child.

Last edited by KarthikK : 31st March 2024 at 17:59. Reason: Minor typo correction
century is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 18:19   #40154
BHPian

Tragic accident on Meerut expressway today. Not sure if the Ertiga driver fell asleep or something else went wrong with him because it seems he did not make any attempt to avoid the collision with stationary truck.
abhishekjoshi84 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 19:04   #40155
BHPian

I have just started riding, although it is fun but you are so vulnerable out on the road. My buddy who got me into motorbikes made me buy full gear first. I was riddled by many as I spent decent amount on my gear for a first timer. I got my gear 2 months before I got my first bike delivered. Just yesterday I was at Chopra and a biker saw my bluarmour c30, asked me how sturdy the device it for highway riding, I said yes have used it at 110 kmph and no issues so far. He and his friends laughed it off saying we ride at 200+ kmph. The chap had a insta360 mounted on his helmet that obstructed his view! The more I meet folks on 2-wheelers, the more I see how most of them take it casually!

Ride safe!
sinharishi is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks