Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2024, 09:45   #40096
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I have seen people driving Creta at insane speeds as if they are the fastest cars in India. I am sure such drivers do overestimate their machine. Unfortunately this was one of them and had to pay the price!
Thanks for saying this out loud. I drive almost 80kms everyday for work on highway. Most rashly driven cars are Creta, Seltos, Baleno and Swifts. Innovas are faster than me, but not so rash.

VW, Skoda are much better driven whenever I spot them. I know people will counter saying, they are the highest selling companies, but I am sure the proportion is highest among these cars. (Atleast on Bangalore Nice road).

I work in logistics and I always insist on defensive driving, but most of these cars are faster as they throw these rules in the air. Tailgating, overtaking from shoulders, cutting against trucks. Sorry if this seems very biased, but it's my daily observation.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th March 2024 at 09:50. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Raghuwire is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 12:02   #40097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
All bicycles without bells and head/tail lamps will be stopped and fined by policemen after 6 p.m.
OT

I forgot to add something important. If the person didn't have the money for the fine, the policemen will deflate a tyre as a spot punishment!

The fines were very small by todays' standard - five rupees or so. But some people will not have it and the policeman will punish them. It was quite some amount those days. For reference, two or three people can have a decent meal in a medium range restaurant for that amount.

When the Janata party came to power, all licences for home radio,Tv,bicycles etc were abolished and the fines were also stopped. And Coca Cola/Pepsi were kicked out, to reappear only after two decades!
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 15:46   #40098
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
. Cyclists are safe only in a fenced off cyclists-only area.
With those intentions a secured cycling track was built near Hyderabad. Exclusive for cyclists with a solar panel roof, light and all. You know what cabs, unruly drivers, trucks keep crashing into it all the time. It’s now broken in many places and equally unsafe just like the open road. I say it’s more dangerous because the cyclist wouldn’t expect some heavy vehicle to crash in the track.

I think we are already over limit for the number of vehicles getting on roads. Our infra cannot handle this owing to poor traffic sense and habits of breaking rules.

India would be better off as public transport country. When that kind of public transport system gets built I will stop using my car for good.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th March 2024 at 09:49. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 12:49   #40099
BHPian

Quote:
^^ It is foolish, no, absolute madness to ride a bicycle on Indian roads. I encounter many bicycle riders on their way to work, negotiating through the peak hour traffic when I go to drop my wife at her office every morning. They are not the usual aam aadmi riders, their bicycles will be worth as much as motorbikes if not more.
An elitist mentality! The roads are meant for all including cyclists, two-wheelers, and pedestrians. If there are no cycle lanes or pedestrian paths, don't question them on their right to use the road, educate others on how to drive.
LoneRidder is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 14:24   #40100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavgpai View Post
On the way back from Mysore to Bangalore today, on the expressway, about at halfway there was a horrible accident.

A vehicle. I'm not even sure if it is a car or a motorcycle, probably jumped the median and fell through the gap in the median where the expressway is elevated. Ambulance and Police arrived up above and were wondering what to do.
It is a car, looks like i20. Here is the video of the car which fell. Quite scary and shocking to see.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4ksbMBPS68

Last edited by DetectiveMiles : 18th March 2024 at 14:26.
DetectiveMiles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 14:57   #40101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
An elitist mentality! The roads are meant for all including cyclists, two-wheelers, and pedestrians. If there are no cycle lanes or pedestrian paths, don't question them on their right to use the road, educate others on how to drive.
He didn't question the right to walk, ride or drive. He questioned the wisdom.

Education is fine thing. We have been talking about it on this forum since forever. This is about as much as we, collectively and individually, can do and we are doing it. It is not possible to educate others, strangers, out there on the road.

This is the best response I ever got, on pointing out, politely to a biker, that, never mind my car, he had just risked his life: "I know... You are right... but... I'm late."

Now I just keep quiet. And even use the horn 5% of what I used to.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th March 2024 at 16:18. Reason: edited
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 15:53   #40102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavgpai View Post
Had some sensitive passengers, so didn't stop + so many vehicles were stopped.
Wisest thing to do when such passengers especially kids and adolescents or patients are on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
It is a car, looks like i20. Here is the video of the car which fell.
I am quite sure that there would have been casualties from among the i20 occupants. If not, its providence and good news. The car's engine bay has hit the surface below (nose bashing) after a vertical dive and has got crushed and so has its front cabin beyond the "A" pillar.

It's surely a case of overspeeding and misjudgement. Our sense of freedom on wheels on today's expressways reaches a new high, with our new generation cars immediately responding to the driver's rush of adrenaline. Most of such driver's do not have perception of the very sudden surprises that pop up while overspeeding. And when these sudden surprises pop up, there are hardly a few seconds or much less for the driver to steer to safety with a safe and defensive response. Most of today's fatal accidents are when the super smooth expressways and the new generation cars pamper every driver to accelerate to 100 -150 or more kmph speeds.

The Expressway- New Generation car, entwined duo combo is life threatening which every driver using these for commuting needs to sense and adjudge to shun temptations of overspeeding and rash driving that risk our lives and also of other occupants.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th March 2024 at 15:56.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 17:24   #40103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
I didn't question their right. I want them to ponder their decision to cycle on the road in the absence of protection for them. It is mainly addressed at those who ride out on their 1-2 lac rupee bicycles, not the daily wage earner who doesn't have a choice. Even though he is at equal risk.

We can educate and educate till the cows come home. But who is listening? When a car or truck knocks down a cyclist, it is a moot point as to who was at fault. As the proverb goes, it is immaterial whether the silk saree fell on a thorn bush or the thorn fell on the silk saree. The risk will be to only one party.
Gansan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 06:56   #40104
BHPian

Quote:
^^ It is foolish, no, absolute madness to ride a bicycle on Indian roads. Nowadays it is becoming a fad among some people. I encounter many bicycle riders on their way to work, negotiating through the peak hour traffic when I go to drop my wife at her office every morning. They are not the usual aam aadmi riders, their bicycles will be worth as much as motorbikes if not more.
I know this place in Bangalore. There are many cooks and workers who use cycles to go from their place to the apartments to work. So these are not fad riders but riding out of necessity. Also, riding a two wheeler and bicycle both have almost the same risk in my opinion. I used to constantly ride from electronic City to Whitefield to my office. I used to hug the left most line, be careful of oncoming as well as traffic from behind. But whatever issues I face, is faced by bikes too.

Thanks!
Raghuwire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 08:23   #40105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
Also, riding a two wheeler and bicycle both have almost the same risk in my opinion.
More or less, but not quite. I agree a motorbike or scooter also faces risk, but we should remember they are still automobiles. They have the power to keep up with the city traffic and also to get out of tight situations.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 11:51   #40106
BHPian

Another instance of raging bulls mowing down a hapless biker.

IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 12:36   #40107
BHPian

How about this one?

2 college going lads (without a valid DL, in all probability), joy-riding at high speed on a busy intersection, without worrying to even slow-down while approaching the junction.
Result = a lucky escape which otherwise could have been far worse, had it been a heavy vehicle instead of that auto.

For a change, I did find the auto-driver to take a cautious (yet, wide!) turn at a very slow speed, which did minimize the collision impact to some extent.

When, when will the bikers learn to ride responsibly?

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th March 2024 at 03:32. Reason: Typo ("college").
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 18:25   #40108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Look how powerful is the impact of that boys head onto the road! For such a low speed contact if the head impact is so high, can imagine the brunt during high speed collisions.

Helmets, such an important and unavoidable instrument. Hope people understands the importance.

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th March 2024 at 03:33. Reason: Typo.
sarathlal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 20:52   #40109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
a lucky escape
I doubt it was a lucky escape. Note how hard the pillion rider's head impacts the road. That is why a good quality full face helmet is a must while riding. Hope that fellow went straight for a CT scan and was found alright.

They look more like school students to me.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 21:23   #40110
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks to me like the bikers have the right of way there?

But whatever, it also looks like it's not that the auto pulled out straight in front of them. Having the right of way (if they did) doesn't mean hitting someone who doesn't allow it. Especially if on a bike: they are going to get hurt the most.

Plainly, there is a stream of traffic emerging from that side road. I'd slow down approaching it.

In my "driving yoga" (how to stay as safe as possible and as calm as possible), this is one of my tenets: it doesn't matter that somebody should not be where they are, they are there. And I have to deal with it.

So right of way is always moot. And it's vital to look. And having looked, respond.

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th March 2024 at 03:33.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks