Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2024, 02:56   #40111
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Yes, the bikers had the right of way, but they were also riding in the middle of the road at quite higher speed for that type of road and did not slow down at the junction.

No lane markings on the road, no major/minor road signs, lack of driving sense and knowledge, my safety is your responsibility attitude - all sounds like a recipe for disaster, yet the bikers were lucky to be walking alright after the crash.
djay99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 09:38   #40112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It looks to me like the bikers have the right of way there?
It looks like the kids on the bikes expected the auto to clear the road but completely misjudged the speed at which it was moving and never even tried to brake.
asmr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 09:53   #40113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
It looks like the kids on the bikes expected the auto to clear the road but completely misjudged the speed at which it was moving and never even tried to brake.
I doubt the kids did even press the brakes on seeing the auto in the middle of their path.

We do not see the bike slowing down a bit, let alone hard-braking upon seeing the auto.

I'm sure, the kids did see from afar, the auto attempting a turn, yet they most likely kept riding at the same speed (evident from the way the collision happened).

Lack of proper driving knowledge + absence of defensive driving on a narrow road + absence of proper road markings, all contributed to the collision.

But hey, that's the way 99.9% of Indians drive/ride

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th March 2024 at 09:54. Reason: Minor spacing for readability
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 10:15   #40114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Lack of proper driving knowledge + absence of defensive driving on a narrow road + absence of proper road markings
+ absence of common sense + (ir)responsible parents overlooking such activities from their kids and letting them take the bike.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 10:34   #40115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
An elitist mentality! The roads are meant for all including cyclists, two-wheelers, and pedestrians. If there are no cycle lanes or pedestrian paths, don't question them on their right to use the road, educate others on how to drive.
True that. Recently got a eMotorad Doodle bike with it's proper Multi purpose usage and pedal assist features. Was looking forward to a Joyous ride to office. But shocked to see many road users absolutely disregard the cycle and forcing me to go off the road at many places. Even if you are on the left shoulder with no place to yield they just honk and overtake dangerously as if the road is meant only for faster vehicles. The Autos and other share vehicles stop abruptly and you have no option but go towards the right and get more honks and angry stares. I don't think I will be taking it to the office anytime soon at this rate. Unfortunately the Doodle bike has now become an exercise machine to be used on sparse roads at non peak hours
venbas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 01:07   #40116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyWanderer View Post
I faced some issues today while driving

https://Youtu.be/Bvj35C1ilUs?si=HF0_RuchVmRsXj87
  • Biker not indicating his left move but continuing to move diagonally, which is a Bengaluru specialty of late across all classes of vehicles
  • Car not slowing down/not driving defensively/ not letting the trouble (bike) pass when it's apparent that the biker doesn't seem attentive. Sorry to ask, but did you try to go one up on him for his careless riding? (I'm not saying you did, but just asking )
  • Biker plugged into earphones - I don't know why this became a cult across riders and drivers - plug into earphones as if it's an important call all the time. Why the heck do people not realize that 'sounds' are as important an input to driving and road safety as much as 'sights' are? Almost always, the first thing riders/drivers do these days after an accident is to remove the earphones : which means that they are not 'tuned in'.

Bikers, of late, seem to be frequently on a suicide mission. Many of them should name their bikes "Luck" as they definitely are riding it. Mobile phones + ear phones + talking to machas when riding + No Mirror + No Helmet + No indicators = 'Aa Bail Mujhe Maar'. Thanks to Bengaluru's sloth-paced traffic, these incidents end up as minor skirmishes like these; in cities with more free-flowing traffic and higher average speed, these will be fatal.

Last edited by airguitar : 21st March 2024 at 01:11.
airguitar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 13:10   #40117
BHPian

In the Thoppur accident, the White car was at fault here, in a way. But if all the truckers were to be on the outside lane (the slower lane), this accident might not have occurred at all. Truckers with their own stupid lane in discipline cause a lot of hardship for cars in the inner fast lane. In fact, we need a third lane for Two Wheelers but, i digress. I shall put the fault here on the truckers themselves.

Last edited by boohooper : 21st March 2024 at 13:12.
Old 21st March 2024, 16:40   #40118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
[list]
[*]Car not slowing down/not driving defensively/ not letting the trouble (bike) pass when it's apparent that the biker doesn't seem attentive. Sorry to ask, but did you try to go one up on him for his careless riding? (I'm not saying you did, but just asking )

When I realized that he was not going to merge into my lane, I tried to overtake him, and that was the reason I was closely following him in the first place to look for a chance to overtake him. Not a very good decision, I guess, but bumper-to-bumper traffic makes you impatient a bit.

Last edited by DustyWanderer : 21st March 2024 at 16:40. Reason: To improve the answer
DustyWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 20:04   #40119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyWanderer View Post
When I realized that he was not going to merge into my lane, I tried to overtake him, and that was the reason I was closely following him in the first place to look for a chance to overtake him. Not a very good decision, I guess, but bumper-to-bumper traffic makes you impatient a bit.
Not that much your fault TBH as it was his, given he was cutting across. Some of these guys need to own their safety themselves too. These guys are generally only saved by the defensive driving we all do.

When I'm driving my thar, when people do this, I'm always annoyed and concerned about their stupidity as the vehicle won't brake on a dime like a smaller hatch for example.
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 13:48   #40120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
This is possible on multi lane highways, where two vehicles from outer lanes merge into center lane into each other's blind spot.
The overlapping region is the blindspot of both and there's a risk of side swipe crash.
To avoid this, we need to look at all lanes before changing lanes on multi lane highways.

Attachment 2581231

I had posted a video about this :

https://Youtu.be/kIbj93X1rS8
Let me address the elephant in the room here. That Truck is lumbering in the fast lane necessitating this weaving about by the faster cars. I do not understand why that truck cannot stay in its designated lane that is.... the slower Outer lane.
Old 22nd March 2024, 16:09   #40121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
That Truck is lumbering in the fast lane
Our highways in their current design force the truck drivers to always drive on fast lane.
Slow moving autos,tractors,wrong side vehicles,bikes,pedestrians on left lane slow down truck drivers and its not always easy to swerve a heavy loaded vehicle to avoid hitting them.

Do not forget people joining the main carriageway from numerous side roads that join our highways.

Until we make our highways access controlled and not passing through habitable areas, its very difficult to enforce lane discipline in truck drivers.I never had problem with understanding the intentions of these truck drivers as they're more disciplined than car drivers on highways.

chaitanyakrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 18:04   #40122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
A minor accident took place while my wife was returning home alone. A truck in front rolled back from a speed breaker, took out the left headlight assembly and left a deep scratch on bonnet.
Sorry to hear about this incident with your car. To be fair, your car was way too close to the truck. A safe distance must be kept by the tailing vehicle.

If I were in the truck driver or truck owners place, I'd politely ask you to claim insurance or pay it out of pocket. However, if he has agreed to bear the cost, then lucky you!
sudeepg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 00:01   #40123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Result = a lucky escape which otherwise could have been far worse, had it been a heavy vehicle instead of that auto.
They are really lucky. After seeing the impact of the pillion rider on the road, I guess he started to bleed from his nose. The way he continuously wiped his nose and face throughout the incident shows the importance of wearing a helmet.
Old 23rd March 2024, 01:44   #40124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Our highways in their current design force the truck drivers to always drive on fast lane.
Slow moving autos,tractors,wrong side vehicles,bikes,pedestrians on left lane slow down truck drivers and its not always easy to swerve a heavy loaded vehicle to avoid hitting them.
https://Youtu.be/eORWkE6blfg

Sorry but you only need to get on expressways like samruddhi mahamarg to change your opinion. The road is wide open and yet you will see 20% of the trucks running on middle lane and about 5% running on the fast lane. Some dont even move if you flash and honk. Having said that, compared to last year, this week when I was on this highway, I saw some trucks moving into the slow lane after I crossed them while flashing. Maybe they had not realized and had continued on the middle lane. It could also be that they are being educated/warned by the cops because I saw some of them move promptly. But a lot others did not care at all. There is no one else on this road for miles, there are no two wheelers or autos, there are no turns, there are no shops or pumps, so there is no reason to move to middle or fast lane, but they still use the middle and fast lane.

One other thing I noted this time is that some people have broken some barriers on the side and opened shops (the barriers open up a path to the shop) and some even stand across barriers and sell grapes etc. So trucks now halt at these points and create these obstructions on the slow lane.

So I guess soon enough this expressway will also get converted into a standard highway with encroachments and indisciplined traffic.
Zippy_wheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 15:59   #40125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_wheels View Post

So I guess soon enough this expressway will also get converted into a standard highway with encroachments and indisciplined traffic.
Old habits die hard.
This is where a little bit of enforcement will put things in order and its easy to enforce on expressways unlike old highways.
And truck drivers cannot say no as well as they don't have the problems of old highways on expressways.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks