Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 13:59   #5026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well, I think no one will be able to judge if you're falling into someone else's blind spot
If you can't see the guy in his wing mirror you are in his blindspot --- or too far away for it to matter!

With vehicles like trucks, with no internal RVM, if you can't see the driver's external RVM (too close) then there is no chance at all that he can see you.
Old 5th March 2010, 15:11   #5027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
One state where i see too many rash drivers is Kerala. I am a Malayali, family stays at TVM and i keep travelling from Bangalore to TVM frequently. I generally take the route from TVM -> Nagercoil ->Madurai -> Bangalore. But some times follow the palakkad route and that gives me a dreaded driving experience. Most dangerous are the small car drivers who push their cars more than what it can do. Comes on the wrong side and put their headlights on as if its my duty to always give way. They try to overtake on blind spots, squeeze in wherever possible and cause more confusion. Kind of arrogance and then the attitude that "I dont care a bit". The police guys are good for taking bribe and does not even care. Kerala is a state with maximum literacy but people just drive rash. And they are indifferent most of the cases.
I fully agree. For this reason, I have not yet ventured to drive a vehicle when in Kerala though I have been driving a car for the last 9 years. Also my desire to drive down to Kerala my native state remains a dream.
Old 5th March 2010, 15:33   #5028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
While in Kerala, mallus seem to highly aware of their 'rights' (avakaasam).
They are aware of their 'lefts' too.That's why they keep alternating between right and left to rule the state.
Old 5th March 2010, 16:17   #5029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i mean, i feel naked (not in a good way) without a seat belt in a car and a helmet on a bike and i wonder how people skip this important safety points!
Same here, I feel exactly like sitting on a roller coaster and not engaging the safety belt. There was this guy i saw who wore a cricketer's helmet without the front grill and no strap

Last edited by akshay_b : 5th March 2010 at 16:26.
Old 5th March 2010, 18:14   #5030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

this evening on the Ayyappa Temple road, a Dio with two youngsters whizzed past between my Getz and another IndiCab, missing both the car by inches - both of them without helmets. had i been little more to the right, both the rider and the pillion would have ended up on my windshield!

crazy nut jobs!

Something similar happened with my dad while he was driving our M800 towards Chittur, Palakkad. A man in a Splendor was riding in the opposite direction and at a very high speed. My dad was doing something like 50-60kmph (Not a highway, so that's it), on the correct side, leaving enough room for another car to pass on the other side. This guy whizzed past, missed the ORVM by millimeters (or even less) and then my dad saw him (in the IRVM) lose balance and crash onto the bushes on the roadside. My dad stopped the car pronto, to see if something had happened. A crowd gathered, and my dad had to take the lesser mortal to the hospital, pay for the treatment (nothing serious though - a few bruises, because the bush had cushioned his fall). The next day, he rang up my dad and wanted compensation for the repairs of his bike. Our instinct was to tell him impolitely that it's impossible to pay for something that's not our fault. But later, on consulting with some lawyers (he threatened to file a police case), we decided to settle it without resorting to make a legal issue. The reason, he had two wheels less than us, so the police and the law would be lenient. End result was, my dad had to shell out two thousand bucks to stuff his mouth.

Lesson learnt: Don't bother to stop your vehicle if you're cent-percent sure that it's not your fault. You will end up in trouble otherwise.
Old 5th March 2010, 18:23   #5031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Yesterday morning, I drove a bit rashly (in city) at some places in my Indica...

Yesterday night, saw the video clippings in the thread !

Today, when driving to office kept them in mind and drove carefully with a cool mind..

Difference noticed - There is hardly 5-10 mins difference in reaching the destination when you drive carefully (following all rules) with cool mind..Every one on the road appeared to be my friends !

Thanks to Team-BHP ......
This is the message that should be driven to the minds of every rash driver. Happy to know that one person changed his habits, thanks to tbhp. No offenses meant to you.

The reasons mentioned here about Kerala, is stopping me from going back to Kerala, as this careless attitude is seen not just on the roads but just about everywhere else. Sad state of affairs. 100% literacy, literate of what? hard to digest.

I feel we as a responsible community should do much more than this thread on the traffic awareness part. We should try to instill the dangers of rash driving to the masses. Whether the masses accept it and change their habits is up to them, but we should atleast try. Mods, anything that we can do as a community to atleast better the driving situation, given the current infrastructures, will be greatly appreciated.
Old 5th March 2010, 19:02   #5032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Same here, I feel exactly like sitting on a roller coaster and not engaging the safety belt. There was this guy i saw who wore a cricketer's helmet without the front grill and no strap
+1 to you.
The problem with many here is they don't realize how 'engaging' you become with the car, when you wear seat-belts.
Recently, I calmly explained to one of my company's young driver the feeling of being 'with the car' when he wore seat belt and the feeling of 'in the car' without the seat belt. Within few days, he came to me and said 'Saar, you are correct saar, I feel confident with my driving when I wear seat belt saar, it is like car is attached to me saar, this is very good saar, I will always wear seat-belt saar.'
Above all he said 'I feel like a better driver with belts saar'.
That's the point people miss here. They think 'people wearing safety belts within the city are either new drivers or afraid of traffic'.
Old 5th March 2010, 19:28   #5033
BHPian

hey guys saw this accidental truck it's front suspension broke...
this is the best picture i could get as the truck was on the opposite side of the road and i din't have a camera with a flash sorry....but still thought of sharing it....
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00350201003051856.jpg  

Old 5th March 2010, 21:34   #5034
BHPian

hi torque.steer this picture has already been posted on the previous page by maglev
Old 5th March 2010, 21:45   #5035
BHPian

Some Old figures

Given below are some statistics from the website of The Department of Road Transport and Highway, Government of India:

These are just statistics and may not affect us as much as they should. But if we see a sight like the one below,

or this,
Old 5th March 2010, 21:49   #5036
BHPian

Last edited by Dippy : 8th March 2010 at 09:28. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 5th March 2010, 22:38   #5037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
+1 to you.
The problem with many here is they don't realize how 'engaging' you become with the car, when you wear seat-belts.
Recently, I calmly explained to one of my company's young driver the feeling of being 'with the car' when he wore seat belt and the feeling of 'in the car' without the seat belt. Within few days, he came to me and said 'Saar, you are correct saar, I feel confident with my driving when I wear seat belt saar, it is like car is attached to me saar, this is very good saar, I will always wear seat-belt saar.'
Above all he said 'I feel like a better driver with belts saar'.
That's the point people miss here. They think 'people wearing safety belts within the city are either new drivers or afraid of traffic'.
Its nice to hear bhpians embed something useful in peoples' head, I told my friend that airbags wont deploy(only in some cases) if people dont buckle up, and he buckles up everytime, He even told his dad, His dad listened to him tooFeel proud
Old 6th March 2010, 00:18   #5038
BHPian

[quote=shishir_bn;1765930][quote=maglev;1765739]Saw this on the ''Mahipal Pur ~ Masood Pur road', Vasant Kunj, New Delhi, about an hour ago.
Quote:
By the way where are the front tyres/axle of the truck. Has it been towed off or smashed or went to junk yard or has it been parked somewhere
The front tires/axle was nowhere in sight, I really have no idea as to where it was. Also since it was late in the night I did not stop my car.
Old 6th March 2010, 16:29   #5039
BHPian

Cause of a major traffic block in the city today

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-lorry.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-lorry1.jpg

This divider is a usual accident spot where a narrow bridge leads to a spacious road but with a divider having no signs and limited space on left side.

I have seen numerous qualis',scorpios ambassdors and KSRTC buses resting on the divider like this on various occations.Still no action from governing bodies

This lorry is latest casualty.the lorry crashed into the divider early morning,travelled some distance on divider itself.

Last edited by crazybiker46 : 6th March 2010 at 16:30.
Old 6th March 2010, 16:46   #5040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
This divider is a usual accident spot where a narrow bridge leads to a spacious road but with a divider having no signs and limited space on left side.
Is this near Chackah on the bypass road?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks