Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2013, 13:29   #13201
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Traffic on NH4 was diverted over the weekend between Pune & Satara. Any idea why this happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
NICE Road again(near electronic city toll). Saw this accident yesterday around 4:00 PM. A scorpio went off the road and hit the pillar of the over bridge. Not sure how he managed to do this on a straight road.
I hope no casualties. Seems like an overtaking manouver gone wrong. Or maybe he was trying to take a right according to GPS instructions?
Old 13th May 2013, 17:01   #13202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I hope no casualties. Seems like an overtaking manouver gone wrong. Or maybe he was trying to take a right according to GPS instructions?
No causalities. Its a straight road with no right/left at this spot. Also, I couldn't see any other vehicle involved in this accident. It looked like he went off the road on the right side, lost control and then came to the left and hit the pillar.
Old 14th May 2013, 18:00   #13203
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this accident last Saturday near Kayankulam (KL). Though could not really figure out the sequence of events, especially how the blue Alto came being perpendicular to traffic.

1) Alto blocking one full lane, with people all agitated.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130504-11.15.35.jpg

2) Looks like the front-left of the Alto is hit, but the white car (i20?) does not seem to have any damage.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130504-11.15.46.jpg

BTW, in any other state, this narrow road of 2 lanes (one each way) and a bike lane at each side would at best qualify as a small-town road.
But this is the "National Highway" in Kerala. Beat that.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 14th May 2013 at 18:18.
Old 14th May 2013, 18:20   #13204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, in any other state, this narrow road of 2 lanes (one each way) and a bike lane at each side would at best qualify as a small town road.
But this is the National Highway in Kerala. Beat that.
As far as I know, outside of NHDP Phase I & II (and a little bit of phase III, let us say about 15,000 km), India's national highways (totalling about 71,000 km) are all two-lane, single carriageway roads at best. So this road is rather the norm than the exception.
Old 14th May 2013, 18:22   #13205
Senior - BHPian

Two accidents in Kerala yesterday involving cars and both were head on collisions and five lives were lost in these accidents.
Old 14th May 2013, 18:26   #13206
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
But on my return, I was in for some really horrible sight. On the nice road, between the Mysore road exit and PESIT exit, going towards Mysore side, was a bike (a blue TVS Victor, IIRC) fallen in the middle of the road and lots of people gathered around. There was a body, lying by the side of the road and covered with blood. In all probability, it was the guy on the bike and he was not moving. Horrible sight. Couldn't see a helmet also. I don't know whether any other vehicle was involved. This happened on the newly concreted section.
What was bike doing on NICE road? Are they allowed?

--R
Old 14th May 2013, 18:40   #13207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
What was bike doing on NICE road? Are they allowed?
Yes!!! The bikes also pay the toll, so they are allowed. It will be very much unfair to bikes if they still need to come via the arterial roads of the city to reach from one end to other, even though NICE connects them.
Old 14th May 2013, 18:40   #13208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
As far as I know, outside of NHDP Phase I & II (and a little bit of phase III, let us say about 15,000 km), India's national highways (totalling about 71,000 km) are all two-lane, single carriageway roads at best. So this road is rather the norm than the exception.
Are you sure about that ? I drive quite a bit on TN highways, but don't think any are like this. Don't know about other states, but assumed that they would have progressed long ago to wider roads. Infact this stretch of NH47 is like this only from Trivandrum to Cherthala. From Cherthala onwards as you go North, the NH gets wider with 2 lanes each way.
Old 14th May 2013, 18:40   #13209
BHPian

Saw two accidents in Chennai last week.

May 11, 13 - Near Vandalur Zoo - A man was hit by a truck, body lying face down between front wheels of a tipper. It was a bloody sight with blood forming a pool nearby (first thought truck's oil sump broke!). RIP the deceased!

May 13, 13 - Near Perungalathur - A while Amby on the median, a suspected truck on left. (hopefully no casulaties).

Both towards Chennai, both in mornings and just ahead of sick traffic jam!.
Old 14th May 2013, 19:24   #13210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure about that ? I drive quite a bit on TN highways, but don't think any are like this. Don't know about other states, but assumed that they would have progressed long ago to wider roads. Infact this stretch of NH47 is like this only from Trivandrum to Cherthala. From Cherthala onwards as you go North, the NH gets wider with 2 lanes each way.
A lot of TN roads were covered under NHDP I & II. Chennai to Hosur and KA border, Krishnagiri to Coimbatore and KL border, Salem to Kanyakumari and Chennai to AP border. Plus TR Baalu was the minister at MoRTH for the whole of UPA-1, and he did some good things for the state (4-laning of GST road, the fabulous ECR etc.).

Also, NH47 from Walayar to Kochi is covered under NHDP II, but not the stretch beyond.
Old 15th May 2013, 11:07   #13211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Plus TR Baalu was the minister at MoRTH for the whole of UPA-1, and he did some good things for the state (4-laning of GST road, the fabulous ECR etc.).
If you are talking of GST Road from Chennai, a part of the road from Chennai till Vikravandi was made four lane way back in 1990-91. The ECR tolled road is still part of TN State Highway and is maintained by TNRDC.
Old 15th May 2013, 14:05   #13212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
...GST Road from Chennai, a part of the road from Chennai till Vikravandi was made four lane way back in 1990-91. ...
It was four-lane with median only upto Mamandur (near Chengalput) (Pepsi plant). But there were wide roads (wider than regular 2-lane roads), without median, upto Villupuram.
Old 15th May 2013, 14:22   #13213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
It was four-lane with median only upto Mamandur (near Chengalput) (Pepsi plant). But there were wide roads (wider than regular 2-lane roads), without median, upto Villupuram.
I stand corrected. Yes there was four lane only till Mamandur when the road forks and joins back just after the TNSTC bus stand. After that it was 3 lanes with middle unofficial lane being used as chicken lane.
Old 16th May 2013, 01:47   #13214
BHPian

On Sunday i saw this on Bangalore-Tumkur NH4 stretch. The truck had failed to stop in time and had rear ended a vehicle (which was not at the place).

There was a crane which had pushed this truck on to the divider and had made way for other vehicles to pass. But there was so much free space on the right side of this picture (enough to park 5-6 lorries) and the crane could have moved the truck to that empty space. Instead that guy chose this method and pushed the truck all the way to the median and caused damage to some of those beautiful plants. It reminds me of one recent statement made by a well known Indian who said 90% of the Indians are fools

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1_dsc_0004.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1_dsc_0002.jpg
n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 02:07   #13215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2) Looks like the front-left of the Alto is hit, but the white car (i20?) does not seem to have any damage.
But is that a Mopar 512 sticker on the i20?? Imagine that! Seeing Mopar love in Kerala!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks