Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 15:38   #15571
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The roads of today are not well maintained to warrant such high speeds. At an age when even a WagonR can do triple digit speeds, we still have people, tractors, dogs and cows appearing out of nowhere. Even if the initial impact is somehow avoided by swerving, how can a WagonR get any semblance of control after that.

*WagonR is used as just an example. Please forgive me if someone is offended.
Old 12th June 2014, 16:16   #15572
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS (Audi Accident Claims Two Lives)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
An Audi A6 crashed into a pole at Britannia Chowk in Delhi claiming two lives.

It must have taken a very high speed crash to reduce a safe and structurally sound Audi A6 to this state.
Really sad! This just goes to prove that it does not matter which car you drive, speed is always the killer.
These cars are built strong but if you are driving too fast, nothing can save you!

Last edited by bigben : 12th June 2014 at 16:22. Reason: na
Old 12th June 2014, 16:26   #15573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
The roads of today are not well maintained to warrant such high speeds. At an age when even a WagonR can do triple digit speeds, we still have people, tractors, dogs and cows appearing out of nowhere. Even if the initial impact is somehow avoided by swerving, how can a WagonR get any semblance of control after that.

*WagonR is used as just an example. Please forgive me if someone is offended.
I tried merging this with my other one but could not.
Bharat totally agree with you. I remember this incident -
Driving on the ORR here in Hyderabad one night. There are no traffic lights on the ORR and the lights from the opposite side of the road can blind you. Luckily I was driving at a sedate pace. Suddenly , in the middle of the road I saw a herd of Buffalo !
If I was going too fast I would'nt have been writing this post today!!

Last edited by bigben : 12th June 2014 at 16:28.
Old 12th June 2014, 16:27   #15574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Do drivers of these cars not know how to use the technology, do they instinctively freeze up? What exactly occurs?
Goes to show no matter how many driver aids you add to the car, you can't replace the nut behind the wheel.

These aids will only help to a certain extent to regain loss of control due to unforeseen circumstances or even driver error, but in no way they make any car accident free. Just because one's car has ESP + TCS + ABS + EBA + Blah + blah .... one can't assume that he'll be safe if he takes that corner a little faster than normal by braking later than his favourite F1 driver. This thread is a an eye opener for those who think otherwise.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 17:00   #15575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Goes to show no matter how many driver aids you add to the car, you can't replace the nut behind the wheel.

These aids will only help to a certain extent to regain loss of control due to unforeseen circumstances or even driver error, but in no way they make any car accident free. Just because one's car has ESP + TCS + ABS + EBA + Blah + blah .... one can't assume that he'll be safe if he takes that corner a little faster than normal by braking later than his favourite F1 driver. This thread is a an eye opener for those who think otherwise.
I totally understand. I always tell folks to belt up and pray cause no amount of safety features will ensure your safety at all times. However, my question was focused toward ESP alone; I see several instances where cars "loose control" when there is ample road space and time to react and with the aid of ESP, escape a potentially fatal situation. Do these men actually not know how to make use of the technology or do they freeze up or is there some other explanation as to why the percentage of cars in India equipped with ESP, that loose control and crash, is not as low as it should be in comparison to cars equipped without ESP?
Old 12th June 2014, 17:29   #15576
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Do these men actually not know how to make use of the technology or do they freeze up or is there some other explanation as to why the percentage of cars in India equipped with ESP, that loose control and crash, is not as low as it should be in comparison to cars equipped without ESP?
I don't think ESP can make up for bad driving habits. The percentage of ESP equipped cars are bare minimum in India. Also I think the accident percentage would be minimum as well, but probably makes into news because of the brand name.
Old 12th June 2014, 17:46   #15577
BHPian

Well these Esp-VSP are things of later, if basic things like tyre is not fit in the car, that can turn the things into much bad state. See how a tyre burst can result into such accident : http://www.bhaskar.com/article-hf/MP...PHO.html?seq=1

Here a Ritz got collided into an oncoming Zen after tyre burst, the Zen got divided into multiple parts without any fault of it.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-7800_11.jpg

Last edited by tbppjpr : 12th June 2014 at 17:48.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 18:08   #15578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Here a Ritz got collided into an oncoming Zen after tyre burst, the Zen got divided into multiple parts without any fault of it.

Attachment 1249414
That's real bad. The Zen is ripped apart! Is the Zen build quality so bad, that it disintegrates into pieces! Does it mean that the Ritz was way too fast than the required speed limit?!
Old 12th June 2014, 19:07   #15579
BHPian

Quote:
Ohhh , look at that Zen. It reminds me of that Ford Ikon cut in half (see starting posts of this thread). Ritz looks quite strong but didn't know it is really strong. I can see driver side door damaged so assuming that driver might have escaped with minor injuries. But did the passengers survive?

I feel so sad for Zen. Have good memories with this model because my ex-colleague and me have driven his Zen so many times in Navi Mumbai during office hours . That time I didn't own a car.
Old 12th June 2014, 19:59   #15580
BHPian

Quote:
Well these Esp-VSP are things of later, if basic things like tyre is not fit in the car, that can turn the things into much bad state. See how a tyre burst can result into such accident : http://www.bhaskar.com/article-hf/MP...PHO.html?seq=1
You can visit the link mentioned in the above post to view more snaps of the accident. Really scary!!

On a lighter note when I visited the link, my chrome browser prompted me to translate the page which I clicked on. This is what I got-

Sanver Road horrific road accident happened Wednesday evening. Coming from Ujjain to Indore next to the Ritz car tire exploded. Dividers jumped from the car and going to Ujjain from Indore Maruti Zen clashed go. Jane takes only two pieces of percussion and ramming car toppled the Ritz entered into eating the farm.

Riding in a car crash Jane's nephew decided grocer living in Malviya Nagar Jain and Anil Pal Gaderakedi the bike rider was killed. Six people were injured. Four of them seriously.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 20:28   #15581
Senior - BHPian

We have seen different cars in this very thread ended up being split in two.

It does not mean that particular car is built bad . A lot depends on how the accident happened. A lot of variables like speed, angle that it was hit, were it ricocheted to, etc are involved.

The other point that comes to mind after seeing the pictures is that, this particular Zen could have been an accident vehicle earlier and would have been put back together and happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 00:04   #15582

Re: Accidents in India - PICS (Audi Accident Claims Two Lives)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I saw a report in The Hindu which suggested DUI at speeds exceeding 100 kmph.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6106460.ece

I wonder how witnesses report speeds "in excess of 100 kmph". Its impossible to gauge the speed of any vehicle just by looking at it but I see almost all newspapers reporting on an accident quoting some random number. If the accident looks horrid, it has to be in excess of 100 kmph!!
Old 13th June 2014, 11:37   #15583
BHPian

Yet another accident between 2 trucks @ Nantoor circle this morning. Saw this on my way back from Moodbidri.

About 2 weeks earlier 2 trucks had collided at the exact spot - See post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3428221.

It's high time authorities take action and think about constructing a flyover at this very busy junction.

More details here: http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=241479
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nant_1306141.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nant_1306142.jpg  

Last edited by Mahesh Prasad : 13th June 2014 at 11:38. Reason: Adding Source Link.
Old 13th June 2014, 11:58   #15584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
Yet another accident between 2 trucks @ Nantoor circle this morning. Saw this on my way back from Moodbidri.

About 2 weeks earlier 2 trucks had collided at the exact spot - See post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3428221.

It's high time authorities take action and think about constructing a flyover at this very busy junction.

More details here: http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=241479
May be having speed breakers at this junction will help.
Old 13th June 2014, 12:00   #15585
BHPian

Just witnessed a 4 car pile-up on the AJC Bose Road flyover (Calcutta). A Qualis failed to notice that the traffic had stopped and ended up ploughing into 3 Ambassador cabs at about 40-50 km/hr. It was totally the Qualis driver's fault as he didnt start braking until it was too late.

It was quite a sobering moment as I had never witnessed an accident from such close proximity. I heard a loud screeching sound (Qualis brakes locking up) about 3-4 seconds before the impact. The sound of the cruching metal made my hair stand on end! The Qualis hit the first cab right next to my car, which had a domino effect and went on to hit 2 more cabs in the lane. Had he been in the right hand side lane, he would have hit my Corolla.

The guy in white was driving the Qualis. The cab drivers all came out holding their necks (whiplash??). Luckily there didnt seem to be any major injury despite the fact that all the cabs had passengers and the Qualis had about 8 people on board.

The Qualis and the first cab sustained the worst damage, while the two cabs further up the line got away with broken bumpers, lights, etc.

God knows when will people in our country understand the importance of paying attention while at the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image.jpg  

Last edited by fordfreak : 13th June 2014 at 12:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks