Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 15:02   #23986
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
As it was drizzling a little, the owner with his wet chappals, tried depressing the accelerator and in the process got his foot stuck between the clutch and the accelerator pedals.
As you have mentioned clutch, I believe it was a manual transmission car. Then, how can his foot get stuck between the clutch and the accelerator pedals? Shouldn't it be either between accelerator and brake or brake and clutch?
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 15:37   #23987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
As you have mentioned clutch, I believe it was a manual transmission car. Then, how can his foot get stuck between the clutch and the accelerator pedals? Shouldn't it be either between accelerator and brake or brake and clutch?
Yes, you are right. It got stuck between the accelerator and the brake pedals.
Old 5th July 2017, 16:00   #23988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I read that the car was doing 170 kmph.

As a ciaz owner, i know how unstable the car can be at that speed.
170kmph That's insane speed for a two lane indian road. Even a benz or volvo will not manage to handle a crash at this speed.

I generally try to stay within 110 considering how quickly things can go wrong at higher speeds. I rarely go above 120 and car seemed to be stable at those speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Even in manual it's not possible. There is a brake pedal between clutch & acc . I guess these are just excuses to not hurt the ego.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th July 2017 at 14:56. Reason: As per your note to mods...
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 19:23   #23989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Have you tried speeds of that range in Ciaz? I rarely go above 120 and car seemed to be stable at those speeds. (Mods: If it's not allowed to post such speeds, please remove last two sentences).
Yes, I have done speed runs when I was lucky enough to have traffic-free 2 km flat straight stretches on NH45. But that is a very rare occurence though.

Ciaz is totally stable at 120 kmph, even nvh is impressive. Only beyond high triple digit speeds it loses composure. I mean you can feel the nervousness of the chassis in your hands.

My diesel first gen swift, for comparison, felt rock solid at those speeds(though ciaz is capable of higher speeds).
Old 5th July 2017, 22:40   #23990
BHPian

Somebody was (allegedly) doing 170 kmph on a 2 lane public road. That's stupidity. Period. Be glad that he didn't kill anybody outside the vehicle. Instead we're discussing how Ciaz is unstable at 170 kmph. I guess if nobody had died, we would be discussing how safe Ciaz is totally ignoring the fact that the moron was doing 170kmph. :(
Torqy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 00:38   #23991
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Somebody was (allegedly) doing 170 kmph on a 2 lane public road. That's stupidity. Period. Be glad that he didn't kill anybody outside the vehicle. Instead we're discussing how Ciaz is unstable at 170 kmph. I guess if nobody had died, we would be discussing how safe Ciaz is totally ignoring the fact that the moron was doing 170kmph. :(
Bottom line: Almost any car for past twenty years, unless it is a high-center-of-gravity design, or quirky in some other way, is capable of ("stable?") being driven on a half-reasonable road at or near its maximum speed. Bottom line is not going to be the car, it is going to be the driver.

I am not talking legal, moral, sensible, or easy even: just capable.

This thing hit a tree. Reality check: what is most likely to have been at fault, the car? Or the driver?

Seems to me like Torqy has the answer. Either that or T-BHP has to start including likelyhood that vehicle will hit tree in official reviews.

Cynical? I'd prefer the word realistic, but yes, I am getting old!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 10:45   #23992

This accident happened today at Yemlur Junction (Off Old Airport Road, Bangalore) around 7:40AM. A yellow board Nissan Sunny gone wild (reason unknown) and banged two bikers and one auto on other side of the road. These bikes and auto were waiting for the light to turn green, so that they can take right turn towards Yemlur.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170706_074231.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170706_074316.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170706_074359.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170706_074612.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170706_074718.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170706_075614.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170706_075629.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170706_075716.jpg  

skpower is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 11:29   #23993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpower View Post
This accident happened today at Yemlur Junction (Off Old Airport Road, Bangalore) around 7:40AM. A yellow board Nissan Sunny gone wild (reason unknown)
Looks like an over worked driver losing control. Lately, I am very sceptical about taking OLA or UBER. Most of these drivers work for 15 to 24+ hours. Whenever I hire them I keep them busy, without giving any break, by talking politics to cinema to their car their family, their business to almost everything under the sky till I reach my destination just to keep them awake and alert.

Sometimes for 5 to 6 days they never go home!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th July 2017 at 13:56. Reason: loosing > losing.
LoneRidder is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 12:44   #23994
BHPian

Happened in Anand, Gujarat. Though it was unwise of that vendor to crawl slowly on a major road's right lane that doesn't justify the truck driver's act!

Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 12:44   #23995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpower View Post
These bikes and auto were waiting for the light to turn green, so that they can take right turn towards Yemlur.
It seems both the bikes and the auto were way ahead of the stop line (considering they were waiting for signal to turn green). In this signal, some people try to act very smart by jumping the queue. While it is clearly the fault of the cab driver, but bikes and auto might have got some time to react if they were waiting behind the stop line or may not even be victim if they followed the queue. Lesson for life!

Last edited by airbus : 6th July 2017 at 12:48.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 13:50   #23996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Though it was unwise of that vendor to crawl slowly on a major road's right lane that doesn't justify the truck driver's act!
Doesn't look like a deliberate act from the truck/van owner. Its bit dark at the place where the vendor was walking - gap between two street lights. He might have just missed seeing him. He drove away without even thinking for a minute it seems !
trave11er is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 17:02   #23997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Happened in Anand, Gujarat. Though it was unwise of that vendor to crawl slowly on a major road's right lane that doesn't justify the truck driver's act!
Ah man. That was painful just to watch. Idiot on right lane idiot hitting idiot driving away. So many idiots all around

OT: Hate those circles and arrows that these news channels use.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 17:30   #23998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trave11er View Post
Doesn't look like a deliberate act from the truck/van owner. Its bit dark at the place where the vendor was walking - gap between two street lights. He might have just missed seeing him. He drove away without even thinking for a minute it seems !
Obviously it's not a deliberate act. Who would want to hit someone else with their vehicle damaging their vehicle and get into trouble (unless it's someone crazy with road rage). But he left immediately even without thinking for 10 seconds. Really bad mindset.

Anyway, the cart guy is also at fault. I have seen countless times that cart guys and other small vehicles like bike just don't care what can go wrong. No reflectors, riding in wrong lane, going slow or stopping in faster lanes, parking in blind curves, turning without indicator etc. Just because they don't get into trouble, they take things for granted and keep on doing it.(Not that it's just limited to small vehicles, but smaller vehicles are more vulnerable and should be more careful). Every day we see many such people escaping just because of alertness of other drivers or pure luck. Sometimes they don't even realize that they just escaped from an accident.

Majority don't care or know about road manners and rules. Unless driving tests are made tougher like Germany and rules are made stricter, we'll see these kind of accidents every now and then.
Midas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 10:39   #23999
Senior - BHPian

Saw this badly damaged car this morning right at the VIMS U-Turn, Marathahalli with damage on both front and rear. Not sure if that is the accident spot or traffic police is using this car to block the U-Turn.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 10:44   #24000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Saw this badly damaged car this morning right at the VIMS U-Turn, Marathahalli with damage on both front and rear. Not sure if that is the accident spot or traffic police is using this car to block the U-Turn.
There was a large pile up this morning due to this accident.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks