Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2018, 12:26   #25471
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Witnessed this during my 2017 Leh trip at Ghata loops on Manali - Leh Highway.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ladakh-53.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ladakh-54.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 13:12   #25472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
I am more surprised by the amount of tint on the first car of the picture!! How is the Police allowing it in Mumbai. I have no hopes for Pune on this regards. I have seen tints on the windshield as well
Bhai, I have seen cars in Mumbai have dambar type of tints and they are in free reign, mostly these cars have stickers of political parties, number plates written in Marathi and they roam around like they don't care and they are never stopped too.

This is how gunda raj works in this country!
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 13:32   #25473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
I will base this on a comparison between Linea and my BIL's Baleno.

I cannot comment on VW Punto Golf or even Punto, not checked.
Was talking about the rear end as a whole, like in the picture below, in case of well built hatchbacks, rear doesn't have any crumple zone, instead all the force gets transferred. If we consider poorly built car, it's a different story!

giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 13:55   #25474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I have come to really understand and appreciate why the Germans really harp about their build quality.

I have been shuffling between my bro's I20 and a friends Baleno from about 10 days now. For me, any vehicle I drive/ride is an extension of myself, and is my second nature to keep it clean. So I ensure I at least wipe (if not wash) the cars.
The roof of both Baleno and I20 literally feels like a thin aluminium sheet in comparison to my GT's!! Even the hood, the boot, everything feels really flimsy in comparison.

![/b][/i]
Team BHP review of latest verna gives these figures of weight of the cars(manual petrol) Verna2017(1143kg):City(1058):Ciaz(1010):Rapid(1111 ):Vento(1126):Fiat(1192):Verna2011(1171)

Elite I20(1018):Polo(1033):swift(960):EtiosLiva(895):Pun toEVO(1095):Bolt(1095):SailUVA(1065):Jazz(1007):Ba leno(865):Figo(977)

Any comments and clarification whether kerb weight can be used as a function of Built(not finish)?

Last edited by aadya : 12th January 2018 at 14:01. Reason: additional info.
Old 12th January 2018, 17:07   #25475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Any comments and clarification whether kerb weight can be used as a function of Built(not finish)?
Its not the sheet thickness but the engineering that went into putting it together. A simple example will be paper folded to a fan fold can support a smart phone but without, it cannot support anything. Normally this needs to be done at places that requires. Much like a very very complicated corrugated box, made of 5 or 7 sheets of paper but a person can sometimes sit or stand on it.

Example: The folds give the sheet way more strength
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-buildsimplepaperbridgeasscienceexperiment.1280x600.jpg
(source)

Strengthening a car is also a very similar process, by bending metal and adding extra bits to make them stronger in areas. The sheet thickness also varies depending on the requirement. However this will result in the car gaining some weight.

Sheet metal thickness will only impact the sheer strength, that is when the metal is cut through and not folded.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th January 2018 at 13:01. Reason: Image not visible. Please see the thread "How to Upload pictures" in the Announcements section. Especially post #2. Thanks!
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 05:52   #25476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't understand if you are saying that a parcel tray should withstand force? It would take people's heads off.
In a severe impact it will eventually be the seat of the Linea too, however the seat rests on a thick metal sheet side supports along with the THICK metal parcel tray in comparison to the Baleno's flimsy cardboard.

I hope you know what I mean. SHEET Metal. "Heavy Metal"

I have not described it very well earlier but pictures speak a thousand words.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 13th January 2018 at 05:58.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 10:19   #25477
BHPian

Aprilia SR 150 automatic scooter crash
One of the first reported crashes of the sporty Aprilia SR150 automatic scooter.
A Tata Tiago hatchback is said to have hit the Aprilia SR 150, resulting in extensive damage to the scooter. After hitting the Aprilia scooter, the Tiago has gone on to collide into an electric pole, and this can be seen in the image above. The driver and passenger airbags of the Tiago have deployed, and the impact on the windscreen shows that the person in the passenger seat of the car may not have been wearing a seatbelt. It’s not clear as to why exactly the Tiago hit the Aprilia.

Source : https://www.cartoq.com/indias-first-...sh-is-massive/
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-apriliasr150crashfeatured.jpg  

sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 10:47   #25478
BHPian

A lorry's trailer overturned yesterday morning due to a high-speed turn near VR Mall in Surat.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180112_134401.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180112_134407.jpg
akashitaliya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 11:30   #25479
Senior - BHPian

Lack of signages + absence of barricades + a drunk driver = disaster.

Name:  ForumRunner_20180113_112936.png
Views: 5579
Size:  562.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20180113_112944.png
Views: 5548
Size:  523.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20180113_112950.png
Views: 5577
Size:  549.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20180113_112957.png
Views: 5487
Size:  418.8 KB

(PC : my friend, Santhosh)
schakravarthy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 12:54   #25480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I have come to really understand and appreciate why the Germans really harp about their build quality.

I have been shuffling between my bro's I20 and a friends Baleno from about 10 days now. For me, any vehicle I drive/ride is an extension of myself, and is my second nature to keep it clean. So I ensure I at least wipe (if not wash) the cars.
The roof of both Baleno and I20 literally feels like a thin aluminium sheet in comparison to my GT's!! Even the hood, the boot, everything feels really flimsy in comparison.

My biggest gripe however, is the After Sales Support. ONLY if VW's A.S.S was half as good as Hyundai's or Maruti's !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Its not the sheet thickness but the engineering that went into putting it together. A simple example will be paper folded to a fan fold can support a smart phone but without, it cannot support anything. Normally this needs to be done at places that requires. Much like a very very complicated corrugated box, made of 5 or 7 sheets of paper but a person can sometimes sit or stand on it.

Attached simple experiment pic. A phone cantilevered on a fluted copier sheet

Strengthening a car is also a very similar process, by bending metal and adding extra bits to make them stronger in areas. The sheet thickness also varies depending on the requirement. However this will result in the car gaining some weight.

Sheet metal thickness will only impact the sheer strength, that is when the metal is cut through and not folded.

I was alluding to the first quote. It has been sheet metal thickness of Germans when compared to other manufacturers,the talking point. But except for Maruti and Toyota others are well ahead in the Metal part(as per weight). Our perception of Fiat cars being heavy is well made out
If we see Hyundai cars - they are nearly as heavy as the germans and in metallurgical expertise Hyundai, Mitsubishi etc., have more experienced as they build Ships,Containers, Rail coaches and Constructions.
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 20:09   #25481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
If we see Hyundai cars - they are nearly as heavy as the germans and in metallurgical expertise Hyundai, Mitsubishi etc., have more experienced as they build Ships,Containers, Rail coaches and Constructions.
The Japs/Korean OEMs may have more experience/expertise, but the European OEMs (driven by its higher safety conscious people ultimately) have the stronger will/higher prioritization towards safety and that makes them design stronger built and safer cars (in most cases).
Even the Jap/Korean cars got heavier and engineered towards higher safety levels in the course of their evolution in order to meet the more stringent Euro regulations to be able to sell in that market.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 13th January 2018 at 20:14.
for_cars1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 20:53   #25482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The Japs/Korean OEMs may have more experience/expertise, but the European OEMs (driven by its higher safety conscious people ultimately) have the stronger will/higher prioritization towards safety and that makes them design stronger built and safer cars (in most cases).
All carmakers, be it Japs or European, have only one aim: make money.

The western world is full of regulations, laws, class action lawsuits and whatnot, which forces the carmakers to add some features to their cars mandatorily.

So let us not be under the mistaken impression that the European and American carmakers are the messiahs who care two hoots about what happened to the occupants of their cars. If they do, it's because they are forced to, not because they love to.
honeybee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 21:28   #25483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

The western world is full of regulations, laws, class action lawsuits and whatnot, which forces the carmakers to add some features to their cars mandatorily.

Agree, all these regulations come into existence because of the higher safety awareness level of the people which is why I mentioned that it is people (society) driven in my post.

If we as a society don't care or are largely unaware about our own safety and don't demand safer cars (by regulation or sales), most manufacturers will continue to exploit and dump flimsy unsafe cars in our market to maximize their profits
for_cars1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 21:52   #25484
Senior - BHPian

I guess the reason for all those regulations is there a person can sue the government too. Everybody plays safe.

Not to disagree with your inherent statement that safety consciousness is high amongst some of the manufacturers, only I believe the reason behind it is still commercial.

When the government implements similar reforms here, such as making ABS mandatory, airbags mandatory we shall see Indian models too adhere to those norms.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 01:28   #25485
BHPian

Quote:
So let us not be under the mistaken impression that the European and American carmakers are the messiahs who care two hoots about what happened to the occupants of their cars. If they do, it's because they are forced to, not because they love to.
Let the impression stay "that European and Americans are the messiah's" of not only car making but even road designing, signages etc etc etc. The safety tests, r&d exists there and they strive to achieve continued improvement. No doubt there.
Right they are "forced" to and everyone has to adhere if you want to stay in business. It's just like most of us have to go to work by force not out of love.
It's something like GST
Change is constant.

Quote:
When the government implements similar reforms here, such as making ABS mandatory, airbags mandatory we shall see Indian models too adhere to those norms.
"WE SHALL"
The shall will happen only after corruption ends, till then the test will be limited to Arai.
Cheers.

Last edited by SDP : 14th January 2018 at 09:21. Reason: Editing out extra symbols

Most Viewed