Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2018, 16:02   #25546
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes, Helmets, sure: valid mesage in itself, but... How is wearing a helmet supposed to help an idiot who rides into the side of a truck?
Business opportunity for crush-proof helmets?

I mean sure the current, properly certified helmets can probably help one survive being run over by a small vehicle, but imagine being able to lie under passing trucks for selfies!

P.S. Does that need an '/s'? One can never tell what people are willing to believe these days
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 16:11   #25547
Senior - BHPian

The selfie guy should be awarded Moron of the year award and this clip should be shown in every seminar related to accidents.

As for the truck incident the ladies were really really lucky. Truck was quite slow due to intersection, plus he was attentive, plus unloaded. All combinations saved them. Can't even call these ladies morons cos 80% 2 wheeler riders I encounter every day drive like this. Without a care in the world for rules, law, fellow drivers etc. They believe they are invincible and its the duty of others to watch for them.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 23:50   #25548
BHPian

This incident happened right in front of my eyes in Tirupathi and my dashcam captured it in minute details.
These kind of morons are available dime a dozen on roads.
After hitting the truck from the side, he left the bike handle and was hanging on to the truck and was trying to get rid og the bike, which refused to go away and kept banging the truck multiple times, trying its best to get under the rear wheels
Finally he kissed the tarmac but everybody around burst into laughter and I continued my way forward, as I don't have spare time for such jokers.

For a change, the truck driver had some rods fitted between his front and rear wheels. Shall we call them Suicide prevention bars :
[If they are behind the truck, they are called under run bars, but on the side what are they called?

Name:  frame1.gif
Views: 9638
Size:  112.9 KB

Name:  frame2.gif
Views: 9623
Size:  107.7 KB

Name:  frame3.gif
Views: 9667
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  frame4.gif
Views: 9622
Size:  74.1 KB

MOD EDIT: Adding video:

Please ignore the audio. that's how we responded about the unbelievable happening in front of our eyes :-)

Animated GIF (for those who have youtube blocked):
Name:  knocktruck.gif
Views: 5522
Size:  2.86 MB

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th February 2018 at 10:31. Reason: Adding GIF as well :)
FORTified is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 00:27   #25549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
...If they are behind the truck, they are called under run bars, but on the side what are they called?...
They're called under-run protection wherever they are located. The aim is to prevent a smaller/lower vehicle from getting under a larger/taller vehicle.

We have a thread explaining this here.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th January 2018 at 00:32.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 08:27   #25550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This incident happened right in front of my eyes

NOTE: I have the video but not sure how to upload it, hence sharing some frames from screen grabs.
You can upload it to YouTube and post the link here which will automatically post the video.
That's two times now we seem to have seen a trucker 'prevent' a suicidal accident.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 09:24   #25551
BHPian

Quote:
After hitting the truck from the side, he left the bike handle and was hanging on to the truck and was trying to get rid og the bike, which refused to go away and kept banging the truck multiple times, trying its best to get under the rear wheels
Finally he kissed the tarmac but everybody around burst into laughter and I continued my way forward, as I don't have spare time for such jokers.
On the contrary you should post the video in "The official Jokes" thread.

We all can have a good laugh.
Vasuki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 09:44   #25552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This incident happened right in front of my eyes in Tirupathi and my dashcam captured it in minute details.
These kind of morons are available dime a dozen on roads.
This looks like a movie scene. Hero chasing the villain in the truck and trying to climb on to the truck.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 10:15   #25553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
The selfie guy should be awarded Moron of the year award
This clip will soon feature in the Darwin Awards also-rans Twitter account, I expect:

https://twitter.com/AwardsDarwin

He doesn't qualify for the award, though.

Last edited by binand : 26th January 2018 at 10:17.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 11:08   #25554
BHPian

Here is the video of the accident that I was posting pictures of, a couple of posts above:

Please ignore the audio. that's how we responded about the unbelievable happening in front of our eyes :-)

Last edited by FORTified : 26th January 2018 at 11:10. Reason: Want to add one more line regarding audio
FORTified is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 11:36   #25555
Distinguished - BHPian

Weirdest crash I've seen. The biker should thank the truck driver, truck owner and his luck for staying alive.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 11:57   #25556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For a change, the truck driver had some rods fitted between his front and rear wheels.
These bars are standard on new trucks, but a few months on the roads, morons who hit from the sides, bad roads etc break them off.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 12:01   #25557
BHPian

I'm pained to post in this thread as a victim of a small accident.
My car which was rear ended by a Zen today morning around 7.50am in the Nelamangala Elevated Toll road, Bangalore.
I was going to Melkote with my entire family (4 adults + 1 child, me included). I was doing about 75kmph (speed limit in the elevated toll road is 80kmph) when suddenly the traffic ahead of me slowed abruptly to a stop. The vehicle immediately ahead of me was a mini-truck who came to a halt and I had to brake hard to come to a halt behind him. I stopped about 3-4 meters behind this truck. About a second later, I hear a crash from behind to find this Zen rear-ending me. All of us were buckled-up and hence no injuries or whiplash whatsoever.

My wife quickly took snaps of both vehicles with damages. I demanded the guy to accompany me to the nearest police station. At first, he said ok. He gave me his name and mobile number. Then I demanded to see his insurance note which he showed me and I had snaps taken of the same (to get his name, address and phone number). Slowly his tone changed, he was now blaming me for the accident and was asking me why I braked hard (did he expect me to rear-end the truck? )

He said we can go to Nelamangala Police station to sort things out. But I lost him in the Nelamangala toll booth. I pull over and call his number which turns out to be wrong number. I had suspected something of this sort. So I check with his insurance note and call his correct number - he now says he is going to leave his car in a garage and then come over to the police station. By now, I don't trust him, so I ask him to come directly to the police station. He is still blaming me for the accident and says that his repairs will cost more than mine. I tell him again to come to police station to sort it out. But, he cuts the call. Few more attempts to call him, but his phone is switched-off.
Fortunately, I saw a Traffic policeman in a nearby tea shop and explained him my situation. He was kind and politely asked me all details. But told me that since the incident happened on elevated toll road, I have to approach Peenya Police station since it comes in their jurisdiction. He patiently told me the route to the Peenya Police station as well.

I then drove cautiously to Peenya traffic Police station. Lots of police and traffic police were there due to Republic day bandobast. I was guided to the appropriate officer in charge. There were 3 traffic policemen who patiently heard my story. Took down all details such as vehicle numbers, names, addresses etc. They tried calling the errant driver's number but it was switched off. The policemen were sympathetic to my plight and told me to contact them this evening. Meanwhile, they said they will continue to contact the other party in the accident. They told me that if I were to file an FIR, I will have to leave the car with them for minimum 3 days. I was reluctant to leave it there since I live about 25 kms away from there. They told me to get an estimate of repair bill from authorized service center and if possible, settle it amicably with the other party. I called up TASS to find out that they are closed today on the occasion of Republic day. I'm planning to go tomorrow and check the extend of damage (Rear bumper is a goner, definitely has to be replaced. Boot door is not opening - I have luggage and some important documents inside it. Some rear parking sensors are damaged. Rear fog lamp is damaged.)

I drove back home cautiously. The day had started with hope and happy expectations on a family trip to Melkote. But sadly, fate had some other plans for us. But still, no injuries or harm to anyone. So thankful for that.

Sorry for the long post. Suggestions from fellow BHPians on how to proceed with repair/insurance claim will be much appreciated.

My heartfelt thanks to Bangalore Traffic Police for their kind support and understanding

Damage to my car
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

The Zen that rear ended me

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5.jpg

Last edited by srvm : 26th January 2018 at 12:06.
srvm is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 12:14   #25558
BHPian

One more video.
Happened in Bangalore, near Ulsoor.
Car driver goes on to the wrong side of the road and continues to go further right.
Three riders on a bike, no helmets and no intention to brake - on the right side of the road.

All of them join for a mid road meeting

FORTified is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 12:41   #25559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
My car which was rear ended by a Zen today morning around 7.50am in the Nelamangala Elevated Toll road, Bangalore.
I'm planning to go tomorrow and check the extend of damage (Rear bumper is a goner, definitely has to be replaced. Boot door is not opening - I have luggage and some important documents inside it. Some rear parking sensors are damaged. Rear fog lamp is damaged.)
The damage doesn't look serious. The bumper can be straightened out, but the authorized service centre may not do it. So you can check locally for a denter painter setup and see how much it would cost.

Boot door not opening could be a damage to the lock - can be fixed up outside too. But if the lock cylinder is busted, it will have to be replaced. In that case you will need a separate key for the boot door. For the sake of convenience and safety, I would suggest getting all the locks changed if the boot lock is busted.

You should be able to access the boot by folding the rear seats down, or if there's an armrest in the rear seat, it may have an opening into the boot area.

File a report with the police station describing the accident just so the other party cannot claim otherwise. For claiming insurance, police report shouldn't be necessary as there is no personal injury.

Happy to know all were belted up. Drive safe and don't worry about such accidents. Be prepared, keep more distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front and use seat belts.
honeybee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 12:46   #25560

Quote:
After hitting the truck from the side
Curious.Why did he go and hit the truck in the first place.It is as though he was pointed directly towards the truck

Most Viewed