Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:19   #8326
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for sharing this. Yes I was well aware of the Late Dr Shrikant Ramchandra Jichkar as India's most qualified person, but I had the least hint that his life came to such a tragic end.
No one can change destiny. I was almost in a similar situation couple of years back when I was driving from Nasik to Pune with my family. Always keep a margin for other's errors. One might not be twice lucky.
True AutoIndian, one has to be very cautious and leave all else to destiny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Sorry for the loss of your close friend.
From the description in the pic, they make it look as if the accident was bus driver's fault. Bigger vehicle at fault bias quite evident here.
Thanks asr245 for the consolation.The bus driver was jailed for many years. I am not aware of the present position. Perhaps according to me both the car and bus drivers were at fault.The Lancer had swerved to the extreme right side while overtaking the slow moving truck, while the bus was to its left, though speeding. Don't know, I may be corrected.
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:26   #8327
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Just goes to show that even the combined deities of four religions do not relieve the responsibility of steering properly! Offtopic: what is symbol number 3?
That looks like the symbol used by Sikh Khalsa Panth to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalsa_Panth

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:31   #8328
Distinguished - BHPian

oho....those are the symbols of each major religion.
remember when we were taught secularism in school?
the 3 is Om, denoting hinduism.
the crescent and star denotes Islam
then is the khanda,for sikhism
cross is for christianity.
ok?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 20:57   #8329
BHPian

This one backended another truck as usual WB 23 registered means a high speed accident.
This happened near City mall Raipur. Most probably someone had come out of the mall and the trucker in front braked hard.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00166.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2011, 21:14   #8330
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmeetsingh View Post
This one backended another truck as usual WB 23 registered means a high speed accident.
This happened near City mall Raipur. Most probably someone had come out of the mall and the trucker in front braked hard.

We often never know why the vehicle in front braked hard - could be a stupid cyclist or 2-wheeler antics or a stupid pedestrian or more likely a small public carrier or Rickshaw. In the melee, these culprits who originally cause the incident disappear from the scene without a scratch.

--Ragul
Old 3rd June 2011, 21:23   #8331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
That's terrible. I cannot identify what car it is! Is it M 800? I heard it has been raining heavily since 2 days in and around Mangalore. Looks like the car skidded. I don't think seatbelts or any number of airbags could have saved the victims.

OT: I have to be extra careful when I drive to Mangalore tomorrow. And, see you there!

BTW, it is NH 66 now, isn' it?
Rohan its an Innova (updated article on the site)

This is a direct head on collision and the images say it all. All I can say is RIP to the poor souls.

Please be careful when you drive and make sure you keep your eyes and ears open!! Safe journey!!
Old 3rd June 2011, 21:57   #8332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
We often never know why the vehicle in front braked hard - could be a stupid cyclist or 2-wheeler antics or a stupid pedestrian or more likely a small public carrier or Rickshaw. In the melee, these culprits who originally cause the incident disappear from the scene without a scratch.

--Ragul
in that ABC, The driving of the A, "culprit" may have been a crime in itself, but they are not responsible for guy C running into guy B. That would be because C was not keeping proper distance.
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:07   #8333
BHPian

Is it only in Thane that these private buses which transport passengers at cheaper rates as compared to the state owned ones stop dangerously anywhere in the middle of the road just to pick/drop passengers?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus.jpg

In the picture above, the bus driver has erratically stopped the bus right before the start of the flyover. I travel on the Eastern Express Highway daily and have personally witnessed these buses going from the right-most lane to the left one at the start of the flyover without using any indicators only to drop a few passengers. Just another accident waiting to happen.

Picture Credits: Mumbai Mirror

Last edited by prateekm : 3rd June 2011 at 22:14.
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:50   #8334
BHPian

This happened near my friends house, the truck driver was trying to reverse and could not judge the width of the road and fell off in field. Truck was loaded with ceramic tea cups boxes.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-truck.jpg
Old 4th June 2011, 00:10   #8335
BHPian

I pray for the truck driver to come out of this. The truck drivers have raw end of the deal in our country, on our national highways they are by-far the most courteous, but they are put in position by their ever-demanding operators to load more than what their trucks can take and given an unrealistic schedule, pile on that the bribe-taking cop and every car or bike who thinks the truck drivers are villains. Their demeanor is praise-worthy!!!
vshetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 00:40   #8336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks asr245 for the consolation.The bus driver was jailed for many years. I am not aware of the present position. Perhaps according to me both the car and bus drivers were at fault.The Lancer had swerved to the extreme right side while overtaking the slow moving truck, while the bus was to its left, though speeding. Don't know, I may be corrected.
It was tragic the way your friend lost his life but the bigger tragedy is learning that the bus driver got a raw deal, even though it is quite clear that it was the driver of the Lancer who was clearly at fault. Not only was he at fault but he even got away with it. If the victim were a man of lesser stature the investigation would have revealed the real culprit. Enough said, this did not make for easy reading especially after going through the newspaper articles and realising that a learned man was snatched away prematurely and now again after reading about the bus driver's fate.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 10:00   #8337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
It was tragic the way your friend lost his life but the bigger tragedy is learning that the bus driver got a raw deal, even though it is quite clear that it was the driver of the Lancer who was clearly at fault. Not only was he at fault but he even got away with it. If the victim were a man of lesser stature the investigation would have revealed the real culprit. Enough said, this did not make for easy reading especially after going through the newspaper articles and realising that a learned man was snatched away prematurely and now again after reading about the bus driver's fate.
Thanks Khoj for your consolation and analysis. Overall, it was one of the saddest events ever for me. I had been to the site on N.H. 6 with many of his friends, where the mangled car was, but being in a state of grief and disbelief, no pictures were clicked. In fact, I did not carry the camera along too! When near and dear ones are involved the brain takes a big sabbatical and pauses!
Old 4th June 2011, 11:27   #8338
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshetty View Post
I pray for the truck driver to come out of this. The truck drivers have raw end of the deal in our country, on our national highways they are by-far the most courteous, but they are put in position by their ever-demanding operators to load more than what their trucks can take and given an unrealistic schedule, pile on that the bribe-taking cop and every car or bike who thinks the truck drivers are villains. Their demeanor is praise-worthy!!!

I agree. Many times I am stuck in traffic jams and find the hapless truck driver with a long trailer trying his best to maneuver with smaller cars and vehicles running all round him in a fleet footed agile fashion, making his job really tough - no sooner than he starts moving he has to brake because others wont let him extricate his trailer out of the space - and imagine when this keeps repeating over 15 mins continuously!! And imagine doing this without a cleaner to assist!! Sometimes they have to live through a few hours of traffic jams a day. I put myself in their place and imagined how tough my driving life would be and it appalls me.

---Ragul
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 12:52   #8339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I agree. Many times I am stuck in traffic jams and find the hapless truck driver with a long trailer trying his best to maneuver with smaller cars and vehicles running all round him in a fleet footed agile fashion, making his job really tough - no sooner than he starts moving he has to brake because others wont let him extricate his trailer out of the space - and imagine when this keeps repeating over 15 mins continuously!! And imagine doing this without a cleaner to assist!! Sometimes they have to live through a few hours of traffic jams a day. I put myself in their place and imagined how tough my driving life would be and it appalls me.

---Ragul
Well said! I think it is us city drivers who are the worst behaved of the lot on the highway. Check any rail crossing on a highway and you will find the the trucks are properly lined up and the cars, 2 wheelers, autos would be all over the place causing jams. I also find that they are more likely to yield way while overtaking. Buses, mini-trucks (Tata Ace like) and beacon/political party flag bearing vehicles are most ill-behaved.
Old 4th June 2011, 14:15   #8340
BHPian

Its getting worse by the day now that the monsoons have started. Just saw this one on the local portal.

Bantwal: One Dies, Six Injured in Bus-jeep Collision on NH 48

Image credit: www.daijiworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-daya_040611_bantwl1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks