BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Close shave for the five AI staff!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-daya_110611_yeyadi1.jpg

Mangalore: Innova-Bus Collision Injures Five Air India Staff
Old 12th June 2011, 22:27   #8432
BHPian

tipper accident looks like due to opening of it's tipper trolley (what ever it's called) and getting struck in the building causing the accident.
Old 13th June 2011, 01:08   #8433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
tipper accident looks like due to opening of it's tipper trolley (what ever it's called) and getting struck in the building causing the accident.
That building is the first Metro station in Gurgaon if you are driving from Delhi on the M.G. road, Mehrauli -Gurgaon that is and not Mahatama Gandhi road.
Old 13th June 2011, 03:13   #8434
Distinguished - BHPian

The whole thing looks pretty unstable --- and yet traffic is proceeding around it as if it was something normal. The makings of a further accident?
Old 13th June 2011, 13:05   #8435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The whole thing looks pretty unstable --- and yet traffic is proceeding around it as if it was something normal. The makings of a further accident?
Looks pretty stable and secure to me. What with the bucket stuck against the face wall of the station and the tractor itself jammed against the bottom slab. can go neither sideways nor forward for sure. The only way out seems to be to pull it back so the bucket falls down or is made to fall down (by disengaging the no return hydraulic fluid valves) thereby shifting the weight to the front allowing the tractor to come down too.

More interesting would be to know how the driver managed to end up in this unenviable position. A speeding dumper jumping over a speed breaker cannot result in this. The bucket would jump but merely a few inches and for further travel it would need assistance.
Old 13th June 2011, 18:55   #8436
BHPian

An incident yesterday - Sunday, while having lunch at Suksagar Koramangala at 1.30pm, there was a loud thud sound and when I turned around, I saw a lady laying on the road in pool of blood unconscious. On reaching her I noticed her left hand muscles had opened up and front teeth broken, lips deeply cut with no sign of movement. I immediately called 108 services ambulance for help.

Apparently a speeding WagonR has hit her with high force resulting in this lady thrown into air and ground 15 meters from the point of impact. The result might have shattered the windshield of the car as there where glass pieces on the ground. The car sped from the scene immediately probably fearing worst result from the impact. Thankfully some students had noted down the car reg. no.

10 minutes from the accident, two traffic police arrived and immediately wanted to put the victim into an auto despite me telling then that the ambulance will arrive anytime soon(I was constantly tracking it, because they give the drivers no.). Foolish of them to have put the lady into an auto, by holding the shoulders and legs, without knowing what damage there is under her skin or bone. Thankfully the ambulance arrived and they took her to St.John's hospital.

I must commend 108 services for arriving within 15 minutes from reporting the incident and the cops for proactively participating in overall organization without showing any lethargy.

Hope the lady is getting the treatment now and recovering well.
shenoytech is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 19:07   #8437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
An incident yesterday - Sunday, while having lunch at Suksagar Koramangala at 1.30pm, there was a loud thud sound and when I turned around, I saw a lady laying on the road in pool of blood unconscious. On reaching her I noticed her left hand muscles had opened up and front teeth broken, lips deeply cut with no sign of movement. I immediately called 108 services ambulance for help.

Apparently a speeding WagonR has hit her with high force resulting in this lady thrown into air and ground 15 meters from the point of impact. The result might have shattered the windshield of the car as there where glass pieces on the ground. The car sped from the scene immediately probably fearing worst result from the impact. Thankfully some students had noted down the car reg. no.

10 minutes from the accident, two traffic police arrived and immediately wanted to put the victim into an auto despite me telling then that the ambulance will arrive anytime soon(I was constantly tracking it, because they give the drivers no.). Foolish of them to have put the lady into an auto, by holding the shoulders and legs, without knowing what damage there is under her skin or bone. Thankfully the ambulance arrived and they took her to St.John's hospital.

I must commend 108 services for arriving within 15 minutes from reporting the incident and the cops for proactively participating in overall organization without showing any lethargy.

Did the cops do anything about that <words prohibited on tbhp> hit and run driver?

When I was learning to drive, they always told that while hitting somebody accidentally was a traffic violation (even if the person had grievous injuries), hitting and then running from the scene was a criminal violation

Their advice - take care of the victim if you can and call the police yourself.
Old 13th June 2011, 19:30   #8438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So good of you to come to the rescue of that lady & call the ambulance.

Quote:
Thankfully the ambulance arrived and they took her to St.John's hospital.

I would advice, go a step further & inquire @ that lady, if possible visit the hospital. Meet her family & give them the assurance that she will get well soon.
Old 13th June 2011, 19:54   #8439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

I would advice, go a step further & inquire @ that lady, if possible visit the hospital. Meet her family & give them the assurance that she will get well soon.
I would advise to not do that.
sounds cynical,but its what experience has done.

See, good samaritans are pounced upon in such cases.
Even if its not the family itself, the cops/authorities may try to remorselessly milk you.
I know it goes against the grain of caring, but if you think i am wrong, read up within TBHP itself of cases where people offering a helping hand have literally been blackmailed into emptying their wallets.
Old 13th June 2011, 20:40   #8440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I would advise to not do that.
sounds cynical,but its what experience has done.

See, good samaritans are pounced upon in such cases.
Even if its not the family itself, the cops/authorities may try to remorselessly milk you.
I know it goes against the grain of caring, but if you think i am wrong, read up within TBHP itself of cases where people offering a helping hand have literally been blackmailed into emptying their wallets.
Mayankk, I would beg to differ with you over here. Blackmailing & cops exploiting you, could be a posisbility if you are guilty (ie if you were the cause of the accident), never this would happen if you lend a helping hand as a good samaritan. I would like to site here my real life example. It was Dec 1998, around 8pm in the evening, when I was travelling with my firend pillion on my bike when we crossed a flyover. Then suddenly we heard a loud thud & the city bus 50 meters ahead of us came to a screeching halt. On getting near to the bus, we found a scooter lying besides it & a man lying on the road unconcious, with blood tricking from his head. Both of us got down from the bike, checked for his pulse, we thought that there was some life. We requested passers by to lend help to take the victim to the hospital, a few passengers got down from an Auto, but the driver was reluctant. After lot of efforts we managed to stop a car (it was a doctors car) & took the victim to the nearest civil hospital. Doctors took the patient inside, but said that this was a police case, police would take our statements, we agreed. By the time doctors could act, the victim had breathed his last. Police came, took our statements, fortunately the bus conductor was with us (driver had fled off after hitting the scooter). Police told us that they may visit our homes to gather further information if required. Two weeks from that day was my sister's marriage & there were many guests at our house. I requested the police, not to visit our home & I would offer all possible co-operation by coming to the police station myself. After @ 2-3 hours we left the hospital, but that was the last time I heard from the police. The police or for that matter no one else tortured me nor did any one extort any money.

The point that I want to table here is that if we held back just for the fear of being tortured later or blackmailed by the police or anyone else, that would be gross injustice to the accident victim.
Old 14th June 2011, 02:03   #8441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The point that I want to table here is that if we held back just for the fear of being tortured later or blackmailed by the police or anyone else, that would be gross injustice to the accident victim.

I agree with that fully. Also people give a lot less (And a lot more) credit to the police than they should - most of them are opportunistically corrupt, not competent corrupt. First sign of resistance and they back off. The competent-corrupt guys (also the honest guys) make so much from other venues, they don't bother shaking down the wrong trees, in fact many do try to help.

Add to this the fear of media. In fact my sister's driver was caught speeding in Delhi a few years ago, she is a journalist, so the car said "PRESS" - the cop wouldn't accept a bribe for the fear of a sting !

Some time ago there was a thread where a BHPian unknowingly hit a cop's bike while reversing his SUV - the cop was pissed (understandably) and acted very unfairly - but he still did the official thing - he gave our friend a ticket - an expensive one surely, but apart from the hit to our friend's self esteem there was no illegal non sense.
Old 14th June 2011, 10:13   #8442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mayankk, I would beg to differ with you over here. Blackmailing & cops exploiting you, could be a posisbility if you are guilty (ie if you were the cause of the accident), never this would happen if you lend a helping hand as a good samaritan. I would like to site here my real life example. It was Dec 1998, around 8pm in the evening, when I was travelling with my firend pillion on my bike when we crossed a flyover. Then suddenly we heard a loud thud & the city bus 50 meters ahead of us came to a screeching halt. On getting near to the bus, we found a scooter lying besides it & a man lying on the road unconcious, with blood tricking from his head. Both of us got down from the bike, checked for his pulse, we thought that there was some life. We requested passers by to lend help to take the victim to the hospital, a few passengers got down from an Auto, but the driver was reluctant. After lot of efforts we managed to stop a car (it was a doctors car) & took the victim to the nearest civil hospital. Doctors took the patient inside, but said that this was a police case, police would take our statements, we agreed. By the time doctors could act, the victim had breathed his last. Police came, took our statements, fortunately the bus conductor was with us (driver had fled off after hitting the scooter). Police told us that they may visit our homes to gather further information if required. Two weeks from that day was my sister's marriage & there were many guests at our house. I requested the police, not to visit our home & I would offer all possible co-operation by coming to the police station myself. After @ 2-3 hours we left the hospital, but that was the last time I heard from the police. The police or for that matter no one else tortured me nor did any one extort any money.

As far as helping out when the accident happens, i have done the same.
Bu tend to limit myself till the point when my competence has ended, and the authorities has begun, by way of medical and judicial care.
Basically, to the point where my presence does not make any impact anymore.
Why i say this, is one of my friends took a lady to the hospital and a couple of days later, went to check up one her.
the whole family was there, and the woman's husband decided it was him who had caused the accident.
He got a good bashing from all the relatives around, to the point where he had to be stitched up in the same hospital!
Till the doctors intervened, and it was clear to the guys that he hadnt caused the accident, he was stomped upon.
post that, this husband fellow, told him "she'll say you were the one who hit her, you have to give us x amount of money!".
Luckily, through some string pulling, we managed to pull him out.

So like i said, i tend to limit myself to getting the person handed over into proper medical care, cos frankly i cannot offer any medical service etc.
post that, my civic sense is pacified having done as much as i could.
Old 14th June 2011, 10:50   #8443
BHPian

Yesteday saw a maroon sedan being pulled out of a river. The reporter said that "This was the second of the two cars to be found. The car was found 3km downstrem from where it had fallen"

Search the net today to find this

Kashmir car accident: One youth still missing - Hindustan Times
Old 14th June 2011, 12:18   #8444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
As far as helping out when the accident happens, i have done the same.
=================
post that, my civic sense is pacified having done as much as i could.
After sending the lady to Hospital, I heard sub inspector shouting at somebody at the hospital for not admitting her . St.John's being run by missionary can act this way was unpardonable. Not sure if they are aware of supreme court directive to admit the patient first before police intervention. Thankfully the sub inspector left the place to take care of this situation.

It is easier said than done in taking time for visiting the victim unless generally you are involved in the accident. I did give written statement to the sub inspector at the spot narrating the incident, which gives them power to pursue their case against the offender and help the victim get justice. I do not mind if called to become a witness to the case.

Let’s hope that somebody stands up to us when our hour of need comes.
shenoytech is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 13:51   #8445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After sending the lady to Hospital, I heard sub inspector shouting at somebody at the hospital for not admitting her . St.John's being run by missionary can act this way was unpardonable. .
I remember like seeing police and an outpost in front of Casualty at St. Johns hospital. If its there, are they supposed to do the formalities?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks