Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 11:06   #8386
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

^^ This proves that the rules we have are so bloody outdated. The driver was booked previously, but no action was taken.

Why cant we have point system on our license, the way it is followed outside India? Every offence leads to points being deducted, ending in license being cancelled for a year or more, depending on the nature of offences.
Old 9th June 2011, 12:17   #8387
Senior - BHPian

The below incident happened at the recently concluded Rally of Maharashtra in Nashik.
The car in question went down more than 200ft and toppled atleast 10 times in the process before coming to a rest against the tree. Both the driver and co-driver emerged out of the car without a single scratch.
A great testament to the safety procedures followed in Motor Sports. The passenger cell is protected by the roll cage and has not crumpled even after such a heavy crash.
These pictures were taken by the driver of the car after coming out.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo2.jpg  

Old 9th June 2011, 12:30   #8388
Senior - BHPian

I think this endless thought of 40kph strict adherence for truckers is absolutely poppycock.

Nick can advise - but you need safer trucks. Not SLOWER trucks.

Our bus travels have improved with the likes of Volvo because it is faster, because the owners bother to train the drivers (more often than not). It does not matter that now its a 20 ton bus hurtling down the highway at triple digits - it matters that its driven well.

Ditto with trucks. Better trucks, stringent fitness checks, checking of the driver's competence. THAT is what we need. Letting helpers learn on the job is what kills thousands of people every year. Ensuring trucks drive at 40 kph does not make them one bit safer - it just slows down our highways.

Word of the day: Load Shift.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 13:07   #8389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
The TN bus accident is another example where the driver escapes while most of the passengers don't. I wonder how only drivers manage to escape!!!

The bus is AL AC coach. The bus fell on to its left side, so the driver could get out through the door. All other passengers would have been sleeping and would have fell down. They had to get up, break open the glass on the right side of the bus, which would be at height of around 8 feet (when the bus is on its side) and escape. Add the darkness and the shock and it would have been traumatic experience. Most would have died due to asphyxiation rather than due to injuries.

Had it been a normal bus, most of the passengers would have escaped.

So are these sleeper coaches really safe and how were they approved by the RTOs. In case of an accident, causalities are bound to be much higher in a sleeper coach

Last edited by raju2512 : 9th June 2011 at 13:08.
Old 9th June 2011, 15:14   #8390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
^^ This proves that the rules we have are so bloody outdated. The driver was booked previously, but no action was taken.

Why cant we have point system on our license, the way it is followed outside India? Every offence leads to points being deducted, ending in license being cancelled for a year or more, depending on the nature of offences.
Swanand, I agree with your thoughts about the points system, but it would be useful only when license checks are effectively implemented and stringently conducted. These days even cleaners without licenses drive trucks on the highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Our bus travels have improved with the likes of Volvo because it is faster, because the owners bother to train the drivers (more often than not). It does not matter that now its a 20 ton bus hurtling down the highway at triple digits - it matters that its driven well.
Your points about the truck drivers and their training are bang on target. However, do you think bus drivers are really driving well? Some of them may be, but a majority are driven too fast IMHO.
Again, I understand the "too fast" debate is never ending because the term fast is not really defined!
Old 9th June 2011, 15:25   #8391
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I think this endless thought of 40kph strict adherence for truckers is absolutely poppycock.

Ditto with trucks. Better trucks, stringent fitness checks, checking of the driver's competence. THAT is what we need. Letting helpers learn on the job is what kills thousands of people every year. Ensuring trucks drive at 40 kph does not make them one bit safer - it just slows down our highways.

Word of the day: Load Shift.
Whilst the world remains imperfect, and likely to do so forever, in all those respects, slower would be a lot better than nothing
Old 9th June 2011, 15:57   #8392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Your points about the truck drivers and their training are bang on target. However, do you think bus drivers are really driving well? Some of them may be, but a majority are driven too fast IMHO.
Again, I understand the "too fast" debate is never ending because the term fast is not really defined!
To that I agree. I meant the 70-100 speeds. I don't think most of our roads support buses to safely speed at 100+ kays through the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Whilst the world remains imperfect, and likely to do so forever, in all those respects, slower would be a lot better than nothing
No boss. You honestly think that load shift can be avoided even at 40? And instead - clamping down on overloading/misloading will actually reduce the instances of accidents, no?

My point is that a well loaded truck that can cruise at 70 all day long (as in Europe, UK or even egypt!!!) covers far more distance, and reduces the requirement for drivers to extend their duty hours, thus ensuring more sensible driving all around.

Which is why its rare to come across badly driven Volvo's FM12 (?) trucks because their drivers are that much better (and so amen to your sig)
Old 9th June 2011, 19:41   #8393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You honestly think that load shift can be avoided even at 40?
Nope.

But I do honestly think that many, if not most of the "driver lost control and..." accidents would not have happened at slower speeds. Speed is an essential factor in any accident that involves skidding, eg failure to actually stay on the road at a curve, or not stopping in time to avoid hitting something. It is also makes a difference to the consequences.

I'm glad you like the new sig
Old 10th June 2011, 01:11   #8394
BHPian

I feel all these accidents make a strong case for finally introducing high speed rail travel in India. We can claim to have one of the largest rail networks in the world but our trains barely average 60-70km/hr, no wonder people are tempted to use cars & buses for short/intermediate inter-city travel.
Old 10th June 2011, 15:31   #8395
BHPian

Spotted this badly crumbled car, once called as Maruti Swift.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-swift-accident.jpg
Old 10th June 2011, 17:03   #8396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Spotted this badly crumbled car, once called as Maruti Swift.
Wow, that is one swift crumple job! Does that auto in the front have anything to do with the accident btw? Or was it lying parked by the road and the car just been pushed against it?
Old 10th June 2011, 17:11   #8397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, that is one swift crumple job! Does that auto in the front have anything to do with the accident btw? Or was it lying parked by the road and the car just been pushed against it?
The Auto is missing a wheel too!!!! It could be related to the the Swift accident or alternately, this could be next/opposite to a PS where the accident cars etc are kept....
Nikhil bhai; your comments?
Old 10th June 2011, 17:32   #8398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Was it lying parked by the road and the car just been pushed against it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby-069 View Post
Nikhil bhai; your comments?
Yes Bhai Log, The Auto is no way related to this accident. This Swift got towed from the accident spot to the PS. This Swift was pushed towards the Auto. I have been seeing this Auto there for a long time and he got his richer cousin yesterday as company now.
Old 10th June 2011, 20:00   #8399
BHPian

After the recent spate of fatal road accidents in TN, police are now in action.
Heard of a news report that TN Police with speed guns are stopping over speeding vehicles on NH.

Please drive with caution.
Old 10th June 2011, 23:00   #8400
BHPian

I was involved in a freak accident today, or rather witness to one. And all due to rash driving by the autorickshaw driver. He overtook a tempo, by the skin of the teeth. The tempo had to swerve to the left because my auto almost hit him. On the tempo's left was another shared auto and it (the tempo) collided with the shared auto. My auto driver went on speeding as if nothing happened or so he pretended. I repeatedly told him to drive carefully and follow rules, as he just went off from the moment I sat in the auto.

Now the tempo got mighty mad and followed my auto for a good one kilometer until he caught up as we stopped in a traffic signal. And then the drama unfolded. The tempo guy and his helped got down and started bashing my auto driver left right center, in spite of my and by stander's repeated protest. The poor auto guy was in total shock. I felt bad for him, but not so bad as from now on he will not try to be rash, or at least remember this incident every time his adrenaline kicks in while driving his auto.

Have added (poorly done ) graphics for illustration.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-auto-collision.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks