Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:42   #9286
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Its is not a "Place of of worship". For those you don't know the structure is the guard tower of a castle with enormous historical significance.Mowing it down for a road will be horrible/
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:03   #9287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Apart from worship places in middle of the road, we can also find dividers starting with no indications. I have seen these kind of dividers causing several accidents both in hyderabad and bangalore. May be it happens in other places as well.
Forget bangalore roads,there are one or two spots on the NICE road where if at all you try to overtake slow moving trucks from the left ,you might end up on the side walls.

I had a close call a few years back when i tried overtaking from the left in the lancer as all the 3 lanes were blocked by slow moving trucks overtaking each other .
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:08   #9288
Senior - BHPian

^^^ +1 to Bluengel180's quote. its was one of the posts marking the city of Bendakaluru (Bangalore/Bengaluru of now)

Last edited by Shubz : 23rd September 2011 at 20:13.
Old 23rd September 2011, 23:59   #9289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
^^Do you guys mean that Safari is also not stable enough?I used to feel its a more stable and planted vehicle.
I feel all vehicles can do "wonderful" tricks depending on morons driving it.
The safari is as stable as it can be for its bulk, but if a idiot is driving it like a small hatch, GOD save u, I think that is what has happened in this particular case

Check out the safari's performance in this year's Desert Storm n u'll be surprised how stable it is.....was there participating in a gypsy and can personally vouch for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
The car looks to be Maruti Esteem. Looks like the hand brake was not engaged and the car went into the ditch.
it definitely looks like an alto, anyways road r caving in all around delhi this season, there was news a couple of days back of two cars falling into a similar cave-in in Faridabad
Old 24th September 2011, 00:31   #9290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Forget bangalore roads,there are one or two spots on the NICE road where if at all you try to overtake slow moving trucks from the left ,you might end up on the side walls.

I had a close call a few years back when i tried overtaking from the left in the lancer as all the 3 lanes were blocked by slow moving trucks overtaking each other .
Which part of Nice road are you talking about? I am a frequent traveller in this road and hence will keep that spot in mind while travelling in this road. I mostly travel from Bannerghatta road towards hosur road.
Old 24th September 2011, 01:58   #9291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Which part of Nice road are you talking about? I am a frequent traveller in this road and hence will keep that spot in mind while travelling in this road. I mostly travel from Bannerghatta road towards hosur road.
I dont remember this exactly ,but it was before the Mysore Road toll booth when coming from Nelamangala
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 07:21   #9292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for sharing that torquecurve. To all those who are not much aware @ Pune, this is actually an old heritage structure bang in the middle of the widened road (aprox 150 years old, or could be more). Hence this has not been touched during road widening.
@Autoindian - I have seen this structure and if i remember correctly it has a clock at the top. Is this a clock tower? Any idea about the history behind it.
I agree it definitely needs some reflective stickers on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Its is not a "Place of of worship". For those you don't know the structure is the guard tower of a castle with enormous historical significance.Mowing it down for a road will be horrible/
@Bluengel180 - I think you are referring to the structure in Bangalore. The structure in the accident pic does not look like a place of worship. Your location says Pune so got confused.
Old 24th September 2011, 07:23   #9293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Saw this accident vehicle yesterday night Opposite shoppers stop in Wakdewadi. There wall that the car crashed into is a historical monument on the left side of the road. For people with knowledge of this road it is not an issue.

Looks like an overtaking manouvere gone wrong. At night there are some heavy vehicles and buses on this road. Probably tried overtaking from left and crashed because the driver did not expect this monument in the middle of the road.

probably not wearing seatbelt as the windscreen glass had smashed from the inside. there was blood on the side of the car as well.
No seatbelts and overspeeding ofcourse are inexcusable. But that is one badly designed piece of road! Ok the monument can not be done away with but the least that can be done is make the road slowly and gradually become narrow enough as one gets closer to the wall. Of course the best solution would have been to avoid the monument altogether. I mean its not as if the monument was built after the road, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@Bluengel180 - I think you are referring to the structure in Bangalore. The structure in the accident pic does not look like a place of worship. Your location says Pune so got confused.
I think Blueangel is referring to the Pune accident only

Last edited by amitoj : 24th September 2011 at 07:26.
Old 26th September 2011, 17:32   #9294
Senior - BHPian

Second School bus tragedy in the same lake within an year

A school bus lost control and fell into the lake from a bridge near Kazhakkoottam, Kerala just now, killing 3 children. A very similar tragedy happened an year back, when 6 children lost their lives.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus.jpg

News here

We saw Ambulance and Fire trucks speeding from Technopark's fire & rescue office, when we went out for a tea an hour back. Never thought the reason would be such a tragedy.

Last edited by clevermax : 26th September 2011 at 17:37.
Old 26th September 2011, 17:47   #9295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Looks like an overtaking manouvere gone wrong. At night there are some heavy vehicles and buses on this road. Probably tried overtaking from left and crashed because the driver did not expect this monument in the middle of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The road has been widened till Shopper's stop & it is suddenly reduced to half near this structure, as it occupied half of the carriage width. Its high time the corporation wakes up & moves this structure or demarcate it properly (with reflectors or amber lights blinking all through night).
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I agree it definitely needs some reflective stickers on it.
I guess the accident would not have happened in the first place if the driver paid attention to that single thick white line at the bottom right of the first picture. But then it is probably too much for us to expect that, correct?

I do agree reflectors should be placed on the monument itself. In the day time, there are vehicles that use that extra space for parking/ double line parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
No seatbelts and overspeeding ofcourse are inexcusable. But that is one badly designed piece of road! Ok the monument can not be done away with but the least that can be done is make the road slowly and gradually become narrow enough as one gets closer to the wall.
Immediately after the monument in the same direction, there is a slum area which uses the extra road space for their goods/ vehicles and it is encroaching upon the driveable road space slowly but surely.
I think in a way that monument is protecting the slum dwellers from speeding vehicles.
Old 26th September 2011, 17:54   #9296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

I believe you are referring to 2 things here:

1. Where suddenly 3 lanes (Regular 2 lanes + third one merging alongside through an entry ramp/curve) becomes two without any indication whatsover.

2. Culverts near Mysore Road intersection and Kanakpura road intersection where the shoulder on left hand side vanishes all of a sudden.

I have been a regular on NICE - Bannerghatta Road - Tumkur Road and I can very much visualize what you are referring since it has happened to me as well.
With trucks trying to overtake each other at single digit speeds, shoulder often makes sense to pass them but more often if we are unlucky, we'll see an almost dead end.
Hence, even though I am aware of most of these risky spots, I am careful to slow down to almost 50-60kmph and then move to the shoulder, ensure that it is clear any obstacles and then attempt an overtaking maneuver.
Old 26th September 2011, 18:01   #9297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
With trucks trying to overtake each other at single digit speeds, shoulder often makes sense to pass them but more often if we are unlucky, we'll see an almost dead end.
Hence, even though I am aware of most of these risky spots, I am careful to slow down to almost 50-60kmph and then move to the shoulder, ensure that it is clear any obstacles and then attempt an overtaking maneuver.
With all due respect sir - you should never use the shoulder for overtaking. Ever.

On multi-laned roads, if you are stuck behind two trucks overtaking each other at 40 and 42 kmph respectively, please hang back until you get space to pass them in the driving lanes.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 18:09   #9298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
With all due respect sir - you should never use the shoulder for overtaking. Ever.

On multi-laned roads, if you are stuck behind two trucks overtaking each other at 40 and 42 kmph respectively, please hang back until you get space to pass them in the driving lanes.
I take your advice KiloAlpha. Usually, the shoulders of our regular highways aren't that wide and I never ever dare to overtake from the shoulders. It is only on NICE road that I attempt this at very safe speeds.

For instance, I do drive Bangalore-Pune regularly but I can assure you that I have never attempted to overtake from shoulder (even if certain spots permit).
Old 26th September 2011, 18:16   #9299
BANNED

Sorry but duh! But What is a highway shoulder?

--Ragul
Old 26th September 2011, 18:23   #9300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Sorry but duh! But What is a highway shoulder?

--Ragul
See the attached pic. Red arrow marks the shoulder. Green arrows mark the 4 driving lanes.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-m25_large.jpg  

KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks