Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2011, 22:23   #7786
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I don't know much about petrol cars' gearing but the speedo and RPM don't seem to match. Even my diesel VDi does 130 at 3200 RPM or such. How can the VXi do the exact same? Shouldn't it be at a higher RPM?
Old 30th March 2011, 23:14   #7787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I don't know much about petrol cars' gearing but the speedo and RPM don't seem to match. Even my diesel VDi does 130 at 3200 RPM or such. How can the VXi do the exact same? Shouldn't it be at a higher RPM?
,Hitanshu bhai,What do you think,after such an impact,would the needle be stuck at the Exact RPM the engine was running at the time of crash???
Old 31st March 2011, 00:02   #7788
BHPian

Very likely it hit rear side corner of a stationary truck
Old 31st March 2011, 01:10   #7789
Senior - BHPian

Note from the support team: Post deleted. Reduce the picture size and post again. Thanks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st March 2011 at 18:19.
Old 31st March 2011, 06:58   #7790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Thats real bad, hope there were no casualities.
OT Btw did you guys notice the Z4 zipping by?
That Swift Dzire is so brutal and so gruesome that I just couldn't see anything else on those pics until you pointed out. These pics would scare the hell out of me every time I take the car out from now. But then, it would also help by making me be a more sensible and responsible driver when on road. All said and done, the following statement is true - "Speed Thrills, But Kills".
Old 31st March 2011, 08:14   #7791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Prepare to be shocked, baffled and completely unnerved. Spotted on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Speedometer stuck at 130 kph could mean that accident was at 150 - 160 (if not over). We can presume he shed some speed before the jolt caused the speedometer to end up stuck.
Even the chassis is bent!!

Just because the car can touch 130+ speeds with ease doesn't mean it's safe at that speeds. With those thin profile tyres he would have need at least 60-80 metres to come to a standstill from that speed.
Old 31st March 2011, 08:45   #7792
BHPian

@phamilyman: As GTO has pointed out, it was not the rpm of the engine at the time of accident. It would have been higher. By sudden braking, both the vehicle speed and rpm would have come down. The rpm would have come down speedily than the speed of the car.

A real Ghory accident ! Hope people inside survived with injuries !
Old 31st March 2011, 10:06   #7793
BHPian

The Dzire accident is really shocking. The picture of the stuck speedometer sends a chill down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
These pics would scare the hell out of me every time I take the car out from now. But then, it would also help by making me be a more sensible and responsible driver when on road. All said and done, the following statement is true - "Speed Thrills, But Kills".
Very true. This thread has had such an impact on me. Last weekend I made a round trip of nearly 1000 Kms and I kept my speeds in check through out. In fact, even my mother commented that I am driving too slow! For once, a comment like that actually made me feel good.
This thread is actually saving lives and we will never get to know how many it has saved till now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
@phamilyman: As GTO has pointed out, it was not the rpm of the engine at the time of accident. It would have been higher.
Another possibility is the driver might have pressed the clutch while braking and even that could have reduced the rpm. Before the engine could reach idling rpm the impact might have taken place.
Old 31st March 2011, 10:40   #7794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Very true. This thread has had such an impact on me. Last weekend I made a round trip of nearly 1000 Kms and I kept my speeds in check through out. In fact, even my mother commented that I am driving too slow! For once, a comment like that actually made me feel good.
This thread is actually saving lives and we will never get to know how many it has saved till now
Seriously, this thread just reinforces the fact that we all are mere mortals in the hands of nature. I second your opinion that this thread would surely be saving lives.
Old 31st March 2011, 10:46   #7795
BANNED

A very sobering event and "educational" for us all. I have realized that there is a stress vs enjoyment curve I need to be aware of while driving. After 80-90 the amount of positive stress (one that helps) drops off sharply and the negative stress picks up and I cease to relax and enjoy the drive - it becomes more of an artificial and contrived challenge to oneself about how fast I can go. The amount of extra concentration I have to summon to watch the road also kills the relaxed "holiday moment" to relish continuously on a long drive. Everything else around - all the wonderful scenery , mountains, the lovely clouds in contrasty skies becomes a "blurry distraction" and I have to keep my eyes on the road for dear life.

The pic of the Dezire has rubbed in a strong lesson to stay within the enjoyment curve and drop the desire to push harder.

--Ragul
Old 31st March 2011, 10:52   #7796
Senior - BHPian

Still not clear what the Dzire met with. Seems to me like a meterorite fall or something. A frontal impact so hard to bend the chasis the way it did is baffaling.
Old 31st March 2011, 10:58   #7797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
btw, is the Mumbai-Pune expressway that dangerous to drive on?
Actually, it is VERY nice road to drive on. That precisely makes people forget about the capability of the car, other road users, safety of their own and others lives.
The road is wonderful to anyone keeping sane speeds.
Old 31st March 2011, 10:58   #7798
BHPian

The impact looks more likely with some stationary big truck or this dzire just went under the truck at that high speed. Scary pics indeed.
Old 31st March 2011, 11:01   #7799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Still not clear what the Dzire met with. Seems to me like a meterorite fall or something. A frontal impact so hard to bend the chasis the way it did is baffaling.
Look at the crease on the bonnet, front left.
Looks like it can be alligned to the underbody of a truck.
I think he might have hit a broken down/stationary truck.
at 130+, not so baffling, really.
But, Geez!!!!
Old 31st March 2011, 12:53   #7800
Senior - BHPian

Isn't it unusual to see speedo and tacho stuck? Does it happen in other cars too or is it a one-off case? The wreckage is very scary. Wonder what might have happened to the occupants.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks