Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 23:56   #7906
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

If you run into the vehicle in front, however unlikely it seemed to you that they should just stop, it is not their fault, it is yours.
That is it.
But even many literate guys who rams into the vehicle in front thinks and argues vociferously that the driver of the vehicle in front who braked is at fault.

What do they think; any one before braking in an emergency should first warn the one who tails before applying brakes?
It is for the one behind to drive cautiously and leave adequate space in between depending on his vehicle's braking distance and his reflex quotient.

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th April 2011 at 23:59.
Old 16th April 2011, 00:32   #7907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post

He has not said anything about any driver doing any form of zig-zag activity. He means to say what he has quoted, let's not get into decoding!

Drive safe everyone! Cheers!!
Marcus, I myself was in such a situation some time back. When I was driving on a highway near Salem at around 7 PM, I tried overtaking an Omni. I started overtaking after flashing my lights couple of times and honking and the Omni moved to the middle lane giving me enough space. After I overtook him till the driver's door, this fool wanted to over take an ape truck in front of him. I am still clueless how dumb can that guy be to move to the right lane & overtake when someone is already overtaking him !! The Omni had 8 passengers in it [fully loaded] and I had to slam the brakes to avoid an almost sure collision. Also take note that I had zero space to move the car to the right as I already was next to the median. Had something gone wrong, I would have been seen as the culprit since I was overtaking!!

In such a situation where I am not even at fault, I would not like someone telling me that I should have been more careful in overtaking - I dont think its fair to make a comment like that. And I found Clevermax to be in the very same situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

If you run into the vehicle in front, however unlikely it seemed to you that they should just stop, it is not their fault, it is yours.
Completely agree from a theoretical point of view. But at times its not exactly the fault of the driver behind. My Brother in law who is a very sedate driver once met with an accident abroad! The reason was that some guy who was in the front, suddenly cut lane and came across a fast moving car and went ahead. Because of this, the car which was in front of my BIL braked hard - and my BIL's car went and smashed into the back though he tried well to stop it [the road was wet and the tyres locked I guess]. Though it was the mistake of someone else, my BIL was considered the culprit.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th April 2011 at 00:39.
Old 16th April 2011, 01:39   #7908
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Completely agree from a theoretical point of view. But at times its not exactly the fault of the driver behind. My Brother in law who is a very sedate driver once met with an accident abroad! The reason was that some guy who was in the front, suddenly cut lane and came across a fast moving car and went ahead. Because of this, the car which was in front of my BIL braked hard - and my BIL's car went and smashed into the back though he tried well to stop it [the road was wet and the tyres locked I guess]. Though it was the mistake of someone else, my BIL was considered the culprit.
Well, it is his fault.

Agreed, the road was wet and the brakes locked-up. But in such situations, one must go that extra mile by observing more space between you and the car in front of you.

Anticipation is the key here.

One must anticipate all the time. You must be ready for anything to happen while on the road. It may sound tedious, but once you start following this method, you automatically become a safe driver, and subconsciously, you would slow down in anticipation.

While approaching a corner, for example, one must assume that there is someone around the corner and slow down, even if there is no one. Similarly, when you're driving on a straight road, you must understand the conditions of the road, the speed of the vehicles around you, and accordingly observe a comfortable gap between you and the driver in front of you. This practice might be stressful, but let me tell you one thing, it beats meeting with accidents any day!

And remember, even the safest drivers can meet with accidents.
Old 16th April 2011, 02:22   #7909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
What was wrong with that guy???? Did you him when you could overtake him (if you could, finally) ????
Mods: I think this post belongs in the "How do you spot a bad driver" thread.
Arkin sir - It wasn't about the Indica clevermax was trying to overtake, it was the moron who made a flash appearance from one of the side roads without looking out. Checkout the 38th second on the video, one moron (probably a qualis) peeks into the high speed road. Good job by clevermax to avoid ramming into him. and still kept his cool (from the audio - there was no screaming/swearing etc)
Old 16th April 2011, 11:01   #7910
BHPian

I don't understand why the car/driver emerging from the compound/lane is being called a moron!?!?

I don't think he is at fault.
Old 16th April 2011, 11:31   #7911
Senior - BHPian

Guys, request you to show some restraint here.

The thread is specifically meant to be about pics of Accident, the thread is not for discussing what is the right way of driving and what not.

The discussion that we are having for last few days is anything but the Accident pics.
If you need to discuss about the right way of driving etc. Just look for appropriate thread and post your discussion there.

Mods: Request your intervention here.
Old 16th April 2011, 11:37   #7912
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Arkin sir - It wasn't about the Indica clevermax was trying to overtake, it was the moron who made a flash appearance from one of the side roads without looking out. Checkout the 38th second on the video, one moron (probably a qualis) peeks into the high speed road. Good job by clevermax to avoid ramming into him. and still kept his cool (from the audio - there was no screaming/swearing etc)

I do not agree.

No one is right or wrong here. Clevermax was doing the right thing by concentrating on the road while driving and overtaking. The person who made a 'flash appearance' isn't wrong in any way. He would have been wrong if he had actually driven onto the road, but it's quite apparent that he had stopped completely. Honestly, what else could he have done?

He wanted to drive into the main road and, he, probably being a sensible driver, decided to stop and check to see if the coast was clear. Clevermax braked hard because he, as a regular driver, is mentally trained to brake, by reflex. It was almost instantaneous.

Put yourself in his position for a second and you'll realize that he must have felt that Clevermax was the 'moron' for trying to pull off an overtaking maneuver like that. But the fact of the matter is that, neither the guy, nor Clevermax was in the wrong.
Old 16th April 2011, 14:06   #7913
Senior - BHPian

I have been observing a burnt up M800 at the Katai toll naka (right before the toll booth when going from Shil to Dombivli. The rear tyres are the only parts not burnt. Rest everything else has been gutted.

Last week, spotted two trucks with broken front axles at Gandhinagar flyover (just where the flyover starts when coming from IIT towards the Eastern Express Highway), on consecutive days. Wonder what could be the reason for the same, as it's not exactly an accident spot.

Today morning I saw another truck having taken the road divider squarely on its (the truck's, I mean) chin. The chin, I mean the front axle, was done for. But surprisingly the truck remained straight. I would have expected a high speed impact right at the divider wall where it starts would have caused the truck to sway about, but nope. This was on the road from Mahape to Shil.
Old 17th April 2011, 02:19   #7914
BHPian

Reminds me of this video (yes..its kind of related to the topic)
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2011, 06:34   #7915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Reminds me of this video (yes..its kind of related to the topic)
I dissagree to the pedestrian crossing episode. The video shows that the pedsetrian is crossing on the marked crossing area. It does not happen that way. They can cross anywhere anytime regardless and w/o checking for traffic. They are shown as saints in the video
Old 17th April 2011, 12:11   #7916
BHPian

And then they pin it on you like in the Ceat tyres commercial!!
Old 17th April 2011, 15:06   #7917
Senior - BHPian

Now only I realized that a retrospective is going on about the video I posted!

Friends, I am not blaming the Indica driver nor the 1100 driver who made a sudden appearance in front of me while overtaking. My only intention was to show a potential accident scenario, so that we could be more careful and anticipative about such situations when we drive. Adding to what Suhas pointed out, put yourself in the shoes of other drivers in it - this would be helpful to realize what kind of a situation was that.

Indica driver didn't drive zig-zag, it appears so because of me swerving suddenly to the left.

The video appears a little dark, but it was much brighter with the headlamps. The wheels got locked momentarily but then I pumped the brakes and applied right amount of braking soon enough, so car was in control. (ABS + EBD can be life saving in such situations, but this car didn't have both)

Sorry for being off-topic. May be we could continue this discussion here because my earlier post has been moved to that thread.

Last edited by clevermax : 17th April 2011 at 15:17.
Old 19th April 2011, 08:57   #7918
BHPian

Bangalore, 19th April 2011: Today Morning on the road from ITPL to KRPuram, there was an accident. A two-wheeler rider without pillion seemed to have been sideswiped by a 6-tonne truck. Seems to have happened around 8 AM. The two wheeler rider was without a helmet, I guess. His upper torso was quite badly smashed. What looked like internals seemed to be spread out around him. Even if I had taken photos, I am not sure I would have posted. It was too gory.

I hope the learning curve for two-wheeler users is faster, when it comes to road safety, and we see lesser accidents in the coming times.

Not-so-Cheers,
Jagan.
Old 19th April 2011, 09:38   #7919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post

I hope the learning curve for two-wheeler users is faster, when it comes to road safety, and we see lesser accidents in the coming times.

Not-so-Cheers,
Jagan.
@Jagan - The problem I see with 2 wheeler rides (majority) of them is that they refuse to take responsibility for their life. They expect other vehicles to brake to save themselves. It doesn't have to be the case here.

I wish we could do something about road safety in general and something specific for 2 wheelers

Hope people learn and learn quick
Old 19th April 2011, 10:00   #7920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
They expect other vehicles to brake to save themselves.
I think this is true not just for 2-wheeler drivers but others as well. I think this is the "guiding principle" behind most of the overtaking maneuvers in our country.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks