Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 09:43   #8356
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Most of the lorries do not have any working tail lamps/reflectors. Several occassions, trying to avoid such vehicles stopped at nowhere leads to accidents. My recent experience was while traveling in a Kallada multi axle bus last month, the driver suddenly tried to avoid such a lorry and as a result two-three passengers fell of their seats! Thanks, the driver was able to control the vehicle without much issues.
Old 8th June 2011, 10:10   #8357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Holy cow! Thats bad! Who is/was the reputed builder ?
The builder was Mr.Vimal Kumar Jain. Not sure which company he owned.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 10:26   #8358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
The builder was Mr.Vimal Kumar Jain. Not sure which company he owned.
He was the MD of Kumar Properties in Pune (very reputed real estate company). Below is further info (courtesy Pune Mirror)

Tragedy revisits the Jains, News - City - Pune Mirror,Pune Mirror

Tragedy has revisited the Jain family. Previously, Vimalkumar lost his close relative in a road mishap that took place in Gujarat two years ago in June. Two youths from the family — Vinit and Vinita Jain — drowned in the waters of Panshet dam last year in July. The brother and sister were boating at the dam when their speedboat capsized.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 10:41   #8359
Distinguished - BHPian

Real tragedy. The picture in the newspapers is horrendous:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg

Times of India blithely reports that the truck driver "lost control on the...overbridge (and) went over the road divider and hit the motorcycle and the car".

One look at the pic and you can imagine what speed the truck guy was doing. "Lost control" doesn't begin to cover it. An eyewitness is quoted as saying, "In an attempt to overtake a vehicle on the bridge, (the truck driver) lost control and rashed into the motorcyle and the car".

That is just wrong on so many levels.

RIP.
Old 8th June 2011, 10:54   #8360
BHPian

Even with all these accidents and near misses, i have not seen any action from the authorities to check the menace.

Or is it that the government decided to leave everyone to their fate ?

All heavy vehicles seems to be driven by weak and frail looking young men, with either alcohol or some pan inside them, slightly wonky and rushing as much they can. And god knows for what.

I am really getting scary. Waiting for bus at Madiwala (Bangalore) stop would help everyone understand how rash and rude the buses are driven. Driving in any highway is a nightmare with every one playing dashing cars !

Spotted these two accidents recently. The trailer was ahead of us and was on extreme right of the road with just one red light. Seems like driver slept off, but was complaining about mechanical failure. I found everything in tact, i could be wrong as well.

The second one did not hit anything, turned sideways, what was he trying to do ?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_8886.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_8890.jpg  

Old 8th June 2011, 11:03   #8361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
One look at the pic and you can imagine what speed the truck guy was doing. "Lost control" doesn't begin to cover it. An eyewitness is quoted as saying, "In an attempt to overtake a vehicle on the bridge, (the truck driver) lost control and rashed into the motorcyle and the car". That is just wrong on so many levels. RIP.
The RTO should make it mandatory for all such tankers, dumpers, tippers to be fitted with speed governors, that wouldn't let them cross the speed limit of 40kmph, even if they wish so.

I stay within 3 kms of the accident spot & off late this flyover has become very notorious for accidents. Few weeks back a container had toppled & blocked the complete carriage width of the 4-lane bridge. The divider on this bridge is too low (less than half a foot), making the traffic in opposite direction very vulnerable to such incidents
Old 8th June 2011, 11:17   #8362
Senior - BHPian

Today seems to be a day of accidents in Pune. First, the news of the MD of Kuamr Properties, then one accident on the bypass and the third opposite Wipro office in Phase 2 Hinjewadi.

The last one was a lovely Black Linea that looks like its been totalled. By the looks of it, the Linea has turned into a Punto! No boot left whatsoever! It was that bad a rear ending.
Old 8th June 2011, 11:34   #8363
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this at peak hours at Queen's circle on 6th June? Not surecase of of brake failure or rash driving.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00196.jpg  

Old 8th June 2011, 12:03   #8364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
One look at the pic and you can imagine what speed the truck guy was doing. "Lost control" doesn't begin to cover it. An eyewitness is quoted as saying, "In an attempt to overtake a vehicle on the bridge, (the truck driver) lost control and rashed into the motorcyle and the car".
From the pic, it can also be said that the Merc probably was also speeding. Infact it's more likely of the two. High relative speeds and the truck probably landed on top of the Merc instead of crashing into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The RTO should make it mandatory for all such tankers, dumpers, tippers to be fitted with speed governors, that wouldn't let them cross the speed limit of 40kmph, even if they wish so.
The trucks also need to be on national highways where a speed of 40kmph is dangerous when others (most likely cars/SUVs) tend to be at least twice that speed. This cannot be the solution. What would be helpful is mandatory fitness check of the truck and the driver. From a TV program I saw some years ago, a good percentage of our truck drivers had bad to no vision in 1 eye. How many truck drivers how you seen wearing glasses?

Last edited by asr245 : 8th June 2011 at 12:06.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:15   #8365
Senior - BHPian

KPN Bus accident near Vellore

I had posted in the other thread on intercity buses.

The Hindu : Front Page : 23 burnt to death as private bus bound for Pollachi overturns near Vellore

The bus which was involved in the accident near Kaveripakkam. It was an A/c sleeper bus to Pollachi from Chennai belonging to KPN Travels. The diesel tank exploded under impact leading to the entire bus getting gutted in no time. Apparently as per the Police IG two lorries were involved in an accident in front of the bus, the driver wanting to avoid these lorries steered left, lost control of the bus which hit a bridge and fell onto the ditch. Except for the driver and one passenger all others perished in the accident. May the souls rest in peace. Just goes to show how dangerous our highways are, you are never in control of your destiny, how ever careful you are.

Image courtesy : Dinamalar.

Old 8th June 2011, 12:16   #8366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
But these news channels are just not talking about how this accident could have been avoided. Why couldn't the bus driver spot the broken down trucks?
Nobody reports on how accidents actually happen. "Lost control" is almost a synonym for "fate did it". How often does a person actually loose control of a vehicle? Cornering too fast (driver's fault anyway) or slippery surface that could not be seen. Lost control is just a cop out.
Quote:
Because the trucks had no functioning tail lights or hazard lights. Why can't the law hold them responsible, instead of the bus driver?
Because driving into something is the driver's fault. Always.

If the road is dark, or the curve is blind, the answer is to go slow --- not to blame the thing that you hit.
Quote:
The trucks also need to be on national highways where a speed of 40kmph is dangerous
How can going slow be dangerous? With correct lane discipline, it would improve safety.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th June 2011 at 12:18.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 13:08   #8367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
This Linea belongs to one Sriram who HIT & RUN one (Bhpian) Mr Gagan's Dzire, after tailgating it on the elavated tollway.
Thanks for posting.
EDIT: Fan photos from Bangalore Traffic Police | Facebook
This guy has already got his car repaired (not via insurance). The hole in his pocket is around 30K.

What about the cost of the repairs of your friend's car?
Old 8th June 2011, 13:17   #8368
Senior - BHPian

Volvo's a/c coaches which once used to be accessible only to ones trained and certified by volvo are now being driven by nincompoops who do not know the difference between a bicycle, motorbike, car and a bus.

Day in and day out I see these volvo buses of various travels driven pretty rashly around. With great power comes great responsibility, the powerful engines of volvo with power steering would sure make the bus a monster, but that does not mean they could be driven irresponsibly.

The other day I was taking my pregnant wife to hospital and saw this volvo being driven into me at high speeds. I was doing steady speeds, he did not honk nor did he flashed lights, he took a sharp sway to left overtook me and cut me to merge back into the right lane, he did the same and got stuck on left lane and so had to encounter him again! And I did not know what in devil's name got into his head he just swayed right into my lane and I was shell shocked. I cannot brake too hard for my wife, I just manged somehow gave a left indicator and pulled on to the shoulder and waited for 5 minutes before I left! If that driver made it to Mumbai it is only due to pure chance!
Old 8th June 2011, 13:26   #8369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How can going slow be dangerous? With correct lane discipline, it would improve safety.
Doing 40kmph where everyone is at 100kmph is dangerous anywhere in the world. I am sure you are aware that in most western countries you also have a min speed limit in highways/freeways/motorways. I know for a fact that in US where they have a max speed limit of 65mph they also have a min speed limit of 40mph.

And with correct lane discipline we probably won't need speed governor's at 40kmph.
Old 8th June 2011, 16:25   #8370
BHPian

This accident happened Saturday early morning on intermediate ring road Bangalore opposite to Dell office. The car has been rammed from behind. I did not stop so could not figure out how it happened, already there were enough people gathered. But to my surprise I could not spot the vehicle which had hit, I guess fled!
(I could not post this as uploading via edge was failing - I use the iPhone app)
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks