Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2015, 15:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sub-15 lakh cars with 6 Airbags in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
As per the Ford specs, the 1.5L Petrol AT doesn't have Side & Curtain Airbags.
I have a 1.5 Petrol AT which is a Titanium model with 6 Air bags. Check Specs here http://www.india.ford.com/suv/ecospo...ol-titanium-at It is the 1.5 Petrol Titanium MT which comes without 6 Airbags and ABS.

Another dumb feature that the AT has and MT doesn't is that the Hazards come on when you brake hard enough for ABS to be activated, or begin a skid which ASR controls.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 14th August 2015 at 15:16.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 15:19   #32
BHPian

All this talk is fine.. I was also very impressed with the specs there...
But when even the epitome of Reliability (read Toyota) faces Airbag deployment failures, I wonder whether all these Spec Sheets makes any practical impact..?

But yes, If I have to gamble, i will gamble on the side of caution and buy a variant with as much Safety gizmos that I can afford.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 15:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
A very good point. This makes me raise a very basic question - As a customer, can I figure out via physical examination if the car is sound from structural integrity perspective. Does it have Crumple Zones, Side Impact Protection and Strong occupant compartment? If not, how do we determine this aspect unless revealed or advertised by manufacturer? Can technical people figure this out and post as part of review?
I don't think we can figure that out with physical examination. We must have a proper crash test program. The government had indicated that it will put one in place but it will probably take a few years to be implemented.
JonSnow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 15:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
I don't think we can figure that out with physical examination. We must have a proper crash test program. The government had indicated that it will put one in place but it will probably take a few years to be implemented.
Exactly,
Thats where the crash test is important. We cant rely on the thickness of steel used or the built quality ( fit n finish or panel gaps etc) when it comes to saftey. Proper crumble zones, Passenger compartments, impact strengthening etc are the deciders and only a good crash test can quantify it.

Its great to know that our Govt is finally putting that in place even its already late. I hope the manufacturesr will take it positievely and value their customers life over the profits they can make.

And advertising as 5* saftey rating is way more aspirational than all those fancy gizmos (atleast for me)

Asish
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 15:37   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
I have a 1.5 Petrol AT which is a Titanium model with 6 Air bags. Check Specs here http://www.india.ford.com/suv/ecospo...ol-titanium-at It is the 1.5 Petrol Titanium MT which comes without 6 Airbags and ABS.

Another dumb feature that the AT has and MT doesn't is that the Hazards come on when you brake hard enough for ABS to be activated, or begin a skid which ASR controls.

Rahul
I was talking about the Figo Aspire
Old 14th August 2015, 16:13   #36
BHPian

Food for thought thread! We are here talking about 6 Airbags on the top variants of cars. That is excellent for the safety conscious folk! And kudos to Ford and Hyundai for offering the same.

But how many 'top spec' versions actually get sold and reach the road using public? Very few. Volume of sales for any model comes from the base and mid variants, doesn't it!

As far as I'm concerned, the more important question would be - Which manufacturer/model sells their cars with Airbags on even their base variant, rather than who sells with more airbags on only their top variant. Rather, which manufacturer has the balls to say, "Look, if you're buying my car, it has to be with Airbags" rather than, "If you want 6 airbags, we have them on our menu, although you could also buy a cheaper one with none"!

As far as I know, It is only Volkswagen who does that in the price bracket in question. The previous generation Jazz had airbags standard on all variants, but Honda seems to have quit that club with the new Jazz. Fellow BHPians are welcome to contribute other manufacturers/models who don't allow customers to buy cars without airbags.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 16:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I think the Polo and Vento Tsi should be added as well.

They don't come with 6 airbags, but I think these are the only one's in the segment along with the Ford ecosport AT to offer ESP,traction control and other (now common) safety aids like ABS and dual airbags.

Given our driving conditions, its a very important safety feature in a car.

Edit: Kudos to Ford in pricing the Aspire so well. The top end diesel retails for 10.x lakhs here in bangalore and I think is the first car at the price point to offer 6 airbags.
The Ford Fiesta also offers TCS and ESP along with airbags so the Polo/vento aren't alone.
Old 14th August 2015, 19:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the more important question would be - Which manufacturer/model sells their cars with Airbags on even their base variant, rather than who sells with more airbags on only their top variant. Rather, which manufacturer has the balls to say, "Look, if you're buying my car, it has to be with Airbags" rather than, "If you want 6 airbags, we have them on our menu, although you could also buy a cheaper one with none"!

As far as I know, It is only Volkswagen who does that in the price bracket in question.
If I am not mistaken both Mahindra XUV and Toyota Liva have dual airbags across all variants.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 19:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread. But shouldn't we first think about dual airbags in all cars across variants as the first step?

Unless the government enforces it, the car manufacturers will sell model variants without airbags as our market is price sensitive. <Damn>

You can never equate life to money, so it's best to have six/seven airbags in all cars.

Got to say, I'm impressed with ford's variants in their car line up.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 20:10   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post

As far as I know, It is only Volkswagen who does that in the price bracket in question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
If I am not mistaken both Mahindra XUV and Toyota Liva have dual airbags across all variants.
VW and Toyota have airbags as standard across their product range. Basically they do not sell a model/variant in India that does not have airbags. Commendable, especially for Toyota Liva, which is B segment car.

Ford offers airbags standard in the Aspire and I would assume would do the same with the Ecosport refresh.

Maruti S-Cross is the only Maruti with atleast one airbag as standard(The base version gets only passenger airbag)

As you mentioned, Honda has taken a step backwards with respect to airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
The Ford Fiesta also offers TCS and ESP along with airbags so the Polo/vento aren't alone.
I don't think the Fiesta offers it any more. ESP and TCS were only available in the Fiesta AT variant which is not being sold any more.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 20:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I don't think the Fiesta offers it any more. ESP and TCS were only available in the Fiesta AT variant which is not being sold any more.
I drove a facelifted Titanium Diesel and it did come with ESP. Also,the third gen City came with airbags in every variant along with ABS,much before VW started offering those in the Vento.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 20:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drove a facelifted Titanium Diesel and it did come with ESP. Also,the third gen City came with airbags in every variant along with ABS,much before VW started offering those in the Vento.
Diesel Fiesta does not and never did come with traction and stability control these were only offered on the 1.5dualclutch petrol version. What makes you say the car you drove is equipped like so?
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 20:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Diesel Fiesta does not and never did come with traction and stability control these were only offered on the 1.5dualclutch petrol version. What makes you say the car you drove is equipped like so?
The sales rep said so,and I was already of the impression that it does have ESP but the e brochure says otherwise. I guess he really had no clue about the car.
Old 14th August 2015, 20:56   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could not find a reference to it in the brochure also. Are you referring to EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution) which is different from ESP (Electronic Stability Program)

Honda used to offer airbags as standard in the City.Even in the Jazz Airbags were standard. But they do not offer it any more. So while others are taking a step forward, Honda has taken a step back with respecting to providing airbags across all variants.
Old 14th August 2015, 20:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Could not find a reference to it in the brochure also. Are you referring to EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution) which is different from ESP (Electronic Stability Program)

Honda used to offer airbags as standard in the City.Even in the Jazz Airbags were standard. But they do not offer it any more. So while others are taking a step forward, Honda has taken a step back with respecting to providing airbags across all variants.
I was referring to stability control but like I said in the previous post,it seems like the Sales guy was mistaken and I didn't have a look at the brochure untill now. Anyways, it still is a cracker of a car. The Jazz did offer airbags but at a very heavy premium. The I20 would get you six of those for similar money.

Last edited by Doge : 14th August 2015 at 21:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks