Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:03   #16
BHPian

re: My experience of helping an accident victim. UPDATE: He'll make a complete recovery!

Good work NiInja, A noble one.
have been to that stretch a couple of times, that really is a steep one.
Prayers for the child.
INJAXN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:05   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My experience of helping an accident victim. UPDATE: He'll make a complete recovery!

God bless you man - a very noble cause! Personally, I may have stumbled at that time, but liked your statement - think less and do more at times.

I really hope the boy lives a healthy long life. His dad may have paid a very heavy price for his callousness.

Take the car to a very reputed cleaner. Give them a heads up on the problem in case they want to be prepared with any additional equipment / materials. Hope they erase the bad 'blood stain'ed memories & restore the good ones (helping the victim).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd May 2016 at 18:07.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the act. It indeed is difficult to take quick decisions in such cases, but it does save lives.

My own experience, one incident only, has been the hospitals usually treat the patients. I once helped an injured truck driver to a hospital. En route I stopped at a nursing home too to see if they could treat him. The nursing home was on the first floor. A nurse came down and inspected the injured, asked a few questions to determine the seriousness of the injury and then asked me to take him to a bigger hospital nearby.

The bigger hospital in question took him in immediately and started treating him. He was not very seriously injured, it seems.

Since it was an accident that burnt up two trucks, with the driver of the other truck perishing at the wheel, cops too arrived at the hospital. We offered our names and contact numbers, which were probably not needed. One of the cops actually thanked me and we left.

So the scene may not be that bad.

And about safe driving, unfortunately people prefer to learn from experience, usually their own.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:14   #19
BHPian

Thank you Ninja for saving that kid's life! You did a commendable job! I am from Pune and I know the accident spot you described.
The highway bridge and joining roads are live examples of jugaadu work done by authorities without any thoughts put in on safety and rules.

Heck why every step by authorities has to take so many lives before they act?
The thought of my loved ones in that auto in same situation shudders me.

Also when you meet that driver, educate him, make him swear on his kids not to act foolish henceforth and follow all traffic rules.

OT : several times this thought has crossed my mind. Are we allowed to construct a speed breaker or say a divider on the road at such spots, paying from own pocket to avoid such incidents? Can I do that without taking any body's permission?

Last edited by StepUP! : 2nd May 2016 at 19:17.
StepUP! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:20   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
.......Are we allowed to construct a speed breaker or say a divider on the road at such spots, paying from own pocket to avoid such incidents? Can I do that without taking any body's permission?
Nobody except the jurisdictional municipality/public works dept. of the area are legally allowed to do stuff like that, so stay well clear of such ideas.

What makes you so sure it will help avoid anything anyway? Ill-designed, badly placed and unmarked speed-breakers injure/maim/kill plenty of motorists in this country everyday. Adding more death-traps to an already badly designed road/intersection isn't the brightest safety idea, is it?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Nobody except the jurisdictional municipality/public works dept. of the area are legally allowed to do stuff like that, so stay well clear of such ideas.

What makes you so sure it will help avoid anything anyway? Ill-designed, badly placed and unmarked speed-breakers injure/maim/kill plenty of motorists in this country everyday. Adding more death-traps to an already badly designed road/intersection isn't the brightest safety idea, is it?
Yes I am sure it will avoid few if not all accidents. Like in this incident, had there been a speed breaker, that auto guy might have slowed down on the slope. All vehicles will slow down before merging on to highway traffic at this spot.

We do slow down before a spot where we already know there is a speed breaker even if the stretch is empty. Don't we?
Also places where people push in their bikes dangerously through broken dividers. Won't it help to thwart such efforts and avoid further casualties?
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

@NiInJa

I applaud you for helping to save a couple of strangers lives
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 20:32   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Well done, NiInJa; very well done. Whatever happens, you have done your best.

Hoping the boy will recover and his parents will be ok.

Some of us on this forum are fond of going on about how dangerous bikes are, but sometimes, when I sit in s speeding auto, I look at the soft top, the hard steel edges, protruding screws inches from my knees... and worry. I have sometimes thought of owning a private one as an about-town vehicle, but that would make a joke of my insisting on air bags, ABS and stuff in a car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 21:12   #24
Team-BHP Support

You have done a commendable job NiInJa! Saving a life is one of the best thing that one can do. Hope that boy gets healed both physically and mentally and does not get into post accident trauma.
I will share one incident that happened many years back. Three cars were returning from Delhi in 2005 May. I was in my Baleno and was not able to keep up with a rally prepared Esteem. By the time I had reached Barhi, the esteem had crossed Asansole. After sometime, we got a call from Kolkata that the Esteem had met an accident near Burdwan. We rushed to the spot and by the time we reached, one good samaritan had already transferred the victim to the nearest hospital. Unfortunately the guy passed away after 10 days of struggle. Many months after this incident, I was talking to my maternal uncle regarding rallying, suddenly he narrated an accident of a rally Esteem with stickers all around and how he had arrived on the spot to help the person. He said that several other cars had passed by without stopping. That day I realised that it was my uncle who had transported our friend to the hospital. My respect for him went up several notches that day. Same goes for you NiInJa.
BlackPearl is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 23:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Excellent job NiInJa. You may have saved the kid's life.
Just out of curiosity, the ABC's of first aid are - Airway, Breathing and Circulation. Along with inline stabilisation of the cervical spine. How did you ensure that the child's spine was protected and that he did not choke on his own blood or vomit or that he did not exsanguinate?
Do you carry equipment in your car that you may not unwittingly murder the accident victim?
I ask this because I've seen victims brought dead to the ER just because the attenders did not clear the mouth to enable breathing. Or with permanent paralysis of all 4 limbs because the victim was made to sit up with a cervical fracture.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 13:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post

Taking this day off from office and writing the post, hoping to get some more information on how the kid is doing, I still am not feeling satisfied for whatever efforts people took. Thanks for reading.
Its a great thing. Proud of you. You proved again, Humanity is still alive.

My prayers for a quick recovery of the boy.
Srikanthan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 13:20   #27
BANNED

Great Job Ninja! It proves that humanity is still alive! Damn that was a very scary situation. I had shivers going down my spine while reading this! Requires a lot of courage to witness the scene! God Bless you !!
mohammedismail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 13:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great job there. We need humans like you all around our cities.
#Respect

Let's pray that the boy who was seriously injured recovers well and lives a normal, healthy life.

Can't understand why people can't follow speed limits. They are put up for your benefit after studying the conditions of the road and traffic patterns.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 13:44   #29
BHPian

My heart is thumping after reading this post. Your act is proof enough that there are angels and why it still rains in this country.
I shudder to visualize the boy's state. Pray he recovers.
Venkatesh.C is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 14:03   #30
BHPian

Cool deed. Good that your seats were not bare biege fabric, though that wouldn't have mattered in the situation. News about innocent kids sustaining grave injuries of any kind, are deeply disturbing. Hope you are able to relieve bhpians with some good news about the kid.
crdi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks