Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2019, 08:33   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts

The long and short of it is that rear seat-belts seem stifling and kinda "idiotic" just because there is room to move about sideways in the back. I also admit that when we use the part-time driver and when I sit at the back, I rather spend my time stretching out, reading a magazine or kinda shifting about (we don't get that luxury when we're driving do we?) and as a result I don't buckle up at all.

I get that it has to be done, but I don't do it all the same, if it makes any sense.
Old 17th April 2019, 22:42   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I get that it has to be done, but I don't do it all the same, if it makes any sense.
It does not make sense, and is not safe for you or for others (including your paid driver) in the car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 13:04   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The long and short of it is that rear seat-belts seem stifling and kinda "idiotic" just because there is room to move about sideways in the back. I also admit that when we use the part-time driver and when I sit at the back, I rather spend my time stretching out, reading a magazine or kinda shifting about (we don't get that luxury when we're driving do we?) and as a result I don't buckle up at all.

I dont wish to requote this message but this would happen if you are not belted in the rear seat and are involved in an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaidhiR View Post

Last edited by bblost : 24th April 2019 at 15:25. Reason: removed embedded videos
Old 24th April 2019, 15:07   #94
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaidhiR View Post
I dont wish to requote this message but this would happen if you are not belted in the rear seat and are involved in an accident.
Unfortunately some people will never accept facts no matter the mountain the information put in front of them. That's why Experts create laws, specifications, regulations and are supposed to ensure that there are consequences if they are not followed.

The reason for every law does not need to be explained to everyone nor be up for debates. If people don't understand the reason for law that's setup by some science/ logic, that's too bad. But they just need to know that they will be penalized if they do not follow the rules. Another example was the rule for stopping before the line in India which people started following only after getting hit with challans. Money is the only language 100% of people understand.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 15:20   #95
BHPian

Took an Uber ride from Bangalore international Airport to home in March. I sat in the back seat of the Indica and reached for the seat-belt only to find that the buckle was missing. So i dug into the seat hoping that I will find it, but to no avail. i then got down and moved to the front seat only to find the seat-belt cut clean. Needless to say got out of the vehicle and cancelled the ride. The driver was not happy though, but i care too much for my own safety than his rants.

Drive was ranked 4.8 though; Passengers don't value their own safety, such cabs should be rated a mandatory 0 or 1.
silvercloud is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 17:13   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think that the necessity to use rear seat belts is at all obvious to anyone, even enthusiast drivers. Once upon a time, it was not obvious to me. It is something that needs to be learnt.
Old 11th May 2019, 01:28   #97
BHPian

Let me tell my experience with rear seat belts. In Feb first week, we (Me, wife, in laws and my little one) were returning home from dinner. My father in law is in front seat buckled and my wife in rear also buckled up. My baby is in rear facing child seat. My mother in law refused to buckle up as it was difficult for her to find the rear seat belt clip. I told her to buckle up but she didn't pay heed to my words.

When I was trying to merge into interstate the guy in front of me slammed the brakes as he took wrong exit. Since I had maintained some distance, I was able to stop my car by braking hard without hitting him. But very next second, I heard my mother in law's voice very next to my ear. She was pushed towards my seat and to avoid hitting the back of my seat she leaned over and her face very close to my ear. Thank god she didn't slide over towards the baby seat. Situation would have been worse if she tipped near the baby seat as it will be very dangerous for someone to fall over the baby.

Nowadays me and my wife politely tell her to fasten the seat belts. I understand that it is difficult to put that with child seat fixed and there were lot of dangling bits of child seat is also there. Even though my wife hates driving the car but she will never ignore the seat belts even in rear seat .
hema4saran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 03:24   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Close shaves or bumps that so obviously could have been actually nasty at higher speeds, have helped a lot of us learn and change. My seat-belt habit started in GB quite some time before it was required.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 13:20   #99
Senior - BHPian

This video demonstrates importance of seat belt.
airbus is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 01:30   #100
BHPian

Car passengers in back seat must wear seat belts as Delhi traffic Police has started to enforce the rule. It must be noted that since 2005 it was compulsory to wear rear seat belt.

Car passengers in back seat must wear seat belts, says Delhi Police
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 06:31   #101
BANNED

Here is something interesting I found on the front page of Delhi Edition of yesterday's (16th Jan) The Hindu:
Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts-delhi-rule.jpg
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 23:20   #102
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Here is something interesting I found on the front page of Delhi Edition of yesterday's (16th Jan) The Hindu:
Yes, I saw a similar thing here. https://www.indiatimes.com/trending/...dbkNRr5UlGK-RE

But, this is just funny! only west Delhi?

The only important thing in road safety is focus on where the risk is, but our cops focus, where easy money is!

If they want to check rear seat belts, then check on DND, or other stretches with relatively high speeds. These guys will stand at local junction corners and catch hold of people not wearing masks and seat belts at the rear. God give them sense!

While I completely support wearing rear seat belts, I wonder, what is the rule for say children, who may be at most risk, but still can't use rear seat-belts and child seats aren't really ideal in our small cars.
Old 19th January 2021, 00:07   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Is this supported by MV act? If yes, how come this implementation drive out of the blue. That too only in a part of the city.

My recent experience in Delhi is that the government wants to squeeze every last penny from citizens in the name of rules violation. First it was illogical fines for not wearing masks in cars, then creating an unnecessary rush for HSRP and now this. It’s getting hard to even breathe here (oh sorry that’s because of the severe air quality).

Apologies for the rant.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 17:34   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this ad in public interest, to highlight the risk that passengers in the rear seat have:

Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts-backseatbelt.png
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 22:21   #105
BHPian

Wearing of Seat Belt for rear seat occupants to be made mandatory as per News. Fine to be imposed for not wearing. Not sure if the driver has to pay or the occupants.

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/rea...d-5903791.html

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/fine...ndtv_topscroll

Regards
chandrda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks