Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2022, 23:08   #106
BHPian

Re: Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Wearing of Seat Belt for rear seat occupants to be made mandatory as per News. Fine to be imposed for not wearing. Not sure if the driver has to pay or the occupants.

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/rea...d-5903791.html
If the educated and well heeled section of society are breaking traffic laws, then no matter what new laws, fines are imposed nothing will change. This is more of behavioural issue which government should needs to address rather than taking knee jerk reaction.
Old 6th September 2022, 23:29   #107
BHPian

Seatbelts shouldn’t be mandatory, front or rear. If someone’s daft enough to not wear one I believe natural selection should be allowed to do it’s job unimpeded, their genes being left out of the future generations’ gene pool isn’t necessarily a negative in my opinion.
Old 6th September 2022, 23:50   #108
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Seatbelts shouldn’t be mandatory, front or rear. If someone’s daft enough to not wear one I believe natural selection should be allowed to do it’s job unimpeded, their genes being left out of the future generations’ gene pool isn’t necessarily a negative in my opinion.
Civilization is taught and not in genes, so I won't call it natural selection. I hope you were joking!

Back to topic: 4 on the back seat is very common in India, wonder what will they do for that, if back seat belt is made mandatory. And what about those Omni school vans, with 15 children? (don't know how parents do that!).

I've had such bitter demeaning exchanges and responses while recommending rear seat belts to some colleagues travelling on Yamuna expressway that I'm never recommending that to anyone again.

This should be made mandatory by law and let the law take its course like they did for front belts.

Quote:
Not sure if the driver has to pay or the occupants.
Exactly the point - most people in the rear have been so ignorant and arrogant that one has to wonder, whether driver has to pay the fine?

Last edited by SLK : 6th September 2022 at 23:52.
Old 7th September 2022, 07:14   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Wearing of Seat Belt for rear seat occupants to be made mandatory as per News. Fine to be imposed for not wearing. Not sure if the driver has to pay or the occupants.

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/rea...d-5903791.html

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/fine...ndtv_topscroll

Regards
Rear seat belts are mandatory with a fine of Rs 1000.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/india/not-wearing-seat-belt-on-rear-seat-will-invite-penality-nitin-gadkari-9139681.html/amp

From the article above
Quote:
Although not wearing a seat belt by passengers sitting in the rear seats attracts a fine of Rs 1,000 under Rule 138 (3) of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules (CMVR), most people are either unaware of this mandatory rule or just ignore them. Even traffic policemen seldom fine passengers sitting on rear seats for not wearing seat belts.
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 13:45   #110
Senior - BHPian

I remember countless taxi cabs (plying Mumbai-Pune), whose drivers, in the spirit of decorating their vehicles, modify the rear seating rendering the seat belts inaccessible.

When confronted, their initial sheepish response is "no one asks for it" which transforms into "not required" and finally settling at "there are no fines".

I am glad this rule has come in, however the enforcement will be difficult. Cops can mostly make out the front seat belts, but how will they recognize the rear seat belt not worn by passengers?

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th September 2022 at 13:46.
Old 14th October 2022, 17:37   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoever drives a motor vehicle without wearing a safety belt or carries passengers not wearing seat belts shall be punishable: Mumbai Police

Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts-ffbtu_aamaaotse.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 08:22   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Whoever drives a motor vehicle without wearing a safety belt or carries passengers not wearing seat belts shall be punishable: Mumbai Police

Attachment 2368150
https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le66032507.ece

Similar for Karnataka
Attached Thumbnails
Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts-img20221020wa0003.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th October 2022 at 08:24.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks