Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2020, 20:47   #1
BHPian

Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

Came across this news of superbike riders dodging cops and then posting a video on youtube to explain the churlish logic behind their action.

The rider blatantly ignores the cops asking him to pull over and then has the audacity to blame the cops for hitting him with a traffic cone in their attempt to stop him!

He is lucky the cops did not undertake more serious measures to stop him as they would have no idea as to the intentions of the riders. The riders could be criminals and not stopping for cops is an offense.

2 bikers dodge the cops while the 3rd is stopped. According to the 3rd rider the cops put a gun to his head and asked him to call the other 2 riders to come back, but finally let go of him after he paid 2K.

Was all this required if the fine to be paid was 2k? And from when did superbike riders become poor?

https://www.cartoq.com/kawasaki-ninj...-escapes-cops/

rakirank is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 20:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

I think police harassment is real and also well documented in our country. There have been several well documented cases in south India (Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kerala) where police stop and harass bikers wearing full gear and riding nice bikes. The cops indeed have no reason to whack the guy with a cone as that could prove to be fatal. Besides the idea that they might be criminals is absolute nonsense. Which criminal wears full gear, pays toll and rides a nearly 20 lakh bright green bike on the highway if they are actually trying to escape from the scene of a crime? I did not watch the whole video but I don't see any reason as to why the biker deserved having a traffic cone chucked onto him. Reasonable suspicion basis for stopping needs to be enforced in India otherwise police just get out on the weekends or whenever the weather suits them just to make some "collections" in my experience

PS: just because you own something expensive does not give the police the right to fine you whatever the fine amount may be. What is the reason for fining the last guy 2 thousand rupees? That the other riders escaped?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th September 2020 at 20:56.
IshaanIan is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 21:17   #3
BHPian

re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

PS: just because you own something expensive does not give the police the right to fine you whatever the fine amount may be. What is the reason for fining the last guy 2 thousand rupees? That the other riders escaped?
So are we saying just because some cops harass people its ok to not stop when you are asked to by cops? Can you imagine the state of lawlessness that will prevail.

If the riders did no wrong, why did they not heed the policemen and pullover? Is that not what we do when we are asked to stop?

Anyone that has been fined inappropriately can always take it up through the appropriate channels to get it revoked/addressed. Especially someone like the rider who has a youtube channel

Was it worth risking his life and that of the cops by evading them just to get away from a fine? Just wearing gear does not make you a proper rider, you need to follow the rules (whether you like it or not).

Please watch the video fully to appreciate my point of view.

Last edited by rakirank : 4th September 2020 at 21:18.
rakirank is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 21:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore, Stopping at a red light is considered dangerous by many 2-wheelers and few 4-wheelers. Especially in Yeshwanthpur, Peenya, etc.

When you stop at the red light well within the stop line, traffic Sub-inspector immediately start checking your number for violations while a constable comes to check your number plate, window tint, broken tail light, etc. Sometimes a random document or emissions check. Then if it's month end, allegations of jumping the previous red-light.

Now this happens only to the first and second row of vehicles. Truck drivers just shake hands with the constable, Unionized drivers like cabs and autos and delivery boys aren't given a second look, but private vehicle owners are definitely scrutinized and sometimes penalized. Then keys are seized and riders are made to pull over for a chat. I've had the misfortune of being questioned a few times but cops let me go because most of them know me to be a doctor.

The guys who jumped the signal are much better off because the cameras may or may not have captured their number so the odds of harassment are higher if you stop rather than if you jump.

Another recent trend against the BTP Public eye app that seems to be mandatory on Etios Taxis is a rear bull bar that covers the number plate. I've seen it in over a 100 taxis in the past 2 weeks.

Unfortunately our country always penalizes the ones who are caught in their net. A businessman I knew never filed income tax returns because once you file it, the tax is expected every year, increasing every year, and subject to scrutiny by tax officials. As long as you never filed returns, your only disadvantage is that you cannot get a loan from a nationalized bank.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2020 at 09:15. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
wildsdi5530 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 21:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

What that rider did was illegal, and based on his own video evidence can and should be sent to prison or face the judiciary.

When a cop asks you to stop, you stop. In the US, this guy would have gotten chased, hunted down, and probably shot to death for evading cops on duty. It’s that serious an offence.
Red Liner is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 00:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
2 bikers dodge the cops while the 3rd is stopped. According to the 3rd rider the cops put a gun to his head and asked him to call the other 2 riders to come back, but finally let go of him after he paid 2K.
Seriously!? Since when do traffic cops carry guns for traffic checks in India!

If this was in Kerala, the MVD guys would have hunted these clowns down and impounded their motorcycles by now.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 01:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

While these days cop harassment is real, this is not justified by any sense of imagination. You just can not act like this, if you are asked to stop, you stop. Period.

The other side of equation is that these days it's just becoming easy money for cops to stop bike riders. They specifically flag them down, make them stand in queue and then go about the business. I have been flagged umpteen number of times, now I have never been fined, they always see the documents and let me go. It's just a hassle, which I have got used to. My only pain point is, if you want to do a random check, why only stop big bikers, why not every one, why single them out, it's disheartening more then anything else.

I have paid my taxes, I am just on road to enjoy some fresh air, please let me be, and if you are stopping people randomly, please stop cars too randomly, and just not all the superbikes. Is it too much to ask for?
AtheK is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 01:45   #8
BHPian

Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider Escapes From Cops Without Stopping..

Does this post even deserve a thread? I had seen the video and whatever the rider did was totally wrong and unacceptable. It might be a chicken egg story but I think it's because of such riders cops create such a ruckus in front of super bike riders.
Waspune is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 02:46   #9
BHPian

Why do some bikers/ cars run from cops. Few reasons I can think of :

1. Rider/ Driver knows he is at fault. Be it any kind of fault.

2. Rider/Driver knows he hasn't done anything wrong, and can be harassed for no reason, or be fined illogically.

3. He is really in a hurry to attend to an emergency.

If no.1 is common in our country, no. 2 is no less common. Please do not quote examples of USA or other developed nations. Police over there is educated and well paid, and would rarely harass someone.

For pt.3, don't have much idea. Would like others' views on this. Perhaps, I won't stop in an emergency situation.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2020 at 09:16. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Mynameis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 02:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Which criminal wears full gear, pays toll and rides a nearly 20 lakh bright green bike on the highway if they are actually trying to escape from the scene of a crime?
Perhaps your definition of a criminal is derived from a Disney character. Black and white stripes t shirt and a black band on the eye.

In all seriousness, the cops are allowed to setup check points for varied reasons. Perhaps they wanted to check blood alcohol level, check documents, check for illegal modifications. Perhaps, they had info about stolen bikes, terrorists, what not. Imagine crashing into the cop after being hit by a stick/cone. Lots of lives would have been in danger.

If the law does not make sense, rally others, create a petition, work within the system to being change. What we see here is goondagiri. I despise Google/YT for monetizing with videos that portray such illegal acts. I reported the video to be promoting a dangerous act. Imagine every biker dodging cops at checkpoints, thinking they can get away similarly.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 5th September 2020 at 03:01.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 05:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems to me that the bike riders, specially the exotic bike riders are truly a bretheren in all ways, I've seen many YouTube videos where for more views they :

1) Zig zag, honk and slither through gaps while harassing law abiding motorists.

2) Copious amounts of expletives while riding, to other motorists, specially videos based out of NCR.

3) Making a total mockery out of law & order, road rules and police, let's face it I'm no fan of police or governments or anything that is dictatorial, but the max speed in India shouldn't cross 80 kph, be it a Ninja, a KTM or a Ferrari, the 3rd world Indian roads aren't meant for such vehicles at all.

Now we have forum members recommending that overspeeding and rash driving with proper safety gear should not be given a second look by anyone, specially the police and also of crossing the red light to escape police harassment.

Governments should encourage construction of racing tracks in all metros to begin with, so that people who are addicted to the adrenaline rush of speed can get their fix there. I personally hate riding and have the least respect for riders who necessarily feel that they are entitled to do everything just because they spent a couple of million on a bike, now let the brickbats fall upon this post.
dark.knight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 08:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
Please do not quote examples of USA or other developed nations. Police over there is educated and well paid, and would rarely harass someone.
I'm sure one certain Mr George Floyd would beg to differ.

Police harassment occurs everywhere, more so in developing and corrupt countries. However that is no excuse not to stop when police asks you to. Youtubers nowadays do all sorts of stunts in the name of content creation. Breaking the law and putting it up on social media though is a new low!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 08:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think police harassment is real and also well documented in our country. There have been several well documented cases in south India (Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kerala) where police stop and harass bikers wearing full gear and riding nice bikes. The cops indeed have no reason to whack the guy with a cone as that could prove to be fatal. Besides the idea that they might be criminals is absolute nonsense. Which criminal wears full gear, pays toll and rides a nearly 20 lakh bright green bike on the highway if they are actually trying to escape from the scene of a crime? I did not watch the whole video but I don't see any reason as to why the biker deserved having a traffic cone chucked onto him. Reasonable suspicion basis for stopping needs to be enforced in India otherwise police just get out on the weekends or whenever the weather suits them just to make some "collections" in my experience

Are you speaking from experience of riding a super bike in this country or your speech is a general observation as a bystander?

Lets get one thing clear. If a cop on the highway, specially one entrusted at a check point stops you, you stop.

The minute you do not stop and try to run/evade, in your own words 'reasonable suspicion' become apparent and the rider comes within the gambit of a potential criminal. Once you are perceived as a potential criminal , throwing a cone to stop you is the least they could have done.

Coming to your definition of Criminals? So according to you, only if some one is on a Splendor, without helmet and racing at 80 kmph, only then one qualifies as a criminal? Wearing a gear has no role in it. Jacket and the ride do not decide culpability. Also, there are no tolls for super bikes on any NHAI highway.

If you are not aware of the reasons why the last two bikers were fined, how do you know that the reasons are valid or invalid. Do you have a copy of the challan they were presented?

When you are asked to stop at a check point you stop. Your ride does not give you any special privileges.

I ve been riding for over 25 years and a super bike for around 20, and I often ride with other super bikers. We have not once felt the need to run away from a cop who has signaled us to stop at a check point. And this is inter state highway police from various states during our tours. You stop, show them what they need to see and move on. If you are worried of being wronged wear a body cam or carry your go pro.

I know enough imbeciles who do evade check posts as a matter of pride. Because they feel it is a privilege they enjoy as a result of riding a 20 lakh MC. Only a matter of time before that cone lands right in front of the front wheel and the rider tastes the tarmac. Also, you cannot be doing 200 kmph and expect the cops to go easy on you.

The cops here have a very simple strategy. If someone is asked to stop and tries to evade then 20 meters down the road there are 2 cops with barricades who are signaled and they shut the road with the barricades. So you are effectively stuck at a dead end. Then of course they treat you nicely as an unwanted guest.

There is no end to the idiocy that people who ride super bikes in this country indulge in.

If the traffic cops want, he can be picked up from his home under enough sections of the law. It helps that he is broadcasting his own evidence.

Last edited by bigron : 5th September 2020 at 09:23.
bigron is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 09:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

WOW!!.. Whatever this guys says in the entire video is 100% WRONG! Agreed there is police harassment biased towards superbikes, but two wrongs doesn't make one right.

It's sad to see the attitude of most in our country towards following traffic rules are the same.
dhanushs is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 09:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
The rider blatantly ignores the cops asking him to pull over and then has the audacity to blame the cops for hitting him with a traffic cone in their attempt to stop him!
The audacity here is normalising cop's hitting you while you ride a bike because you did not pull over. The other alternative is to record their number plate and send them a notice or give them a chase.

I am not saying that the biker is in the right here, but they have no right to hit you, which by the way could have caused an accident here and serious injury to the biker or the cops themselves. We need to come out of our colonial mindset.
extreme_torque is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks