Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 09:59   #61
BHPian

Re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Here is the video link where the minister makes the suggestion of musical instrument horns.

I don't understand Marathi but from the tone and body language it looks like the minister is just off-the-cuff bantering around at the end of a formal event; look at the way he adds an instrument to the list (Bighul???) at the end and smiles. Marathi speakers can correct if I am wrong.

I think this thread is just much ado about nothing.

Link : ABP live
Thanks for the link. Albeit from his tone and according to whatever he said, I do not think that he was simply jesting. He sounded serious when he said that a new directive would be passed on to manufacturers to have softer sounding horns.

The Indian musical instruments part may be an addendum from his side. A horn is meant to alert people on the road. Hence it should not be too harsh so as to unbalance them and cause and accident nor should it be so soft that the main purpose of honking is lost.
Old 6th September 2021, 10:59   #62

Re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

Imagine when somebody jumps in front of your car, you panick break and honk, the poor guy is terror-struck because the vehicle is still hurling towards him. All the while a melodious violin is played in the background.
It reminds me of some European car ads.
Vin_Redline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 12:48   #63
Senior - BHPian

This is getting so hilarious.

A future situation at the famous Paliyekkara toll plaza, KL.

balenoed_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 08:06   #64
BHPian

Mumbai: Shortly after unveiling a new vehicle scrappage policy and a Bharat series of registration numbers, the highly fertile minds at the ministry of transport are now aiming towards another novel and ambitious project, more melodious horns.

Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari-maxresdefault.jpg

In a recent interview, the hon’ble transport minister laid out his vision in this regard:

"I live on the 11th floor in Nagpur. I do pranayama for 1 hour every morning. But the horn disturbs the morning silence. After this trouble, the thought came to my mind that the horns of the vehicles should be in the right manner.

Some people have suggested that there are better ways to deal with this noise pollution, like teaching people not to use the horn without reason, tackling traffic congestion to reduce the need for honking, and setting up proper driver training and licensing facilities to ensure only qualified people aware of traffic laws get to drive on our roads. But that’s clearly idiotic isn’t it?

Just to refute one of the points I mentioned above, when a child is born, it’s a well known fact that their first instinctive action is to try and honk the doctor’s nose, that’s just a fundamental law of nature. This is why it will be completely useless to try and teach people how to use their existing horns properly, and not honk unnecessarily. You simply can’t fight with basic humanity I say.

Since we have clearly taken care of all the existing real problems on Indian roads, like potholes, cows, dogs, camels, dead animals, open manhole covers, gridlocks, protests blocking highways, religious rallies blocking highways, political rallies blocking highways, wrong-way drivers, lack of parking, lack of sanitary facilities, lack of pedestrian crossings, lack of lane discipline, lack of rule enforcement, jaywalking, overloaded trucks, unsafe speeds, red light jumping, drunk driving, and VIPs in Fortuners, we can now divert our full attention towards this urgent and extremely important problem, horns.

We have started thinking that the sound of car horns should be Indian instruments and we are working on it. The sound of instruments like tabla, percussion, violin, bugle, flute should be heard from the horn.

For example, we are thinking that off-road vehicles like Mahindra Thar and Hero Xpulse should be fitted with a horn that sounds like a snake charmer’s Been, that way if they encounter any snakes in the jungle, they can easily distract it by forcing it to dance to their horn. Once the snake is sufficiently charmed, it can be safely slapped away into the bushes, and they can carry on with their exploration.

For city commuter vehicles like Maruti Alto and Hero Splendor, we will use a mix of tabla, flute, and shehnai. That way when people are stuck for 3 hours between 2 traffic lights, they can do some jugalbandi to pass the time.

People with a religious inkling should be allowed to put multiple horns on the same vehicle, with one sounding like a harmonium, another percussion, and a third that’s the voice of an obnoxiously loud and untrained singer. That way they can organize a full-scale jagrata anywhere, anytime.

These are just some of the ideas floating around in my productive head, and I’m sure I’ll have some better ones in the future. I’m absolutely certain that this will solve the noise pollution problem India has. If there’s one thing Bollywood has taught us, it’s that a large number of musical instruments playing in random order can be called, and sold as “music” which is not annoying at all in the slightest degree."

Requests for comment from the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) went unanswered, as their spokesman is said to have suffered a stroke after he was found running around manically at their headquarters, shouting and screaming like a bugle.

This is a satirical post.
RiderZone is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 14:19   #65
Senior - BHPian

Received on Whatsapp.

Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari-img20210907wa0002.jpg
AutoNoob is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 18:55   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Also imagine in a traffic jam, everyone has their favourite song set it and all of them honking at the same time. Would it be a pleasant experience?
Free music concerts at every intersection in the city! Wonder how the Traffic Cops will react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post

RR: We have exclusively tied up with A.R. Rehman for creating a 1/1 custom tabla-flute-violin melody only for your car. Just pay 15 lakhs extra.

MM: Here's a CX9 optional pro max plus plus variant with an optional tune by Armaan Malik, choose between different 5 tunes of customizations. Base variant will have normal bugle tune by Rajubhai band waala.
Shaadi music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin_Redline View Post
Imagine when somebody jumps in front of your car, you panick break and honk, the poor guy is terror-struck because the vehicle is still hurling towards him. All the while a melodious violin is played in the background.
It reminds me of some European car ads.
The meme potential on this is infinite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Received on Whatsapp.

Attachment 2203589

Last edited by Eddy : 8th September 2021 at 10:51. Reason: Not more than 2 smilies allowed per post.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 21:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

I find no mention of this in this thread, but the tesla 'BoomBox' update does essentially this. You can change it to anything that you like.

https://insideevs.com/news/503587/te...mbox-save-day/
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 09:56   #68
BHPian

In the midst of all this cacophony I think we will forget that driving is a serious business although one can still have fun while doing this serious business.

I think starting now, Indian musicians will be heard saying - I have a recording today for Tata and Mahindra. I will play my best tutari !
luvDriving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 10:59   #69
BHPian

I like the creative area of playing musical instruments on vehicles. I think the objective is to reduce the harshness of horns.

However if execution is not monitored properly, few years down the line, we will have audiophiles installing horns like this.

Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari-madmaxfury.jpeg
dicor is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 11:10   #70
BHPian

We all know how this idea will end up. We'll have folks conducting DJ parties bang on the middle of the road.

anoopGTkrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 13:20   #71
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2021 at 09:46.
ishankpatel is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th September 2021, 13:23   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopGTkrish View Post
We all know how this idea will end up. We'll have folks conducting DJ parties bang on the middle of the road.
Some existing truck horns do sound like bugles btw. If this new horn rule comes into force, expect the truly creative horns will be employed by the truckers, especially the ones in North India!
Old 8th September 2021, 15:49   #73
BHPian

Soon Ustad Zakir Hussain will compete with Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma for attention in traffic jams.

I really hope our ministers will use their brain and powers to make life easy for citizens rather than such ridiculous ideas.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 16:29   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Thanks for the link. Albeit from his tone and according to whatever he said, I do not think that he was simply jesting. He sounded serious when he said that a new directive would be passed on to manufacturers to have softer sounding horns.

The Indian musical instruments part may be an addendum from his side. A horn is meant to alert people on the road. Hence it should not be too harsh so as to unbalance them and cause and accident nor should it be so soft that the main purpose of honking is lost.
I can understand the need for wanting to have softer horns and if what i assume is right, what he said about musical instruments was not serious?

If then, should we be ridiculing him so? If there were loudness standards for horns then it would be good right?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 16:55   #75
BHPian

This rule seems like a joke and to add to it,have they not prepared playlists still for which segment I'll play what music?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks