Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:59   #1
BHPian

Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari has announced the process to start framing rules to change the horns in cars to sounds of musical instruments like Tabla, Bugle, Flute, etc so it's more pleasing to the ears and doesn't cause unnecessary noise pollution!

Though the intent is to regulate the horns in vehicles, IMHO the ministry should rather focus on implementing the existing law on fitment of legally-approved horns and cracking down on illegal, eardrum-shattering horns employed by many unsavoury elements. Also, I'm not exactly sure how a Tabla or Flute can substitute for an internationally-established horn-sound. Surely there are some norms in this regard? Gadkari's intention though noble, does sound quite hilarious honestly.

https://english.lokmat.com/national/...d-in-vehicles/

T-BHPians please advise. How does this sound?

Last edited by IamNikhil : 2nd September 2021 at 12:00. Reason: Text formatting
IamNikhil is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:11   #2
BHPian

re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

As long as they are not made to sound like these recent old Bollywood remix songs

All those Omnis with 'Dhoom machale' music while reversing will be back in fashion.

I would prefer the Beethoven symphony that you hear on so many lifts and all - tududududu tudududu tudududu tudududu

(/sarcastic post)
sen2693 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

This is reason why Industry in India prefer "minimum government". Please let us not waste time in trying to formulate rules and regulations for horn sounds.
avishar is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is how one transmigrates from an honest man to a hilarious one while being alive. In his zeal, the honourable minister is going bonkers these days. First the Ethanol blend and now this absurd call to change sounds of horn !!

I wish instead of wasting time and effort in meaningless exercises, the minister takes note of existing problems first. Going by this rate, someone would next want cars to float as well since monsoons make the roads dangerous to drive

I hope this was said in jest without any seriousness !

P.S- This news also reminded me how Tagore songs were introduced at traffic signals in Calcutta to soothe nerves. Some time later, what remains are the rusting speakers

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 2nd September 2021 at 13:18.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Going by the news link, firstly I wonder if the source is legitimate.

And if it is indeed, a horn should sound like a horn which should draw attention rather than being melodious. Also our old brains are hardwired to horn sounds and to react in a certain way. Enjoying the music of a tabla or flute is not one of them.
saket77 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:44   #6
BHPian

Based on the legitimacy of the news source, the science behind the making of horns must not be forgotten.

The frequency of the horn is usually related to the size of the vehicle, bigger the vehicle the lower its frequency of horns and vice versa.

Also there is a measure of loudness at a fixed distance and height from the front of the car. Tabla has lower frequency than Sitar which is higher frequency so gradation is possible.

However what is going to be confusing is unless a "horn sounds like a horn" how will one differentiate at a distance that an incoming vehicle is somewhere ahead if the sound cannot be distinguished from regular sounds around us.

This makes me believe that the news may not be real.
haisaikat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 17:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Our Karnataka Government have already implemented similar horn Setup in garbage pickup vans and tempos in Bangalore. Every morning, we hear various film songs with modified lyrics with loud speakers and based on the song, we determine whether the tempo picks up the garbage from our house or from neighborhood (commercial garbage and household garbage tempos are different and have different horns)

Now Government seems to have formed an opinion that there is no major difference between the garbage tempo and a car. Hence they are recommending similar horns for cars as well.

Now, based on the music, or song or instrument, people can decide whether to give way to horned vehicle. If they like the music, they can decide not to give way till music is complete. Also, they can ask the driver to repeat once more. A lot of opportunities to create more traffic jams.

Summarily, Our Government has very good taste and really appreciate their sense of humour.

Last edited by gkveda : 2nd September 2021 at 17:44.
gkveda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 18:14   #8
BHPian

While some may say it was a passing remark, IMO this comment surely shows that Indian politicians are way way out of touch from reality.

I'm not saying ANY political party is much different but imagine the memes that'd do rounds of the internet if Rahul Gandhi made this remark, even in jest.

Plenty of such comments are passed on a regular basis by all kinds of politicians. What kind of prudence can we expect from representatives who talk like this?
WorkingGuru is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 18:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Unnecessary and sad in my personal opinion. I dont want to play tabla at every corner of my city while I drive. Moreover, some creative people might just increase the horn usage. What the government needs instead is a regulation on pressure horns and control of sound pollution rather than giving my car a sitar or tabla sound.

The electric FIAT 500 launched during the early part of pandemic in Italy showed a concept where the car will play music instead of conventional engine/exhaust sound.

See this Youtube video at 5min onward.

By the way,

Team-BHP reviews will soon have one more addition to What you’ll like and what you won’t section.

I can already imagine XUV900 review on the following lines:

What you’ll like:
1. Tabla horn is a segment first feature. Sounds and works much better than the Sitar horn of Harrier facelift.
PaddleShifter is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 18:29   #10
BHPian

Is this the new definition of MotoRmouTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
I would prefer the Beethoven symphony that you hear on so many lifts and all - tududududu tudududu tudududu tudududu
(/sarcastic post)
OFF TOPIC

I am sure you are well aware of this symphony since you named Beethoven but for wider audience here it is

varunswnt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Seems like he's consuming a lot of the fuel that he wants Indian cars to be driven on.
pranavt is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:08   #12
BHPian

Wonder whats next!
Maybe alter the exhaust to sound like a snore or worse, break-wind!
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 20:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I' th' last night's storm I such a fellow saw,

Which made me think a man a worm...

As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods,

They kill us for their sport

KING LEAR : ACT 4, SCENE 1

xxxxx

Wouldn't it be really beneficial if the government comes up with guidelines on which percussionist's creations are agreeable and the kind and length of the instrument the chosen flautist should ideally be using during sound recording.

Also interesting would be the ravayya of our Bengaluru cops on detecting notes of Hindustani music in local cars. Would it be considered a travesty if non-Karnataka aural effects are aired on our pockmarked but jam packed roads? Or, would a fresh Horn Tax take care of the same?

Frankly, I must appreciate the concern behind this thought (if true). With fuel prices skyrocketing, our ICE vehicles waiting for their stints at Demolition Derby and inflation clawing at our feet, many of us will be forced to take a hike on foot sooner than later.

At those times, when we are yearning for the comfort of our cars and daydream walking on the streets and blocking the free movement of the rich and the mighty, these new horns will bring us out of our slumber, show us our real place in the hierarchy of life and keep us firmly in place - close to the ground.

In every sense of the word, it will be music to our ears.

And,

We will literally be facing the music!
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 20:55   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Well we have already got this which was music to many:

I am pretty sure the intent with this idea is to create a jovial atmosphere like the one seen in this video and reduce the cases of road rage .
paragsachania is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 21:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Alright, I am ordering my next car with an electric guitar horn. Flute is too mellow to make others move. Might as well Rock it while driving in our streets
aravind.anand is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks