Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2022, 03:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review

I use plain Seiko/Kodak lenses, and use Zeiss anti-fog wipes for clarity. Zeiss/Crizal are overrated and I had patches appear in few years. While driving at night, original Polarized Lenses comfort me a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidbackakki View Post
Resistance to fogging up depends on the olephobic coating u opt for. Zeiss has only 1 coating for that. Considering the times of mask usage, I have never had my glass fogging up even when using the mask. I think many specs user have this problem of glasses fogging up when used with a mask. I never had the problem with Zeiss.
Old 20th January 2022, 15:23   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I use plain Seiko/Kodak lenses, and use Zeiss anti-fog wipes for clarity. Zeiss/Crizal are overrated and I had patches appear in few years. While driving at night, original Polarized Lenses comfort me a lot
Hi greeting!!

Now based on your location I am assuming a couple of things so kindly correct me if I am wrong.

1. I have never seen Seiko lenses in any of the big optician shops that I have visited in Bengaluru, Chennai or Goa. I might have missed the shops altogether but only knew Seiko lenses being available outside India through few of my friends. Safe to say I have zero knowledge on Seiko. But my experience with Kodak was not that good so ignored Kodak completed. Kind of Ctrl+Alt+deleted from my mind for the lack of good vocabulary.
Assumption 1: You bought Zeiss/Crizal Lenses in India and sourced Seiko/ Kodak abroad.
Well in my experience the manufacturing and quality standards between lenses available in India and abroad is night and day. I say this because I had a Friend from Germany on a exchange program during my master's degree days. He had quite a high number -7 and above. His lenses were Zeiss and really thin. Light weight. He broke his so we enquires in all the high end shop that we could find. For the same lenses they quoted more than 25k INR. His original glasses were 100 euros. And Titan guys were kind enough to acknowledge the difference in quality.

2. With regards to patches, well in my personal experience it always has to do with the lenses usage and care. For eg. When i play sports like cricket football and badminton, my neck chain tends to hit the lenses while stop gap maneuvers.( Hope you got the gist) This over period of time causes scratches and patches. Having said this, never ever had problem of patches with Zeiss scratches yes due to above mentioned reason. With Crizal( gifted back up specs) there is a problem of patches and its of the worst kind.

I am curious to know the reasons in your experience with regards to patches on Zeiss. And once again kindly correct me if I have assumed somethings incorrectly.

Regards

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th January 2022 at 15:25. Reason: Adding some paragraph spaces for readability
Old 20th January 2022, 17:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Your assumptions are right. The Seiko was purchased abroad and I prefer them over Crizal. The Zeiss was from Lawrence Mayo which developed few patches. I did not delve much into it, just replaced it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidbackakki View Post
Now based on your location I am assuming a couple of things so kindly correct me if I am wrong. 1. I have never seen Seiko lenses in any of the big optician shops that I have visited in Bengaluru, Chennai or Goa. I might have missed the shops altogether but only knew Seiko lenses being available outside India through few of my friends. Safe to say I have zero knowledge on Seiko.
Old 20th January 2022, 17:40   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Thanks a lot Fawad for your genuine feedback

Fully Agree Fawad, that is why it would be wonderful if you can put some COMPARO pics and videos of the difference you see with these amazing lenses. It will be a great help.

Maybe the cameras will not capture the Exact difference you feel, but the comparison pics and videos might give a fair idea of the extent of glare reduction to those who are willing to take the plunge deep down their pockets

Most of the comparo pics and videos on Google are Zeiss Ads which look like edited. Hardly any genuine End-user pics or videos to see the real-life difference.
I am willing to contribute my bit to help you and others to choose the right lenses but it beats me as to how to capture the comparison pics or videos. If guided, I surely will give it a shot.
Old 21st January 2022, 20:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

I am using this lens and here's my observations;
  • The variation in price is due to the difference is power, type and indexes used.
    For eg; Single vision, 1.6 index south side of -2.5 would be around 4800 per pair, and around 8000 for further higher powers.
    At the same time, the progressive ones are almost triple the price wrto the single vision ones.
  • If you goto an authorised dealer (From Zeiss website: https://www.zeiss.co.in/vision-care/...-near-you.html) they all refer directly to the Zeiss price chart (The same ones friends have shared above in this thread)
  • The experience is really good, but nothing drastically different from the Crizal lens I was having (Its a very basic one with just Blue filter and UV protection coating)
  • I could see well and drive well, but I still cannot look at the glare of high beams .(The high beam glare from oncoming vehicles still do bother me, although the ones from rear view mirror is slightly more manageable)
  • The clarity is also better than my earlier lens, but again not something that is extremely remarkable
  • In short, the lens is super good and will help you with the daily chores. But I would not personally recommend spending 20K+ for this lens though

Last edited by sarathlal : 21st January 2022 at 20:46.
sarathlal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 12:34   #51
BHPian

After few months of wearing the Zeiss Lenses and in response to some of the posts -

I wear single vision photochromic.

I do find them much better than Crizal which I wore for about 3 years before, and would swear by. I find the Zeiss offers much better clarity, vision, colours, performs much better at night, has better glare reduction - in other words out beats the Crizals Essidrive in almost every criteria. And the Zeiss was a bit cheaper than the Crizal. And also, it seems MUCH more resistant to scratches than the Crizals.

We seem to expect our Lenses to last for a lifetime. Considering we use our specs every waking minute, I think I'd be happy if a pair of specs, lense included lasts 1.5 - 2 years. And it's a good practice to check eye power every year, anyhow.

Of course you are not going to be protected 100% from oncoming high beams. But The Zeiss does an excellent job at greatly reducing the glare and brightness, without interfering -or rather lessening the view and brightness of other things, like say, the tail lights of a car you are following.

In other words, the Zeiss Drivesafe enhances vision and colours, yet greatly reduces glare, in daylight as well as at night- much, much more than any lenses I have worn till date.

I have found that GKB lenses and other "unbranded" ones yellow very early. Perhaps this is more so with Photochromic lenses. But I had GKB lenses yellow in less than 7/8 months, and also, their photochromic performance was far inferior to the Crizals or the Zeiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I've been wearing glasses since I was 10 so I don't even know what it is to be driving without them. I started off with a very high number but LASIK surgery in my 20s stabilised my power in the -ve 1.0-1.5 range till I hit my 40s and it started regressing again, compounded with hypermetropia.

As an example, my dog got his paws on my glasses last month and I needed to replace one lens that was badly scratched. GKB did it for me at around 4K, which is reasonable.

For all I know, I may be missing out on the iphone of eyeglasses so please forgive me if this post ruffles any feathers!
Noopster, what was your experience with vision after LASIK when compared to spectacles, if you remember? Did you feel sight to be more vivid, colourful and clearer? Why the regression? Were you informed that your sight would regress after a certain period of time?

As far as the scratches, I hear you - I have a hyperactive beagle and 7 cats. And also play a lot with small kids who are apt to throw stuff at me including beach sand. The Zeiss have done MUCH better in not picking up scratches than any lense I have worn for sure. I think the Essidrive did the worst in this department by a long shot. They would just pick up scratches so, so very easily.

There was a time when I used to firmly believe that expensive lenses and all these sorts of coatings and anti glare stuff was just nonsense and marketing gimmicks. But once I got them and experienced them firsthand, there's no going back.

Last edited by thirdmainroad : 23rd January 2022 at 12:53.
thirdmainroad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 14:32   #52
BHPian

Just a few clarifications:

(i) Zeiss DriveSafe lenses comes with Zeiss logo embossed at top corner. Also my individual progressive lens comes with DS150, my name and the reading power embossed at the middle of lens. Also, comes with a fully printed authenticity card from the Zeiss itself containing all details.

(ii) In Delhi, Titan Eye Plus said there is no discount but Bonton Opticians offered me around 10% discount on the lens and frame price.

(iii) From my past 12 years of experience of wearing progressive I find that whenever there is a small change in power ( I have cylindrical) it takes atleast 4-5 days to adopt to the new lens. But this time I got adjusted to the lens pretty fast.

And also I'd give a pretty big shout for the Zeiss Anti Fog Kit. It works amazingly in preventing fogging up the lenses. I purchased and with the first use I'm astonished with result.

https://www.amazon.in/ZEISS-AntiFOG-...41&sr=8-2&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review-71obzxmnc7l._sl1500_.jpg  

Last edited by archat68 : 26th January 2022 at 14:33.
archat68 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 10:31   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post

I have found that GKB lenses and other "unbranded" ones yellow very early. Perhaps this is more so with Photochromic lenses. But I had GKB lenses yellow in less than 7/8 months, and also, their photochromic performance was far inferior to the Crizals or the Zeiss.
(...)
As far as the scratches, I hear you - I have a hyperactive beagle and 7 cats. And also play a lot with small kids who are apt to throw stuff at me including beach sand. The Zeiss have done MUCH better in not picking up scratches than any lense I have worn for sure. I think the Essidrive did the worst in this department by a long shot. They would just pick up scratches so, so very easily.
Oh thanks for the warning! Mine aren't photochromic, just progressive with the Blue protection. And as you rightly point out, am finding it increasingly difficult to keep scratches at bay so yesterday ordered an "Air Flex" frame from Lenskart specifically for rough use. The frame was 1k and the lenses 5k but somehow through the magic of e-commerce discountery, the net price after offers was 2240! Even if it sucks, it won't hurt the pocket much!

Quote:
Noopster, what was your experience with vision after LASIK when compared to spectacles, if you remember? Did you feel sight to be more vivid, colourful and clearer? Why the regression? Were you informed that your sight would regress after a certain period of time?
My original number was -7.5Sph/-5.5Cyl in one eye (and the other eye not far behind!) so my intention in getting LASIK done was purely to reduce dependency, more than anything cosmetic. I literally saw only a blur when I woke up in the morning. So absolutely no regrets about undergoing it when I did! (please refer our LASIK thread where many people self included have posted their first hand experiences).
Yes- I did experience the world clearer, more vivid, better contrasts and perhaps even more colourful right off the bat. My opthal surgeon was in fact reluctant to prescribe me corrective lenses later but I insisted since I was having some trouble especially with night vision. I think it started at -0.5 and -1.25 (my eyesight has always been lopsided) but the relief was complete freedom from astigmatism/cylindrical power. It didn't change much for around 15 years and like I said only in my 40s am I noticing the regression. And no, they didn't tell me about it back then but then LASIK was supposed to be an experimental procedure and I assumed all risks (including some naysayers insisting that I would spend my old age blind!)

Quote:
There was a time when I used to firmly believe that expensive lenses and all these sorts of coatings and anti glare stuff was just nonsense and marketing gimmicks. But once I got them and experienced them firsthand, there's no going back.
Absolutely....and I have no intention of claiming that Zeiss DriveSafe isn't all that you and others who have used it are making it out to be. In any case, the technology available today means even our corrected visions are SO much better than they were a decade or two ago!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 13:25   #54
BHPian

I called up my nearest Titan EyePlus store to inquire about purchasing Zeiss DriveSafe lense-only package and they blatantly refused the same saying i have to buy frame from the store as well.

Their frame collection is dull and i doubt the durabilty too.
Old 11th February 2022, 13:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
I called up my nearest Titan EyePlus store to inquire about purchasing Zeiss DriveSafe lense-only package and they blatantly refused the same saying i have to buy frame from the store .
Just tell them you want to use your existing frame and don't want to upgrade that as it is almost in new condition . Don't say you'll buy frame from someplace else.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 14:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
And also I'd give a pretty big shout for the Zeiss Anti Fog Kit. It works amazingly in preventing fogging up the lenses. I purchased and with the first use I'm astonished with result.

https://www.amazon.in/ZEISS-AntiFOG-...41&sr=8-2&th=1
How long does it last on the glasses?
Old 11th February 2022, 15:43   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
How long does it last on the glasses?
2-3 days until you clean the lens further.
Old 12th February 2022, 21:06   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
I called up my nearest Titan EyePlus store to inquire about purchasing Zeiss DriveSafe lense-only package and they blatantly refused the same saying i have to buy frame from the store as well.

Their frame collection is dull and i doubt the durabilty too.
Just went to Titan Eye plus today for my son's specs, Frame collection and pricing is not good. Moreover, they are flatly denying any discount on the Zeiss lenses which other opticians provide (~10%). Finally went to Lawrence and Mayo. Their frame pricing is reasonable and offering discount too. If not at first insist for discount, they will budge. If you have have Lawrence and Mayo in your city, check them.
Old 13th February 2022, 09:34   #59

Damn that was a roller coaster!
Loved reading on as you re-discovered vision with every lens xD.Anyway thanks for the thread.

I ride a motorcycle for around 10 kms everyday at night in the city and the high beams especially from cars leave me blinded for a good couple seconds.(Somehow dogs seem run right in front of me at the exact same time -_-)
I have tried anti glare coating from several different companies but none got the job done as well as I would have liked.
will definitely check out zeiss lenses!
Old 14th February 2022, 10:45   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Hi JS. Inspired by this thread, I have recently got made drivesafe Zeiss progressive lens from Pune.
Can you please share the store details in Pune ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks