Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2023, 23:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2 tyres of my MG Hector burst on the Samriddhi Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
but this warning isn't issued until a tire's air pressure is 25 percent below the automaker's recommended pounds per square inch.
I have SensAiry internal TPMS. I have set the following limits for alarm:
32 psi for low pressure.
42 psi for high pressure.
55 degree Celsius for high temperature.

2 tyres of my MG Hector burst on the Samriddhi Expressway-pressure.jpg

2 tyres of my MG Hector burst on the Samriddhi Expressway-temperature.jpg

I had seen few high temperature alarms. Saw low pressure alarm only once while visiting a hill station on a rainy day, dropping temperature thereby pressure to below my threshold of 32 psi.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 01:58   #32
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

From your pictures it looks like the tyres are 95H?

95 load rating would give you the load that tyre can take. Should be standardised across manufacturers and comes to 690 kg.

Due to the long trips you describe, I hope the vehicle was not overloaded. 4 x 690 kg = 2,760 kg (MAX).

In all cases the tyres seem to be failing structurally. If there were punctures, you would have foreign objects embedded in them. Ask them to investigate it, as these are OE installed tyres, and try to get a pro rated refund for the replacement set of 4 tyres. If the 4th and 5th tyre are also from the same manufacturing batch, include those as well.

Insurance might cover the rim damage, but you definitely want to change the brand.
Tgo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 07:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have found my Creta's JK Ux Royale to be surprisingly durable yet relatively comfortable in the 23000km of my usage so far. My Creta runs on 215/60R17, so it has fair bit of sidewall. I was initially put off by JK as the OEM tyre, but the SA told me that the Ux Royale has been well designed and it indeed turned out so. So some of the Indian brands are not that bad after all.
fhdowntheline is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 09:59   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Nitrogen filled tires run cooler, and difference between hot and cold pressure is usually not more than a couple of psi.
I have always filled nitrogen and usually find 2PSI change even on sub-50km drives on warm days. Recently, on a morning trip on Bangalore - Nanjagud, I noticed tyre pressure of 37, up from 33. It's a relatively short drive of around 200km with speed below 100kmph, before 9AM. Probably, I would try refilling freshly once! And, of course, one can't be sure of the quality of Nitrogen we get.

Last edited by impala : 31st March 2023 at 10:01.
Old 31st March 2023, 13:01   #35
BHPian

Go with Continental , I am using Continental Conti Cross Contact and its really a big difference. This is a medium compound tyre.
MRF Wanderer if you like hard compound and less wear.

Do not inflate air in tyre beyond recommended pressure prescribed by manufacturer.

Change the tyre after 35,000 to 40,000 or if tyre age is nearing 5 years.

Do wheel alignment and balancing every 6 months or 5000kms

If still in doubt then get a very good tyre pressure monitor
DustyWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 13:17   #36
BHPian

Latest update is that MG Nagpur has confirmed the delivery of car tomorrow. Looking forward to uneventful drive back home with all possible remedies in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
What was the speed rating on the tires? There's probably no legislation in India that checks for speed rating compliance, but in Europe, it's strictly enforced. If a car has a top speed of 180+ km, it has to have a minimum speed rating of 'T' or above. Tires like W, Y, etc are for supercars and high end sports cars, but T is pretty much the default tire on most passenger cars in the EU. If a car exceeds the rated speed for a tire, the tire begins to get delaminated, and under stress, it can simply fail. Check the images below to see where a tire's speed rating can be found, and what the letters mean.

Attachment 2435137

Thanks supermax for details. Its H rated tyre which gives substantial margin as comparted to its high speed rating.

Attachment 2435138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
From your pictures it looks like the tyres are 95H?

95 load rating would give you the load that tyre can take. Should be standardised across manufacturers and comes to 690 kg.

Due to the long trips you describe, I hope the vehicle was not overloaded. 4 x 690 kg = 2,760 kg (MAX).

In all cases the tyres seem to be failing structurally. If there were punctures, you would have foreign objects embedded in them. Ask them to investigate it, as these are OE installed tyres, and try to get a pro rated refund for the replacement set of 4 tyres. If the 4th and 5th tyre are also from the same manufacturing batch, include those as well.
Insurance might cover the rim damage, but you definitely want to change the brand.
Thanks Tgo, unfortunately warranty of OEM tyres is only 1 year. I tried this during first burst incident, it was rejected. In any case I am going to replace the remaining 4th OEM tyre soon for peace of mind.

My insurance had Rim and Tyre cover and most likely would not need to pay anything extra apart from mandatory payout. I will get to know it tomorrow when I am picking my car from service center.

2760 Kg is quite high payload capacity, at the time of incident it was not more then 400 KG load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I have found my Creta's JK Ux Royale to be surprisingly durable yet relatively comfortable in the 23000km of my usage so far. My Creta runs on 215/60R17, so it has fair bit of sidewall. I was initially put off by JK as the OEM tyre, but the SA told me that the Ux Royale has been well designed and it indeed turned out so. So some of the Indian brands are not that bad after all.
I agree with you and was very keen for Apollo Apterra Cross available in 215/55R18 however its not OEM (only Goodyear & Continental) hence it was not possible to get it through insurance claim. For future replacements, will definitely go for Indian brands.
FiatDiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 16:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
What was the speed rating on the tires? There's probably no legislation in India that checks for speed rating compliance, but in Europe, it's strictly enforced. .

Attachment 2435137

Attachment 2435138
Homologation won't allow a certificate in such cases for an OE tire.
Things that can go wrong-
1. Punctures
2. Temperatures
3. Batch quality of the tire (read up Firestone Case)
Old 31st March 2023, 17:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
Quoting from above article:

As far as I know, nitrogen air is not easily available at Petrol Pumps. Only a few big petrol pumps have it in cities. Never seen any on the highways yet.
Also, nitrogen is not free of cost. This is what I have seen in Delhi where it is Rs.10 per tyre for top-up and Rs.25 per tyre for a complete replacement of normal air with nitrogen. However, the price is nothing compared to safety benefits it provides.

But, building up a concrete highway and then asking travelers to fill up their tyres with nitrogen feels very "Apple"ish - now that you have new iPhone, pls pay separately for the power adapter.

Isn't this a blunder from the authorities? Building a world class highway with fanfare, without duly considering the safety aspects. I never liked concrete roads. It's not as smooth as a tar road and also very loud (tyre noise can be heard inside the cabin). Though tar roads need frequent maintenance, I always prefer it over concrete roads.
How can you blame everything on the authorities, the one to be blamed are the car manufacturers, who are providing such sub par quality tyres on cars costing north of 2 million, I mean a car made for carrying 5/7 people at triple digit speeds should get tyres capable of doing it, how is everything the government’s fault.
W16rocks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 19:13   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post

3. Which new tyres?

This is very important question for me in current situation. I don't have any faith left in Goodyear. Following other options are available for size 215/55 R18:
Glad the incident happened in a controlled manner and you are all okay.
It seems that the primary factor for tyre failure is the combo of your driving style + tread pattern + sidewall height.
Now that you have to replace two alloy wheels and two tyres, I suggest you consider going with a wheel / tyre combo to get increased sidewall and deeper tread pattern.
You can downsize the wheels to 17" and go for 215/60 R17 tyres without any significant changes to ODO/speed readings while getting 10% thicker sidewalls.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 19:16   #40
BHPian

These appear to be defective tyres (or) they were used beyond rated capacity of load and speed. Even otherwise, one of my pet peeves is the lack of availability of choice for good tyres in India for the 18inch rims. The less said about eco-friendly low resistance tyres, the better in my opinion.

I ended up changing all four alloys on my XUV500 from 18inches to 17inches with Yokohama Geolander A/Ts as I tour a lot. The irony being the lower spec XUV500s came with 17inch rims which are actually superior for tyre options and have better comfort due to increased side wall height. It was painful to spend the cash to do it though, but I am happier.
ohaak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 22:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W16rocks View Post
How can you blame everything on the authorities, the one to be blamed are the car manufacturers, who are providing such sub par quality tyres on cars costing north of 2 million, I mean a car made for carrying 5/7 people at triple digit speeds should get tyres capable of doing it, how is everything the government’s fault.
Because the government is not implementing stringent safety standards or penalizing companies for offering sub standard products.

There is no protection to consumers if they end up with a lemon product.

And the taxes levied on automobiles - every manufacturer is looking for opportunities to maximise their margin.

Govt. is doing it to some extent now, but it's still very less and far from what exists in first world countries.

Last edited by MyLife_MyCar : 31st March 2023 at 22:49. Reason: Added taxes - margin para
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 00:55   #42
BHPian

While driving on expressways continuously at good speed for prolonged time, this recommendation by manufacturer comes very informative which says that one should increase tyre pressure by 5 psi more than recommended tyre pressure (Maruti Suzuki Dzire owners manual page no. 283).

2 tyres of my MG Hector burst on the Samriddhi Expressway-tyre-1.jpg

Hope this finds out helpful!

Last edited by S1200 : 1st April 2023 at 01:18.
S1200 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 01:36   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post

2. The Samruddhi expressway is a brand new all concrete highway. All concrete surfaces are rough when they are first constructed, no matter the methodology used to construct it. There is no road roller which flattens the top layer.

This rough surface causes more friction when the vehicle is travelling, the roughness causes excessive physical wear and tear on the rubber, and along with summer month approaching with its high temperatures, the combined effect on the tyres causes even a small imperfection to be magnified, and consequently, tyre failure by bursting.

So is this a permanent issue for this highway and is it doomed to become a car destroyer? Not really. Over a period of time, the road surface will smoothen out, and rubber will get deposited in the grooves of the concrete creating a sort of carpet of rubber (greatly exaggerated for explanation) and the tyre burst issues will lessen.

But people need to remember that tyre failure needs to be avoided by proper air pressure, regular condition checks and most importantly check on speeds.
Back in February I had driven to Mumbai and back to Pune during the last weekend of the month. I noticed that resurfacing work had been done on a lot of patches on both sides of the Expressway. While driving over the resurfaced patches, I noticed my Ignis bouncing thanks to the stiff suspension setup and hard compound of the OEM Bridgestone Ecopias. What you have mentioned probably explains why the leveling of the resurfaced patches was so damn pathetic.
yatesh.92 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 08:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1200 View Post
While driving on expressways continuously at good speed for prolonged time, this recommendation by manufacturer comes very informative which says that one should increase tyre pressure by 5 psi more than recommended tyre pressure (Maruti Suzuki Dzire owners manual page no. 283).

Attachment 2435883

Hope this finds out helpful!
This is very interesting. Usual logic will make people think that long high speed drives would increase temperature and hence the pressure would increase as well. I did too. And This article from Times of India seems to be, very vaguely, suggesting the same - don't inflate your tyres too much.

A bit of searching yielded me this thread here that talks about changes in tyre pressure with speed and here's a post (Changes in tire pressure - highway driving)with a very interesting link.

The link has a pretty decent way of explaining why the tyre pressures need to be higher when driving on expressways at high speed although it references European standards and the table significantly much higher speeds than what we drive at here.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 08:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Did some lightweight off-roading. ODO at the time was 206 kms.
Congrats on the new ride.

Since you have purchased an AWD vehicle, you will obviously take on mild offroad tracks. I mean thats the idea right? There is nothing wrong in that because your vehicle is supposed to handle this light stuff without any major hiccups.

About those chips in the tyre, those are on the treads, and are not that serious. However, if your XUV700 has a 1,000 km service coming up, I would suggest you get the sidewalls on all four tyres (especially the insides) throughly checked for any possible cuts.

If there's no upcoming 1K service, take her to any other workshop, tyre shop and sort things out. Those look like highway spec low profile tyres (sidewalls MIGHT NOT be built for offroad duty so you could do well without chips or cuts).
aravind422 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks