Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 14:45   #61
BHPian

Re: Shouldn't ESP be provided along with ABS?

They are just cost cutting so. Even i would love to have those features in my car. Have experianced ESP in vikram_d's mondeo in MMST tracks, there was not even a squeal while cornering at high speeds.

Last edited by brraj : 19th July 2011 at 14:47.
Old 19th July 2011, 15:25   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

ABS = Antilock Braking system. Normally Electronic Brakeforce distribution(EBD) and Brake Assist (BA) come with ABS system but ABS can function without these systems.

TCS= Traction Control system, also called ASR(VW and Skoda), DTC(BMW) etc. Comes with ABS as standard.

ESP= Electronic Stability Program, comes with ABS and TCS as standard.
Old 19th July 2011, 15:39   #63
BHPian

How effective is ESP in a 2WD cars especially in a FWD vehicle?
Old 25th September 2012, 17:41   #64
BHPian

Recently there was a new episode of Fifth Gear, where in Tiff tests the Electronic Stability programme.
There is also a demo of what happens when you drive a car with ESP and swerve, versus the one without.
Needless to say to the car voted as the safest in 2001 (Toyota Yaris) was a write off after the test.
Cant find the video of the same.

After the episode, I feel all cars should be fitted with this system.
In fact in EU ESP is mandatory for all new cars from November 2011.
And from October 2014 ALL vehicles registered in EU needs to have ESP as standard.

http://www.just-auto.com/news/esp-no..._id117266.aspx

Now I was wondering what vehicles in India have ESP as standard.
I am talking about a full blown ESP system which will detect a sudden movement (lane change) of a vehicle.
And apply the brakes automatically to avoid a crash.
Old 25th September 2012, 19:54   #65
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
In fact in EU ESP is mandatory for all new cars from November 2011.
And from October 2014 ALL vehicles registered in EU needs to have ESP as standard.

http://www.just-auto.com/news/esp-no..._id117266.aspx

Now I was wondering what vehicles in India have ESP as standard.
I am talking about a full blown ESP system which will detect a sudden movement (lane change) of a vehicle.
And apply the brakes automatically to avoid a crash.
Even in Australia I believe ESP is mandatory in all vehicles post 2011. My Skoda Yeti has ESP and it does make a massive difference if one is forced to swerve abruptly on a highway at speeds of 90 to 110 and when avoiding an obstacle like a stray animal or something. I have experienced it twice until now and believe me the car feels absolutely planted and does not lose poise at all. I don't think I would wish anymore to drive or own a car which lacks these essential safety features!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 12:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

One reason to buy a D-segment car over C (apropos the diminishing value thread) is for features like ESP and traction control. AFAIK Fluence and Jetta offer them in all variants. The Elantra does only on the top spec. Separately, that makes the Corolla look so over priced, for what if offers.
Old 26th September 2012, 19:15   #67
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream
. Separately, that makes the Corolla look so over priced, for what if offers.
Yes, I agree. Toyota is literally milking the Indian consumer.
Old 26th September 2012, 19:46   #68
BHPian

ABS+EBD is certainly an extremely useful feature! It does increase braking distance however gives you the ability to steer whilst you brake, which is a boon in emergency situations! This is particularly useful when avoiding sudden potholes on high speeds, as ABS gives you complete control!
IMO ESP is a useful feature, however, we hardly ever are able drive at high speeds in India, except for a few expressways, so ESP may not actually be required. ABS+EBD would be sufficient I think.
Old 26th September 2012, 23:00   #69
BHPian

ESP has been mandatory in Europe from Nov 2011 and the US from September 2011. As usual we lag behind inspite of paying top dollar for our cars, compared to US and most countries in Europe.

ESP has nothing to do with adventurous driving, infact most performance oriented cars have an option to put it off, and folks put it off when they want that.

ESP is about safety and mainly retaining control when avoiding sudden objects in your path - which is something we face often here, the elk test is a good example of this.

I find the argument a bit amusing, I don't see how someone will intentionally drive faster because of ESP, that's a bit like saying folks will drive faster because they have disc brakes.

There is no reason to not have it apart from manufacturers cutting costs, for instance the Duster is more expensive here than in other countries in Europe and yet does not have ESP but versions of Europe do. I think this would apply to many other auto makes here and shortchanging the Indian car buyer on important safety features.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 12:03   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
ABS+EBD is certainly an extremely useful feature! It does increase braking distance however gives you the ability to steer whilst you brake, which is a boon in emergency situations! This is particularly useful when avoiding sudden potholes on high speeds, as ABS gives you complete control!
IMO ESP is a useful feature, however, we hardly ever are able drive at high speeds in India, except for a few expressways, so ESP may not actually be required. ABS+EBD would be sufficient I think.
In 2008, the Merc A-class had to upgrade its ESP because the car toppled when making a sudden swerving move (moose test). An equivalent thing in India would be avoiding potholes will require many such moves. See the video here -

Link to what the test is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose_test
Cars typically will topple at 70-80 kmph, which is well within Indian cars reach even in cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
ESP is about safety and mainly retaining control when avoiding sudden objects in your path - which is something we face often here, the elk test is a good example of this.

I find the argument a bit amusing, I don't see how someone will intentionally drive faster because of ESP, that's a bit like saying folks will drive faster because they have disc brakes.

There is no reason to not have it apart from manufacturers cutting costs, for instance the Duster is more expensive here than in other countries in Europe and yet does not have ESP but versions of Europe do. I think this would apply to many other auto makes here and shortchanging the Indian car buyer on important safety features.
I agree the argument is amusing.

However, the reason ESP is not given is not only to cut costs but the fact that models with ESP will cost a bit more and will not find any buyers. Fact is that even for models that have features like ABS+EBD, the variants that sell are the lower ones which do not have this feature. Hence, unless, it is required by law, I doubt that it will be implemented in India.

This too will lead a huge hue and cry form the industry saying it will increase prices and lower sales.

Last edited by adits : 27th September 2012 at 12:16. Reason: Added Moose Test link
Old 27th September 2012, 16:19   #71
BHPian

Does the current gen Honda Accord in India have ESP?

I own a 2010 model but no where it mentions ESP.
Old 28th September 2012, 16:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
In 2008, the Merc A-class had to upgrade its ESP because the car toppled when making a sudden swerving move (moose test). An equivalent thing in India would be avoiding potholes will require many such moves. See the video here -
http://www.Youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Um-XlKerWvA

Link to what the test is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose_test
Cars typically will topple at 70-80 kmph, which is well within Indian cars reach even in cities.

I agree the argument is amusing.

However, the reason ESP is not given is not only to cut costs but the fact that models with ESP will cost a bit more and will not find any buyers. Fact is that even for models that have features like ABS+EBD, the variants that sell are the lower ones which do not have this feature. Hence, unless, it is required by law, I doubt that it will be implemented in India.

This too will lead a huge hue and cry form the industry saying it will increase prices and lower sales.
In India, the moose/elk test should actually called the cow test

I don't agree that ESP is not installed in Indian cars to save on cost. Reason being, that it needs ABS, EBD and traction control to work. Since most top spec cars have the former two, adding ESP and TC will raise the cost at a maximum by $500. Someone, who is buying the top spec and understands the value of safety will not quibble over the price. Case in point, most Vernas sold are the SX(O) variant with full six airbag safety kit.

I'm certain that the next car I buy will be one with ESP.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 18:40   #73
BHPian

Which is the cheapest Car in India having atleast 2 Airbags, ABS+EBD+BA and ESP??
Asking for information.
Old 28th September 2012, 19:10   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Which is the cheapest Car in India having atleast 2 Airbags, ABS+EBD+BA and ESP??
Asking for information.
AFAIK, that should be the Ford Fiesta Petrol AT - ABS+EBD, dual airbags and ESP.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:51   #75
BHPian

Apart from Ford Fiesta AT, any other cars which have ESC as standard?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks