Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2015, 18:14   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
DO we have a list of cars with ESP which are less than 10 lac rs?
If we are looking at 10L On Road, only car that can come close is the polo gt tsi. Even that is more than 10L on road in most parts. The other candidate is the yet to be launched Ford aspire which potentially will fall around the 10L range.

If we consider ex showroom price around 10-11L, the vento tsi and Ford Ecosport comes into the list.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 19:38   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
DO we have a list of cars with ESP which are less than 10 lac rs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If we are looking at 10L On Road, only car that can come close is the polo gt tsi. Even that is more than 10L on road in most parts. The other candidate is the yet to be launched Ford aspire which potentially will fall around the 10L range.

If we consider ex showroom price around 10-11L, the vento tsi and Ford Ecosport comes into the list.
Hi Guys,

So this will be the final list of cars with ESP and price less than 12lakhs.
  1. Polo GT TSI
  2. Vento (1.2TSI & 1.5TDI AT)
  3. Figo/Aspire 1.5L Ti-VCT AT
  4. EcoSport 1.5L Ti-VCT AT
If I missed any, please add to the list.

Also, one thing I observe here is, all these 4 cars are having automatic transmissions. Is there any restriction to have ESP on a manual transmission vehicle? If Polo GT TSI can have ESP then why not for Polo GT TDI ? Even the Abarth Punto, with highest performance in the lot, doesn't come with ESP. Where as Figo 1.5 Ti-VCT, with comparatively lesser performance, comes with ESP at a mere 6.98lakhs (ex-showroom) price tag. So, does it point to the need of an automatic gearbox to incorporate ESP?

What confuses me is, I remember watching the reviews of Polo GTI with manual transmission and having ESP. So, there are cars with manual transmission + ESP. There must be some other criteria, which play a role when it comes to the addition of ESP to the safety features of a car, at least in the Indian context. And by seeing the price of figo, I don’t think cost is one among them. If somebody can throw some light on it, it would be helpful.

Thank you.
vpillai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 21:12   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Hi Guys,

So this will be the final list of cars with ESP and price less than 12lakhs.
  1. Polo GT TSI
  2. Vento (1.2TSI & 1.5TDI AT)
  3. Figo/Aspire 1.5L Ti-VCT AT
  4. EcoSport 1.5L Ti-VCT AT
If I missed any, please add to the list.

Also, one thing I observe here is, all these 4 cars are having automatic transmissions. Is there any restriction to have ESP on a manual transmission vehicle? If Polo GT TSI can have ESP then why not for Polo GT TDI.
The Rapid TDI AT will also be in the list. To answer part of your question, No there is no restriction on having ESC in an MT vehicle. The Hyundai Creta Diesel top end Manual Transmission comes with ESP and Hill Assist. Strangely the Creta Automatic variant does not get ESP or Hill Assist. I think the XUV 500 both manual and AT get ESP.

For the VW and Ford cars mentioned, I think these features are tied into their transmissions, and maybe it involves additional cost/work to enable it in the other manual variants which they do not want to do. Just my assumption. Could be wrong.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 19:15   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The Rapid TDI AT will also be in the list.
We should also add AMEO to the list. Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) is available on variants (CL, HL) equipped with DSG transmission.

I just wonder when Hyundai (except Creta), Honda and Maruti will start offering ESP in cars in 8 to 12 lac range
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 19:58   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
We should also add AMEO to the list. Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) is available on variants (CL, HL) equipped with DSG transmission.

I just wonder when Hyundai (except Creta), Honda and Maruti will start offering ESP in cars in 8 to 12 lac range
When the government rules mandate it, and if those government rules manage to make it past the despicable machinations of industry lobby groups.

For car makers to introduce it themselves, they need to be companies that compete on innovation and value addition to the customer, and the customers in the target market also need to encourage the same. For example, Volvo/Merc and Sweden/Germany.

Instead what we have are car makers that focus on rent-seeking and a target market where most of the people are too ignorant or just plain stupid to prioritize a feature like ESC over decals and stereo system.

Unfortunately, our political class since independence also being of the rent-seeking kind, we are likely to lag 20 years behind the western nations on safety regulations.
chncar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 20:57   #96
BHPian

The thing about AT with ESP is that the controllers for the ESP and Transmission can easily work in tandem to control torque output to the wheels by upshifting or downshifting as required.
Similarly HLA is available by default in automatics esp the torque converters by virtue of their design. When other automatics have creep function, HLA is present by default.
niteshbids is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 14:58   #97
BHPian

Here’s a list of cars having ESP (below 10 lakh):

- Maruti Ertiga VXi AT and ZXi AT
- Maruti Ciaz Delta AT
- Ford Figo Titanium AT
- Ford Aspire Titanium AT
- Ford Freestyle Titanium
- Polo GT TSI
- Datsun Go and Go+
- Hyundai Venue S (1.0 DCT only)

Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...control-409883
artemis_fowl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 10:57   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis_fowl View Post
Here’s a list of cars having ESP (below 10 lakh):

- Maruti Ciaz Delta AT
- Ford Figo Titanium AT
- Ford Aspire Titanium AT
- Ford Freestyle Titanium
- Polo GT TSI
- Datsun Go and Go+

Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...control-409883

Datsun Go and Go+ doesn't have ESP. Looks like the author of the article has mixed up EBD and ESP. They are not the same. ESP is way more advanced than EBD.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 17:43   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Here’s a list of cars having ESP (below 10 lakh)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Datsun Go and Go+ doesn't have ESP. Looks like the author of the article has mixed up EBD and ESP. They are not the same. ESP is way more advanced than EBD.
Thanks for the clarification!
Initially, even I was surprised, given the price point. I was like, Hats off to Datsun; despite all the wrong moves, they have finally made a smart move . But later, on seeing this, I was rather annoyed. Annoyed that Datsun only thought of providing a basic feature like EBD now.

Enough of my rant, here is the revised list:
- Maruti Ciaz Delta AT
- Ford Figo Titanium AT/ Ford Aspire Titanium AT/ Ford Freestyle Titanium (they are all technically the same car; pick one based on your requirements). Kudos to Ford for taking safety so seriously!
- Polo GT TSI/ Ameo GT TDI (both of them nudge the 10 lakh barrier, but the discounts (especially for Ameo) should be good).
Of course, this does not include used cars (though I do not think presence of ESP should be an absolute deal breaker). In that case, there are plenty of options which I need not list.

Last edited by artemis_fowl : 13th June 2019 at 17:48.
artemis_fowl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 20:30   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification!
Initially, even I was surprised, given the price point. I was like, Hats off to Datsun; despite all the wrong moves, they have finally made a smart move . But later, on seeing this, I was rather annoyed. Annoyed that Datsun only thought of providing a basic feature like EBD now.

Enough of my rant,

Guys, Datsun Go and Go+ are equipped with ESP.

Here's the link (Surprise!! Datsun GO and GO+ get ESP) to that article.
The_Outsider! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 11:38   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Outsider! View Post
Guys, Datsun Go and Go+ are equipped with ESP.

I stand corrected! They didn't have it when I was car hunting for a friend a few months ago. Well done Datsun!
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 11:05   #102
BHPian

I knew the importance of ESP before buying my car. In fact, it is one of the critical factor and I skipped buying Kia Seltos Diesel as it did not have ESP.

ESP enhances driving safety by providing the following assets:
  • Enhanced vehicle stability; the system keeps the vehicle on track and improves directional stability under all operating
    conditions, including emergency stops, standard braking maneuvers, coasting, acceleration, trailing throttle (overrun), and load shift.
  • Increased vehicle stability at the limits of traction, such as during sharp steering maneuvers (panic response), to reduce the danger of skidding or breakaway.
  • In a variety of different situations, further improvements in the exploitation of traction potential when ABS and TCS come into action, and when engine drag torque control is active, by automatically increasing engine speed to inhibit excessive engine braking. The ultimate effects are shorter braking distances and greater traction along with enhanced stability and higher levels of steering response.

A car with ESP has the following
  • Wheel speed sensor on individual wheels
  • Steering position sensor
  • Car rotation rate sensor (like the gyro sensor on mobile phones)
  • EBD (To modulate braking force in individual wheels)

Source: Mentioned in the pictures.

I bought Nissan Kicks with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC).This is same as ESP and ESC. I can't stress enough why ESP is the most important safety feature more than 6 airbags or a 5 star crash rating as it saved me.

Me and my family were on our second highway trip as a family, my wife and kid were in the back seat and I was driving at highway speeds. A bus in front of us (approx 200 meters ahead of us) tried to overtake a vehicle in the front on the top of a bridge. There was a Hyundai i20 coming in the opposite direction. The i20 driver was not able to see the bus in the opposite direction due to the blind spot created by the bridge. The i20 braked hard, the car lost traction and hit the bridge shoulder and hit the bus and crashed in the road ahead of me. I witnessed this freak accident and I slammed the brakes hard and Nissan didn't move an inch sideways, thanks to ABS and ESP, I stopped before 10 meters of the crashed car.

The i20 had 6 airbags all of them worked, it was not able to save the person, we came to know that he died later. The vehicle didn't have ESP, this is one of the reasons why the vehicle went out of control.

At team-bhp, we should not support car manufacturers who rob us of our hard-earned money and give us tin boxes with the least safety possible. I was extremely disappointed to know that Kia do not provide ESP on the diesel variants of Seltos even on the highest trim. This is just beyond me, how an Indian customer paying 20 Lakhs is not offered an essential safety feature like ESP on his vehicle. I feel we Indians are taken for granted. The car brands who prioritize safety are not valued by Indian customers, take Ford as an example, their cars are packed with safety even on their hatches, they are now almost out of India.

"According to the new study, by amending the Motor Vehicle Act and other measures to make ESC mandatory in 2020 could save 42,000 lives lost due to road accidents in India and six more countries."

Source: https://auto-stage.economictimes.ind...-2020/73273531

Has anyone felt ESP in action while driving?

During my last highway drive, I was doing a high-speed turn and I had to do mild braking due to vehicles in front and I could feel the ESP kicking in and made it more stable by braking individual wheels differently and this adds to the driving confidence. I felt safe.

Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?-withoutesp.jpg
Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?-esp.jpg

Last edited by Godzilla : 16th May 2020 at 11:14.
Godzilla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 12:51   #103
BHPian

Currently 2 cars in the range of 10 Lacs are providing ESP.

1) Ford freestyle
2) Dzire (AMT version, it has only 2 air bags)

If you go upto 15 Lacs, top variants of almost all compact SUVs (Except brezza) like EcoSport, nexon, XUV 300, venue and also Nissan kicks are loaded with almost all safety features like 4+ airbags, ABS, EBD, ESP and BA.
Drbhavesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 13:37   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I was extremely disappointed to know that Kia do not provide ESP on the diesel variants of Seltos even on the highest trim. This is just beyond me, how an Indian customer paying 20 Lakhs is not offered an essential safety feature like ESP on his vehicle. I feel we Indians are taken for granted
You hit the nail on the head here. I own a Seltos D - AT HTX+. After having benefited from the presence of ESC in my other car on more than one occassion, that's one safety feature I badly miss in my Seltos. ESC had saved me couple of times from crashing, one was on a wet twisty.

I would've really traded off the sunroof, ventilated seats, power assisted seats, Start Stop feature , the big infotainment screen, Bose system and got an ESC instead. Hope Kia is listening !

ABS and front airbags are now mandatory for all cars. I strongly feel ESC should be made mandatory too.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 10:22   #105
BANNED

Electronic Stability Control or ESC is considered as an effective technology to prevent car crashes. It has around 38 per cent efficiency rate when it comes to preventing a fatal accident. The ESC prevents a vehicle from skidding and driver losing control when they over-steer or under-steer. This technology monitors the steering wheel angle and speed of the vehicle's individual wheels' rotation along with the travel direction as well.
In case of any irregularity found, the ESC applies brake automatically and adjusts engine power, so that the vehicle can stay in its intended direction.
ButterRider 7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks