Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2023, 16:36   #901
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I guess that poor scooter guy had to put his underwear in the wash!
He was in shock and was yelling at me after this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
But you might have seen him and should've anticipated the move by the bus driver and given the bus an exit route instead of going so close and making it tight. We should have Crash avoidance space on sides on undivided roads.

This is where you could've slowed down and give enough space for bus to go back to its lane.
As you may have noticed, I was moving left to give space, and at that instant have already took my leg off the accelerator and be ready on the brake. I expected the other bus to give side to the overtaking bus, but that didn't happen, he kept on hogging in middle (after the water region and even after this incident) and the overtaking bus swerved even more right which forced me out of the road.
Justin is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 18:53   #902
BHPian

This happened earlier yesterday morning when I was driving to work.

amitjha086 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 19:19   #903
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is where you could've slowed down and give enough space for bus to go back to its lane.
Honestly, that's where the dimwit bus driver should have abandoned the overtake.

He was not even past the tail end of the leading bus at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
Was there contact made? What was that sound - did he hit your mirror or something?
Rehaan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 19:52   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Was there contact made? What was that sound - did he hit your mirror or something?
Luckily no contact made. That's not a wide road and a car fills most of the lane it's driving in. The bike crossed the median and was merely a couple of inches away from me. That's why a near miss.
amitjha086 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 21:20   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Utter idiocy.

The position from which to overtake, for any vehicle, is not immediately behind the vehicle in front. It is from a little way back, where one can cautiously ease out and assess the road ahead.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 22:49   #906
BHPian

Quote:
[/url]
I’m no way defending the bike rider, but I’m not able to see in the video that you took any evasive action, so I guess the hard honk was to imply basically “you idiot”. Personally I would have refrained to honk at that stage, it would have just made the bike rider take some unpredictable action, which would have gone wrong for both.

Long long time back, A similar incident happened with me in a very narrow road, at very slow speed and I was in a shallow drain at the edge of the road, just because I had to save the bike guy. Funny thing is he and others helped me to take the front wheel out of the drain
NomadSK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 12:31   #907
BHPian

It’s again Kerala - no questions asked when you find yourself in that situation. Err on the side of caution.

You should have slowed and moved out of the road. A good lot of these drivers are high on drugs and it's all in the newspapers everywhere. Hence, sane driving and decision-making are in question.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th September 2023 at 06:35. Reason: Sentence formation
Old 22nd September 2023, 12:59   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
This happened to me last week.

I think that bus driver didn't see the scooter at all. No vehicles were behind me so thankfully all safe.
The bus driver is completely at fault here to start an overtake when another vehicle is approaching so close. This happens so often in India as a private bus overtaking another private bus just to make a quick buck over the other.

Having said that defensive driving is the best way to drive in India. You could have slowed down in anticipation of the possible antics by the private bus
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 17:47   #909
BHPian

Quote:
But you might have seen him and should've anticipated the move by the bus driver and given the bus an exit route instead of going so close and making it tight. We should have Crash avoidance space on sides on undivided roads.

Attachment 2505483

True

Another day, another Crazy Keralite bus driver. They should all be hired to drive ambulance, too qualified and talented to drive buses.
tiagoatrix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 20:25   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
I’m no way defending the bike rider, but I’m not able to see in the video that you took any evasive action, so I guess the hard honk w:
You're right. There's just a minimal swerve to the left that I made, just by a few degrees. Everyday I watch over a dozen people breaking traffic rules during my minimal drive of 22km each day to and fro work. They drive me nuts. I make sure to follow each and every traffic rules. For their mistake, there's a dashcam. I've driven for over 1 lakh km and ridden a bike for nearly 1 lakh km. I'm yet to learn to ignore everyone else breaking traffic rules. Hard times for drivers in Nepal!
amitjha086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 01:39   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
This happened to me last week.

https://Youtu.be/Cj4B8hmECsQ?si=zeLZVUfz2yxR9qrt

I think that bus driver didn't see the scooter at all. No vehicles were behind me so thankfully all safe.
I wish I had a car like the attached image for the times these bus drivers pull a similar stunt. Those who have seen "Fast 5" will remember what this vehicle does.
Attached Thumbnails
Your near-miss experiences on the road-images-12.jpeg  

srinitdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 16:07   #912
BHPian

This happened just a while ago.

amitjha086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 10:03   #913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This happened just a while ago.
Close call!

Do consider a Circular Polarizer (CPL) for your dashcam to get rid of the reflection on the windscreen.

For examples of the difference it makes, see the posts on this page (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 13:21   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Close call!

Do consider a Circular Polarizer (CPL) for your dashcam to get rid of the reflection on the windscreen.

For examples of the difference it makes, see the posts on this page (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)
I often drive in bright sun and reflections are quite bothersome. Will Google up for CPL and get one. Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 12:57   #915
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Near miss incident with a Calf – Chennai to Bangalore highway

I would like to highlight a near miss incident while driving from Chennai to Bangalore few weeks back. It was around 7pm and already dark, I gradually started to cruise around 80 to 90kmph on the Poonamalee to Sriperumbudur stretch, it’s a smooth 8 lane tarmac.

Suddenly from nowhere I saw a calf running across the road and coming towards the car. Out of instinct I jammed the breaks and by gods grace there was no vehicle behind, and I could safety cross over the running Calf without an impact.

Ohh my god, I was hit by a dog couple of months back near Chennasamudram toll gate and I was stranded with my family on the road, since then I was bit paranoid while driving on our highways and this is another incident with narrow escape.

I’m just wondering, what all we have to lookout for while driving on our highway? I know we must be careful and do a defensive driving but to what extend? Animals suddenly jumping onto the road when vehicle is at highway speed is a disaster. One of the main reasons Bhpian drive is the pleasure and the joy of driving, if that itself being jeopardize with such unexpected events, what is the point of driving with such a safety issue lingering around?

How do we prevent domestic animal and dog’s crossing our highways? Will there ever be a solution?
glovins2004 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks