Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2023, 14:10   #826
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Had a close call today with Swiggy delivery biker. Luckily, I was slow hence avoided hitting the biker.

DetectiveMiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 15:35   #827
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
You were at low speed so it was ok. If you were at high speed you could have hit the parked bus due to this sudden swerve-a rear underride for you and a very bad outcome.

Please brake in a straight line and don’t swerve for such fools. Swerving without looking can become a habit
Depends upon the situation unfolding in front of you. Remember, this all is happening in milliseconds. If I wasn’t aware of my spatial surroundings. I would’ve probably braked.

We aren’t trained to handle these scenarios on a daily basis.

If I’m aware that nothing is coming from behind, and the total time taken by my action of raising my foot from accelerator, then depressing brake pedal and lastly the braking to come into effect is not enough for me to save myself to crashing into the guy. I will swerve.

But then again, the situation allowed me to do it here.

You need to be well versed with the dynamics of your car in each possibility, either it’s braking or swerving.

The bus was quite far. The camera lens is distorting depth of field in video.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd March 2023 at 19:46. Reason: spacing
Dhruv29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 21:12   #828
BHPian

Just here to share another near miss accident I encountered today. We were in our car and doing the speed limit and were just about to overtake an auto and the guy decides to move from a standstill all of a sudden and in between this an uncle with kids and his wife on a motorbike decided to squeeze in between . Let me share a drawing to depict the situation.

At that point I did not understand if I need to cry or laugh at people because of their utter disregard for road rules and safety.

PS Sorry for the crude drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
Your near-miss experiences on the road-img20230312wa0011.jpg  

Drivaholic@2727 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 03:14   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaholic@2727 View Post
PS Sorry for the crude drawing.
It's just fine to remind us of a situation that we experience everyday.

One might ask why it is routine for bikers, with or without family, to pass through a maybe closing gap when there is no way they can read the possible speed /direction changes of the other vehicles that could kill them.

Similarly, passing in between, when one 4-wheeler is overtaking another. A moment later they would have clear space.

A biker is ultimately vulnerable, but regardless of number of wheels, one of my best driving gurus (the instructor who got me through my British test at second attempt) put this to me in a memorable way: "Never be the meat in the sandwich."
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 15:44   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One might ask why it is routine for bikers, with or without family, to pass through a maybe closing gap when there is no way they can read the possible speed /direction changes of the other vehicles that could kill them.

Similarly, passing in between, when one 4-wheeler is overtaking another. A moment later they would have clear space.

A biker is ultimately vulnerable, but regardless of number of wheels, one of my best driving gurus (the instructor who got me through my British test at second attempt) put this to me in a memorable way: "Never be the meat in the sandwich."
Bikers are conditioned through TV ads and lack of traffic rule enforcement to think that they can go anywhere. Over the last decade i have seen a gradual decline in bikers following traffic rules. Today they think laws don't apply to them and it is their birthright to pass.

Look at any traffic signal where cars normally stop before the line and then you have a bunch of bikers zig-zagging their way to the front of the line. Some of these would also jump the signal if they see no cops.

Then there are people whose elbows are vulnerable and hence the helmet is hung there. Talking of helmets, think of those plastic bowls people put on their heads in Bangalore, what kind of protection would it provide??

Life is cheap in India, and the bikers themselves make it cheaper. I can understand that not everyone can afford car but then there is no cost for following traffic rules. Once upon a time i had a lot of sympathy for bikers, but not anymore
Totoro11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 15:00   #831

Encountered this sudden road closure while driving from Coimbatore to Salem. Saw it in the last moment due to the tiny cones. No other vehicle was coming behind me so I could brake and turn on to the service road. I saw one more truck behind me having to sudden brake and was able to stop just after the cones. NHAI should have bigger diversion signs which are visible from a greater distance. I noticed the truck turning into the service road but did not imagine it was due to the road closure.

Jonathan Arpith is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:26   #832
BHPian

Maybe time to change the thread title to just "Near miss experiences on the road" as I am sharing a video wherein a quick thinking gentleman stopped a scooter with bare hands. The scooter was about to hit a railway crossing when this person heard the riders cries for help.

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 19:40   #833
BHPian

Hello members,

Never wanted to be a part of this thread, but here i am.

Was coming back from Mysore to Bangalore on the new expressway. Somewhere after Ramnagara, was doing around 100 kmph, all of a sudden there was a loud blast. When i looked to my right to see what that loud noise was, my car just swerved to the right although i was holding steering firm. And i also felt that i hit something. Later the bus also swerved abruptly into the outer barricade. All this happened in matter of seconds. After pulling myself together and putting car to the side, got to know that the bus tyre had burst and the piece of the tyre had come under my tyre. Have to thank god because I dont know how my car didn’t hit anything although that piece of tyre came under my tyre causing my car to lose control. Although Me and my dad were unharmed, the car took the beating . Still in shock how it escalated.

OT:- Will insurance company grant this claim as I’ve already claimed once two months before. The claim was for the exact same type of damage in the same bumper although differently

Your near-miss experiences on the road-866dda6f668c4178bc76ce8080bfe840.jpeg

Your near-miss experiences on the road-3c88465089dc4dd0a868538a7330fc08.jpeg

Your near-miss experiences on the road-a86e4e774f3b417fb494c836ccaffc47.jpeg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd March 2023 at 19:46. Reason: spacing
RahulRV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 20:20   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulRV View Post
Will insurance company grant this claim as I’ve already claimed once two months before. The claim was for the exact same type of damage in the same bumper although differently
Good that you were unharmed. These tyres are huge and can cause serious damage. I have had a near miss recently when a blown out tyre was sitting on the road and I was overtaking a vehicle at 100 km/h. I managed to see it just in time. It was captured in the post below:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5441524 (Your near-miss experiences on the road)

Regarding insurance, yes, of course. They know that the same bumper was replaced 2 months back and this impact is recent. Claim ASAP.
Old 25th March 2023, 23:18   #835
Hbh

Had a low speed close call with a guy who thinks he's driving on a race track and trying to hit the apex of the corner.

Hbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 10:13   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
Narrowly missed being part of this thread.
Suddenly an auto rickshaw driver decided to merge back into lane when there is no space/lane marking for him to complete the manoeuvre.
My Reflex made me swerve the car as i knew i won't be able to stop in time.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=gTcFefLTOTE
I think at this point, "avoiding the three wheeled menace" should be a lesson taught to everyone applying for a four wheeler license. Like a best tactics/tips 'n tricks to avoid these death traps.
Old 30th March 2023, 12:54   #837
BHPian

A perverted response should be to only own a Tata or Mahindra "tank" and never hit the brakes or swerve out of the way, just plow into everything like Arnold would.
mpp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 15:43   #838
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched helplessly as a drowsy driver almost killed himself yesterday.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 09:37   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
Narrowly missed being part of this thread.
Suddenly an auto rickshaw driver decided to merge back into lane when there is no space/lane marking for him to complete the manoeuvre.
My Reflex made me swerve the car as i knew i won't be able to stop in time.
Do you know what the real problem is? I'll tell you what the problem is. The stupid and oblivious fellows like this are not at all held accountable for their carelessness. That's only part of the problem. Every tom dick and harry can get a licence, be careless and get away with it.
Old 3rd April 2023, 22:48   #840
Senior - BHPian

From yesterday's road trip. One can clearly see an approaching vehicle if they pay attention. He was probably drunk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks