Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2022, 19:19   #691

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Such beautiful foothpaths on both sides of the road and yet many choose to walk on the roads forgetting that they are the most prone to losing limb/life in case of an accident.

Was the gif speeded up?
Not sped up exactly, but had to drop framerate to reduce the filesize which can cause similar effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
As a pedestrian, shouldn't she be on the footpath - which appears to be well built with guard rails?
Unfortunately, partial blame goes to the officials - the entire length of footpath is not maintained very well and in some places it's littered with foliage and mud, despite being fairly new (~2 years)

The guard rail would cause more harm than protection if they walk on outside!
I did suggest her to use the footpath henceforth.
akkosetto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 20:19   #692
Senior - BHPian

Today, we encountered a near miss incident with a biker in Mysore near Ilavala. As usual, it was the biker trying to squeeze from the wrong side between my car and another taxi. The biker was so arrogant that he slammed against the driver's side mirror to make way, squeezed away, skidded on a muddy road and fell down after losing control. He was pretty badly hurt, but why this kind of attitude?
Old 5th July 2022, 23:19   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Not controversial at all, I'd be surprised if anyone here thinks the hazards shouldn't be used to indicate exactly that, hazards.

Where the general public go wrong is the usage of hazards continuously while driving in heavy rain....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
What is controversial here? Absolutely the right thing to do...
Absolutely, gentlemen. We are agreed, across nations and cultures! Although I can't claim to be a British driver any longer, and I think my licence has expired!

But we have forum mates of other dogma.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 11:10   #694
BHPian

I can't even recollect how many times I have had similar close shaves on Indian roads during my 22 years of driving. Dashcams are making these situations more intense as we get to see those moments again which keeps such memories alive longer. Does it help? Maybe, in some situations to identify the culprits or create more awareness. But fact of the matter is that these would hardly help to reduce the nuisance.

Following basic principles of keeping speed under check and being alert while driving is all we can do to reduce such hand in mouth situations.
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 11:26   #695
BHPian

I have had some, but none as scary as one while driving from Bangalore to Pondicherry. Tried to overtake on a road curving left and had no visibility of oncoming traffic. There was a bus coming and I just managed to squeeze in. Literally just. It was entirely my fault and I had come under pressure due to an extremely slow moving truck in front of me. Traffic was piling up behind and the honking was irritating me no end.

Since then I try to not get worked up when stuck behind a slow vehicle. I just keep telling myself that all those behind me honking do not matter.
Malyaj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 22:01   #696
BHPian

Bangalore roads have become horrible in the past few weeks and I am saying this because I had unusually high number of near misses in the past few weeks! I couldnt post them all, just sharing a couple of them which I managed to save from my dashcam.

1. School bus tried to push me off a flyover to overtake a slow moving cement truck!

2. Under-aged squids didnt want to let a two wheeler make a U turn and instead decided to almost crash on me!

Apologies for the dramatic background music. Youtube seems to automatically add it and I am unable to remove!

Last edited by nagr22 : 8th July 2022 at 22:11. Reason: Updated video link
nagr22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 10:44   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
I just keep telling myself that all those behind me honking do not matter.
Congratulations! It takes a lot of wisdom and courage to not yield to the pressure of honking. Especially when in India these people will mock you and make you feel you are the idiot. I remind myself what matters is reaching home alive.
Once my wife asked me to speed up. I told her to get another transport if she wants. It didn’t go well with her but that’s ok

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 10th July 2022 at 10:45.
StopUnderrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 12:02   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Bangalore roads have become horrible in the past few weeks and I am saying this because I had unusually high number of near misses in the past few weeks!

1. School bus tried to push me off a flyover to overtake a slow moving cement truck!
https://Youtu.be/qnzkU3soK00
Even I have had such incidents with school buses. Adding a video below where a school bus wants to drive on the wrong side to take a shortcut to reach Graphite India signal. The U-turn was just 50 metres but he chose to drive on the wrong side. Why - simply because he can. Initially, he thought I would move away and he also signaled by hand but then I showed him the dash cam. Then quickly the assistant got down and decided to reverse (this is missing in the video). By then a couple of cabs also decided to follow the bus.

Meph1st0 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 17:19   #699
Distinguished - BHPian

This was from our journey back from the Binsar WLS today. The narrow mountain roads and 'No Honking' rules mean slow speeds (20 kmph posted at entry gate). This young newbie driver racing uphill in a new car almost crashed into my car head-on as he came tearing around the blind curve. This was certainly one very close shave for me. Subsequently, I decided to ignore the 'No Honking' rule and tapped the horn where I deemed it necessary.

The swearing has been bleeped out.
SS-Traveller is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 17:31   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
https://Youtu.be/pA_YYUQrE-o

This was from our journey back from the Binsar WLS today. The narrow mountain roads and 'No Honking' rules mean slow speeds (20 kmph posted at entry gate). This young newbie driver racing uphill in a new car almost crashed into my car head-on as he came tearing around the blind curve. This was certainly one very close shave for me. Subsequently, I decided to ignore the 'No Honking' rule and tapped the horn where I deemed it necessary.

The swearing has been bleeped out.
He was too oblivious of the surroundings.
Regarding No honking rule, on hill roads, you have to Honk at every such curve. It is mandatory. I don't think this mountain has any different rule.
It appeared as if he was going downhill (at least in this section of the road)

I found one post in our own forum, regarding honking in the hills and it is so apt for the situation in which you were driving.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post3673728 (Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats)

By the way, there is a post from you also sometime later in that thread. You were replying to the post I linked above.
I think you meant "cross" in place of "overtake" in point 2 of your post.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post3674651 (Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats)

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 10th July 2022 at 17:47. Reason: Added a link
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 18:23   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Regarding No honking rule, on hill roads, you have to Honk at every such curve. It is mandatory. I don't think this mountain has any different rule.
This mountain does - being a wildlife sanctuary, you are warned at the gate not to honk, and drive slow. Look at the sign on top of the barrier.

Your near-miss experiences on the road-20220710_112750.jpg

Quote:
By the way, there is a post from you also sometime later in that thread. You were replying to the post I linked above.
I think you meant "cross" in place of "overtake" in point 2 of your post.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post3674651 (Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats)
"Overtake" is correct. If a person is driving to "cross" you, which is the case here, there is not much you can do if he is in your lane and not driving slow enough. Notice in the video, he braked and skidded straight (obliquely across my car's nose) despite his wheels being turned to the right. And he was coming uphill.

I started reversing in the fear that he'd dump his clutch out of nervousness, and hit my car after both cars came to a full stop. Common newbie error.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 10th July 2022 at 18:26.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 18:31   #702
BHPian

Quote:
"Overtake" is correct. If a person is driving to "cross" you, which is the case here, there is not much you can do if he is in your lane and not driving slow enough.
I do not think I have ever honked for anyone who is trying to overtake me. It's his decision, moreover, horns are placed at the front of our cars, it is possible that he may not hear them at all or get confused that someone from the other side is honking. Use indicators or hand signals for cars behind you.

In hills, you honk to make your presence felt. Such that oncoming traffic can avoid coming in your lane or stop on such narrow roads at a place where you can cross.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 10th July 2022 at 18:36.
Old 10th July 2022, 19:44   #703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do not think I have ever honked for anyone who is trying to overtake me.
I think I have been unable to make myself understood to you. The context of the post you've linked to, is different.

In that post, the overtaking car I am meaning, is the oncoming car that is trying to overtake the car that is moving in its own direction (and crossing me on an undivided 2-lane mountain road), and as a result, approaching me blindly around a bend. I need to honk to warn that idiot to lift his foot off the accelerator, which he is flooring to get ahead of the car next to him, and back off because I am in his path.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 10th July 2022 at 19:46.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 20:19   #704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It appeared as if he was going downhill (at least in this section of the road)
Its not mandatory, but a suggestive safety measure. If it was mandatory, one would hear a symphony of honking on all mountain roads 24x7.

Also on hill roads that have a lot of shady/dark forest cover (eg seen a lot in Western ghats especially during the monsoon), flashing lights is also a good strategy to indicate your presence around upcoming blind turns.

Also idiots like the one @SS faced would probably assume that by honking, they are assured their right to proceed around blind turns rather than reducing speeds.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 21:13   #705
BHPian

Quote:
I think I have been unable to make myself understood to you. The context of the post you've linked to, is different.
Understood the context now. Honking in such situations is for everyone coming from the opposite side.
And yes, there are such fools who try to overtake on such turns and endanger everyone.
If one is not allowed to honk on such single lane turns, slow speeds can only save a collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Its not mandatory, but a suggestive safety measure. If it was mandatory, one would hear a symphony of honking on all mountain roads 24x7
There are many turns on mountain roads where you will find this sign, which says it is mandatory to honk and considering the infrastructure our governments have, consider that sign to apply for all similar turns ahead of your journey on that road. Whether to honk or not is still one's choice, but the rule book says, honk mandatorily on such turns.
Attached Thumbnails
Your near-miss experiences on the road-screenshot_2022_0710_204243.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks