Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 09:40   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

@StopUnderrides
Use an empty ground or a large truck parking yard in industrial area to check what I said. Use a marked line to start braking from a brisk speed. Once ABS starts pulsing the pedal your braking force actually reduces, the wheel locking up will reduce it further, so it is better than a lockup.
Instead of standing on the brake, if you apply force to a level just before the pulsing starts you come to a much quicker halt, in an emergency situation when you do not have this logical thinking, and you are subconsciously going to slam on the brake the ABS will keep you safe.

Rahul
Old 3rd October 2021, 09:26   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
@StopUnderrides
Instead of standing on the brake, if you apply force to a level just before the pulsing starts you come to a much quicker halt, in an emergency situation when you do not have this logical thinking, and you are subconsciously going to slam on the brake the ABS will keep you safe.

Rahul
Maybe you are skilled enough to figure out as a driver which one of the 4 wheels is on the verge of locking up. That’s quite a complicated decision and beyond my abilities. However looks like you too agree that in emergency braking even you won’t trust your brain to process this logic and would rely on ABS.

In normal braking, typically ABS does not kick in. Experiencing ABS pulsations for the first time can be unsettling and it’s best to practice “standing on the brakes until the car stops “ by trials on empty roads before one needs to use it in a real emergency.
Old 14th October 2021, 17:55   #573
BHPian

Stumbled upon this thread. Got redirected from something else that I was reading.

Nevertheless, let me share a close call while doing Blr -> Del in my new Rapid this April.
I was somewhere near Adilabad on the NH44. There were lot of trucks ahead of me and were all driving left-right-center. Soon they all lined up to let the vehicles behind them pass.
I was in the middle of 3 digit speeds trying to cross this truck. I was half way past the truck when the idiot driver tried to overtake a vehicle just in front of it.
He steered complete right without (or maybe after) looking right. I had to stand on my brakes and pull the handbrake. Though with ABS but the wheels got locked for a second or two skidding the car.
Luckily the maneuver was fast and the brakes & tyres in good condition. The car stopped in time while the truck drove away.
My gf (now wife) started crying. Yes it was a close call which left even me very nervous.
I immediately pulled up and let the feeling sink in that we were alive.

This was a mistake on the truck driver's end which might have costed us everything.

Now I ensure that there is no vehicle near the truck while overtaking.
Old 15th October 2021, 14:16   #574
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

If people keep on driving like this biker, then accidents will keep on happening.

india008 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 17:17   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
If people keep on driving like this biker, then accidents will keep on happening.

https://Youtu.be/3aaK9RD7O7E
I encounter such idiots everyday in Goa. Most are tourists on rent a bikes who are totally clueless about the road.
This is negative effects of incompetent system of vehicle driver licensing and lack of implementation of traffic rules.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2021 at 18:14. Reason: Sexist comment deleted
a_myth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 14:57   #576
BHPian

How is this for overtaking?

Nalin1 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 16:11   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
How is this for overtaking?
He is going for the overtake regardless. a diagonal line from the left. Now way of knowing if there is going to be any space. He doesn't care. Or, simply, expects the world to move aside for him.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 22:18   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
I was in the middle of 3 digit speeds trying to cross this truck. I was half way past the truck...
This was a mistake on the truck driver's end which might have costed us everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
IMHO, in addition to the obvious idiots on the road, there was one common factor in both cases which could have made the outcome far worse. 100+ speeds in both cases when conditions were not appropriate.

Row of slow moving trucks in first case and rain + wet tarmac in second case.
Old 20th October 2021, 10:59   #579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had to stand on my brakes and pull the handbrake. Though with ABS but the wheels got locked for a second or two skidding the car.
I do not think there was a need to pull the handbrake. Brake pedal activates both the brakes, as well as triggers your ABS. I just hope, the handbrake did not / does not interfere with the functionality thus locking up the wheels momentarily. (This is all without Googling up things).

Quote:
Did you ensure to mark your presence before starting your overtaking procedures? Either by honking / flashing lights or ensuring that you are visible? Please do that.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 11:15   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
100+ speeds in both cases when conditions were not appropriate.

Row of slow moving trucks in first case and rain + wet tarmac in second case.
Well I agree that I could have been a bit slower but I was on NH44 with a very wide and straight patch of road. I was within the legal speeds though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I do not think there was a need to pull the handbrake. Brake pedal activates both the brakes, as well as triggers your ABS. I just hope, the handbrake did not / does not interfere with the functionality thus locking up the wheels momentarily. (This is all without Googling up things).
Yeah handbrake does the same thing as the main brake. It was more of a reflex rather than a logical judgement. Though the rear wheels did not lock up.

Quote:
Did you ensure to mark your presence before starting your overtaking procedures? Either by honking / flashing lights or ensuring that you are visible? Please do that.
Yes. Horn and flash both.

Last edited by ankitsharma : 20th October 2021 at 11:16. Reason: Grammar
Old 20th October 2021, 12:44   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah handbrake does the same thing as the main brake. It was more of a reflex rather than a logical judgement. Though the rear wheels did not lock up.
Handbrake and the main brake are not the same. The main brakes operate hydraulically while the handbrake operates mechanically. ABS works on the main brakes by modulating the hydraulic pressure to prevent wheels from getting locked. The handbrake uses cables to mechanically lock the brakes, bypassing the hydraulic systems (thus bypassing ABS). After all, the very purpose of handbrake is to lock the wheels.
GeneralJazz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 16:07   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

Handbrake, in an emergency stop where break system is acting normally, is probably a really bad idea. In a brake-failure situation, my mind (if I had time) would get to handbrake but I'd expect it to act pretty slowly compared to hydraulic brakes: it is meant as a parking brake, not a stopping brake.

I'd also expect it (even though not very efficient at braking) to upset the handling of the car. Anything could happen: emergency only.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 06:46   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Stumbled upon this thread. Got redirected from something else that I was reading.

Nevertheless, let me share a close call while doing Blr -> Del in my new Rapid this April.
I was somewhere near Adilabad on the NH44. There were lot of trucks ahead of me and were all driving left-right-center. Soon they all lined up to let the vehicles behind them pass.
I was in the middle of 3 digit speeds trying to cross this truck. I was half way past the truck when the idiot driver tried to overtake a vehicle just in front of it.
He steered complete right without (or maybe after) looking right. I had to stand on my brakes and pull the handbrake. Though with ABS but the wheels got locked for a second or two skidding the car.
Luckily the maneuver was fast and the brakes & tyres in good condition. The car stopped in time while the truck drove away.
My gf (now wife) started crying. Yes it was a close call which left even me very nervous.
I immediately pulled up and let the feeling sink in that we were alive.

1. If he started overtaking when you were midway overtaking him it means either you were in his blind spot or relied on the assumption that he’ll use his mirrors Honking works in India to make such drivers aware you are overtaking.
2. Never pull the handbrake unless you are at very low speed and main brakes have failed. In any case the handbrake can’t help for panic braking but can make the car swing/drift. The car could have swung right and hit the median if there was one. Could have hit the truck sideways had the car swung left. In the worst case one would cross into oncoming traffic if it’s an undivided road without a median
StopUnderrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 18:32   #584
BHPian

I had a scary experience last week while driving in the rain. Generally, I avoid driving in the rains but this time I didn't expect it to rain so heavily. Anyways I was driving on the highway maintaining a safe distance from the car ahead. A truck was approaching from behind on the adjacent lane and was driving faster. Just before the start of the flyover, there was a big puddle of water, and the truck driver did not realize it and went over it. The water splashed from the wheels of the truck and blinded me for a couple of seconds but I felt much longer at that moment. Never knew so much water could be splashed from wheels. I instinctively braked and since the speed was very less and the road straight, I did could stop safely, and luckily no one was tailing closely. (ignore the date, dashcam keeps messing it up).

Last edited by Meph1st0 : 24th October 2021 at 18:38. Reason: video was not attached
Meph1st0 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 00:15   #585
BHPian

I was on my maiden trip with my new car. The stretch was between Contai and Digha on NH116B, West Bengal. We were cruising at close to 80kmph maintaining sufficient gap from a bus in front. At one point the bus driver slowed down and stopped dead in the middle of the lane to unboard a passenger - I couldn't judge how fast it slowed down and almost rear ended it. We stopped just in the nick of time thanks to the excellent breaks on the Altroz. Fortunately, there was no vehicle behind me. I had my family in the car and my heart in my mouth.
I drive far more carefully now whenever I see a bus/truck on the road. Same goes for auto-rikshaws and tuk-tuks.

dijkstra is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks