Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2022, 06:29   #706
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
There are many turns on mountain roads where you will find this sign
Yea, those signs are present but they are limited and not on every turn on hills, and for very obvious reasons. Also the more recent government designs are to put up no-honking signs (like the one @SS shared). Also I was talking about sensible driving, than opting to honk at every turn irrespective of the signage (which is what you had mentioned earlier). But as long as we agree on the spirit of it, I guess then we are saying the same.

Quote:
Regarding No honking rule, on hill roads, you have to Honk at every such curve. It is mandatory. I don't think this mountain has any different rule.
Old 11th July 2022, 08:05   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Also I was talking about sensible driving, than opting to honk at every turn irrespective of the signage (which is what you had mentioned earlier). But as long as we agree on the spirit of it, I guess then we are saying the same.
The intent is the same. However, I did not wrote that we have to honk on every turn. But, on every 'such' turn. The road is single lane and if honking was allowed, I would have honked before approaching every such turn.
I also take probability into consideration. If there is very less onward traffic and my 5, 6 honks were useless, I will not honk. On the other hand, if it is a very busy road and people are approaching these turns at high speed I will continue to honk.
This is what SS traveler did. He was in a no honk zone, but as he encountered such rash driver, he started to honk. Survival instincts are much stronger than other instincts.

Point 5 in the post on safe driving on ghats thread also intends the same.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post3008648 (Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats)

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 11th July 2022 at 08:07.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 08:21   #708
Senior - BHPian

To each his own.
Personally I don't get why honking is looked down in India. We aren't driving on foreign streets where everyone is following rules and driving peacefully. I encounter so many idiots everyday in NCR that if I won't honk then accidents will happen every other day.

I make it a point to honk everytime I overtake someone so they know my presence and won't swerve suddenly which is a common occurence with three wheeler and two wheeler riders. And i always honk on intersections and blind curves cos there are many who will cross without paying attention to others.

That was a close shave @SS. Such narrow road on a hill and that guy had no concept how to drive on a hilly road. You got lucky, atleast he knows how to brake
harry10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 13:56   #709
BHPian

This happened to me on a lazy Sunday afternoon while I was returning home after a family get together.

This brainless character made an illegal U-Turn and continued his adventure by cutting cross almost two and a half lanes to take the exit.

All this to avoid a proper U-turn 200meters ahead.

God save these guys.
OverKill is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 18:12   #710
BHPian

Bikers almost missed crashing each other and it would've been a disaster with so many variables ( truck, innova, me, i10, 2 bikers ) close by.

chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 22:47   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Bikers almost missed crashing each other ...
A driving instructor told me, Never be the meat in a sandwich. Bikers don't care.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 15:19   #712
anb
BHPian

The bike is coming on the wrong side on a sharp turn. I managed to stop the car in time to avoid a collision.

anb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 17:30   #713
BHPian

I too had the same experience today where a two-wheeler was overtaking blindly in a corner. I had even honked lightly before entering the turn still he was driving as if he had a death wish.

Meph1st0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 22:30   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
The bike is coming on the wrong side on a sharp turn ...
Why do they do this? Isn't it easier to take the bigger-radius curve? Are they totally obsessed with shorter distances, even when it only makes a few metres difference?
Old 10th August 2022, 10:31   #715
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Not an accident video, but something that could have caused accident. We were passing through Kudligi bypass on the Hosapete-Chitradurga stretch of Hampi - Banglore highway. A group of people were blocking the road with a rope and attempting to stop the trucks in front of us, probably to collect money, not sure their motive though. The truck in front of us just zoomed past them and through that gap we were also able to pass. A dangerous act by miscreants on the highway which could lead to accidents!

ajishanand is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:14   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
Not an accident video, but something that could have caused accident. We were passing through Kudligi bypass on the Hosapete-Chitradurga stretch of Hampi - Banglore highway. A group of people were blocking the road with a rope and attempting to stop the trucks in front of us, probably to collect money, not sure their motive though. The truck in front of us just zoomed past them and through that gap we were also able to pass. A dangerous act by miscreants on the highway which could lead to accidents!

https://Youtu.be/HErmB_4ZN4E
I have come across many people stopping vehicles demanding money for the Ganesha Festival / Holi celebration or even their village festival. This was usually on the village roads , I have never seen this happening on a national highway. These miscreants are putting themselves and others lives in danger.
arundeepbv is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:30   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arundeepbv View Post
These miscreants are putting themselves and others lives in danger.

Yes, and that too their rope was not visible, we saw it because the truck on the right side slowed down.
ajishanand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:43   #718
BHPian

Quote:
I had a similar incident a few years ago on the Bangalore to Hyderabad highway. There were around a dozen people who were holding hands and blocked the entire road. I slowed down (did not stop) and all of a sudden, they surrounded the car and started knocking on the windows. Two guys in the front who were blocking my car did not move an inch. Eventually, I had to hit them, at a really slow speed and they continued with me, sitting on the bonnet for 100 yards or so before they gave up and got down.

I have no idea what they wanted. Probably, they had some genuine issue; but that was not really the way people should seek help.
Bhargav7 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 19:36   #719
BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/HErmB_4ZN4E
Faced the exact same issue on 27/31st July on the road that connects evolve back/Hampi zoo to the main highway. There were hooligan kids blocking the road each day with a police station right next door. I managed to slow down and avoid them for 2 days. I saw some or other unsuspecting cars being caught. On the Sunday, there were multiple gangs with ropes. I finally could not avoid them, paid them 100 bucks and thanked the god that they did not mess with the car. It was scary and this is a major disaster waiting to happen.

The shocking thing was that it was being done right across the police station. I am sure police are on this and sharing the spoils.

Last edited by bhushan08 : 10th August 2022 at 19:45. Reason: Grammar
bhushan08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 21:56   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

Ganesh Chaturti is 3 weeks away. This is typical tactic to collect money from passing motorists. Difficult situation if anyone is hit, fleeced if you stop.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks