Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 16:04   #676
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankushgarg View Post
She never bothered to stop or slow down or even look on to her left before crossing the road.
A complete disregard for safety of self and others.

What can we do about this stuff? Show these videos to friends and family? I guess, if they are so convinced that the world will make way for them, and not squash them on the road, they probably don't want to watch.

I just wish we could do something to spread the word outside of this group of enthusiasts, most of whom would never drive that, on two wheels or four.
Old 1st July 2022, 17:04   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkosetto View Post
I would like the BRV driver to be charged with Negligent / Rash driving for this, but since this is not an accident / hit and run as such, is that even possible? If possible, should there be a police complaint or reporting to MVD somehow is enough?
Please tag Kerala Police with the footage. Kerala Police and MVD are very active for such cases and there will be response. A very recent example was just posted here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5348934

You can still do it and will be much more easier for them since its inside the techno park campus with a proper entry/exit logs and have restricted access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
You could've called the police helpline immediately - they would've handled it.
True, they deserve a huge appreciation for taking the effort in trying to clear the mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A complete disregard for safety of self and others.

What can we do about this stuff?
If there is an option to aid the authorities in doing their job, by providing such evidences, that would be the best scheme of action that we can do I think.

Not a fan of doing the policing on our own, but by not acting we are just letting these fellows continue being a risk to others on the road. Most of the stuff we see in these threads show that the accident initiator almost always never end up in the bloody mess they create and carry on to spread damage elsewhere, another time.
sarathlal is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 18:12   #678

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
You could've called the police helpline immediately - they would've handled it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Please tag Kerala Police with the footage. Kerala Police and MVD are very active for such cases and there will be response.
Thanks guys. This was the first time I had such an incident, so was not aware on what needs to be done.
Good to know this, have posted the footage to Kerala Police.
akkosetto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 18:52   #679
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
Easy to say since it’s almost a reflex action but it’d be better to brake in a straight line in such cases and do the best we can instead of swerving. I wonder if enough driver training can produce the legally and logically right response.

Finally the red car entered slightly into your lane and then went back. Ideally you should have slowed down from 60 and “covered” your brakes at that point anyway.
Hitting the brakes was not possible for two reasons. Firstly, I would have lost a second searching for the brakes and secondly, I just overtook a slow moving truck and a bike and was merging into my lane when this happened. Sudden brakes would have been too risky for everyone. I have posted the longer version of the video and you can see just after the near miss that biker, who was behind me, crossed me. Sudden brake would have been catastrofic for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
You were able to react because you were doing normal speeds. The roads are full of these kind of jokers. The road doesn't warrant speeds beyond 50 kmph.
I don't remember my speed, but as I overtook a long truck, I assume it would be around 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
You saved much more than that - probably your car & life (or potential serious injuries).

Kudos to your driving control for not veering into the opposite lane/traffic - you wouldn't have been in the wrong if your reflex action veered your car into the incoming traffic. There have been enough videos on the accident thread where vehicles have (out of reflex) gone into opposite traffic/lanes and causing accident, while avoiding the lone pedestrian/two-wheeler who jumped into their lane.
I think it is more to do with my rapid chess playing skills. I was very good at slow chess (15 min per game or above) but mostly got beaten in rapid chess( 5 min per game). After winning the chess tournament of our office in 2019 and having near misses in the initial rounds which are short rounds, I am training on playing rapid chess (at least 1 hour a day from the past 3 years) and already see an improvement in my ratings. Our brain takes a lot of time to learn to think fast, if it is a slow thinker.
In the video, it was pure chance that there was some space on the right and no one was hurt. I can't say what I would have done if that space was not available. We decide in spur of the moment and thinking again will lead to wrong assumptions, of what we would have done.

Attached Images

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 2nd July 2022 at 19:00.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 10:07   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post

or above) but mostly got beaten in rapid chess( 5 min per game). After winning the chess tournament of our office in 2019 and having near misses in the initial rounds which are short rounds, I am training on playing rapid chess (at least 1 hour a day from the past 3 years) and already see an improvement in my ratings. Our brain takes a lot of time to learn to think fast, if it is a slow thinker.
I should also practice rapid chess. Even I’m a deliberate thinker! Thanks for the tip
Old 4th July 2022, 23:49   #681
BHPian

I don't want to be a regular contributer to this thread, but have to share this one.

Today, I was caught off guard due to a sudden wall of rain, which appeared from nowhere. I was cruising at 100 km/hr on ORR and this happened.

I do not know what is it called. It was like hitting a wall of heavy rain with zero visibility. I could see the car in front of me hitting the brakes and I was wondering why? When I entered this zone, I realised why.

Luckily he didn't brake hard otherwise we both were gone. I also continued with slow speed and within seconds the wall was gone.

I have experienced sudden fog, but this was completely new for me.

Has anyone of you experienced this? It was not sudden rain which starts for everyone at the same time. It was heavy rain on a small section, creating a wall, in which you enter and God willing exit safely!

Tip for next time: Slow down, start your wipers in full speed. Hold on to the steering and push forward like a champ!

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 4th July 2022 at 23:51.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 00:15   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone of you experienced this? It was not sudden rain which starts for everyone at the same time. It was heavy rain on a small section, creating a wall, in which you enter and God willing exit safely!
Yes, on a British motorway, at higher speeds! It was like driving into the face of a waterfall. It would be controversial here, but all vehicles turned on their hazard lights. Which helped cars behind to slow down in good time.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 10:17   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Today, I was caught off guard due to a sudden wall of rain, which appeared from nowhere. I was cruising at 100 km/hr on ORR and this happened.

I do not know what is it called. It was like hitting a wall of heavy rain with zero visibility. I could see the car in front of me hitting the brakes and I was wondering why?
Quote:
It was like driving into the face of a waterfall.
This is a regular phenomenon during Monsoons on the Mumbai - Pune E-way.

All the tunnels have strong stream of water falling at their entry and exit points.

Though the intensity of the water falling may not be as strong as it is here, but what makes the situation difficult is the fact that you are either moving into darkness in the tunnel from natural light OR moving out of darkness within tunnel into natural light. It takes a moment or two for your eyes to adjust to the changing light, and within those very moments, you have a sudden strong stream of water falling onto your windshield.

Since this is an expected event, usually most of the drivers are mentally prepared (majority of them being regulars) and that helps to take proactive manoeuvre like slowing down in the tunnel/turning your hazard lights on etc to handle such water streams suddenly falling onto your windshield.
Old 5th July 2022, 11:09   #684
BHPian

Quote:
It would be controversial here, but all vehicles turned on their hazard lights. Which helped cars behind to slow down in good time.
Not controversial at all, I'd be surprised if anyone here thinks the hazards shouldn't be used to indicate exactly that, hazards.

Where the general public go wrong is the usage of hazards continuously while driving in heavy rain.

The way I see hazards are, if I spot any obstacle/hazard in front of me and I'm going to slow down excessively, then I turn the hazards on, stop if I have to or move to another lane and then turn it off once I have ensured the obstacle has been crossed.

The obstacle could very well be a wall of rain if that's what the flavor of the day is for the road . But if the wall of rain is continuing for the rest of the route, then in my opinion the decision should be to turn it off or move to the sides and stop the car if visibility is very poor.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 5th July 2022 at 11:11.
krishnakumar is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 12:47   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, on a British motorway, at higher speeds! It was like driving into the face of a waterfall. It would be controversial here, but all vehicles turned on their hazard lights. Which helped cars behind to slow down in good time.
What is controversial here? Absolutely the right thing to do, in Britain or India, to alert drivers behind
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 16:42   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To make things worse, there was a pedestrian on left side of the road - trapping my car in between.
Such beautiful foothpaths on both sides of the road and yet many choose to walk on the roads forgetting that they are the most prone to losing limb/life in case of an accident.

Was the gif speeded up?

Wonder what the BRV guy was doing. Oh well.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 16:51   #687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
This is a regular phenomenon during Monsoons on the Mumbai - Pune E-way.

Since this is an expected event, usually most of the drivers are mentally prepared (majority of them being regulars) and that helps to take proactive manoeuvre like slowing down in the tunnel/turning your hazard lights on etc to handle such water streams suddenly falling onto your windshield.
The downside of that, especially on the Mumbai - Pune E-way is many drivers turn on their hazard lights every time they enter a tunnel, throughout the entire year (forget about water streams during rains/monsoon). And this follows a domino effect with one car with hazard lights followed by many more behind him/her and so on.

On the contrary, I have found putting on the headlights and reducing speed sufficient enough through last 10 years of riding on the E-way across all seasons. Used to do almost every weekend drive for about 3 years a decade ago. Very few times have I found a need to put on hazard lights, and that is generally when there's an blockage/slowdown due to an accident close to the tunnel and/or folks stopping near one of the waterfalls close to the tunnels.
Old 5th July 2022, 17:49   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... was able to manoeuvre through this without hitting the BRV. Pedestrian though got a slight knock by my Left RVM, on realising this I stopped the vehicle. She was shocked, but was OK and not injured. The BRV fled the scene though....
As a pedestrian, shouldn't she be on the footpath - which appears to be well built with guard rails? Had this event led to even a minor scrape, it would have blamed on the car driver - nobody would point out that walking on the road when there is a footpath is plain stupidity. Even literate / educated people don't use the footpath!
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 18:32   #689
BHPian

Quote:
I don't want to be a regular contributer to this thread, but have to share this one.

I do not know what is it called. It was like hitting a wall of heavy rain with zero visibility. I could see the car in front of me hitting the brakes and I was wondering why? When I entered this zone, I realised why.

Luckily he didn't brake hard otherwise we both were gone. I also continued with slow speed and within seconds the wall was gone.

I have experienced sudden fog, but this was completely new for me.

Tip for next time: Slow down, start your wipers in full speed. Hold on to the steering and push forward like a champ!

https://Youtu.be/OIxQdOyKXEo
This happens in the highways during monsoons were there are cloud bursts for a short distance and the duration of such sudden short distance downpour is small. Nevertheless it can get dangerous.
Old 5th July 2022, 19:03   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Even literate / educated people don't use the footpath!
They do actually, all around the country. Only a small problem.

Bikes and rickshaws drive on the footpaths and pedestrians walk on the road

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks